SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

How well are we doing?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Gussie Fink-Nottle
Wannabe Baiter

Location: In the members lounge at the Drones, drinking orange juice!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm not sure if I asked the right search questions, so forgive me if this topic has been run before, but since it is our reason for being!

Do we have any idea how succesful we are. What percentage of the lads time do we think is actually being occupied by baiters? Just how good a job are we doing? Or is this a question that shouldn't be asked in open forum?

Interestedly

Gussie

Click here to support 419Eater.com
SlayerFaith
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hard to say, really. Reliable statistics require hard data, and that is nearly impossible when we have no way to know how many active lads there are, let alone how many active baiters there are. Add to that the fact that no two baiters do what we do exactly alike, in the same time-wasting ways, or with the same number of lads or characters; and its a bit like trying to quantify ectoplasm . Laughing

That said, I think its best to go with the reverse starfish theory. We might not be able to bait them all, but we can do our best to make a hell of an impact on the scammers that are unfortunate enough to become a baiter's pet. Twisted Evil

Mugu Reseller Ukraine x2 United Kingdom x24 United States x7 Spain x5 Nigeria x5 Russia x96 South Africa x2 Ivory Coast x2 Netherlands x2 Ghana x2 Australia x2 cameroon x2 Japan x3 Germany Malaysia Canada Benin x3 Malawi France United Arab Emirates United Nations x2 x2 (in a team effort)

ANIMAL,MY FRIEND MY PRAYER IS THIS,LET ALL MY ENEMIES BE IN TROUBLE LIKE CHRIST INGIGE,AND LAZY PEOPLE LIKE YOU BE LIKE WABARA.THANK YOU- Kelechukwu Nduka
"Did he say they have an inflatable pig? That's sick!"- Crash, Vegas 06
"You can be a right Bitch sometimes SF"- Cherrie, GenChat 07

Naked Mod pics!
star
JMRazor
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah, I'd say that statistics on this type of thing are rather nonexistent. But think of it this way, combine the baiters from this and other sites, together with phone-lad killers, then add in the law enforcement types and organizations like scampatrol that seek to more actively disrupt scammers through infiltrating their organizations and warning victims, that's a pretty healthy chunk of scammer time being tied up one way or another.

Can you quantify it? Not really. But if you, yourself, can tie up just a couple mugus a month, by making them spend precious internet time doing your bidding (not to mention the costs of buying posterboard, developing pictures, or even traveling to far-away lands, well, you've probably just saved a couple of victims from receiving that attention. In my eyes, that is time well spent!

____________________________ pony Pretty Prancing Pink Pony Master pony _____________________________

Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo
Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x 43
Mortar x 16
Sand Timer x 3
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't think that baiting is making a huge dent in the scammers' activities.

However, we are what is called a "gadfly" (clicky), i.e. we make things uncomfortable for them.
Captain Pike
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It would be nice to think that we would get to the point to where the scammers would give up and live honest lives, but the reality is that as long as there's a human race and an internet, the lads will go on scamming. We can make them stumble, but they will pick themselves up and continue on.

That being said, I believe that we are doing positive things for the world at large, and we're having fun doing it. The laughable IDs, the phone calls to K7 with codephrases and passwords, the trophy photos, and stupid things they write are a return on our investment of time that we enjoy.

I think also we're educating the community. Education is a good thing, especially where 419 is concerned.

"On the 21st of April 2001, my client? His wife and their three children were involved in a plane crash of Union Transport Africans Flight Boeing 727 in Cotonou, Benin Republic on the December 26,2003" Barrister Olorunshogo Williams, 25 October 2004.

"I am in reciept of your mail,i want you to know that you are really getting on my nerves." Burt Hardley, Wellkang International, 20 November 2007

"Please worry, we have already advice the FBI and they don't need to call you. They are very brianliant and intelident. They will get you soon. " Mr. Paul Rogers, Global Medical Equipment, 20 November 2007

As of 26 February 2009, $2,231,983.53 of fake checks and money orders have been intercepted and removed from circulation.
Mike
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

kleindoofy wrote:
I don't think that baiting is making a huge dent in the scammers' activities. However, we are what is called a "gadfly"

I agree; even a drop in the ocean is better than nothing, especially if you believe in homeopathy Smile

Btw Gussie, how are the newts coming along? Very Happy

DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

We are the random element. Studies have shown that you can teach an animal faster if you discipline randomly rather than every time the correct behavior is exhibited. Lads never know if the next potential victim is a baiter.

Also, part of our goal is to bring the whole email scam system out in the open where people can learn about it in a fun atmosphere.

If not us, who? If not now, when?

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
Franc28
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Barry Kelly wrote:
It would be nice to think that we would get to the point to where the scammers would give up and live honest lives, but the reality is that as long as there's a human race and an internet, the lads will go on scamming.

In the long term, that seems unduly pessimistic. There is a reason why scammers come from certain areas and not others.

Fighting the forces of censorship and getting his sig deleted by admins since 1989.
GomerPyle
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

We DO possess some advantages over the scammers. We work together and they work in competition with each other. I know this as my addy was passed on to another scammer, and as I took the original scammer on a wild trip, he didn't do this as a favour to his pal.

Pith Helmet - Frank - Lagos to Cotonou - co-bait with the vampire
Pith Helmet - Shorty - Lagos to Cotonou - My Agro Base farming where i rearing chicken and other animals was set ablazed overnight and we do not know who is actual behinde all these evils! -
I and my crew was locked up for 3 good days….They wanted to charge us to court but later we are fined an huge amount of money…I asked them why did they arrest the men, they started laughing and saying all sorts mockering words! -
…because now, am left with nothing and remember i told you my Guy (Joe) gave up earlier this morning
nalei
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

With my current SA scam, Nigerians had stole the SA lads email account and pretended to be the SA lads. So currently I have two baits on same subject (the SA lads wrote from a new email). But somebody got my address from the Nigerian lads and I forwarded them his scam mail, and they told me that this is true and I should take it. That was dissapointing. (I hoped they will tell me not to reply him and then will go find him and hit him or something).
Began Steele
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

From a post I did a while back
Quote:
A short mail takes it about 12 minutes for 12 lines or so. a longer one about 25-35 minutes. It is 7 weeks now and has sent 56 to Lord M, and a half dozen to the other, mails that on average take 20 minutes to do. This means that in the time it has been spending perhaps about 7 hours a week reading/sending me messages/trying to open real or dead links,dud photos etc/ and dll files.
If I ignore it for a week then I get mails of frustration. Maximum gain with no pain. It is almost 9 weeks now with a jump in mail numbers of course/ and time wasted on me.
It doesn't take me long to write it a load of rubbish and add a large "jpg" or two.

And having once turned round, walks on,
And turns no more his head;
because he knows a frightful fiend
Doth close behind him tread."

"Thank you for making a fool of my situation God will bless you for all you have done to me for the past three months." [ With a certain amount of luck he will.]

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence
on those who would do us harm."-George Orwell.
Lose 10 kgs of belly fat an hour with our weight loss programme
capt_kipper
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

More importantly, you do it for fun. So time spent is time enjoyed.
Herb Sewell
419Eater is my life

Location: Atascadero State Hospital for the Criminally Insane

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Dr.Who: Does this mean that we are making them better?
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This discussion is being continued elsewhere.

http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=98869

Please go there.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic