SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

I was honestly selling a car online, when...

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
starcrest88
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I had recently listed a car for sale on a well-known portals auto sale site. It seemed like a good deal: $35.00 and the ad can run up to nine weeks.

So I listed the car on there, and expected legitimate offers.

If you are interested in buying a car, what do you do? You research, go look at the car, drive the car, etc. Right? WRONG! I got a scammer right off the bat. So I decided to play dumb and go along with it, to entertain myself and keep the scammer busy. Later, I found out that there is a name for what I was doing to the scammer: Scambaiting! How about that!

Following are the emails I received regarding the car, and my responses. 'Their' emails will be in black text with the important parts highlighted in blue, because the emails tend to contain alot of rambling crap. My emailed replies will be in green, and my running commentary will be in red.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11/09/05
I am Dennis Martins,a procurement agent based in Europe. We have a client interested in buying your automobile.
What is best price.........? Regards Dennis Martins.

Phone: 7178691539
Email: [email protected]
Best time to contact: Anytime
Best contact method: Email

Vehicle info:
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Year: 2003
Price: $0
Mileage: 20000
VIN:

From the very beginning, I could tell it was a scam. A guy in Europe wants to buy my Ford, which is in the USA. Right!
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Please review ad and make an offer...Thanks for your interest!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings
Thanks for your response.I am a procurement agent
based in England and my client whom i am representing
is also in England. My client informed me that he is
buying the car to present as a gift to the cousin
who
recently married in Canada . This means that the car
will be shipped to Canada.
THE PRICE IS FIRM AT $9,200 USD..CONFIRM
Attach at least three recent pics( include the
interior) of the vehicle so that i will foward it to
my client for evaluation,The pics will make my
discussion with the buyer easier and faster.
Hope all the documents are complete...?
Any accident history......?
Are you the first owner of the vehicle.....?
Why do you want to sell the vehicle....?
My client is responsible for my commission,shipping
and any handling bills.
Looking foward to hearing from you soon so that we can
proceed with the transaction.
Regards
Dennis Martins.
67st.marys mansions
maida Avenue
Little Venice
w2 isy England
44-7040111242

I'm upset...my cousin never gave me a car for my wedding gift. As a matter of fact, no one gave me a car for my wedding gift!

The pics listed on the site were taken less than a week ago - they are current.
Never an accident. Price $9200 USD firm - fair enough - what would be the payment method?

Greetings.....
Thanks for your mail and update.
I am very happy to tell you that we have concluded
with our client after the evaluation of the pics and
he has instructed me to carry on with the transaction
. He said that I should inform you that the payment
will get to you in a cashier check of ($14,200
USD)which is a refund payment of a cancelled order
earlier made by my client.

He informed me that he intends usg the refund payment
to pay for your vehicle .
Due to company policy, this check has to be made out
in this amount($14,200 usd ) to you, because company
policy only allows a refund payment on one cashier
check, so you are required to deduct cost of your
VEHICLE [($9,200usd] when the payment gets to you and
refund balance [ $5,000 usd] to my customer's Agent
VIA MONEYGRAM INTERNATIONAL MONEY TRANSFER
, for the
agent to be able to offset shipping /pickup charges
,contracting of the Pick up Agent,taxes,commission
charges and any other handling bills.
After payment has reached you and balance sent back to
his agent - the agent will contact the PICKUP
AGENT-who will come for the pick up of the vehicle to
be shipped to my client.While title papers and any
other documents involve will be sent by you to my
client via FedEx courier service.THE PICKUP AGENT WILL
TAKE CARE OF THE FEDEX EXPENSES.
My client is making some necessary arrangemenmt with
some of the agent and will provide me with the
pickup/test driver agent as soon as he decides whom to
use as an Agent for the pickup of the Vehicle.
NOTE: MY CLIENT ADVISED THAT YOU ARE EXPECTED TO
DEDUCT THE TRANSFER CHARGES FROM THE REMAINING BALANCE
[ $5,000 usd] YOU ARE TO SEND DOWN TO THE AGENT VIA
MONEY GRAM INTERNATIONAL WIRE TRANSFER.

Please Confirm this whole arrangement and provide the
details below for check payment to be delivered to you
PAYMENT INFORMATION:
1.LEGAL NAME IN FULL.........
2.ADDRESS..........................
3.PHONE NUMBER(S).................
Regards
MR DENNIS MARTINS.
67 St Marys Mansions
Maida Avenue
Little Venice
W2 1SY England
(44)704011124

Well, geez ya dumbass, your gonna send me a check for $5000 more than the price of the car? Of course you can trust me to be honest, right?! Already, he mentions that the refund I will send back will be via moneygram, which is virtually untraceable!
11/10/05
I would first like to establish some kind of schedule...as in:

When will the cashiers check be mailed?
When will buyers agent inspect/pick up the car?
Address to send refund check?

Thanks!

He already told me that I would refund the $5000 via moneygram, but I ask him where to send refund check! DUH!

Thanks for your mail and reply. The cashiers check will be mailed on saturday according to my client. The car will be inspected/pick up after you must have collected your funds. My client will very soon provide you with address of where the refund will be sent. Pls. provide payment info. asap today: LEGAL NAME IN FULL................... POSTAL ADDRESS................. PHONE(s).......................... Regards Dennis Martins.

He likes my version better. Notice he says "where refund will be sent"...
So for the next couple of weeks he keeps sending me these types of emails, with subject lines that read "KEEP ME POSTED", or "PAYMENT UPDATE"

Hello.

Thanks for your time, effort and anticipated cooperation.

After discussing with my client today, he informed me that due to the last terrorist attack in London,
all incoming and outgoing mails are being cross check before their final destination.

He informed me that this cross checking do take time before the custom confirmed the package free of delivery.

After his discussion with the custom officials, he was informed that the payment will be sent to the final
destination through the use of Royalmail.co.uk on Tuesday being the 22nd day of November, 2005.

My client now informed me that based on his own calculation that you will be receiving the payment
in your mail via United States Postal Services by Thursday or Friday being the 25th day of November, 2005.

Please hold the vehicle for my client and keep me posted.

I will keep you updated with the arrangement

Thanks for your understanding

So these keep coming from him. Meanwhile, I have other 'procurement agents' based in 'Europe' and 'Canada' asking about the 'car' and what my 'best price' is. Can you tell I like 'quotation marks'? Finally, I change the ad listing to include the following:

MUST SELL! $9500 or best offer.PLEASE!!!! NO 'PROCUREMENT AGENTS' OR ANY OTHER SCAMS WITH 'REFUND CHECKS'!!!

Do you think this stopped these idiots from trying to hook me? Of course not! They kept coming! Here is just one of them, with my response:

I am Henry Lother,a procurement based in Europe.We have a client interested in buying your automobile.
What is your best price...? Regards Henry Lother.

Phone: 7178691539
Email: [email protected]
Best time to contact: Anytime
Best contact method: Email

$20,000.00 USD Cash...no certified checks

Thanks for looking!

I didn't hear back from Henry...

Finally, I get this email from 'Dennis' on Thursday, 12/01/05:

Greetings
Thanks for your time, effort and anticipated cooperation. My client informed me that based on his enquiry
from the customer service center of the courier service used (royalmail.co.uk), he was informed that the
payment will be delivering to the address you provided on or before this weekend

HERE IS THE PREVIEW OF THE BILL OF SALE.THE AGENT WILL COME WITH THE ORIGINAL SIGNED COPY OF THIS
BILL OF SALE ON THE DAY OF PICK UP.LIKE I SAID EARLIER KEEP ME POSTED WHEN YOU RECEIVE THE PAYMENT PACKAGE..

Yea! Finally my real check is coming! He included a bill of sale 'contract' that I didn't include here because it was stupid and long.
Monday, 12/05/05

Greetings

Thanks for your time, effort and cooperation.

My client just contacted me now and informed me that the payment is supposed to have been
delivered to the address you provided on Saturday
being the 3rd day of December, 2005. The payment
was sent via royalmail.co.uk and is expected to be delivered in your mail via United States Postal Service (USPS)

He advised that you are expected to proceed immediately in order to meet up with the time scheduled for the shipment
of the vehicle to avoid delay which may lead to demurrage.

My client informed me that after discussing with the pickup agent, the agent advised that she would like to receive
part of her funds ($4,000 usd) today
being Monday the 5th day of December, 2005 so that she can arrange for the paper
works, offset the bill of the test driver agent, take care of the international/local taxes and purchase a temporary
registration permit tag (this is very important in the vehicle pickup) .Please be informed that the agent is on
transit and will like to finish up the pickup arrangement as early as possible , so that she can move on with her
other contracts with some other customers.

Secondly, the agent advised that she would like to come over to your location tomorrow after the receipt of the Money
for the vehicle test driving and also discuss with you on the pickup of the vehicle.

TEST DRIVING DATE; THE VEHICLE TEST DRIVING HAS BEEN SCHEDULED TODAY BEING MONDAY THE 5TH DAY OF DECEMBER, 2005.

My client advised that you send to the agent today being Monday the 5th day of December, 2005 via Western union
money transfer the sum of $4,000
usd out of her own funds to enable her prepare the paper works, purchase a
temporary registration permit tag and offset the bill of the test driver agent who will be coming with the pickup
agent today for the test drive. The pickup agent will be informed to collect the balance of her funds on the day
of the pickup of the vehicle.

The agent is expected to contact you when she receive the funds ($4,000 US) so that both of you can discuss on the
best time to come for the test driving of the vehicle.

NOTE; THAT AFTER THE VEHICLE TEST DRIVING; YOU ARE EXPECTED TO DISCUSS WITH THE AGENT ON THE BEST TIME, AND WHERE
TO COME FOR THE PICKUP OF THE VEHICLE.

HERE IS THE AGENT INFORMATION FOR THE TRANSFER OF THE FUNDS ($4,000 USD) VIA WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER TODAY

Okay, where do I start? The check was to arrive Saturday? It is Monday, and I havent gotten it yet! But they need $4000 of it for miscellaneous expenses. Hmmmm. They want it western unioned today! He gave an address to 'send' the moneygram to. I look that up online. It turns out to be a beauty shop. OH, AND HOLY CRAP! THE TEST DRIVER IS COMING TODAY!? What to do?
My reply:

I can't refund your clients funds yet as I have not received the check yet. I will contact you when I receive the check.

Thanks!

Not long after this I called my wife (I was at work, she was at home) to tell her that this genius wants the refund already, and we don't have the check yet. She checks the mail. "It's here!" she says.
I have her give me the information off the check so I can verify that it is fake. The Bank address on the check was a PO Box, so I got online and searched for the bank. To my surprise, it was a real bank in Florida! Also, curiously, there was no return address on the envolope. I contacted the bank, and they verified that it was a counterfeit check. Now the funny thing is, this check was coming from Europe, via 'royalmail.co.uk', but the check is drawn on an actual bank in Florida, USA. Curious. But before I bothered calling the bank, first I emailed 'Dennis' again:

Dennis,

I just found out that the check did arrive today. It is kind of late, but I will leave work early to take the
check to the bank, and send the moneygram.

I will contact you when I have the information you need.

I will also need any info on when to contact/schedule with the test drive person.

Thanks again!

Of course, I had no intention of doing any of that...
Tuesday, 12/06/05

My client just called to know what the update of the transaction is. Pls get back to me with the full update
of the transaction so that i can update him.

Looking forward to hearing from you ASAP today.

Dennis Martins

Oh yea! I forgot to contact 'Dennis' after that...

Dennis,

Sorry for the delay. I had gone to the Cashland store near me yesterday to transfer the money, but
the people there seemed kind of 'shadey'.

So I figured it would be best if I just send a cashiers check to :

XXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

- as the money gram was going to. I believe it is safer this way. I included a note with my
contact information for her. I sent it priority mail, so she should have gotten it today or maybe tomorrow.

I will contact you when I hear from her.

Thanks again!

I wanted to send a fake check to the address he gave me, just in case, but I don't want to start a career as a counterfieter! I was rolling on the floor imagining what he was thinking as he read this! The people at Cashland seemed shadey! HAH! Dennis is thinking, "This idiot is mailing a check to the bogus address I gave him. Oh CRAP!"
Panicking, Dennis sends the following on...

Wednesday, 12/07/05

Thanks for your time and anticipated cooperation.

My client informed me that the advised that due to the nature of her job(ie she is not always in one place)
that she will like to receive her funds via western union money transfer or money gram international transfer
to enable her speed up the vehicle pickup arrangement.

My client has advised that you send the funds via western union money transfer asap today.

I will be expecting your mail with the full details of the western union money transfer today. Once I receive
the details, I will inform my client to instruct the agent to come over to your location .

PLS ADHERE TO THE INSTRUCTION TO AVOID MORE DELAYS.

Dennis Martins
44-7040111242

Sorry, I didn't think of that, I guess she would be all over...I guess I will get to the bank today and cancel
the cashiers check, and then I will go to a different western union agent to send the money.

I will contact you when I get that done.

Thanks!

So he sends me another email on Thursday, 12/08/05 that is just a copy of an earlier email stating how, when, where, etc. to transfer the moneygram. "TRANSFER TODAY."
So I reply:

Dennis,

I am very sorry for the delay. Today, my bank notified me that the stop payment on the certified check I sent to
XXXXXXXXXX was complete. So please notify Ms XXXXX that the check she will be recieving
(if she hasn't already) is now void.

Tomorrow (Friday) during my lunch break at work, I will go to the Kroger to send the western union.

Again, I am very sorry for the delay, and hope that you are not thinking I am not trust-worthy.
I will definately send the moneygram tomorrow.

Thanks!

I hope you are not thinking I am not trust-worthy. I don't think he bought that. That was too much. He knows I'm not falling for it. It's been too long. "He's got to know by now that the check bounced."
So I do some searching and come up with part of a "Money Transfer Control Number" from Western Union. I will send him an email with the transfer information he wants. Should I tell him the check WAS GOOD?

Friday, 12/09/05

I was writing the email and including the transfer info, but then I erased it all, deciding to take a different approach:

Dennis,

I'm afraid we have a problem. It snowed here very bad last night. The car was involved in a very serious accident.
My older sister was driving home from dinner late last night and a semi went through a red light and broadsided
the car, pushing it into a snow plow.

The car was totalled. Fortunately my sister is still alive. She had been drinking, and was in a 'relaxed' state.
The doctors said she would have likely died had she not been drinking. Imagine that! She was saved by drunk driving.

I am afraid I will have to refund the entire amount of the check.

Please email me and let me know if you would like the whole amount moneygramed,
or if you would like a bank check.

Thank you for your understanding, and sorry for the inconvenience.

The car is totalled. My sister saved by drunk driving. Sometimes my genius amazes me.
What amazes me more is the fact that I'm stuck in a crummy job when I could be writing 'Must-see TV"! But, I digress...
I don't have an older sister, by the way. Too much? Over the top? Will he bite? Stay tuned!

WOW...WOW...I really thought I poured it on too thick right there, and that he knew the jig was up! I WAS WRONG!!

Hello.

After discussing with my client, he instructed that you make use of the money
gram international money transfer to send the whole funds to the Pickup agent
and the test driving agent since they are the only people he knows and trust
in USA for now. My client advised that you split the funds($14,200) into
two and send $7,000 less the wire fee to the Pickup agent(Wendy) and also
send the remaining $7,000 less the wire fee to the Test driving agent
(Daniel Lambert)
They have been instructed by my client to contact him as soon
as they have receive and confirmed the money.

PLS ADHERE TO INSTRUCTION !!

WOW! He wants me to split the money between two people! I check the other address online,
but I can't find anything on it. That sucks. He goes on with instructions of how, who, and where to 'send' the money.
I say it like that because I believe that to pick up the money, you go into ANY western union agent
anywhere and tell them the name and address of the person (the scammer)being sent the money, and the
name and address of the person sending it. So the fact that he is giving me addresses in New Jersey
means nothing!
I like how he keeps saying 'PLS ADHERE TO INSTRUCTION TO AVOID MORE DELAYS' What delays?
I got yo' money, be-otch!
My next move? Hmmmm. I'll have to think of something good!
By the way...my wife is afraid that 'they' have our address. I didn't think of that!

Saturday, 12/10/05

This morning, 'Dennis' emailed me, replying to an email from me from Wednesday.
I won't include his text because it is long, and a repeat form Wednesday. But I replied:

Dennis,

You are replying to an old email. Are you thinking of someone else?

I am doing the two moneygrams correct? Or do you want just one now?

Please let me know ASAP, as I am getting restless sitting on all this money!
We have been Christmas shopping, and a plasma TV sounds real good!

Just kidding!

Thanks!

"NO!! DON'T SPEND THE MONEY!" 'Dennis' almost
immmediatly replied with the same email from yesterday:

Hello.

After discussing with my client, he instructed that you make use of the money
gram international money transfer to send the whole funds to the Pickup agent
and the test driving agent since they are the only people he knows and trust
in USA for now. My client advised that you split the funds($14,200) into
two and send $7,000 less the wire fee to the Pickup agent(Wendy) and also
send the remaining $7,000 less the wire fee to the Test driving agent
(Daniel Lambert) They have been instructed by my client to contact him as soon
as they have receive and confirmed the money.

PLS ADHERE TO INSTRUCTION !!

What to do? My wife wants me to come clean with him.
The phone is ringing. My spidey-sense tells me it's the insurance company.
Yes. The car has been replaced with a newer model. Yes! The value of the
car is $15,000. YES! 'Dennis' will have to moneygram me the $800!
Do YOU believe that?

Okay, the last couple emails (Saturday) were all before noon. I wanted to get some info out of him
so that I could convince him I was with the FBI. I came across a scambaiters forum, and joined to
pose a question for them. The main problem is that 'Dennis' and any accomplices have my name,
address, and phone number. Again, my wife was concerned, and unfortunately, she usually turns out to be right!
So I asked them what my next move should be. They unanimously suggested that I drop it immediately if the scammer
has my personal information. They were able to find out though, that 'Dennis' is NOT in Europe (I would bet it's
safe to say, nor is he a 'Procurment Agent'!) He is in fact from...Nigeria! Africa! I feel so...used! Betrayed!
'Dennis' lied to me!!
So late Saturday afternoon, I lack-lusterly closed with this:

"Lucy! You gah some 'splaineen to doooo!"

I went to the bank to withdraw the money to send your moneygrams, and I was informed that
the check was returned to my bank. The teller informed me that the check was a (gasp) counterfiet!

To tell you the truth, I was stalling because I expected as much, but didn't want to deter a
legitimate buyer. I had contacted my local Better Business Bureau who refered me to the FBI.
So, have fun.

I do not expect to hear from 'Dennis' again. Oh, 'Dennis'! I will cherish our time together!

Thanks to those of you here that helped me close (end) this deal!
Any pointers on any of this?
mrkipling
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nice bait, I enjoyed reading it! Thumbs up

The Stuka
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

nice one Smile , but safe baiting should be done as a anonimously as possible Thumbs up
NightStalker
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Baiting safely is the number one priority, dudes Very Happy

fuck your mama up the hole you came from then fuck her in her lady pipe like i would you will dieeeeeeeeeeeee mamafuker - UBEKE TODOME

Baits so far: 1 - Ubeke Todome - 1 In Progress
Co - Baits: 1 In Progress
Today Lad Vampire stats: 7 images, (7 active, 0 faltering, 0 suffering, 0 dead). 8049 loaded (7.7/s), 6 failed. 347.271 MB total (333.928 KB/s)
starcrest88
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks!

Yes...But I initialy had no plans on baiting...I just kind of ran with it!
The Stuka
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

well, now that you had a taste of it, you'l find its a great hobby Very Happy
CarlosSanchez
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I tried to sell my car a while back on autolocal.com and got tons of those losers. I needed the money for the car so it sucked constantly thinking I had a legit buyer and then it turns out to be some Nigerian dimwit! Nice work on the bait though and happy future baiting!

Carlos

What is the meaning of this you have done??I came back from stamford bridge late last night only to be confronted by the county police in regards to this western union details.Mr.1kediashi was molested and detained for few hours yesteday before letting him go on the same issue.
What happened??Did you withdraw the money back or what??
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic