SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Camera lens - buying another one

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm after a zoom lens for my Canon EOS350D. After much reading review etc I've settled on an Image Stabilizing lens, the Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM. Don't start changing my mind, Ive read pages of debate in the camera forums over the last few days.

According to a dealer I spoke to they make them quite slowly, and from what I read had a setback when they recalled all of the early stock for a modification. For this reason, they are like hen's teeth at the moment.

The dealer is notifying me when he gets one. he sells at �369, I can find them at the full price, more like �450, but that's way past my budget. So is �369 really, but I'm only going to buy it once.

I found a source on Ebay in Hong Kong, selling for �295 plus �30 carriage. The bugbear is Customs duty - it may or may not be pulled out and charged by customs. In the past I bought some motorcycle parts from the US, they were labeled as a gift, and not opened or charged. These guys make no such offer, I believe the Chinese Government can be, er, rather strict.

Anyone know how much we are looking at on �295? Would they put VAT on too?

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey

Last edited by Roycropper on Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
chc74
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

HMRC states:

If you purchase goods through the Internet you should be aware that Customs duty and VAT will be payable, as follows:

* Customs duty - if the amount of duty is �7 and over and
* Import VAT - if the value of the goods is �18 and over.

Camera Lenses are charged at 6.7% Customs Duty
Plus VAT @ 17.5%

So your �295 lens would end up costing you

19.77 in duty
51.63 in Vat
30.00 in Shipping

�396.40

Some traders will offer to send as a "gift" or "low value" item. Please be aware that this is fraudulent and could expose the seller and/or the recipient to criminal proceedings.

Our records show that you are dead to
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ew! Thanks for the straight answer. Looks like I'm going to wait for the Uk dealer to get one in stock, he has my email and mobile number.

I would imagine anyone caught fraudulently exporting in HK runs a risk of being locked up forever.

You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
Seven of Nine
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

HK is a little different to mainland CN. They do have more autonomy and there are many 3Bay sellers who have set up shop there. There is also the issue of local warranty too; this why I'd suggest beating the local retailers (baiting???) down wherever possible.

Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Cool, thanks for the advice, glad I didnt pay more to buy from HK and risk the warranty. Its a very complex bit of kit, it has giros built in to compensate for camera shake, handy when you have a handheld zoom lens. That sounds like more to go wrong, though.

I found one for �379, but free postage, after a bit of intensive Googling. It will be here tomorrow or Monday. Hayley must never know how much it cost (ie more than the camera Shocked).....

Still relatively cheap, I was shocked to find out those white 'drainpipe' lenses I see at football matches and racetracks can cost �3-6,000! :yikes:

You go die like bird
Pith Helmet 10

Last edited by Roycropper on Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dionysius
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

When I started getting into photography a bit more seriously, I very quickly realised that my price range would mean using a practika and second hand equipment. I did a bit of searching and found that the cameras that really made me drool were �10,000+. I found work and saved up, and decided to upgrade. I still found myself buying second hand equipment and the stuff that makes me drool now is still way out of my price range. Anything 'fancy' like time exposure shots at night is still done with my old practikas.

That's why I'm still looking for that one deal that is real.

RIP - Lad vampire and muguito were the gifts that kept on leeching. Greatly missed.

Information about Scams and their effects with great trophies - http://www.scam-info-links.info/ from Scam Patroller - http://www.romancescambaiter.com/ from wayne
Charlie Muggins
Master Baiter

Location: A place where happiness reigns, and music plays ever so loudly.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The guys at the Observatory who use cameras for astro imageing
all swear by the Cannon 350's,some of their 'deep sky object' shots are mind blowing Very Happy

How long do I have to stand in this corner?

Dont Trifle with me, Custard!.....
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

/\/\ I think they use even more expensive lenses, wouldnt like to pay the carriage on one of those from Hong Kong. Very Happy

You go die like bird
Pith Helmet 10
Charlie Muggins
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^

It's only the camera body thats goe's on to the telescope so no need for any lenses, I will post a link tomorrow to our images site it's well worth a visit.

Gussie Fink-Nottle
Wannabe Baiter

Location: In the members lounge at the Drones, drinking orange juice!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Roycropper & chc74.

Just a slight amendment to those Customs charges, Duty is payable on the C.I.F. (Cost, Insurance & Freight) value, i.e. the price at UK Quayside, therefore Duty is calculated as follows

Cost �295.00

Freight � 30.00

Total �325.00

Duty @ 6.7% � 21.77

V.A.T. is payable on the delivered price i.e. the price delivered to your door. Sneaky little trick by HMR&C, this price includes the Duty, so you pay V.A.T. on Duty, as follows

Value for V.A.T. = �295.00
+ � 30.00
+ � 21.77

= �346.77

V.A.T. @ 17.5% � 60.68

Total �407.45

Total Duty & V.A.T. �82.45

F.Y.I. - If you are caught trying to import without paying, you will have to pay the charges i.e. �82.45 & will be fined the same amount again for being a naughty boy. If you still want the goods, you will have to pay the �82.45 a third time to get them or HMR&C will keep the goods. This is of course if you accept a summary charge, if you go to Court it may well be higher & you could get chucked in chokey!! Hence the reason that you will find the following charming phrase on HMR&C documentation "Warning, heavy penalties exist for false declaration".

Click here to support 419Eater.com
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Which explains why HMRC can take such good close up pictures when they publish surveillance photos.....

Glad I bought a lens from the UK now. BTW, my new camera has turned out to be a Canadian grey import, which explained why the selling firm is covering the warranty, and the warranty card was missing. So far, I've left no feedback, though I am happy with the camera for the price I paid.

You go die like bird
Pith Helmet 10
music man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

And just to add insult to injury the company that delivers the goods will usually add about �13 for themselves!! ( to cover their "costs" Rolling Eyes )

Glad you got what you wanted

Switzerland x2 Netherlands x2 Filipino flag United States x104 United Kingdom x213 Portugal x4 Spain x20 Belgium x4 Canada Hong Kong Italy x2 x1 France x2 Russia x2 Luxembourg Australia x2 Sweden x2 Czech Republic x2 Mortar x13

You will rot in jail.watch your back- any shadow could be mine ! YOU ARE VERY EASY TO TRACK IN YOU NEIGHBOURHOOD ! DRUNKARD AND A SCUMBAG LIKE YOU!
mike lawrence (cheque scammer)

Go fuck your dead parents asshole!!!How can a deaf fool make clean money..The money that you have will never be spent on anything reasonable.
So fuck off..dont reply me again until the cops get your stinking ass...
Lyord Melson- cheque scammer
$4.002million and £214K in fake cheques taken out of circulation. (updated May 2009)
Gussie Fink-Nottle
Wannabe Baiter

Location: In the members lounge at the Drones, drinking orange juice!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^

If I'm doing the Customs Entry, that's �45.00!!

Click here to support 419Eater.com
Charlie Muggins
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/Default.asp?bhcp=1

Link as promised,just click on the gallery tab when you get to the site.

Brad Bateman
Phone lad undertaker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM

Got one Laughing
A very very nice lens! Got some great shots using it with my 30D

"see hen if una wan gba person look mail ok i dey use this mail dey kill person... you won die now?" - Smith Peter
Cellphone Cellphone Cellphone Cellphone Cellphone xBulk! (Mass burials available on request)
Knock down a Phone Lad's door today - see www.phonelads.com - and add to the 15600 already busted!
Jolly Roger
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

A quick bit of 'proof of the pudding' Reduced in quality to spare me from mod hissy fits Wink , the originals are over 1.5 Mb each.

The first is a crop, remember this is hand held, pointing up, so the IS system is working overtime. You can hear the little giros spinning away.

One of the twins, on the wall outside.

Steam trains, on the East Lancs Railway, yesterday.

You go die like bird
Pith Helmet 10
Charlie Muggins
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Nice work Roy mate. Very Happy

Thats one great shot of the moon for hand held!!

Mike
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nice shots, Roy.

music man wrote:
And just to add insult to injury the company that delivers the goods will usually add about �13 for themselves!! ( to cover their "costs" Rolling Eyes )

I've bought a couple of lenses from the USA; one got through the system without any charges ( Mr. Green ); for the other I was slapped with full Irish VAT at 21%, plus customs charges, plus UPS demurrage fees..... Smile

Seven of Nine
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ditto, nice shots rc. If you were considering purchasing any filters, I'd suggest a circular polariser. It will help reduce reflections from non-metallic surfaces. Could be handy when photographing landscapes, seascapes or other bodies of water and painted objects like cars, motorcycles, trains etc.

btw, the exposure for the moon is relatively easy to determine: use the "moony 11 rule". Shutter speed approximately equals 1/(iso setting) at f 11.

Anyway, here's to many happy years of digital photography Smile

Hugh Jundys
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Roy, those are gorgeous! Handheld on that moon shot? Very nice!

pony <---- hee hee
Gnasher
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Roy - I wish you'd been here a couple of weeks ago to see the most spectacular comet (McNaughts) you are ever likely to see. We were up on the Victoria/NSW border on a houseboat on the Murray River and just after sunset this magnificent comet took up the entire western horizon including a perfect 'tail' that stretched waaaaaaay up into the sky. This was just with the naked eye - I can't imagine what it would have looked like with a decent camera/zoom lense. You could wait for the next time but unfortunately it won't be back for another 100,000 years. Truly awe inspiring.

"Please pray harder for God to guide and protect us during our travelling because flight airplane i observe is a very big risky" Abdul Karibu
"WE DOESN'T LIKE HOW DISOBIDIENT YOU ARE!" Coco Law Chambers
"BE INFORMED THAT YOU WILL INCUR DUMMERAGE AFTER 9 DAYS FROM TODAY" Burkina Faso Air Secure Air Service.\
harrya
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Nice pics,
Down under we have dispensed with steam as a transport mode. Might be worth having a chat to your powers that be and getting and electric system Smile

Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The scary thing, the last time a steam engine was in Portland, OR, they were selling rides to Bend being pulled by it. The cheapest seat aboard was $600.

I thought that was sad, considering that behind the beautiful steam engine was a diesel engine, doing most of the work.

But I still got a few nice shots Smile

pony <---- hee hee
DizzySteinway
Annoying Stuck-Up Cow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Judging from your info and photos Roy, I dare not ask where you live, for I am sure I live in the exact same place, considering your train picture Shocked .

pony pony pony pony pony
- Feeling any better? -yes thank you, how kind! Mortar x5
harrya
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

$600 for a train trip.
We have really nice steam museum in the Hunter Valley a family pass including steam train rides (it's only about 40klm return but it's still fun) was not much more than a lunch at McDonalds. Not that I would eat there.
Great thing was last time we went my son asked so many questions from the driver we got to do the trip in the engine. Very Happy

oops look like it's a steamtrain thread.
loverly pics too .

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic