SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

How to trace where your letters are coming from

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
MuguBasher
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

When you give your email address to a website, you hope that they don't sell or trade your address to a bunch of spammers. Well if they do, here is a simple way to see what sites are responsible for what particular piece of email. This requires you have a Gmail account.

If your Gmail login name was [email protected] and you went to samplesite.com to fill out a registration form, instead of just entering [email protected] as your email, enter it as [email protected] instead. When Gmail sees a "+" in an email address, it uses all the characters to the left of the plus sign to know who to send it to. In this example it would still send it to [email protected].

Now whats cool is if you search Gmail for username+samplesitecom, you will see all massages that were sent to that email address.

To see who is responsible for sending a specific message click the Show Details link and you will see the complete address.

Neat! Very Happy

You are just an idiot. Who cares about the money? Of course there will be added charges. You can go fuck your mother for all I care. We will hand your shipment over to the police if you do not make payments in a the next seven days. Liar!
"so hope you will be ready with the advanced payment , before i send the rest."

And how dare you fool your self and think you are fooling the diplomatic service???
Urangatan
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Good Tip.

I just tried this by sending an email to <Myname>[email protected] It works.
I always wondered how I could see who was spamming me without using separate email accounts.

Thanks

Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Actually when you specify the addresses like that it gets treated as a distribution list at Gmail so if you specify an address such as:

[email protected]

when the sender tries to send to that address it will be delivered to

[email protected]
and
[email protected]

so depending on what you put as the second part, you could end up signing up someone else to receive your Emails, which could be a real problem if there's anything confidential in there (like online shopping).

BTW you can specify more than two recipeints, e.g.
[email protected]
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Apparently two people are claiming the "+" sign does two different things.

Will one of you provide proof of what you say is true.

I personally doubt gmail would set up the "+" sign as a distribution list as it would be too easy to unknowingly spam gmail accounts but I have been wrong before. And I have seen reports of different uses of the "+" sign.

Added:
I searched around and found a page that describes using the "+" as an extension to the name before the "+" sign. It apparently is an old feature of the original email specification and continued by google.
I did not find any references to the second poster's claim of it being used as a list.

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
Gilbert-Ratchet
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Try it, send an Email to two of your Gmail addys
(that's what I did to test it).

[EDIT] Actually I might be talking b0ll0cks (& not for the first time !) It could be that the rules I've got in Evolution made it look like the test mail I sent got delivered twice. I'd be interested to see if anyone else has tried this and what result they got.
OrangeMan
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just tested it, it only got delivered to the mailbox specified by the first word. So, it seems like the op was correct.
nalei
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I just tried this, and got the email only to the first address. The second account, the one I wrote after the + sign didn't recieve anything.

"I have told you that this is risk free" - David Sharp that offered me the Litvinenko funds, with explanation why it will not risk my life to go on with it.
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've been baiting for ages with two characters using the same gmail account:
[email protected]
[email protected]
It works fine; it's not a distribution list.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic