SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

opinions on AVG virus firewall scanner, etc..?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
BlueTiger
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've used the AVG virus scanner, etc. personal free edition for some time which is being discontinued next month. I have been very happy with it; in fact, considering purchasing the new edition. (AVG killed over 3000 worms on a family member's computer they weren't even aware they had). I have other questions and such, but for anyone who is familiar with the tools available out there, how well would others here say AVG rate as compared to Norton, Mcafee, and many others available? I have PC-Illin(I think that's the name) and others.. never hurts to double or triple up on protection though IMO

Thanks for any input!
Chester
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

BlueTiger wrote:
which is being discontinued next month.

Is it? Shocked

I've used this excellent freebie for years...looks like I might have to find another freebie Smile

I now considir you to be brian dead...I never calll you agen monkey! - Dr. Frank Williams
The devil will shot you in hell with fire bullit, u will nevr have mi sister again. - Patrick Mubuto
i know you ar a idiot Coz can have sex. - Jane Pate
GoldDalek
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

AFAIK the free version is continuing. It's only if you have version 7.1 are you not going to get updates. If you download the latest full installation of 7.5 you will still be able to receive free updates.

pony <---- because sometimes a rose just isn't enough- TS
Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts

Get a shiny name here - Internet Fraud Centre
Spudz
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i just bought McAfee last night, i was using the AVG, the first Mc scan brought up 44 objects, brilliant visual tracker feature on it, i`ve the names of a few cyber cafes now!, with a world map view of the path of your mail, all for �25 Sterling,, special offer at the moment, not sure if it is the best out there.

Javed Main:I received your e-mail message but cannot read very well due to the injection I took last night/Please for Gods sake i would'nt like you to address my bank as feck/You are a priest and you are bold enough to tell me that you took 3 bottles of the finest whiskey/Please i am not ready to take more of your insult.

NIGERIA HE GOAT
IF YOU EVER SEND THIS TYPE OF THINGS TO MY EMAIL;; I WILL SHOW MY SELF TO YOU BASTAD NIGERIA HE GOAT....F*CK OFF AND DIE OF UNGER

YOU ARE SUCH A NONENTITY, I NEVER KNEW PEOPLE LIKE YOU STILL IN EXISTENCE. WHAT AN INGLORIOUS BASTARD ARE YOU?

Closed lad accounts x 10-2x33/8 you do the hokey cokey and you turn around and that's what it's all about
ol-fishinbait
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Erm, no: AVG 7.1 is being discontinued. 7.5 is still free and available.

Cellphone Cellphone Cellphone
Chester
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That's a relief, it's 7.5 I have.

Now I can put my effort into finding free cars and houses...

I now considir you to be brian dead...I never calll you agen monkey! - Dr. Frank Williams
The devil will shot you in hell with fire bullit, u will nevr have mi sister again. - Patrick Mubuto
i know you ar a idiot Coz can have sex. - Jane Pate
Mackilt
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

AVG 7.5 is available through http://free.grisoft.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

On the question posed by the OP. AVG does its job. Norton has always had the rep of being a memory hog. Thats not as important now as it was but it does consume more system resources than most. I've banned giving McAffe any money after the result of their class action suit. PC-cillin gave me fits during the rollout of W98 and what it did to my Outlook. They denied being the problem until over a year later.

So for free, AVG works for me. I don't want to seem cheap, but any cost is multiplied by 4 in our home.

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

There was a nasty rumour that AVG were not going to support their free version any more.
Luckily they were only talking about the old 7.3 version. 7.5 is as good as it gets for free. I wouldn't use Norton if they paid me.

If it's LADS you want. GoTo: http://www.yopmail.com/
and sign in with either ladmail or kentbrockman
Radden
** SUSPENDED **

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I was going to post in this thread, but I wont

GoldDalek answered exactly what I was going to say, my mom was freaking out because she thought her avg was going to expire.. and I was like "OMFG UPGRADE!"..

AKA - I had to go to her house and update it myself =\.

did I just post in this thread? sorry Razz.
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have AVG 7.5 version, it stopped a worm yesterday.

A question about firewalls, I had ZoneAlarm, but it no longer supports Windows ME, so I uninstalled it and got a 30 day free trial of this firewall:

http://www.omniquad.com

Seems pretty basic but works ok, I did a stealth scan on the shields up website and it shows all ports closed apart from one, shields up couldnt enter it, it's open but closed sort of thing, anyone know a good free firewall that works on Windows ME that will give full stealth? Most of the ones I have Googled don't support ME, so any ideas?

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I switched to AVAST. I works good, self updates, is free after registration and doesn't seem to slow things down. Since I never do anything to put my computer in a compromising situation, I haven't seen what happens when it catches something but I like it.

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
Dan Druff
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^^
Just downloaded Avast tonight and it picked up a whole pile of gunk that AVG (which I was previously using) missed. Viruses, Trojans, Adware - bloody frightening. Evil or Very Mad

Mackilt
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Its probably "Swings and Roundabouts" Avast will find things AVG misses and AVG will find things Avast doesn't notice, they are both good, and when you are paying nothing for them probably the best out of the bunch.

Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have used AVG for years and been very happy with it. I have a spyware killer and a firewall. All freebies. My work put on trend anti virus so that seems to be sorted for me.
&.5 avg is alive and very well and kill allsorts.
Norton which has been taken on by semantic (sp naughty) are reputed in the industry to have released and manufactures several viruses to keep their name to the front and sales up. I couldn't possibly comment on that it may just be conspiracy.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic