SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Ham Radio Scammer Baited

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Adam Zappel
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just for interest, this is a summary of a bait I did in Oct. 2010 after getting a reply to a wanted ad I placed on a well known radio ham site.
Incidentally, I actually got the radio I wanted as a result of someone reading this posting (and HE was located in the UK)!

BTW the 3-500 items mentioned are HUGE glass amplifier valves that would be difficult to get inside a large shoebox, never mind a handheld VHF/UHF radio!

Mr. 'Kitson's' text is blue

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I apologize in advance for the very long post, but I wanted to share this last weeks fun and games with you all.Wink

In response to an ad I placed on QRZ, asking for a cheap IC-92AD.
I received an email from ‘Rod Kitson’ in the UK.
The wording made me chuckle immediately.
It was a cut/paste bog-standard scam-mail introduction.

Oh joy!

Nothing I like better than a bit of scam-baiting Very Happy

I have copied all my sent and received emails between myself and ‘Rod’ for your perusal and entertainment.
Please be aware that these pond-lifes are scouring the internet 24/7/365, looking for people to relieve of their hard-earned money.

All of my replies, right from the get-go are designed to make him believe that he’s found a sucker, which in the scammers circles, are known as ‘Mugu’s’.

People are still caught out by these scum, but there are many signs which should red-flag potential victims, the most obvious being the fact that Paypal is NEVER mentioned, but in 99.9% of cases, Western Union or Moneygram ARE!

It’s your money – look after it!

This is absolutely authentic and great fun.
For those of you out there that think that I’m being cruel, bear in mind that these @#$$% think nothing about taking your last penny, and while I’m wasting his time, running to and from the Western Union office, from the comfort of my office chair, he’s got less time to ruin someone else’s life.

(I’ve deleted my details where necessary, to prevent other spam)!

Saturday, October 9, 2010 3:43 AM
Re. Wanted – IC-92AD;
Hi, Probably not going to get much response to this, but I'm looking for an IC-92AD at the right price (cheap). Don't need any of the accessories like GPS mic or quick charger etc, just the barebones rig (and antenna obviously ) and a charger.

Do you still need the item(s) requested?....mine is in very good
condition. Let me know via email.
Rod Kitson.
97 ropewalk court, Nottingham, NG1 5AD, UK.
[email protected]

(I immediately recognized the format - let the games commence!)
Saturday, October 9, 2010 8:38 AM
Hi Rod,
Yes I'm still wanting one ASAP.
What money are you looking for?
Paul.
Subject: Re: IC-92AD
To: "PS" <p*************@yahoo.com>
Date: Sunday, October 10, 2010, 6:01 AM

$350 shipped. (OOOhhhhh – a Bargain, too good to miss, so I won’t haggle)

Monday, October 11, 2010 12:17 AM
Hi Rod,
That sounds ok.
What's your PayPal account name, and how are you going to ship (DHL/UPS/Royal Mail etc).
Thanks;
Paul

Monday, October 11, 2010 1:06 AM
Hi Paul,
Currently I prefer payment via Western union or Money gram as there is an outlet closer to the UPS office here. (surprise surprise!) I can confirm payment and ship immediately as well. Let me know with your complete shipping address.
Thanks,Rod.

Monday, October 11, 2010 11:15 AM
Hi Rod,
I haven't used western union before, but I've seen the shop in town.
I'll go down later and ask what I have to do, then I can send you the money.
Is there any waiting time when you get the money, or do you get it straight away?
I need the radio quite quickly, so I don't want too many delays.
How are you shipping it, and does it include the DStar board and 1200MHz antenna.
I don't want to sound too eager because I know that some IC92AD's don't include the Dstar board, and I don't really need it anyway, but the 1200MHz antenna is a must have for me.
Is it possible to send it by DHL or UPS because it will be quicker, and I can pay an extra $25 for that, if it's ok with you.
Please tell me what I need to do to pay you, and if I can use Paypal instead if it's quicker.
Thanks;
Paul

Monday, October 11, 2010 11:31 AM
Yes, it includes the DStar board (obviously) and 1200MHz antenna (really). I would need your complete shipping address so I can make shipping arrangements via UPS or DHL whichever you prefer.
Here are the details you would need to make payment via Western Union:
Name: Rod Kitson
Address: 97 ropewalk court, Nottingham, NG1 5AD, UK.
Amount: $350USD
After payment do email me the details below on the Western union payment receipt:
Sender's Name:
MTCN:
Amount Sent:
I shall email you a tracking # and other shipping information once am done with shipping. Kindly let me know once you have made payment so I can complete shipping arrangements.
Thanks, Rod.

Monday, October 11, 2010 8:22 PM
Hi Rod,
Thanks for the reply, and I got back from Western Union, and they told me that all I need to do is tell them your name, and pay the $350 plus a $6 charge to send to the UK.
So I've taken the money out of my bank and am going to send you the money this afternoon.
$350 is a good price for this radio, so I need to know, is it in good condition or very used.
Do you have a photo of it that I can look at before I send the money?
I am a bit scared of sending the money today, in case it is in bad condition and I lose my money.
Please email a small picture so I can see the condition, then I will send the money immediately.
My friend lives in a town near Nottingham called Mansfield, England , but i haven't seen him for 8 years, so maybe not there now.
I await your picture, and have the $356 in my pocket now.(and it's STAYING there)
I prefer DHL, as they can deliver straight to me here - thank you.
Paul
(At this point I thought I’d make him work a bit to actually find out what an IC-92AD is, and ‘harvest’ a picture from the net – another DEAD GIVEAWAY)
Always ask for a photo, then do a Google Image search to see if you can find the identical picture. They are dumb, but think that you’re dumber!
Anyway – the ‘photo’ arrives….

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 12:31 AM
Hi Paul, just saw you mail. I have managed to attach a photo of my IC-92AD .
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_GXHMppAZBuA/TLdggoTE_DI/AAAAAAAAAHc/LyOhpbLfit0/s1600/292762.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_GXHMppAZBuA/TLdggoTE_DI/AAAAAAAAAHc/LyOhpbLfit0/s1600/292762.jpg Its in almost mint shape and condition. I have made shipping inquiries and can ship via DHL to you doorstep. Let me know with your complete shipping address so I can make shipping arrangements.
Thanks,Rod

(A quick Google image search for ‘IC-92AD’ and BINGO!, an identical picture from an ad on Eham by a KF0**) (not involved).

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 10:41 AM
Hi Rod,
Yes it looks ok condition, and can I confirm that you will included the microphone shown, and the cd rom/lead because as you know, the microphone help increase distance (!), and i need to load the Dstar data onto the radio via the cd lead.
I called my friend by Skype, and he is still in Nottinghamshire and he is happy that we are back in contact.
He has now moved home to the town of Radford near Nottingham (What a coincidence - right in Rods neighnourhood).
Please confirm that you are sending the microphone and cd lead and I will send you the money in an hour or two when I go into town. Will they pay you in dollars or english pounds?
Thanks for your patience rod, (You're gonna need a lot more) Paul

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 10:44 AM
Alright Paul. I shall get the IC-92AD packed and ready for shipping as I will be shipping microphone and cd lead as well. Yes, they will pay me in English pounds. Let me know once you have made payment so I can complete shipping arrangements.
Thanks,Rod.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 1:44 AM
Did you get the payment sorted? Let me know so I can complete shipping arrangements.
Rgds Rod
Wednesday, October 13, 2010 9:34 PM
Hi Rod,
I've found an easier way to do this deal, without the need for shipping.
My friend agreed to pay you cash for the radio, and then he can bring it over to me when he visits me next week.
He had the cash on him on Wednesday afternoon, and went over to Nottingham to see if he could knock on your door and pay you.
But he says that the address is just an office block, opposite 'Danish Homestore', furniture shop!
(I actually checked the address on Google Earth Street View for THAT detail)
Are you using your business address, and if so, can I arrange for my friend to meet you somewhere, to pay you, and get the radio?
He's also a fellow radio ham, so he can check the radio for me while he's with you.
I'm sure, by looking at the picture, that the radio is fine,but I MUST check that the 1200MHz antenna is OK, otherwise I can't buy it (get him sweating a bit now), and as you know the 1200MHz antennas are very common failures with these IC-92AD's when DStar, reverse grid bias is overmodulated. (Baffle him with BS)
I'm not implying that you would ever have overmodulated the reverse grid bias, but it is better that I check first before completing our deal.
Please let me know when is convenient for my friend to see you with the cash, then I can give you his phone number and email address.
His name is Michael Hunt, but he prefers to be called Mike.
I'm sure you'll agree that this makes the deal easier for both of us. Thanks;
Paul

Thursday, October 14, 2010 12:39 AM
This is my house address- 30 Cutlers Ave, County Durham DH80AX, UK. He can copme over anytime to pick up. (Oh – he just moved 250 miles north!!)
I Googled the ‘new’ address, and he’s tried to sell a Desert Eagle pistol to a guy in California, who wasn’t fooled http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=5080441 (handguns have been banned in the UK for over 15 years! – I bet the local police would be interested in Rod’s or is it Nick Dudfield’s ‘item’).
************************************************** ************************************************** *********
(Time to call his bluff)
Hi Rod,
I Skyped Michael, and he told me that County Durham is quite a long way from Nottingham, but if you can guarantee that you will be at home, he will drive up there on Saturday.
He knows that I want this radio very much, and he doesn't want me to lose out on the 92AD, so he is prepared to come up to see you, so that he can check it out.

He said that it will take about 4 hours to get there, so he should be there around 12:30 - 1:00, but he needs to be sure that you will definitely be able to meet him.
Please could you also make sure that the battery is charged, so he is able to check that it works ok, and has the 1200MHz antenna, and no grid reverse bias feedback problem that is common with the IC92's. Icom should really change the 3-500ZG's for a more stable output transistor. (Amazing what fits inside that deceivingly small case)

Anyway Rod, thanks for your patience, and please let me know that you can definitely meet Michael on Saturday afternoon because I don't want him to travel up there for nothing.
He will have his boyfriend, Quentin with him, as he has never been that far north, and he wants to have a look around Durham Cathedral while they are up there, and maybe see his old choirmaster.
Thanks again
best wishes
XX (getting friendly with him now)
Paul

Thursday, October 14, 2010 10:31 AM
Sorry Paul, I would be travelling to France on Friday, 15-Oct(tomorrow) as I am going on a short trip with my family. I would be back in 4wks (4 weeks is a SHORT trip?). But the radio is already packed and ready for shipping. But can ship out today though. Let me know.
P.S-Once I ship out and you are not satisfied I would make an immediate refund
(Of course you would, because you’re an honest guy – right?).
Rgds, Rod.

Thursday, October 14, 2010 11:50 AM
Hi Rod,
OK, I'm a bit disappointed that Mike can't collect it in person from you, but thanks for letting me know, so he doesn't have to drive up to Durham.
Quentin will also be quite upset because he hasn’t seen his old choirmaster since his voice broke.
Where do I send the money to? Nottingham or Durham?, because the western union office will ask me that.
I have kept the money here; $356 as agreed, including the mic and cd lead and 1200MHz antenna.

Before I go to western union shop, please confirm that the radio works ok, includes the Microphone, CD lead, 1200MHz antenna and has never had any problem with reverse grid bias over modulation caused by the older model having notoriously leaky 3-500ZG's installed.
Is this definitely a newer model 2009+?
If it is the 2008 or older, then I cannot take the risk of buying it, because I can't get the GS- 35B's that the 2009/2010 model has to replace the 3-500ZG's in the earlier model (maybe the 500's were a bit big) -sorry.
So if you can confirm that it is the model with the GS-35B tubes and 1200MHz antenna, I will go into town and pay the money into the Western Union office.
Please confirm ASAP, before you go to France (BTW do you like frogs?).

If the GS-35's are installed (2009/10), then I am happy with the deal, and will wait for you to confirm you have received my payment.
I will include my full postal address on the western union form, and please tell DHL or UPS that my apartment is actually above the 'Blue-Oyster' gay bar (even though we share the same street number), and they will have to press the intercom on the left (labeled ‘BIG Paul’) to contact me upstairs. (He’s very slow isn’t he?)
Please don't deliver to the bar, or I will have to 'go down' to collect it from the boys in there; and to be honest, I can't spare the time.
Thanks again Rod,
Please get back with confirmation ASAP, so I can nip out to WU with your cash. (Dangle the carrot).
Thanks
XXX (Three this time)
Paul

Thursday, October 14, 2010 12:53 PM
Alright Paul. You can send the payment to my address in 30 Cutlers Ave, County Durham DH80AX, UK. The radio is in almost mint condition and works perfectly. Its in almost mint condition and works perfectly. The (2009/2010) GS-35's are already installed as its the newer model. (Wow – that’s a seriously powerful handheld!)
I already packed the radio for shipping and it would be coming with the Microphone, CD lead, 1200MHz antenna. I will be shipping directly to your address via DHL. Let me know once you have sent payment so I can ship out immediately.
Rgds, Rod.

Well – I just got back from an eventful and exhausting ‘trip’ to my local WU office to ‘send’ the money to our intrepid (and patient) radio seller…
Thursday, October 14, 2010 2:38 PM
Hi Rod,
I'm all in a cafuffle now!
I spent an hour in the Western Union office, messing about with white forms, blue forms and even a nice pink form. (He’s not very quick at spotting the clues is he?)
I filled in the details you gave me and gave it to the dizzy cow behind the window.
She asked me for a secret question and a secret password - what's THAT all about, I only want to send a bit of money and she thinks it's a matter of national security!
You didn't mention that I had to give stupid questions and answers.
I never had this problem with Paypal and I've done almost $25,000 of business with them this year, and about $70,000 in the last 2 1/2 years. (BIG carrot dangle to keep him eager not to lose me)
She also told me that because the amount is over $250, you need to use a 'fully registered' western union office.(BS)
The office that will authorize larger payments is actually in a business called
FIRST CHOICE
GATESHEAD MC
57 RUSSELL WAY
METRO CENTRE
GATESHEAD
NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE
NORTHUMBERLAND
England
(I checked WU website, and made sure that the WU office where he has to collect his money is 10 miles from his ‘home’, and is located in the Gateshead Metro Centre, which is a pig to get into because of the city traffic, and costs about $5 an hour for parking)

She said that the money will be available for you in 30 minutes, but it's taken me an hour to get back home, so it will be there now for you.
I have sent $350 USD + $6 commision fee = $356 USD
She said that you will get 219 English pounds, so I hope that's ok with you because it will cost you about 25 pounds to send the radio by UPS.

The details on this receipt are:
Senders name: Mr. Paul W. Anker
MTCN: 8874103166
Pay to: Mr. Rod Kitson
Amount:$350 USD

Secret question: Which radio is it?
Secret answer: It's a 1200MHz IC-92AD.

She told me that you must provide photo identity to the receiving office in UK, but you probably already know that.

The WU office girl was really slow, and she didn't even know how to work her computer properly.
She made lots of mistakes when she was putting the details in, and even asked me for the MTCN twice, when she had the receipt in front of her - dizzy cow!
Then she couldn't get the 'system' to accept the details and had to call her supervisor over to show her what to do (he was a hunk). (!)
She then blamed the computer, and told me that there was a problem in the network, but that the payment looked like it was OK.
When I told her it was important that it went through because you were going overseas tomorrow, she just shrugged her shoulders and told me not to worry (easy for her, it's not HER bloody radio at stake).
I really hope that it’s OK, and I don't want to have to go into that place ever again!
Have you any idea how long it will take to ship the radio to me, and will you be using DHL or UPS?

Sorry for the rant, but I hate it when things don't go to plan.
Please find my full address in the 'Additional Instructions' section that they will print for you (I never give my address on email, in case it gets hacked).

You should open a PayPal account because it's much quicker and easier, and you don't even have to leave home to get your money - it's instant and safe from people who can rip you off online.
I will stayed logged on to email for your reply and to make sure that you get my complete address, and can give me a tracking number for the radio.
Thanks Rod
XXXX (4)
Paul

Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:09 PM
Hi paul, just saw your mail and I've also confirmed your shipping
address
(I never gave him an address to confirm!). Will get back to you with a tracking # and other shipping
information once payment is confirmed and am done with shipping.
Rgds Rod.

Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:28 PM
Tried calling the western union office to confim payment and the lady on the phone says there is'nt any transaction with the details you sent.(how did that happen?) Could you check and let me know.
Rod.
(NO regards or best wishes now?)

Thursday, October 14, 2010 8:34 PM
Rod,
I'm getting so frustrated now at how difficult it is to send a small amount of money.
At the moment I am busy, and not able to go into town, but give me another 2 hours and I'm going to have a drive into town to sort this out.
If you prefer, I can send you the money right NOW with my PayPal account.
You don't have to wait for any confirmation, and I can check later with Western Union to see what's happening and cancel the payment that I sent earlier.
I just looked at my receipt here, and there might be a mistake in the number that I gave you.
When I just looked at the number on the form, the second number which looks like an 8, could be a 6, so instead of being 8874103166, it should be 8674103166.
Surely you can just give them your name and they can check, without all this silly number baloney
Are you packed ready for your short 4 week trip to France yet, put plenty of suntan lotion and mosquito repellent in your case, as it can be quite hot, especially south of Dieppe.(98% of France is south of Dieppe – will he notice?, I doubt it)
Please check with them to see if the revised MTCN is better, and if not, I will pay you by PayPal now, then go and cancel the WU transaction.
Let me have your Paypal name if you have one, then we can get this pallava all sewn up within an hour, or maybe you can suggest another method of payment.
I'm rapidly beginning to get myself all huffed up with this deal, and feel like sobbing into my hankie, waiting for my beloved IC-92AD with the GS-35's installed.
Please advise me as to our next course of action.
X (back to 1 kiss again, after our little tiff)
Paul

(Well – all good things must come to an end – looks like he’s cottoned on)

Thursday, October 14, 2010 10:48 PM
It looks like your playing some game hey? I guess I would have to sell the IC-92AD to somelse. Thanks for wasting my time.

(We part on good terms - I think)
Friday, October 15, 2010 1:21 AM
Rod!
Please don't leave me.
I feel we've grown closer this last week, and my friend Michael LOVES your name ROD.
He says it gives him goose-bumps, but he'll never break up with Quentin for you (unless you send him a photo and he likes it).

I really NEED that radio Rod, give me another chance, I promise I'll be a good boy for you.

Oh OK then, so I guess this is goodbye.
The pleasure was all mine, and THANK YOU so much for the entertainment you've given me and thousands of my FaceBook friends.
Have a great time in France, and try not to get too sunburned....

I know, I broke the golden rule of letting him know he'd been baited, but this was before I checked out the do's and don'ts on here.

Here's looking forward to the next one.
Cheers all and merry Xmas (though we don't get much snow this end with year round temperatures at the 35-40 C mark)
Laughing
May 2014 bring Mugus aplenty
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic