SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

So some scammers scared my grandparents half to death...

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
alexmichaels
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi everyone, I'm not really new to this community but have not been here in a long time. However, a recent incident with my grandparents in Texas has sent me here for some advice.

My grandmother and grandfather recently received a panicked phone call from someone claiming to be me. Apparently I had been driving through South America with a college buddy and we had been stopped by Peruvian border police, and my friend was found to be in possession of a large amount of marijuana. According to "myself" and a "Peruvian official", I would be locked in a foreign prison for the next five years unless a bribe of $1635 was paid (by Western Union of course) within the next two hours. Fortunately, a Western Union employee suggested that they contact my parents first to see if I was really in Peru before any money was sent. The scammers called again afterwards, and my grandfather "had a few words with them" before they hung up on him. So no financial harm done, but both of my grandparents feel angry and humiliated over the event, and the experience nearly gave one of them a heart attack.

I have heard of this type of scam before, but never one that is done over the phone where someone is actually impersonating the relative in question, which means whoever did this at the very least can convincingly speak in an american accent.

So what I have now is the phone number of the con artists, which a quick google search tells me has a Montreal area code. If there is some way to make it harder for these people to do this to others, or at least annoy them, I'd appreciate the input (I already know about baiting safe).
SlapHappy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry to hear that your grandparents were frightened this way. Please go to our sister site, Scamwarners.com, and post all of the scammer's details there.
They are probably using a VOIP number, and it sound most likely to be Jamaican scammers from the sound of it, but could be from anywhere. Baiting these guys is impossible, as they will have redirected phone lines, fake name, and do not use emails.
Warning victims by posting details is most important in your case.

Safari Safari Sand Timer (19 mo.) Tina and Joe's Safari - Accra to Niger & Timbucktu
Safari Safari Z@ke & Charlie -Wulugu Or Bust Safari- Lagos to Paga & Tokwari X2 - 3800mi.
Golden Pith x3 H3ctor & C@leb - Yankar1 & Parakou
Safari x2 Charles and Friend-Amsterdam to Vatican
Safari Issac to Chad
Be A Cool Cat, Like Me Trophy Videos Cool Stuff
pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar Goat Easter Egg 2011
Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Interestingly, while the more common lottery phone scams almost invariably originate in Jamaica, these "grandparent scams" (as well as some of the more organized advance-fee loan scams) actually tend to be run out of Canada, which also explains why the accent was not as big of an issue (and the Canadian phone number.)

http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/22/retirement/grandparent-scams/index.html

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/national/Grandparent+scam+continues+bilk+savings+seniors+across/8494833/story.html

If your grandparents have not done so, they should report the attempted crime. The one good thing if it is Canadian in origin is that the odds are (a little) higher that some or all of the perpetrators will ultimately face charges.

It is also a good idea to take a quick look at what details are publicly posted on social networking sites (e.g. facebook pages, twitter) as there is a good chance that the criminals have used those sites to get the information needed to target them.

Some people have actually created a code word that the grandparents can ask for to verify that the caller is really their family member. This can be especially helpful if the grandparents have any hearing issues that might impact their ability to identify voices (or if the scammers try again, posing as the police or an attorney, both variants of the scam.) Basically if the caller can't provide the code word, they know that the caller is not you and has not been talking to you.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry to see your relatives were targeted and I hope they will be fine after the scare. It is nice to read the the clerk actually recommended action first rather than just accepting their money.

Sand Timer Hana, Flip It, G spot, Rosy, Cynthia
Cellphone - web store
Just read the posting on Eater. You are one sick motherf****r! Smile-Alan
"The skull with bunny ears was a good enough warning" - Nailgunner
mentors- http://forum.419eater.com/forum/cherrie_mentor_program.php
This Derick moral monster! From http:/ /scamnewss.wordpress.com/2011/10/14/derrick-ratt-scammer-beware/ Vlad blog
http://tinyurl.com/btf7872 - Toolbox
BearSeason
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This scam has been unfortunately rising in popularity, especially in the border states. I've met quite a few people in San Diego that have been targets or known people who have been targets. Glad to hear your grandparents didn't lose any money because of it.

U 2 go fuck yourself ! I don't need the money and stop emailing me please / BASTARD!!!! / fuck ur family
<a href="/forum/donate.php">Where all the cool kids are.</a>
Closed lad accounts x 47 Mortar x 2 x 2 Easter Egg 2013
Big Al
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I wonder if you can't give the phone number to Big-X for his phone chain?? Might be a good response to their tactics.
Leka
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Big Al wrote:
I wonder if you can't give the phone number to Big-X for his phone chain?? Might be a good response to their tactics.

Would certainly confuse them.
4X1X9
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There is a similar scam targeting Nigerian nationals living abroad - they get a phone call from a 'doctor' claiming that a family member needs some life saving surgery but they need to pay for it via Western Union immediately. The script is different but essentially it plays on the same need to make a fast non-reversable money transfer before you have time to think things through logically.

Quote:
Fortunately, a Western Union employee suggested that they contact my parents first to see if I was really in Peru before any money was sent.

This is a good quote to keep for the monthly, 'Western Union don't do enough to stop scammers' thread.

You will have to munch the statistics of the transfer so I can give to them - Mr. James Hessom Hessom

If not that you only hide behind computer and be playing prawns with us - Benny Clifford

Pith Helmet France - Luxembourg

Closed lad accounts x26 - 2012 Closed lad accounts x258 - 2013
Closed lad accounts x263 - 2014 Closed lad accounts x160 - 2015
Closed lad accounts x204 & x1 - 2016
Closed lad accounts x177 - 2017 Closed lad accounts x81 - 2018
Closed lad accounts x85 - 2019 Closed lad accounts x9 -2020
(Grand Total Closed lad accounts 1,262) Golden Pig
Leka
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

4X1X9 wrote:
There is a similar scam targeting Nigerian nationals living abroad - they get a phone call from a 'doctor' claiming that a family member needs some life saving surgery but they need to pay for it via Western Union immediately. The script is different but essentially it plays on the same need to make a fast non-reversable money transfer before you have time to think things through logically.

Quote:
Fortunately, a Western Union employee suggested that they contact my parents first to see if I was really in Peru before any money was sent.

This is a good quote to keep for the monthly, 'Western Union don't do enough to stop scammers' thread.

Apparently there is a scam targeting Somalis that involves a scammer pretending to be a long lost relative of some recent arrival. This doesn't neccessarily involve ripping of any money but gives the scamer a chance to move into a nicer country. And then to bring his family along.
Big X
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Big Al wrote:

If the number is in Canada, I can definitely flood it with calls from other scammers.

Flag PakistanUnited Arab EmiratesTurkeyChinaKorean FlagJapanThailandVietnam FlagCambodia FlagFilipino flagMalaysiaIndonesiaAustraliaNew ZealandSouth AfricaKenyaNigeriaGhanacameroonBeninTogoIvory Coast x15,508
Safari Rev Ozzy: Warri-Lome-Cotonou
Safari Woody: Accra-Singapore
Safari Archie x2: Lagos-Natitingou, Abuja-Niamey
Sand Timer John W, Rev Ozzy, Lil Richard, Zenith, Ever Bank, Robert M, Archie x2
oscarpiles
#1 Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Until I am Blue in the face I will say that my Mother went to WU with $5,000 cash to save her Grand Daughter but was stopped by an Employee who made her tea and called the Police.
This woman did not have to do this but she did and I will always remember her for it. Money? Who Cares? Really a bit of cash isn't the problem for my Mother but the whole scared to death thing is another ball of wax.

I do not want to be associated with occult and blood sucking organization,i was told that you are not a man of God but an occult leader with 666 sign. - Elvis
Until thy kingdom hell of stupidity thy come!!! - Sarah
I AM GOING CRAZYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Bobby/Jenny/Jugs/moneyp**
ufffffffffffffffffffffffff - Outlander
F*ck you ass all – Jerry Asshat
i am a good lad i have told u that many times - Kevin the Idiot
You need home training lol - Brian LaLadyBits

Jack Boot Mortar Closed lad accounts Tattoo Sand Timer Vcamera Safari Easter 2015 Easter Egg 2013 Whip Whip
alexmichaels
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Big X wrote:
Big Al wrote:

If the number is in Canada, I can definitely flood it with calls from other scammers.

Is it okay to post the number of the scammers here? I'm not sure if there are any rules regarding phone numbers.
oscarpiles
#1 Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^Just send Big X a PM and he will make sure the number is put to good use.

I do not want to be associated with occult and blood sucking organization,i was told that you are not a man of God but an occult leader with 666 sign. - Elvis
Until thy kingdom hell of stupidity thy come!!! - Sarah
I AM GOING CRAZYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Bobby/Jenny/Jugs/moneyp**
ufffffffffffffffffffffffff - Outlander
F*ck you ass all – Jerry Asshat
i am a good lad i have told u that many times - Kevin the Idiot
You need home training lol - Brian LaLadyBits

Jack Boot Mortar Closed lad accounts Tattoo Sand Timer Vcamera Safari Easter 2015 Easter Egg 2013 Whip Whip
alexmichaels
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Alright, pm sent.
Big Al
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ Cool Beans, Have at them Big X!!
Big X
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have the number now, I'll send it out to hundreds of lads in the morning. Twisted Evil

Flag PakistanUnited Arab EmiratesTurkeyChinaKorean FlagJapanThailandVietnam FlagCambodia FlagFilipino flagMalaysiaIndonesiaAustraliaNew ZealandSouth AfricaKenyaNigeriaGhanacameroonBeninTogoIvory Coast x15,508
Sand Timer John W, Rev Ozzy, Lil Richard, Zenith, Ever Bank, Robert M, Archie x2
UniBaiter
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My mother in-law was take by this a few years ago and sent them $2000. He was supposedly in jail in Canada and needed the money for bail. The guy told her not to call his parents because he didn't want to upset them. She called the police where she lives, but they told her there was nothing they could do.

It would be nice if there was a way to nab these guys when they went to pick up the money.

Mister Volleyball
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You can use a few free webtools to see if it is a VOIP line.

phonevalidator.com is one of my favorites

tnid.us also works

Both are free. If TNID says CLEC, its usually a voip too.
alexmichaels
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Phonevalidator tells me its a cell phone from Montreal.
Big X
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^ It's a cell phone from Montreal that has been ringing all day, if my phone chain lads have been doing the job properly. Twisted Evil

Mister Volleyball
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

alexmichaels wrote:
Phonevalidator tells me its a cell phone from Montreal.

Depending on if a cop wants jurisdiction or not, with a valid cell phone number, it is possible to pick these clowns up.

Just sayin....
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic