SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

MS Vista

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Tae
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Another good read: Linux is NOT Windows

"DO YOU LOVE ME?IF YES THEN CALL ME LETS MAKE LOVE ON THE PHONE." DR.CLIFFORD ANDERSON

Kill a bank a day!
Ivor Grimey Colon
"Trophy slut"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ I've read that one before and can highly recommend it.

"If your bait does not cause an ethics thread, you are not baiting hard enough." - YeaWhatever

Pimp My Number | A Donation a Day keeps Nurse Nasty at bay
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have a question about Ubuntu linux, I have an Ubuntu live demo and and install CD, I can't see the live demo because it says you need at least 128MB of RAM, I only have 32MB Ram on this computer.

But to install the Ubuntu on my computer I only need 32MB RAM, which I have, and it says I have to have an Intel x86-based computer, how do I tell if my computer has that x86 thing? By the way, this CD is a couple of years old, it's version 5.04 for Intel x86

On the install CD cover it says:

Quote:
Use this CD if you want to install Ubuntu on your computer. To install Ubuntu, put the CD in the CD drive, turn on or restart the computer and follow thw directions on screen.

The default installation will erase all existing software and data from your computer. However an expert installation mode is available. If you want to keep your existing files alongside Ubuntu, follow the on screen instructions carefully during installation.

Now, my questions are, if I install Ubuntu, what exactly does it erase from my computer, does it completely wipe Windows ME from my machine?

Also, I have a lot of html files and numerous notepad files in my documents folder, will all ofthose be erased, or, as it says on the Ubuntu CD cover "If you want to keep your existing files alongside Ubuntu, follow the onscreen instructions", so, will I be able to keep all my html webpage files and notepad files etc, I dont want all those erased?

I had a read of the Ubuntu site, and note that you can use FireFox on Ubuntu, I thought Ubuntu had it's own browser, no? Will my screen when using FireFox look exactly the same as it is now on Windows ME, not sure whether to install this or not.

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery
Tae
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You can either install Ubuntu instead Windows, which will erase all your data or you can set up a dual boot system.

I've set up a dual boot system with Windows XP and Ubuntu several times without any problems. You should save your important data anyway, just in case you push the wrong button.

If you have a "normal" PC it's probably x86.

"DO YOU LOVE ME?IF YES THEN CALL ME LETS MAKE LOVE ON THE PHONE." DR.CLIFFORD ANDERSON

Kill a bank a day!
Ivor Grimey Colon
"Trophy slut"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That's a lot of questions, SP, let's see what I can do:
Quote:
I have a question about Ubuntu linux, I have an Ubuntu live demo and and install CD, I can't see the live demo because it says you need at least 128MB of RAM, I only have 32MB Ram on this computer.
I wouldn't reccomend running Ubuntu (using the GNOME desktop) with only 32MB of RAM. GNOME is quite a heavyweight desktop environment, and is likely to be quite sluggish with less than 128MB. I reccomend you use Xubuntu, which uses XFCE, a lighter desktop environment.
If you wish to use standard Ubuntu with the GNOME desktop, you can install it using the Alternate install CD. This installs in text mode (not the same as command-line, just means no mouse), and will therefore run with less RAM.

Quote:
But to install the Ubuntu on my computer I only need 32MB RAM, which I have, and it says I have to have an Intel x86-based computer, how do I tell if my computer has that x86 thing? By the way, this CD is a couple of years old, it's version 5.04 for Intel x86
x86 is the architecture used my the majority of laptop and desktop processors. If you've got an Intel or AMD processor in your computer, it's x86 compatible.

Quote:
Now, my questions are, if I install Ubuntu, what exactly does it erase from my computer, does it completely wipe Windows ME from my machine?

Also, I have a lot of html files and numerous notepad files in my documents folder, will all ofthose be erased, or, as it says on the Ubuntu CD cover "If you want to keep your existing files alongside Ubuntu, follow the onscreen instructions", so, will I be able to keep all my html webpage files and notepad files etc, I dont want all those erased?

It's only common sense to back up all files you don't want to lose when doing something like installing a new OS, but if you do it right, you shouldn't have to erase anything.
To install Linux alongside WinME, you'll need to partition the disk. You'll probably find that the Win partition is FAT32, and takes up the whole disk, so you'll need to defragment it, then shrink it. I assume you know how to defrag, and shrinking can be done by the partitioning tool on your install disk (it's easiest if you use a graphical install like the Xubuntu disk if you haven't partitioned before).

You can then tell the installer to partition up the free space as necessary (you'll want to shrink the Windows partition by at least 2GB, but more if you can), or if you're feeling confident, partition it yourself. You'll want a boot parition (ext2) of about 10 MB, which is where the kernel image and bootloader are installed, then a root partition (ext3) for the system files, around 2GB minimum and probably a home partition (ext3) for your documents and settings, which can take up as much space as you'll need.
Once again, BACK UP anything you don't want to lose. I made the mistake of assume I knew what I was doing and lost all my and my family's documents the first time I tried to partition my disk.

Since your Windows partition is FAT32, you'll still be able to access it from Linux.
The installer will also set up a bootloader with options to boot into either Linux or Windows.

Quote:
I had a read of the Ubuntu site, and note that you can use FireFox on Ubuntu, I thought Ubuntu had it's own browser, no? Will my screen when using FireFox look exactly the same as it is now on Windows ME, not sure whether to install this or not.
There's a multitude of browsers for Linux. Ubuntu doesn't have it's "own" browser, but will have the GNOME browser/file manager Nautilus installed by default, as well as Firefox.
If you install the same extensions and themes for Firefox on Linux as on Windows, yes they'll look exactly the same.

HTH! Smile

"If your bait does not cause an ethics thread, you are not baiting hard enough." - YeaWhatever

Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Cheers Tae and IGC, you have well and truly put me off trying to install linux Laughing

Not sure I can make a back up of files on this computer, tried it before and it wouldn't let me save it or something, can't remember, most of what you said went flying over my head, I think I wil give linux a miss, thanks for explainging what a pain in the ass it is to install.

[edit]

Can someone refresh me about how I make a back up files, like in saving them on to a CD, or is it on to a floppy disc?

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery
Ivor Grimey Colon
"Trophy slut"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You can backup your files by getting a USB stick, copying the files you don't want to lose, and pasting them into a folder on the USB stick, or getting a blank CD, and burning a copy of the files on there.

Yes you need to learn a few new things to install Linux, but think of it like this: Learning to drive is a pain in the arse, but once you've done it, you've got a lot more freedom. Installing Linux is a lot easier than driving.
But if you're happy riding someone else's bus, it's entirely up to you Wink

If you want something which hides all the technical aspects of installing Linux, openSUSE is a good'n.

Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

How do these memory sticks work, is it a case of plugging it in to the back of your computer, then some box pops up after you plug it in, and lets you drag files in to the box to save them on the memory stick?

After you save it to the stick, net time you plug the stick in to the computer, a box opens and lets you save them to your computer again?

Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^Yes

u can keep sending money to Gomer and leave me alone - Agent Smith cracks up

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"
Sand Timer - 18 mths: Louis

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
Ivor Grimey Colon
"Trophy slut"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Pretty much. In Windows ME, you might have to go to My Computer and open "Removable Disk" after plugging it in, but other than that, you've got it pretty much spot on.

You'll need a spare USB port to plug the stick in to, as well.

Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok, cheers, you can all carry on with your viasta chat now Very Happy

kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ivor Grimey Colon wrote:
You can backup your files by getting a USB stick ...

I'd need a stack of DVDs. Cool

I usually do backups across a network to other harddisks. At any one time I have up to seven copies of everything, not counting the archive DVDs.
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm late to this thread, and since it has become an OS discussion since I last saw it, I'll add my own 2 cents.

Pastor Frank wrote:
I figure that if I am going to make a clean break from MS this would be the time to do it. (Between XP and Vista)
I did the same thing between W2000 and XP. I decided that the XP EULA was something I was never going to agree with. I had had paid-for Windows installations since Windows 3.0. I haven't looked back since. If I want a cutting-edge game I use the Playstation, and nothing else needs Windows.
Quote:
I don't want to go through the XP security and patch nightmare again with Vista.
There are about as many security patchs for Linux as for Windows, but they install quickly, don't break the machine and don't require rebooting 90% of the time. The only time I had a problem was when the kernel changed and I did not reboot as required, but did restart the GUI, whereupon the graphics driver failed becuase it was running against the wrong kernel. Once I understood, a reboot fixed it.
Quote:
Like you I have been on a PC for many years and if I make the change it will be painful to say the least.
Back when I was a newbie with Mandriva Linux, it was generally one month between a Linux-virgin newbie appearing on the mailing list, and and the first time they answered another newbie's question. There is a learning curve but it only takes about a month to be fairly comfortable.

With both Windows and Linux you will occasionally find a problem that has you tearing out your hair for three days. The difference is that with Windows you end up having reformatted, reinstalled, maybe lost all your data, learned nothing and feeling worthless. With Linux you learn something new, get it working and feel empowered.

Everyone ships Microsoft drivers with hardware, most ship OSX drivers, but only a few ship Linux drivers. As a result Microsoft is easier to use. My new phone comes with nice applications that I could use with Windows, but if I want to use it with Linux I have to go out and search for third-party software that will do the same thing. If all you want is a basic PC, then Linux is just as easy as Windows, and once you have everything installed for some new feature you want to have, it is still just as easy. But to get that new feature you have to do research and some fiddling.

http://webaugur.com/bibliotheca/field_stock/os-airlines.html wrote:
Linux Airlines
Disgruntled employees of all the other OS airlines decide to start their own airline. They build the planes, ticket counters, and pave the runways themselves. They charge a small fee to cover the cost of printing the ticket, but you can also download and print the ticket yourself. When you board the plane, you are given a seat, four bolts, a wrench and a copy of the seat-HOWTO.html. Once settled, the fully adjustable seat is very comfortable, the plane leaves and arrives on time without a single problem, the in-flight meal is wonderful. You try to tell customers of the other airlines about the great trip, but all they can say is, "You had to do what with the seat?"

I'm not a Mac fan, but on a simple cost analysis Linux wins. Apple is generally more expensive than Microsoft. Linux is almost totally free of cost. (Although now OSX is based on BSD Unix, you do have the free software available too, with the Linux-type research and fiddling.)

KDE is closer to the Windows experience than the other desktops. So at the moment I would suggest Kubuntu. Because all the patches and new software comes from the Internet, I would not advise Linux if you don't have a broadband Internet connection.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Scam Patroller wrote:

Hmmm, I have always been under the impression that this computer was only 32MB RAM, I just noticed when I was running CCleaner, that it says this at the top of the CCleaner screen:

Quote:
MS Windows ME
256MB RAM, RAGE PRO TURBO AGP X2

Went to control panel and double clicked on the "system" icon, and that says I have 256MB RAM, could have swore on my life it said 32 before Confused

But, why can I not run the Ubuntu live demo CD, I get the Ubuntu screen where it gives the stuff you can download, like FireFox, Audacity, OpenOffice etc, but can't see how to get the live demo, it suggests to reboot your computer and leave the CD in whilst doing so, did that but nothing happens when I reboot?

Last edited by Scam Patroller on Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
Mr Fishe
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

For a split second I was about to edit out your personal details there, Mr Person. Laughing

Magic eye fun: Western Union MoneyGram
Pre-transfer red tape: Department of Homeland Security HM Revenue & Customs
Mandatory customer survey: Western Union

"I have decided to leave the church and join a travelling circus..." - the original and best
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^^ Laughing, think it was already configured as Mr Person Person when I got the computer.

One more question, I need to run a DVD ROM and it says I need a minimum of Windows 98SE to run it, did 98SE come out after Windows ME? Because the DVD wont start in ME, cheers.

Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^98 Was before ME (millenium Edition) Don't worry, NOTHING works under ME

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
Ziggyzap
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sod Vista OSX 10 is so much better.

MAY YOU DIE A DEAD BEFORE YOUR DEATH.

iF YOU KNOW THAT YOU HAVE A TESTICLE BETWEEN YOUR TWO LEG GO AND GIVE YOUR
MOTHER BELLE EWU LIKE YOU
www.owenswinebar.co.nr
wayne
Account closed at users request

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
it suggests to reboot your computer and leave the CD in whilst doing so, did that but nothing happens when I reboot?

Is your PC set in the BIOS to boot from the CD drive before the hard drive?

Quote:
RAGE PRO TURBO AGP X2

Which I think has 32meg not your PC.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Ziggyzap. Damn right.

@wayne. I don't think the rage pro turbo ever came with more then 8mb of vram, don't forget that it's about 10 years old now.

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So many commentable statements but I will only ask:
Quote:
I would not advise Linux if you don't have a broadband Internet connection.
Why? I started using Linux with a dialup and it worked fine. Setup was easy. And that was when I knew almost nothing about Linux and it was in its less friendly form than it is now. Much more manual file manipulation than now.

I would say that you can use Linux no matter what kind of connection you have.

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

wayne wrote:
Is your PC set in the BIOS to boot from the CD drive before the hard drive?

Wayne, this is me you are talking to, I don't understand anything about what you wrote Confused Is there a button to click somewhere which will tell me the answer to what you asked?

remu
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The first screen that comes up when you boot should say something to the effect of "Press F2 to enter SETUP". Press the button it indicates. Somewhere inside that it should have a list of devices from which it can boot, and you need to make sure that CD-ROM is the first item it tries to boot from.

Failing that, you can try Smart BootManager, which lets you make a floppy disk that will boot from CD. Assuming your computer will boot from a floppy, that is Wink

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^^ I don't get any "press F2" message when I boot, just the usual black screen that says updating files and then continuing to load windows, then the Windows ME screen, then desktop starts loading.

I don't understand all that stuff on the link you posted, i tried making a floppy disk before but I don't know if it worked, not even sure how to burn it using that nero burning rom tool, never sure if it actually copies the stuff or not, and I only have one floppy disk which is at least 8 years old and I think that doesn't work.

remu
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ Hmm, there is some way to get into a setup screen on your computer, but it could be F1, F2, F3 (rare), F8, F10, F12, Tab, Delete, or (on one computer that I've seen) M. Usually they are nice enough to tell you, but in your case I guess they didn't. Usually you only have a one or two second time period to hit the right key during boot up Confused

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic