SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Gift Card Scams

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Righteous
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Saw this on the news this morning. Scammers go to stores that have gift cards hanging on racks where customers can reach them. They lift the card off the sticky backing just enough to memorize or write down the number, then they call the hotline to see if it's been activated at a register. If it has they go online and use it to order stuff, having it sent to a vacant house or a PO Box which they open and later close. When the recipients get the cards on Christmas morning they have no idea it's already been spent until they try using it and find out there's a zero balance.

I don't like western union online transfer because it so hard for someone that does not know more about internet. -, on 1TV5.
First my name is not "Doodoo Head" what an insult!! I think we have reach to the level that we should seize communication. -
oopsme
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This was a problem that got alot of press in years past, New security measures have made this scam rarer. Gift cards now have a scratch off material that must be removed to see the serial #, just like a lottery scratch off. But im sure someone will find a way around this.

Are you looking up my dress again?
Azure Sonnet
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

More info here, if anyone wants it (updated Nov 2006):
http://www.snopes.com/fraud/sales/giftcard.asp
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic