SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Literature on 419

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Poll :: What is your favourite book/article on 419

Greetings in Jesus Name (Shiver)
63%
 63%  [ 7 ]
419 Scam Exploits of the Nigerian Con Man (Tive)
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
419 The Story of Advance Fee Fraud (Stevens)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Game Over (Wizard)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Nigerian Nightmare (Wright)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Scamorama (Edelson)
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Nigeria-Related Financial Crime (Peel)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

4X1X9
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Does anyone read widely on the subject of 419 scams? If so what have you read and would you recommend it?

I have read most of the books on the poll and enjoyed them all with the possible exception the one by Stevens only because the first 70 or so pages are just examples of what a 419 letter looks like which holds no interest to me because as a baiter I've seen thousands. I suppose to the casual reader that may hold more interest but it didn't do much for me.

I think Tive's Exploits of the Nigerian Con Man was my favourite work because with Tive being Nigerian it give some insight into local 419 scams taking place in Nigeria (yes folks it isn't payback for slavery 419 con men scam their own people, in fact they need to do so at first to get the resources they need to be able to scam westerns such as fax machines, phone lines etc which don't come cheap).
Ivor Grimey Colon
"Trophy slut"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I read 419eater.com, and highly recommend it. I daresay the collective knowledge and works relating to 419 here is vaster than in any other single place, article or publication. And it's all free Smile

"If your bait does not cause an ethics thread, you are not baiting hard enough." - YeaWhatever

Pimp My Number | A Donation a Day keeps Nurse Nasty at bay
Don
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^ What Ivor said. I've been following 419eater.com and a few other sites for close to 3 years now. I just don't think buying any one of those books would be more entertaining or broaden my knowledge on the topic. If I knew people who spoke English I'd probably buy one as a present or something.

**"Freedom? There ain't no fuckin' Freedom!"**
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Don wrote:
... If I knew people who spoke English ...

If you want to find people who can write English, don't bother looking around here. Laughing
Radden
** SUSPENDED **

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've been reading 419eater for almost 2 years now, so those books would not hold much interest in me. The only book i'm ever planning on buying (dealing with 419) is Shiver's book, once it makes it to the USA.

However, i'm not much of a reader to be honest.. If a book is really good (The Shining, or The Exorcist *1970's version*), I'll read a chapter or two daily. Even reading *most* of shiver's bait's.. the book would be a great resource to myself, and my family (I think my dad might buy it too).
Righteous
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

419 books make good bathroom readers. Smile

I don't like western union online transfer because it so hard for someone that does not know more about internet. -, on 1TV5.
First my name is not "Doodoo Head" what an insult!! I think we have reach to the level that we should seize communication. -
Captain Pike
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm reluctant to make a selection as that the only book on 419 that I have is the Scamorama book, and I'm not yet finished with it.

I've read numeious posts here; I've learned a great deal from this site, as well as from Scamorama.

"On the 21st of April 2001, my client? His wife and their three children were involved in a plane crash of Union Transport Africans Flight Boeing 727 in Cotonou, Benin Republic on the December 26,2003" Barrister Olorunshogo Williams, 25 October 2004.

"I am in reciept of your mail,i want you to know that you are really getting on my nerves." Burt Hardley, Wellkang International, 20 November 2007

"Please worry, we have already advice the FBI and they don't need to call you. They are very brianliant and intelident. They will get you soon. " Mr. Paul Rogers, Global Medical Equipment, 20 November 2007

As of 26 February 2009, $2,231,983.53 of fake checks and money orders have been intercepted and removed from circulation.
meyer
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think that even if you have been reading eater for years Laughing this here is still worth having a look at : http://www.haverford.edu/pols/faculty/glickman/Articles/
=> http://www.haverford.edu/pols/faculty/glickman/Articles/CJAS_Text_final_1-35.pdf

Also have a look at http://www.chathamhouse.org.uk/pdf/research/africa/Nigeria1106.pdf

and http://www.aic.gov.au/conferences/2004/reich.pdf

But it is true, there is not much good literature about 419, in particular not much good scientific research.

"I AM VERY MUCH AWARE OF YOUR CONCERNS BUT I HAVE TO LET YOU KNOW THAT IO MA NOT A CRIMINAL AND WONT ACCEPT TO BE TREARTED AS ONE SINCE JUST BECAUSE I HAVE ASKED FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE." " Mrs. Kokou Williams.

"Thanks but no thanks as your days are numbered." Paul George

Fake banks killed: 334
Tricia
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^ Uh oh... that drug connection bit was new to me. I'm glad that I heeded those "bait safe" warnings when I started this hobby.

4X1X9
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Not much interest in wide reading around here then Laughing

Yes there is a lot of repetition in such books of things you can pull off the net. The only one I found to cover things that you couldn't find on the net was Tive's 419 Scam: Exploits of the Nigerian Con Man as he includes information on local 419 scams although in that book there is some info you can get off the net too.

I think it is a good idea to read more than one source though just to check your own values and ideas against those who may see things a different way but maybe that is just the wishy-washy social science graduate in me Laughing
Stargate
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't read for "fun" anymore. Sad

Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have both the one from Shiver and that one from Scamorama. Though it was hell getting via the nets... (aside from the sick amount of money I had to pay, but well worth it!).

I showed them to my pops, but seemed he enjoyed more Scamorama...

Also, I remember there was a book about the exploits of a 419 scammer, but I can't seem to remember the name...

For the Fatherland!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic