SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

fresh lad email accounts? forum etiquette question

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
bighouse
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I happened upon a lad setting up a new account on our mail servers just now (I work for an email provider), they sent a test email that was snagged in our filters, but sent only to themselves as a test. Of course, I manually pushed it through, so they're satisfied our filters aren't catching them.

Unfortunately, I supplied the wrong switch to a script and cancelled their account, (normally would have put them on a HOLD all email list) don't know what I was thinking but I did preserve their scam email (a certain dying woman who has loads of cash to give me for the Lord's work) and their 3rd party email address.

Shall I paste the 3rd party email address here? I'm pretty sure it's a virgin account, no google hits on it at least. In fact, while I was typing this, I hit upon three more, all to the "test only" stage.

What's the etiqutte on stuff like this? I catch these guys almost daily, probably 98% of their efforts are filtered, but they rarely realize it's filtered because they simply can't login again after their initial push.

Should I just obfuscate their email addresses and post them here?

Obviously I plan on cancelling their accounts too, but maybe I'll just wait until after their mass emails are caught by the filters...

bighouse
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You can put them in this forum.

http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=18

edit: sorry. you only have the addresses not the scam letters themselves.

Last edited by Slightlyoutofit on Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
jojobean
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Please don't cancel their accounts, unless they are paid accounts. Cancelling free accounts does no good and might ruin a potentially good bait.

Omar Safari Edo-Abeche T.W.A.T
Adamu Safari Lagos-Abeche
Emi Safari- S Africa-Egypt-Sudan 10k miles
Chris Safari Jolly Roger Dakar-Niger-BF-Cameroon-Lagos-Mali-Nairobi 9.6k miles

Kevin Pith Helmet 10 Safari Accra- BF x2, Togo x2, Kumasi x3, Bolgatanga, Benin City, Tamale x2 Suitcase 5k miles Tattoo x 6
Kenny Safari Safari Safari 3k miles- dont f*ck me up about the payment plz. i have a policy about that. I JUST GOT A SMALL GOAT TODAY AND ITS IN MY HOUSE NOW. i lobve the goat.
Goat
Ben Safari Safari Safari 2.5k miles

Misc Pith Helmet 20 Pith Helmet 5 Pith Helmet 5 Safari Safari Germany-Holland, Atlanta, Beijing-ChangZhou, London-Glasgow, TIMBUKTU x 2
bighouse
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

jojobean: good point Wink

cancelling accounts does lots of good, it keeps our IP addresses out of the blacklists...

But: I'm only catching and cancelling the account they use to send out the thousands of initial emails, not the third party (hotmail, yahoo etc) account they expect replies sent to, or if they're using us as that third party account.

They already expect this main-blast account to get cancelled as soon as the complaints come into the abuse address, the lads don't realize though that their email is never making it out in the vast majority of cases.

Slightlyoutofit: thanks, in the cases where I have them, I will post their scam emails to that forum.

I'm learning and soon will try my first real bait.

-bighouse
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

chris_walken wrote:
Please don't cancel their accounts, unless they are paid accounts. Cancelling free accounts does no good and might ruin a potentially good bait.

But if not canceled at this step of the game, and if it exposes even one innocent person to a scam, and they may fall for it.... This IS an ethical dilemma worthy of an open debate. (Unless I am missing something)

*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

chris_walken wrote:
Please don't cancel their accounts ... might ruin a potentially good bait.

That's true for existing accounts that are up and running, but I think if email service providers were to deny accounts to lads based on the content of the crap they send out (scam scripts), that would be GREAT! It sure would make it all much more difficult for them to reach victims and would hinder their scamming attempts.

And that's what we're really here for.
persephone
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi there pastor Frank. Walken is right about this one. It is not about saving people, helping the cause by getting these accounts deleted. The fact is that deleting their accounts does not inconvenience the scammers at all. They keep all their data on their memory sticks, open a new account (or start using one they already preserved just in case) and know how to contact their magas. We, on the other hand, have no other way of contacting THEM. If you have a good bait running, and the account is deleted, I need to wait for my pet to contact me, or go through the trouble of calling him and getting his new addy over the phone.

So, please, kill phone lad addies, but not the others. It inconveniences the baiters, not the scammers.

Closed lad accounts loads
pony pony Mortar x46 United States 3x Canada Malaysia 2x Netherlands 2x Nigeria 2x Ghana 3x Ivory Coast 9x United Kingdom 3x Spain Bahamas, The Germany Australia Algerian Flag Togo 2x Cellphone Pretty Rose Safari 4 days of travel - 7 days stuck in airport
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ persephone et al.

I think I misread the original post... I thought bighouse was wondering if it was ok to allow a mass email just to post the lads addy here so we could play with him while 1000's of innocents were spammed with the script.

From what I understand now (after reading it several times) is that the mass spam is stopped but the REPLY TO addy's are posted for us to play with.. Do I have it right? If that is the case.. that looks like a great plan.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Laughing Quite frankly, I am confused now...... maybe BigHouse could clarify one more time (small words please, small brain here). I was a bit worried on what your boss would say, BH. This would not get you into trouble at work, would it?

Closed lad accounts loads
pony pony Mortar x46 United States 3x Canada Malaysia 2x Netherlands 2x Nigeria 2x Ghana 3x Ivory Coast 9x United Kingdom 3x Spain Bahamas, The Germany Australia Algerian Flag Togo 2x Cellphone Pretty Rose Safari 4 days of travel - 7 days stuck in airport
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Small words... and pictures for me too please. Laughing

Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Pastor Frank wrote:
@ persephone et al.

I think I misread the original post... I thought bighouse was wondering if it was ok to allow a mass email just to post the lads addy here so we could play with him while 1000's of innocents were spammed with the script.

From what I understand now (after reading it several times) is that the mass spam is stopped but the REPLY TO addy's are posted for us to play with.. Do I have it right? If that is the case.. that looks like a great plan.

This is what I'm getting too.

Basically, Bighouse, being on the inside track, shuts down the email addresses that these guys use to send out tons of initial scam letters. That way, no innocent person gets a scam letter from them.

THEN, he posts up the reply-to email address, which is a different address, for baiters to reply to. In this way, no innocent people get the scam letters, but baiters get free reign on the scammer's email accounts, since we're the only ones who know about their email addresses.

Get it? I think this is a FANTASTIC plan, an absolute baiter's dream. Basically, the only emails these scammers are going to get will be from baiters, so think of how much more likely they will be to stick with a baiter when the baiters are the only ones responding to them!

This could make for some of the best baits in history, if I'm reading this right.

Bighouse, I think that plan is a go, and if so, I want an address!
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Balogna et al.

If that is the case I think it is brilliant! Lets let bighouse confirm this as fact. If he (or she) does, it looks like the lads will only get baiters as their new friends.

If this is true we will have a nice edge against the lads.

419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That would be a trophy hunters dream - lad send out hundreds of scams and every reply comes from one baiter - Priceless.

@bighouse could you give us an idea how many scam emails originate from one scammer? I'm just curious it is it 10's 100's 1000's per day/week etc?

Cheers!

Tutorial - Backup your Gmail
capt_kipper
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm wondering if Bighouse has access to the passwords for the addys that send out the spam because I'm guessing that many 419ers use the same password for all their accounts. Rolling Eyes

Jojo being fruity: let me give u a little of my self to u.

Nastya: You have not suffered after a meeting with a
bear???
Gnasher
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I interpreted it like Balogna and Pastor Frank too. Seems like a plan Wink

"Please pray harder for God to guide and protect us during our travelling because flight airplane i observe is a very big risky" Abdul Karibu
"WE DOESN'T LIKE HOW DISOBIDIENT YOU ARE!" Coco Law Chambers
"BE INFORMED THAT YOU WILL INCUR DUMMERAGE AFTER 9 DAYS FROM TODAY" Burkina Faso Air Secure Air Service.\
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Kimchi wrote:
I'm wondering if Bighouse has access to the passwords for the addys

I doubt that he does- if he did he wouldn't post it here and we wouldn't let him- that's illegal.

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic