SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Question About Love/Dating Scams

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
manichewan
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

hi all,

just a general question about love/dating scams...

is there a typical length of time before the scammer starts asking for money? i've been emailing a lad for about a month now, and so far no requests for money. other than he's getting happy about my planned side trip to visit him, it's pretty boring. the pictures i've sent him are keeping him fairly pleased as well i'm guessing Very Happy

however i don't want to start making outrageous requests, but i want things to move along before an "accident" happens. i'm trying to paly this fairly straight.

any suggestions or comments are welcome.
wayne
Account closed at users request

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quick answer, how long is a ball of string? Basically anything up to a year or so, though some can be as quick as the day you start to chat to them.

Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yup. Any time from 2 minutes to 2 years.

Are you sure this is a scammer?

Where did you find him?
manichewan
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

he actually found me. he says he found my contact information when searching the web. i was able to find my alias but not the actual address.

i'm wondering if he's connected somehow to another bait i was working on?

2 years or there abouts? yeesh... then i will have to stretch things out a bit longer.

thanks!
manichewan
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i just went and checked the headers of this scam and from the previous scam, and this is the IP addresses i got from them:

love/date scam: 62.128.164.251
typical scam: 62.128.163.110

they both resolve to kenya... i'm thinking they're coming from the same place, if not from the same person.

thoughts? i'm playing the same person, but the job is different. i never sent a pic to the previous scam, so i may be safe there.
wayne

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Give us some more info on the scammer. The IP address shows up as a satellite provider, so where the person claims to be isn't necessarily where they really are. For example, I have one right now that claims to be in Australia, but the satellite provider that the IP address shows doesn't cover Australia at all. Not even close. Take a look here at where the provider in your headers covers.

http://www.omnistar.com/coveragemaps.html#afsat

Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

you are correct, i realize the IP addresses i listed are only for the service providers and not the scammers.

overall, i'm only worried that they're either the same person, or know of each to the point that i may be found out sooner than i would prefer, because the address was never used on any websites for registration or guestbooks.

thanks for the information though, i really appreciate it! i will adjust my responses to the scammer.
wayne

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

62.128.160.0 - 62.128.175.255 belong to the same ISP, so both IP addreses you show were sent by people using the same ISP.

Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There's another recent thread about that question.

Stepan Fetchit wrote:
Any time from 2 minutes to 2 years.

2 years? Seriously?

"I took your Photo to a deadly Witch Doctor [...] you will die in 2days days time so you should eat your best meals and make love to your wife for the last time. You dared an African, You will rot in hell." -
"My love you the traitor!!!! You have broken to me heart!!!! I have killed with you 4 months of a life vainly!!!!" -
"Ich das kulturelle Mädchen" -
manichewan
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

that's all the information i need... i was starting to feel that the person was not a scammer. just a touch. no worries now.

thanks wayne!
Vanndickey
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

jlh wrote:
2 years? Seriously?

http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=92475

^Stepan had made a year out of Oksana

"EAT A DICK AND DIE SLOW"-Mrs. Mary Collins Brown

Mortar x5
wayne

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Baiters tend to rush the whole thing to come to a conclusion quicker, but 2 years doesn't seem an overly exaggerated amount of time for some romance scammers to work over.

Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

i am currently in the middle of my first romance scammer...

i got her off script within 3 emails as she constantly ignored my 1 or 2 line replies and questions and turned them into a proposal that she come and stay with me!

claims that she is independently coming to the UK on the 16th Nov, and that everything is booked and paid for already. clearly there will be some catch, but i am not sure how and when it will happen.

"My name is Maria. I am 26 years old. I live in Russia,
city Cheboksary."

which is about 300km from Moscow. But her IP address has her in a city on the pacific coast of russia near to Japan!!!

Anyone any ideas what to expect with this one? or anyone also baiting her? PM me if you think so, i dont want to put her email on her just incase she ever googles her address and this pops up.

Oh, i have also got her to agree to send me any photo that i wish to prove to me that she is the real girl in the pic. is it normal that the person writing to you is also the person in the photos? I have asked her to hold up a paper with my made up characters name on it, and i have a feeling that she is going to do it...
ThatGrrl
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Alicante... yes, sometimes they do pose for the pics themselves, othertimes they will get family members/friends to do it - that is, when they're not stealing them off modelling websites...

Don't worry about her not asking for money yet, disaster will strike soon and she'll need your help...you just need a few tricks up your sleeve Twisted Evil getting her to hold up a sign is a good place to start! Smile

- I am a Manager with American Express Bank here in Buckingham Palace,United Kingdom - hey, Amex get everywhere, dontcha know?? Very Happy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic