SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

My computer died :(

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Hugh Jundys
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ Just take everything out first, as many things inside can be quite caustic. I suggest replacing it with wood.

Oh, and save the hard drive. Take it to a friends' home who knows computers and see if they can get it to read with their computer as a second drive. At least that way you will know for sure that (hopefully) you still have all your information.

pony <---- hee hee
Azure Sonnet
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Not that you can read this right now, but...

I've got a partially dead laptop that does exactly the same as yours, SP, and its DEFINITELY the video card on it. So thats my vote! If your new one is still a pain in the rear let me know, I have a friend who repairs computers for a living and who is a real soft touch for fluttering eyelashes when asking for help!

...you have kept me under expectation by giving a slap of love and i can't hold myself... you have fastinated my love... You are sweat. i want to parade my love with you - Karmin Buhahi, my first *sigh*
wayne
Account closed at users request

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It all depends on the BIOS. On an AMI BIOS, 1 long followed by 3 short beeps signals a memory fault. 1 long followed by 2 short beeps would signify a video error. That's the most common type nowadays.

Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Since there seems to be a wealth of information on this thread I have a question, and I am sorry if I should have posted this elsewhere. I have a 3 year old computer (spare) that started shutting down for no reason. The power supply was putting out a bad smell, like burning wires, so I replaced it. Then it only booted once or twice, acted terribly, then the whole thing died. Now when I turn it on nothing at all happens, no lights....nothing. I have checked the hard drive in another computer, and it seems fine. My question is this. Does it sound like the motherboard crapped out? If so, is it worth installing another one, or just trashing the whole thing? It is an Emachine T2542 with an Intel celeron 2.5 ghz processor. I know that it isn't a "high end" machine, but it was one of my favorites when it worked. I need to add that I am not the most tech savvy person in the world either.
Radden
** SUSPENDED **

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

editing some of my post!

Quote:
that started shutting down for no reason

from my experience that's usually due to over heating (aka fans were not doing their job).. however, there is so many things you should check.

Quote:
Does it sound like the motherboard crapped out?

Yes.. It probably got so hot inside the case that it over heated the motherboard and boom! the burning you smelled was from the motherboard (almost guaranteed).

Quote:
If so, is it worth installing another one,

If you know how! motherboards are easy to install as long as you read the intructions, however, you'll need to find one that fits the sockets for the processor chip. Combo motherboard/processor is what i usually go with.

This is only a online diagnostic so it could be something else.

Last edited by Radden on Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Motherboard is dead.

Whether it is worth replacing is up to you. Is the case a standard ATX type and have enough room to upgrade? Cases are about $80, you have a power supply, a new motherboard about $120, memory about $80 per gig if you can't use the existing memory. Motherboard replacement is not hard but you will have to reinstall the OS unless you want to try to upgrade the OS to the new motherboard. It isn't hard but is sort of hit or miss.

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

SP fixed his machine with Superglue, wipes and a hoovering.

It's impossible to say what is wrong with your machine but I would venture to guess that a transient high voltage may have been sent down stream by the shorting power supply. Thats as good a load of crap as any. I'll leave out the part about the flux capacitors.

I've been slaving the old hard drives into the new machines and going from there. Its up to you and your financial situation. Remember, if you can throw money at it and it goes away, its not a problem, just an expense.

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
Harry Bawls
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ Thank you. One last thing.......the computer came with "recovery disc's" not a OS disc. Can I load the OS(WinXP) with these discs?
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I believe so. Some 'recovery' disks are keyed to your system. I don't know what happens if you change the motherboard. I got a 'recovery' disk with a dell and moved the OS to a different computer and everything worked fine.

Thank the M$ overlord for the recovery disk idea. Keeps honest people from owning their system as what would seem to be the right thing to do. All hell emperor bill.

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
Aunt Dahlia
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I know I am new here, so if anyone answers , well, it would be nice. I am on my partners comp. lately. cos my comp has been f'd for a few months.
There is some strange Error msg, which we cannot figure out. And it will not allow internet access.
I am probably asking too much here. If anyone can bother, then I will start up my bad comp and see the stupid msg again.
It is just such a hassle, so at the mo, I am on when he is watching sport on tv, and then I get drunk and go to bed.

So, it would be nice if I could get my comp back up, but I guess it is up to me to find out what or why my comp will not get its act together.

Thanks for letting me interrupt , sorry for being a pain. Just a little advice would be nice.

Love, Aunt Dahlia
Mackilt
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Aunty

What's the error message

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dr. Who is correct again. But in this case if all HB did was change his motherboard and left in his old hard disk it should boot off the old drive and everything would be fine. In the worst case he would be prompted to insert a disk or key in a number from the back of his tower. If the number cannot be fed in, there are still legitimate workarounds.

@Aunt Dahlia- CCleaner (accept no substitutes; do not download anything close) can be had for free at Download.com. Not only does it sweep all traces of where you have been but it also fixes registry issues.

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ New motherboards (unless a genuine replacement part) need new drivers. I'd be happier if they weren't "recovery" CDs he's got, but there's a good chance it will work. If it doesn't, then download Linux and try it out - it's a spare machine anyway.

A 2.5GHz is not too old to be worth repairing. My old 500MHz Athlon would have been - everything in that machine was obsolete. The only things that I transplanted to the new box were a DVD drive and the floppy drive.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
Harry Bawls
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@Connie,Thud,Dr. Who, and Radden,
Thanks for you input. I think I will try the new motherboard. It is a "spare", but it would cost more to replace it I think than trying to fix it. Besides that, I always wanted to build a comp, and this would be a cheap attempt at it. Thanks again for all the help here. Unless I electrocute myself doing this, I will let you know how it came out with the "recovery" disks. Laughing
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic