SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Can I please run my software on your personal computer?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
kjnkjn
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I just got a cold-call from gbmsupport.net. They claimed they knew viruses and malware were being downloaded to my computer, and they were calling to help me out. Lucky me!

First, they needed to have me run some software from their website so they could check to see if my computer was under warrantee. We had quite a wide ranging discussion about this, and they told me their company was so unbelievably generous that they would provide support under another company's warrantee!!! Finally, I convinced them that my computer was old enough that it was out of warrantee, and so I was declining to run their software on my computer.

But they were not deterred! They still wanted to me to run their software to check for malware. I don't know why, since they already "knew" it was there (see 1st paragraph). After wide ranging discussions about software, spoken language (see below), their website, and their attempts to walk me through some of the operating system of my computer, interspersed with multiple suggestions I run their software on my computer (all of which I resisted), they placed me on hold. Forever.

Challenges:
1. I kept these idiots on the phone for 1/2 hour, wasting their time. They didn't hang up on me, even after I told them I knew it was a scam! Can anyone beat 1/2 hour?

2. They claimed to be native English speakers, but the first guy I spoke to was almost completely unintelligible, and I had to make the 2nd guy repeat almost everything he said before I could understand him. I wasn't able to convince them to tell me their native language. I noticed they mixed up pronunciation of "v" and "w", and the intonation they used seemed to hint at a tonal language. Can anyone else figure out their native language? They claimed not to be Chinese or Indian. One said he was from Spain, but backed off when I tried to talk to him in Spanish.

They have a phone number listed on their website: www.gbmsupport.net

Good Luck! Enjoy!
Kitty La Gore
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If you're curious about what these people want to do on your computer, search youtube for "Microsoft call scam" and there are several videos that will help you figure out their script so you can prepare. The video with Rick Astley as 007 on the thumbnail image shows what they do when the software is downloaded (the computer in the video was set up as a bait machine).

My father received one of these calls recently. He isn't a sophisticated computer user, but he has decades of practice trolling telemarketers. His first question: "so.... what are you wearing?"
masterbaiter1
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I spent 1/2 hour with some guy from India helping me with my iMac while I was watching TV. Just say yes to all of their questions - they will keep going. They were clueless as to the difference in PCs and iMacs. Hopefully it was an expensive phone call.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic