SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

My bank account was hacked > $4000

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
harrya
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I got an email from the bank this morning. At first I thought it was a phishing email.
I looked closer and there was no links or anything untoward. Just the banks fraud department asking me to call them. I then tried to log into online banking only to get a message your account is suspended.
Please call the bank.
So I did.
The up shot of it was some one in three seperate withdrawals took over $4000 aussie dollars. They also transferred a furthe 3k between the accounts.
It appears that the transfers where last night and early this morning and where transferred to the same bank company.
This was all detected before the banks would be open so the accounts it was transferred to should have been frozen before anything is withdrawn.
I hope Shocked
My passwords and info are only kept in my head. I've rescaned everything with AVG and Ewido and found nothing other than that my 17 year old has been erm researching how to make babies. His birthday was going to be in a few days Evil or Very Mad
Apart from that I had a loverly day as my girlfriend bought me a lesson at the local flying club for my birthday. Weather was perfect and the scenery was great.

I'm pretty sure this is a result of the new cheque mule scam except there are no checks involved. Just internet transfers. It's cheaper for the scammer as they don't have to make anything or post anything. Just find a trusting chump to do your dirtywork.

Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Man that sucks, sorry to hear it. Luckily I have so little money in my bank account it wouldn't be worth the time or effort to hack mine. I'd go crazy if that happened to me.
Goldry Bluszco
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Once upon a time I had quite a lot of money in the bank, and you know what, it actually caused me sleepless nights!

Now that I am happily broke once again, I sleep like a baby. Having money sucks.

pony
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Happened to me three years ago, just before Christmas.

The thing that annoyed me most, was that the bank informed me that it was their money that had been stolen and not mine (as I would get mine back).
So why was it me wasting a day and a half waiting to be seen at the local nick and filling out the crime forms? Evil or Very Mad

If it's LADS you want. GoTo: http://www.yopmail.com/
and sign in with either ladmail or kentbrockman
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The money was transferred to another account?
Was it your account or one belonging to the scammer?

If it's the latter, the bank has the records and should reimburse you immediately. If the former, you can still push the bank for a refund - there have been cases where account details have been stolen from the bank (ie: an employee loses a laptop with your account details on it). Some banks don't even use security software to guard their PCs.

I don't know how it works in Australia, but in the UK a bank must give a full refund if the customer has acted with reasonable care. The problem you've got is that the bank might see you as having left yourself open by being involved in baitiing.
spot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

harrya wrote:
I'm pretty sure this is a result of the new cheque mule scam except there are no checks involved.

Just out of interest ..... what makes you think that; how do you make a connection ?

harrya
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Spot there has been a lot of cheque mule scams that seem to taget Australia, New Zealand amonst otheres. I tried baiting a few and the outcome was always "we want a bank account to transfer funds" rather than an address.

I started a thread about it awhile back. At the time no one seemed to understand.
And now I'm a victim Confused second party victim I guess.
I'll be re thinking my banking arrangements very very soon.

Cheers all.

Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@Harrya

Are you saying you gave out RL bank info? How else could the lads have made a connection?

It will be better if you can give me your mother to have some nice sex with her - Mosola Mickelson
TO HELL WITH YOU MR. MACK TRUQUE WHAT A HOPELESS ANIMAL YOU ARE - Susan Yehuda
MONEY TALKS BULL-SHIRT WORKS - Mrs Angel Macathy (orphanage scambag)
harrya
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Nick No way.

This has nothing to do with my baits.

It's just a good hacker and I became the vic.

Lock up your daughters and your bank accounts.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That really sucks. I hope you will be able to recover the $$$

I keep a large amount of $ in the hourse $ 100.00 and the only one
hack this money is me Laughing

Pith Helmet Lagos to Ghana Opus Dei Templar
Pith Helmet Nukuru to Mombasa 1,500 kms van donation
Pith Helmet Co bait with SlowFreddy Sao Tome island to Gabon Pith Helmet Lagos to Abuja Co, donation
YOUR WIFE WILL GIVE BIRTH TO A MONKEY, YOU ARE GOING TO SUFFER FROM EPILEPTIC,
LET YOUR MOTHER FUCK YOUR BEST FRIEND. LET YOUR FATHER FUCK A MAD STREET WOMAN, USELESS INTERNET FRAUDSTER. (barrister Dan )
I bet u , soon , u will be laying in a close casket ,
will make u understand that i'm a spiritual man (Makinwa the retarded mugu)
in juses name u will dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
( Makinwa)
Franc28
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

How can anyone take money from your bank account without you giving them any info? I don't believe this story at all.

Fighting the forces of censorship and getting his sig deleted by admins since 1989.
Seven of Nine
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ A machine compromised by a keystroke logger is the culprit in many instances.

Also, "skimming" stored information on debit cards at ATM's or by unscrupulous merchants and passing the information to members of OC networks for "card cloning" still remains a significant problem. Easier to argue your way out of if the suspect transactions occurred at location X and you're at location H.

EDIT: If you receive phishing emails, DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS. You could unknowingly allow a rogue site the opportunity to install a keystroke logger script or other malicious code.

The computer security gurus amongst us may wish to provide input.

EDIT #2: The following excerpt from the OP may hold the key:
harrya wrote:
......My passwords and info are only kept in my head. I've rescaned everything with AVG and Ewido and found nothing other than that my 17 year old has been erm researching how to make babies. His birthday was going to be in a few days......

persephone
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Damn Harrya, that sucks. Will the money be reimbursed in some way? Or did you loose the 4,000 once and for all?

Closed lad accounts loads
pony pony Mortar x46 United States 3x Canada Malaysia 2x Netherlands 2x Nigeria 2x Ghana 3x Ivory Coast 9x United Kingdom 3x Spain Bahamas, The Germany Australia Algerian Flag Togo 2x Cellphone Pretty Rose Safari 4 days of travel - 7 days stuck in airport
SlayerFaith
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Franc28 wrote:
How can anyone take money from your bank account without you giving them any info? I don't believe this story at all.

Are you serious, Franc? 7/9 nailed it perfectly! Keyloggers, malware, skimming, fake ATMs, crooked merchants, or picking through your trash for "credit card" offers; there's any number of ways for your bank account/ personal info to be hijacked without you doing a damned thing wrong. I'm rather surprised that, having been here rather longer than I have, you don't know that Confused

Mugu Reseller Ukraine x2 United Kingdom x24 United States x7 Spain x5 Nigeria x5 Russia x96 South Africa x2 Ivory Coast x2 Netherlands x2 Ghana x2 Australia x2 cameroon x2 Japan x3 Germany Malaysia Canada Benin x3 Malawi France United Arab Emirates United Nations x2 x2 (in a team effort)

ANIMAL,MY FRIEND MY PRAYER IS THIS,LET ALL MY ENEMIES BE IN TROUBLE LIKE CHRIST INGIGE,AND LAZY PEOPLE LIKE YOU BE LIKE WABARA.THANK YOU- Kelechukwu Nduka
"Did he say they have an inflatable pig? That's sick!"- Crash, Vegas 06
"You can be a right Bitch sometimes SF"- Cherrie, GenChat 07

Naked Mod pics!
star
Tricia
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This seems rather strange to me. Most likely your card has been copied in some store or with a fake ATM. Keylogger is the other possibility. Check again with Windows Defender, Free AV and Ad-Aware SE. Ewido is a good program which I sometimes use myself.

Caveat: If you suspect that your computer will be used as evidence, I would seek professional legal and IT help, depending on your local jurisdiction. PC forensic analysis should only be done by experts with proper equipment and legal framework.

I doubt that your computer is the attack vector, though.

Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Gee that really sucks. I've been afraid of online banking. I do direct deposit and use my credit card for a few payments. This is to limit liabilities. I've heard that debit cards do not have the same protections as CCs.

Sounds like your flying lesson went well. Practice your stall recoveries on your next lessons. Work towards the solo. Very Happy

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
scampette
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

All they would need is your checking account # and the banks routing # for accounts here in the US. And that information is printed on the bottom of every check a person cashes. It surprises me that there is not more fraud using those numbers than there is.

scampette
Dinnertime Mbuzo
Account closed at users request

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tricia wrote:
This seems rather strange to me. Most likely your card has been copied in some store or with a fake ATM. Keylogger is the other possibility. Check again with Windows Defender, Free AV and Ad-Aware SE. Ewido is a good program which I sometimes use myself.

Caveat: If you suspect that your computer will be used as evidence, I would seek professional legal and IT help, depending on your local jurisdiction. PC forensic analysis should only be done by experts with proper equipment and legal framework.

I doubt that your computer is the attack vector, though.

None of those programs will work against any decent keylogger.
The latest loggers work at kernel level and dont appear on any process lists.
Use a rootkit revealer if you are concerned about this.

alvin bakare asked what is the meaning of what you sent to me,a sexual picture?
Peter Bongo said What is this you are doing? Have you forgotten that i am Peter Bongo.
Ovo said I AM FROM NIGERIA
ATTARCH HERE IS MY PICPURE
HOW CAN I GET THE MONEY?
Agi Hammerthief
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

about how they got the info:
just recently I had my cheque card cancelled by my bank with a friendly letter:

"one of the ATM's you have used recently has been tampered with. We will be providing you with your new card in a few days"

thaks to mum for helping me out with cash for a week.

hug the trolls - maybe it will help them to stop being a worthless piece of trash

CellphoneCellphoneCellphoneCellphoneCellphone CellphoneCellphoneCellphone Cayman Islands United Kingdom x3 Nigeria
Gnasher
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As Sherlock Holmes says - always look for the most logical explanation. Therefore, I would say that this event and a 17yr old's recent 'research' activities are not coincidental. Are you absolutely sure he didn't give out any bank/card information in order to gain access to the 'good stuff'?

"Please pray harder for God to guide and protect us during our travelling because flight airplane i observe is a very big risky" Abdul Karibu
"WE DOESN'T LIKE HOW DISOBIDIENT YOU ARE!" Coco Law Chambers
"BE INFORMED THAT YOU WILL INCUR DUMMERAGE AFTER 9 DAYS FROM TODAY" Burkina Faso Air Secure Air Service.\
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

*Nods at Gnasher...* ^^^^

419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Harrya, that sucks. I had my credit card used overnight recently to the tune of almost $Aus5000 and was notified by the bank early the following morning. They were really great and reversed all fraudulent purchases and even the two extra that only showed up a week later.
Hope that everything works out for you, and good luck witht he flying lessons.

HELLO SIR, I AM SORY FOR THE DELAY OF THE REPLY OF YOUR MAIL, I WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT IT�S BECAUSE OF THE CRISTMAS, AND WHEN IT IS CRISTMASS MOST OF THE REFUGEE IN THE CAMP RUN AWAY AND NEVER COME BACK SO WHEN IT IS CRISTMASS THEY DON�T ALOW US TO GO OUT.- Lofty Kamara
harrya
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

There is no way anyone could have my banking detials as they are not recorded. The only answer I can come up with is that a key logger was loaded. I cant find anything now but that may be the nature of the beast.
The bank contacted me before any money before trading commenced so I doubt I will have any trouble getting the money back.
I hope.
It's been the weekend so hope to get details tomorrow.

Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Someone in another country (I forget which at the moment) tried hacking our check card account a few months ago with a $1500 charge. Luckily, our check card company doesn't allow charges above $300/day and refused the transaction immediately.

They shut down our card and it took two weeks to get another but the inconvenience was well worth it.

Often when we go on spending sprees (even below our $300 limit), the card company will phone us to confirm the transactions. It's annoying to have the limit but it's worth it in the long run.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

moved here. because I can. Cool

**"Freedom? There ain't no fuckin' Freedom!"**
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic