SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

MS Vista

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Pretty much every PC game is available on the Mac and usually with the bugs ironed out. Plus, isn't it difficult to play games on a PC with it crashing all the time? Wink

u can keep sending money to Gomer and leave me alone - Agent Smith cracks up

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"
Sand Timer - 18 mths: Louis

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
remu
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ Windows being particularly unstable is a complete myth, and I don't even use it so it's not like I'm being a fanboy.

Linux still wins Laughing

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

OK not particularly and once I can get Linux up and running I gonna be very happy, but lets face it Microsoft have hardly made the most stable OS

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
remu
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would argue that since XP Windows has been stable. Before that it was awful, ME was a particularly bad lowlight. But XP could run for weeks without rebooting with no trouble.

And Windows 3.1 was stable. Windows 3.1 was awesome Laughing Laughing Laughing

I don't really have any experience with vista so far, so I can't comment on it yet.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Windows 3.1 and DOS were great. Problem is neither will run Quake 4

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
They cited multiple causes--the general feeling is that it's a prettier version of XP, with more FX, but that's been fundamentally botched from the word go.
Thanks. It is nice to hear from someone who has tested it for a business environment. Since I assume they are testing it with an eye to support and customer satisfaction and not as a personal opinion.

I have heard it is just a price upgrade to XP (so M$ can make some more money) just like ME was.

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

From what i've heard on Vista, you have to buy the Uber expensive Emperor Edition to get half of the useful(useless?) features. Scrooge Home Edition is basically XP with a flashier skin.

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Rodus Longus wrote:
Windows 3.1 and DOS were great. Problem is neither will run Quake 4

I couldn't give a volant coitus about Quake 4 or any other game out there. The last game I ever played was Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards, 1989.

I'm happily running Win98SE on almost all of my machines. I don't miss much. Except Skype.

Don't laugh at me. All of those who say they're going to avoid Vista will be on the receiving end of the laughter before long.
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^Lesiure Suit Larry (goes all misty eyed) now that was a game. Come to think about it my Amiga 500 had better games then anything around now. Rainbow Islands, Wizzball etc.

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

Saint Arnold
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^^ Leisure Suit Larry? Pffft. There hasn't been a worthwhile game made for the PC since Infocom went belly up. Give me Trinity, or Zork, and you can keep your old Sierra Online games.

@KD, do you mean that we'll all be laughing at the folks who don't do the Vista upgrade, or the folks who do?

My teenage son has been wanting to install Vista. I had him read through this thread. He's getting Linux. His favorite apps are World of Warcraft (or course), Photoshop CS, and all the usual teenage stuff - various instand messengers, etc. He's checking but so far all will work fine on Linux.

Our legal team are on standby for the next line of action in this very interesting case.already they are still studying the MTCN number that you sent,it will be used as evidence together with your full names and address,when this epic battle commences. - the one and only Charles Soludo

--------------------------
Cellphone x15 (RIP) United Kingdom x7 South Africa x1
Safari Lottery lad, Benin City - Abuja Safari A new minister, Lagos-Benin City Safari The same minister, Lagos - Tamale, Ghana
Safari Dr. Johnson - Abidjan-Abuja and back again (so far! - 1666 miles round trip)

pony <----because life can seem bleary and bleak without one. TS
pony Because Lotta is a great and beautiful mod!
Mortar x21
shishtavi
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I went to vista for a few simple reasons

First I have a 64bit chip and want an OS to support that (and I game heavily) I also found xp64 not to be worth it.

Also I tried sticking with an OS (Win98se) for years before I switched to xp and found that it wasnt worth the pain. Compared to my last dozen XP installations, installing vista was more or less sitting down to read a book for 45 minutes or so then very little setting up afterwards (save for a very few stupid power settings Vista uses by default)

But, having said that, there is no compelling reason for upgrading to vista until they release a service pack and do some good tweaking to it. Although using XP at work looks horrible now Laughing

"YOU WONT RUN FAR FROM CR0WLEY AND HIS PLUMBERS, I DONT LIKE MUGUS TURNING ME AROUND." - Denny Both

"it should have occured to me being stranded the second time here in Ghana and your miserable organization cant even offer a $100 for my rescue,idiots!" - M0ses Uz3m3

"I need to get my donation now or else i will be forced to think ortherwise" - m0ses uz3m3
Safari x2 Lagos-Accra
Safari lagos-tamale: courtesy of SP
Miss Behaving
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

kleindoofy wrote:

I couldn't give a volant coitus about Quake 4 or any other game out there.

You need the present participle in its masculine nominative singular inflection, not the indicative active third person plural in the present.

volans coitus

Latin rules Wink

remu
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

kleindoofy wrote:
I'm happily running Win98SE on almost all of my machines. I don't miss much. Except Skype.

Why keep that insecure pile of rubbish on your computers? Install Ubuntu or Kubuntu (or Xubuntu if they are particularly slow machines) with the easy installer CD, and use Skype-Linux. Works perfectly. Very Happy

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Two of my housemates "have" Vista...

Housemate One-New PC, 3 trips to "Worst Buy" all costing him money, last trip he demanded a full refund and wouldn't leave until they gave him one. He's now getting someone to build him a computer sans Vista...

Housemate Two-Blue screen of death repeatedly, he's now reinstalled XP

Other housemate is what i call a "geek"-he wouldn't touch Vista for at least three years and is happy with XP.

Me-i'm looking for a laptop and will go the linux way... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
who say they're going to avoid Vista
M$ can at any time force a download patch to XP that will cancel your activation key. You will then have to upgrade. I'm not saying they will or wouldn't but that they can if they want. Read your EULA. Also if support ends for XP, nothing will run on it anymore so if you wanted to run the latest programs, you will have to use vista. Unless all of the companies refuse to follow M$. But when has that happened before? A couple of knee caps here and there and people will get the message.

"To Serve Man"
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Miss Behaving wrote:
... You need the present participle in its masculine nominative singular inflection, not the indicative active third person plural in the present. volans coitus ...

Ye, I was using the anglicized form. Latin would have another order: "coitus volans."

But I still couldn't give one. Laughing
Mr Fishe
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I will be changing to Vista, eventually, but only for DirectX 10. The likes of Crysis and Alan Wake (clicky for in engine shot) are just too damn pretty to miss out on.

Magic eye fun: Western Union MoneyGram
Pre-transfer red tape: Department of Homeland Security HM Revenue & Customs
Mandatory customer survey: Western Union

"I have decided to leave the church and join a travelling circus..." - the original and best
Radden
** SUSPENDED **

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I like the looks of Vista very very much, but I too have read through all of the negative feedback about it (from windows fans Wink ) and I won't be doing the upgrade for quite some time, but eventually I probably will. I love XP to death, and when I upgraded to XP from 98 SE, I found my life to be easier. I've never had a blue screen of death on XP.. never! So I'm sticking with Microsoft because it's user-friendly, and it plays every new game that comes out, and a crap load of my old games (I still have age of empires 2 installed, and play it)
Ivor Grimey Colon
"Trophy slut"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Radden wrote:
I'm sticking with Microsoft because it's user-friendly
Based on meyer's post, I'd beg to differ. Microsoft is Microsoft friendly. Their software is no 'easier' to use than anyone else's, from my experience.

"If your bait does not cause an ethics thread, you are not baiting hard enough." - YeaWhatever

Pimp My Number | A Donation a Day keeps Nurse Nasty at bay
Kickstart
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I was on the beta cycle for vista, and I have no intention at the moment of EVER installing it as a live OS.

It just does too much in the background (vid & sound hardware will have to check every 30ms that what is being played is certified original). There are many other "features" like that that aren't enabled yet, but will be when MS turns them on.

I have heard nothing but horror stories so far of failed installations of retail vista, one on a virtually identical machine to mine that beta ran on.

Also, the cheap version is as far as I can tell WORSE than XP-PRO, and for approximately the cost of your hardware, you can get the souped up version.

If you HAVE to upgrade (i.e. gamers) Please, wait until a month or two after a major service pack comes out. Also I hear there's a stopgap-DX 9.5 or similar on its way, which will allow DX10 games to play on high spec hardware so don't panic to upgrade.

I used to run Linux Mandrake, and would definately prefer that to dumping my hardware and going one mouse button mackitosh.

EDIT I just remembered, many gamers are complaining about losing up to 10FPS going from XP to Vista.

Tutorial - Backup your Gmail
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^I suspect the reason that gamers are getting slowdown is because directX is so tightly tied up into the OS. Macs have the exact same issue with OS X and open GL and there's bugger all you can do about it, but it sure does look pretty Wink

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

Radden
** SUSPENDED **

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@Ivor - That was based on Vista Wink. Yes, Microsoft has control over its customers, just like any other operating system (besides open-source os). There are some fine lines that shouldn't be crossed by Microsoft, but if you agree to their TOS, you're agreeing to what you most likely didn't read.
Ivor Grimey Colon
"Trophy slut"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ IMHO, those fine lines have been crossed. But it depends how much someone else deciding what you can't do with your own computer you're willing to accept.

"If your bait does not cause an ethics thread, you are not baiting hard enough." - YeaWhatever

Pimp My Number | A Donation a Day keeps Nurse Nasty at bay
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Since we are talking about vista, it might be informative to read this

And if you are switching to Ubuntu you could read this

"To Serve Man"
Kickstart
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thankyou good Dr. A good read that was.

Tutorial - Backup your Gmail
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic