SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Scammer in Craigslist

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
craigslistscammed
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So, my bosses two nieces went to rent an apartment off craigslist in NYC. They sent me the email yesterday (supposed to move in today), to pay for it, they're young kids. Noticed it was a scam.

The 'woman' at the end of the email, has so far given me a bank account in IN, and telephone numbers there, that obviously don't have anyone on the other end.
I have her bank account though, how do I report it to someone???

She gave me fake names, but a real bank account number, and would fedex the keys yada yada. I checked her IP address and it's coming from NYC.

Help!
craigslistscammed
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Here are the details.

[email protected]

Name: Diane xxx
Account number: 1620xxxx
Routine number: 0740xxxx
BANK NAME: Chase Bank
BANK Address: 14195 xxxxxxx, IN 46060

my name is Rita xxxxx and my mobile number is 614 xxxxx
my Accountant's Name is Diane xxxxx and her phone number is 641 xxxxx

Redacted probable mule info for privacy purposes - JF
Nailgunner
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

"Routine number" instead of "Routing number". I suspect the sender of this mail is not even American. The account holder is in all probability a mule. Well spotted, good luck finding another apartment this late in the day. The moderator team can handle the account Wink

Just a thought, might be good to redact the mule's information; they may not realise what they have been duped into and should be treated as a victim in this situation. A pm to a moderator will sort things Thumbs up

craigslistscammed
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That's what I thought too. Although, I did call chase, and it's a real account number with the name.

I'm just not sure how to make sure they aren't scamming more students.

I'm not sure by mule, that they are getting the money, and don't know? How would that work?
Lehigh Guy
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Excellent job noticing that scam and stopping it. You rock--and you can be glad you saved those girls from a nasty scam. Applause to you. Well done.

<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Click here to donate to 419Eater.com]</a>

"I swear with my living GOD I SERVE BY WHATEVER FIND HOLY ...THIS IS TRULY HOLY HAND JOB I WILL NOT DISAPPOINT YOU”
_______
Am surprise you are west-ting this much time and you know that your daughters life is astake ... I see it strange, something is fishing."
_______
"If You Are A Sinner That Means You Will Go To Hill. Repaint ..."
_______
"you son a beach , bastard , you will die by gun, ogun will kill you [a dozen death threats snipped] ANY PLANS YOU HAVE PLANNED EITHER TO RUB ME OR ANY OTHER THING , YOU WILL DIR BY OGUN BYE" -- One truly pissed off lad.
Nailgunner
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If the scammer is offshore, there's not much we can do. Having the mule account reported will prevent it being used in further fraud, this will cut off these scammers main source of revenue - it's a major setback Wink also and just as important it limits the damage to the mule, who will take the flak when such payments are clawed back by the bank when the fraud is uncovered.

Eta: mules- they get recruited for "payment processing" jobs which involve taking in bank or PayPal payments, taking a cut and sending the money on by cash transfer like Moneygram or western union. Really all they do is launder money by turning a reversible payment into an irreversible one; they cash out for the lad and end up with the bill and sometimes a visit from the police.

Last edited by Nailgunner on Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
craigslistscammed
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm not entirely sure if the scammer is offshore. The IP address is coming from new York.
At first I thought I was being incredibly stupid (wouldn't be a first time) and checking my own IP from the emails, but nope, it's theirs.
Nailgunner
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^ possible that they are in NY. Also possible that they have a proxy or VPN.

craigslistscammed
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

She/he emailed me back, i replied that i sent the money. Very excited, three emails telling me to scan the documents back asap. And then they'll meet me at an apartment with the keys.

Won't meet me for the originals, they have to see the scanned email first.
Are these people insane? Lol
Nailgunner
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^ Drop them if they have any real information on you or anyone you know. Slimy and cowardly they are, but criminals they are in any case. just get well clear, leave this one alone.

If you fancy scragging a rental scammer or two they are readily available in Surplus along with credit card lads, late dictators and cancer widows.

craigslistscammed
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ah, good advice. They have the office address, as it was on my initial email.
Either way, no response as of the last few.

Seriously though, how the hell do i stop them from doing it to another group of students?
Toomuchfun
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Do you have the original emails?

If so, go to our sister site and post them on Scamwarners.com in the Rental Forum.

This is one lazy lad. So far this is all I have. I am waiting on the part of the script why I can't view the Apt and why the keys need to be sent.

Quote:

Thanks for your interest in my apartment. Congratulation the apartment is available.Beds, Baths, Doorman Yes,Furnished with TV,DVD player,A/C -Heater, FREE high speed wireless internet, iron, Full kitchen with Microwave, coffee maker, toaster, flatware, dishwasher, pots/pans, Lovely bed room with bed linens provided , towels, shampoo, soap, etc and also Laundry is in the basement, so you won't have to leave the building at all.. .

The periodic Rate are:

Monthly rate:$1,300.

We offer both long and short term lease.you can extend your stay..

To book this apartment, you will have to pay an up-front payment of first month which is $1300 plus a refundable fee of security damage deposit of $200 which altogether is $1500 .The balance of the rent will be paid on your arrival date. The security damage deposit will be refunded to you on your departure date when the housekeeper have check the apartment and ensured you didn't damage the property..

But before then you have to fill an agreement and booking form which you must read carefully and follow all the instruction given on the form. do let me know when to send the booking form so we could proceed with the booking and reservation of the apartment and payment.

You will get the full set of keys of the apartment and nobody will be sharing the apartment with you.The apartment sleeps up to 4.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Thanks.

Closed lad accounts x31 x5 Cellphone Webstores x18 Cellphone x11 Easter Egg 2012 Purple Flower Mortar
Whip Jack Boot
$28,320.00 In Fake Checks

"Are you blind. I told you that i don't like this method payment,If you are serious
you have to understand me better" "You put me through all this pain" -Hitman

"YOU ARE MAD LOOK IM NOT HEAR TO PLAY GAME" Craigslist Scammer

"i ave your name do you want me to take your name to my native doctor you will just go totally insane overnight...YOUR ARE WARNED ...Don't dare"

* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
craigslistscammed
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah, i have my emails to her, and the craigslist posting. I'll stick them up in the morning.
Juan Freizwidatt
Associate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^
That's definitely the best thing to do. The goal is to make their format and email easily Googleable. Scamwarners returns very high hits on Google so anyone who decides to do even the slightest research will see the alarms.

Unfortunately Craigslist is swarming with scammers, and not everyone pays attention to the very prominent warnings that the site posts on every page. (You have to give Craigslist credit for at least trying to get people to pay attention to possible scams.)

We can't save every potential victim, but the more publicity we can spread, the better.

"HOW DOES IT SOUND TO YOU THAT ANOTHER PERSON IS DEALING WITH YOU AND ASK YOU TO CONTACT ANOTHER PERSON AND NOW YOU SAID THAT YOU WANT TO DEAL WITH THE OTHER PERSON WITHOUT THE KNOWING OF THE PERSON THAT ASK YOU TO CONTACT THE OTHER PERSON"

I apologize again that I will lick the dust from your sandals - Shorty

Sand Timer x4: Shorty
Safari x 16:
US lad w/Capone: ( Golden Pith ) Black Ribbon
- ATL>DC>ATL>Vegas>Seattle>ATL>San Diego>LA>ATL>Seattle>ATL>WY>ATL>Aspen>ATL (21K+ miles, $11K+ expenses)
Shorty w/bohigal:
- Lagos>Abidjan
Random lads:
- Douala>Korup; Lagos>Cotonou>Parakou; Cotonou>Niger border; Cotonou>Pendjari>jail in Tanguietta; Asaba>Abuja; Accra>Tamale
Purple Flower Goat Jack Boot Whip
Toomuchfun
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Originating IP: 41.190.2.218
Originating ISP: Etisalat-ng
City: Lagos
Country of Origin: Nigeria

Quote:
Received: from [41.190.2.218] by
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 08:51:08 -0700 (PDT)
Reply-To:
Subject: Re: Apt

I would love to show the apartment to you but presently someone is occupying the space and will be leaving before your move in date, I can help you to reserve the apartment for immediate move in as soon as the current occupant leaves only if you can fill the Booking and Application form and also make the deposit payment. Let me know if you're still willing to proceed, the paper work is ready.

Please advice,
Thanks.

Closed lad accounts x31 x5 Cellphone Webstores x18 Cellphone x11 Easter Egg 2012 Purple Flower Mortar
Whip Jack Boot

"Are you blind. I told you that i don't like this method payment,If you are serious

"i ave your name do you want me to take your name to my native doctor you will just go totally insane overnight...YOUR ARE WARNED ...Don't dare"

craigslistscammed
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You are a lot better than me! I guess I was looking up my own IP address (hangs head in shame lol)
Toomuchfun
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The information has been passed over to SW.

You can get yourself a gmail account with fake details and waste the scammers time.

Whip Jack Boot

Basinga
** WARNED **

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Juan Freizwidatt wrote:

Unfortunately Craigslist is swarming with scammers,

I've heard so many horror stories that I'm amazed anybody ever goes there. Not just scams either, there's those news stories of people getting lured to their murders via job ads.

I for one never have, and never will, go anywhere near that site.
craigslistscammed
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

no way, I love that site. I've bought my apartment off there, found lots of great furniture, concert tickets.
Toomuchfun
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Originating IP: 41.190.3.236
Originating ISP: Etisalat-ng
City: n/a
Country of Origin: Nigeria

To me:

Quote:
Thanks so much for getting back to me again, I have attached the Residential Lease and Agreement Form, Dully fill it and send it back to me and also regarding the Deposit payment, the required amount is the first month rent which is just $1,300 plus the refundable security damage fee of $200, Altogether is $1,500 which you'll need to pay to my accountant's Bank account after filling the attached form... Let me hear from you asap so that I will know when to send you my accountant's Bank Account information.

Please advice,
Thanks

Hello Miss Cole,

I can not open the document on this device. Is there some other way?

Whip Jack Boot

craigslistscammed
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

$1300 for a one bed in soho & not even the first months amount as a deposit. It's like they want you to know it's a scam lol
Toomuchfun
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Scammers lure victims from online rentals, gadget, loans and pets with low ball prices. If a victim pays there will be more fees for some odd reason.

Miss Cole writes:
Quote:
Can i send you series of questions and I will also need a photo ID is that okay with you?

Thanks.

Yes, i can answer questions. I do not have a license. Most people take massive transportation. I have a library card no photo on it.

Miss Cole writes:
Quote:
Below are the questions;

1)Your Full Name
2)Your Full Address & Phone Number
3)How old are you?
4)Are you married?
5)How many people will be living in the house?
6)Do you have a pet?
7)Do you have a car?
8)Occupation?
9)When do you want to move in
10)How long do you want to stay in my apartment?
11.) Reasons for moving out of your current Home?
12.) For reference purpose, who can i contact?

You can attached the library ID card and also let me know when i should forward you my accountant's information for you to make the deposit payment. Once my accountant confirms the deposit payment, i will ship the keys via UPS or FEDEX.

Thanks

Whip Jack Boot

Toomuchfun
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

1)Your Full Name xxxxxx
2)Your Full Address & Phone Number
xxxxx Hxxxx Street
xxxxxx, GA 30901
#419 8xx xxxx

3)How old are you? 21
4)Are you married? No
5)How many people will be living in the house? 2
6)Do you have a pet? Yes
7)Do you have a car? no
8)Occupation? Student
9)When do you want to move in April
10)How long do you want to stay in my apartment? Minium 1 year
11.) Reasons for moving out of your current Home? Green leafy substance growing in spare room with heated lights. Also I am a Chemical Major and was working on a meth experiment. My landlord was
12.) For reference purpose, who can i contact? My dad

Whip Jack Boot

Toomuchfun
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Below is my accountant's Bank information for you to send the required deposit of $1,300 plus a refundable security damage deposit of $200 altogether is $1,500.

Name: Diane R
Account number: 162021xxx
Routine number: 074000010
BANK NAME: Chase Bank
BANK Address: 14195 Mundy Drive Noblesville, IN 46060

Once my accountant confirms your deposit payment, I will send you the booking confirmation and I can also send you the keys of the apartment via UPS or FEDEX if you like. I will be patiently be waiting to read from you for payment confirmation at your earliest convenience.

Thanks and God Bless.

Whip Jack Boot

Basinga
** WARNED **

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

craigslistscammed wrote:
$1300 for a one bed in soho & not even the first months amount as a deposit. It's like they want you to know it's a scam lol

Remember though, there is a near infinite supply of first time apartment/flat seekers, most of which probably do not know what is normal procedure. I'm certainly aware that I had no idea when I first started renting.

Just one of the many life skills and everyday knowledge that simply isn't taught in school, like budgeting for food and bills, buying and insuring a car, getting a job...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic