SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Another Linux distro discussion

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
BarneyG
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I am using SLED 10 (with slicky XGL/Compiz 3d UI Laughing - Vista eat your heart out!). I find it much easier than any other distro I tried: Mandrake/Mandriva, Fedora C1 & 3, Ubuntu 5 & 6, RedHat 7-9, SuSE 9.1-9.3 (SUSE10 is running currently on my server).

YAST is the easiest tool when it comes installing new programs/updates. Hands down.

I suggest you take a look at "apt-get". Runs on every distro. Once you get used to it you won't know how you could live without it Wink Laughing

Mrs. Damirez (Lottery scam): That sums up your person as been fraudulent. Our legal team have been instructed to bring criminal charges against you in the EU court.
Mrs. Damirez: We are just sick and tired with this cat and mouse game you have forced us into.
Mary Ray: the Investigation Authority will be after you and you know what that means.
Ogomegbunam:is there at any time or point in the future a need or requisition for blood ritual?
Safari x3
419weasel
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't run it that often. I guess I'm becoming a Linuxphobe.. Laughing No, really.. I'm probably going to wait until I build a new system to start running Linux of any distro.. Mandriva One doesn't seem to like my sound card much.

Click for lad pain. - New to the forum? Introduce yourself HERE!
Easter Egg 2012 pony Turns that frown upside down- TS
Mc Fry
<-- Official 419Eater buns awarded by Luther Blissett, bun-enabler extraordinaire.
Pith Helmet Remy D1ckson - 1,000 miles from Abidjan, Cote D'Ivoire to Lagos, Nigeria and back!

Lad Quotes
http://members.419eater.com/~419weasel/ladquotes.html
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ubuntu is definitely worth trying. It was the only distro I found that could handle my SATA interface. Kubuntu is probably the one to choose, since it uses KDE and the root Ubuntu uses Gnome. I have come to like Gnome, but its printer handling is pants.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
Ivor Grimey Colon
"Trophy slut"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd chalk up another recommendation for Kubuntu. My laptop has some issues with it, but it really is a fantastic distro.
I have heard good things about SUSE, but I'm not going to recommend it for moral reasons.

"If your bait does not cause an ethics thread, you are not baiting hard enough." - YeaWhatever

Pimp My Number | A Donation a Day keeps Nurse Nasty at bay
swissboney3
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have several distros, one of them being Freespire Linux. When you install it, the layout and stuff looks good, but it doesn't like the following:

• EXE Files
  • Second Hard Drive
  • CD's (unless it has anything to do with Freespire Linux Confused )
  • USB Flash Drive
  • And Much More

As you can see, it's not very good at all. Gets a personal thumbs down from me.

Ivor Grimey Colon
"Trophy slut"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

swissboney3 wrote:

• EXE Files
Windows won't execute Linux binaries, and similarly Linux won't execute Windows binaries (.exe files). However, WINE may be able to run some Windows .exe files under Linux
swissboney3 wrote:
As you can see, it's not very good at all. Gets a personal thumbs down from me.
I honestly haven't heard any particularly fantastic things about Freespire. Just seems like an attempt by Linspire to follow Redhat and Novell by making a "community oriented" version of the distribution, but by having a free version, it loses the only real benefits it has (native Windows Media support etc), and those benefits are only really relevant if you're taking the first step from Windows to Linux and just want it to be the same.

"If your bait does not cause an ethics thread, you are not baiting hard enough." - YeaWhatever

BarneyG
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ivor Grimey Colon wrote:
I have heard good things about SUSE, but I'm not going to recommend it for moral reasons.

I know what you mean... It was a tough choice but SLED is just too good. HW support is amazing. Recognized all my HW out-of-the-box. Even non standard Medion flat screen, Canon printer, sound card, wireless keyboard and mouse!

Even Windows could not do that! Laughing Well done, Novell.

Installtion of XGL/compiz was so easy! Just two (2) clicks!

If you do have moral issues with Novell just use OpenSUSE 10.2 - remember to add Packman installation source for mp3, DVD, AVI etc.

Mrs. Damirez (Lottery scam): That sums up your person as been fraudulent. Our legal team have been instructed to bring criminal charges against you in the EU court.
Mrs. Damirez: We are just sick and tired with this cat and mouse game you have forced us into.
Mary Ray: the Investigation Authority will be after you and you know what that means.
Ogomegbunam:is there at any time or point in the future a need or requisition for blood ritual?
Safari x3
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Split these off of a necroed thread where these were off topic anyway. Smile

The fact that Novell signed a "no-sue" agreement with M$ where one is not needed and is against everything about the opensource and the GPL and what they stand for; I would not get anything from Novel.

Mandriva rules. Not even a contest. Rolling Eyes

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"

Last edited by DrWho on Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:41 am; edited 3 times in total
remu
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Kubuntu for me. It recognized everything perfectly on my tricky HP laptop (except for the IR port, which I couldn't get Windows to load a driver for either, so heh. I guess it's probably broken). SUSE I tried to like, but I found YAST was just too slow for my liking... apt with Synaptic/Adept is much faster.

Amarok is the best music player ever, by the way Very Happy

Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm running Kubuntu 90% of the time. With automatix you can have a system that does everything you want in a couple of hours. I occasionally load windoze to play a couple of games that I like.

get your baiting forms here
mark2
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm playing with puppy linux, think knoppix but smaller/faster. Very Happy
music man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ultimate Ubuntu http://ubuntusoftware.info/ultimate/ does it for me! excellent hardware detection, runs a cisco wifi card natively etc.

Ubuntu also has an excellent forum with a lot of active members who have helped me a number of times ( still can't get my Canon ip1000 printer to work though Crying or Very sad )

Might have a look at SLED though

Switzerland x2 Netherlands x2 Filipino flag United States x104 United Kingdom x213 Portugal x4 Spain x20 Belgium x4 Canada Hong Kong Italy x2 x1 France x2 Russia x2 Luxembourg Australia x2 Sweden x2 Czech Republic x2 Mortar x13

You will rot in jail.watch your back- any shadow could be mine ! YOU ARE VERY EASY TO TRACK IN YOU NEIGHBOURHOOD ! DRUNKARD AND A SCUMBAG LIKE YOU!
mike lawrence (cheque scammer)

Go fuck your dead parents asshole!!!How can a deaf fool make clean money..The money that you have will never be spent on anything reasonable.
So fuck off..dont reply me again until the cops get your stinking ass...
Lyord Melson- cheque scammer
$4.002million and £214K in fake cheques taken out of circulation. (updated May 2009)
Dareth Ioggmao
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Using Solaris here, one on a sparc and the other on an x86. I've also got an old laptop running damn small linux. I'll have to look at some of these other distros. Thanks for the ideas. Smile

thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

DrWho: Got to disagree with you on both points:
I paid my Mandriva Club subscription soley to download 2007, only to find that it didn't work with my SATA interface. If it had I'd still be on Mandriva, as it is I still have a bad taste in my mouth.

I know what you mean about Novell, but at least they are on the right side in the SCO Group vs. IBM debacle.

I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14

DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Novel: yes that is true but their recent actions make me wonder what they are really after. And they are only on their own side to keep control of UNIX away from SCO and to get their money. Business make strange bedfellows.

I don't know about SATA support by Mandriva. I would think it was supported but maybe 3rd party. That surprises me since SATA is now the standard.

I found a couple of discussions on how to install on a SATA drive. Mostly supported by the board manufacturer and not Mandriva.

"To Serve Man"
Gussie Fink-Nottle
Wannabe Baiter

Location: In the members lounge at the Drones, drinking orange juice!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have SuSE 10.0 running Gnome & I have a problem. Like an idiot I selected online update when installing, it took so long I eventually aborted the update & continued with the installation. Now everything works fine, except that I can't get an internet connection. Any advice please?

Cheers muchly

Gussie

Click here to support 419Eater.com
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What part doesn't work?

It wouldn't connect at all; or just the update part? Does Gnome have a wizard setup for the network connection (like KDE).

Any error messages? Have you looked at the "messages log" (/var/logs/messages) for any error messages.

Need details of exactly what happens or doesn't happen or what you expect to be happening that isn't.

"To Serve Man"
remu
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Having so many problems with the package manager in SuSE is what drove me to Kubuntu. I wanted to like it, but I couldn't. The package manager in Ubuntu/Kubuntu is much much better.

Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Having so many problems with the package manager in SuSE is what drove me back to Windows.

*puts on flame retardant suit*

Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

MotherFelix wrote:
Having so many problems with the package manager in SuSE is what drove me back to Windows.

*puts on flame retardant suit*

Hehe, try out Ubuntu if you ever want to give it a go again. Only 1 CD to download, and the package manager works great Very Happy

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
drove me back to Windows.
Good luck with those viruses and spyware and the $400 OS. And the weekly patches. And the cost of the anti-virus programs and the Windoz anti-pirate locks and the certifications every time you upgrade a component. Worth every penny I'm sure. Smile

"To Serve Man"
Ivor Grimey Colon
"Trophy slut"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

MotherFelix wrote:
Having so many problems with the package manager on SuSE is what drove me back to Kubuntu.

Dionysius
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

After becoming a linux convert sometime ago, my machine died an ugly death - the fan fail and I discovered the delights of a knackered hard drive. So I used the other family windows machine, but now I bought a new machine I'm saving up for a separate hard drive and then it's back to linux for me.

RIP - Lad vampire and muguito were the gifts that kept on leeching. Greatly missed.

Information about Scams and their effects with great trophies - http://www.scam-info-links.info/ from Scam Patroller - http://www.romancescambaiter.com/ from wayne
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@DrWho
I've been with Mandriva for years, on my old machine. When the time came to upgrade I bit the bullet and built a completely new machine. I suppose it was my own lack of research that made me get a new motherboard with an unsupported brand new SATA i/f. I may have got around it, if I'd tried really hard and installed first to an old IDE disk and found a SATA driver, but it would have been a lot of work - which would have had to be re-done if I ever needed a clean install. I could have handled not having the latest video or sound driver on the installation disk, but not having a disk driver is pretty much a show-stopper. Fortunately Ubuntu worked straight off, even beating Knoppix.

Mandriva Club is expensive, and a necessity if you want the latest releases - when I was putting the machine together 2007 was only out to club members and my membership had just expired. But you don't get much else for your money, and even with the FTP server they allowed 2007 downloads from, downloading 2007 was painful. I've never managed to get a decent speed with bit torrent - even with the firewall opened up.

Ubuntu pluses: apt-get, single install CD
Mandriva pluses: rpm handles dual-architecture, 3D window management

Both have good mailing-list support. IMHO the Mandriva lists have the edge in friendliness, but Ubuntu have much more traffic.

Cellphone x14

MotherFelix
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

DrWho wrote:
Quote:
drove me back to Windows.
Good luck with those viruses and spyware and the $400 OS. And the weekly patches. And the cost of the anti-virus programs and the Windoz anti-pirate locks and the certifications every time you upgrade a component. Worth every penny I'm sure. Smile

Inflation must be quiet the problem in strawberryland Dr. Wink

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic