SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Limits on Bank Withdrawals

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Raga Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have been following developments in the Cyprus banking crisis story very closely. I am fully aware that this banking crisis is deeply intertwined with European Union politics so let me assure you that I am going nowhere near the politics of this situation with my comments. The only reason I mention Cyprus at all is that this situation has reminded me of recent personal banking experiences that some may find valuable.

As we all know, you can walk into your bank (or go to your ATM) and, provided you have sufficient funds in your account, get cash. What I suspect many people do not realize is that there are limits to such requests. I learned this the hard way. For many years, I kept about $25,000 in a “money market” mutual fund administered by a very large and well-established company. These “money market” funds are considered very low-risk so they paid only about 3% - 5% interest. A few years ago, that interest rate dropped to nearly zero (where it remains to this day). The turmoil in the banking industry and the non-existent return on my investment caused me to decide my funds would be more secure kept in a safe in my home.

So, I got online and logged into my mutual fund account with the intent of withdrawing almost all of my funds (leaving just enough to keep the account open). When I tried to transfer the $25,000 from my mutual fund account to my personal checking account, I discovered that the mutual fund company would only allow me to move a maximum of $5,000 per week. That was mildly distressing but, I thought, at least I can get my hands on a significant chunk of my money rather quickly so I issued an order to transfer $5,000. It took a few days from the time I issued the transfer order for the funds to hit my checking account. When they did, I went to the local branch office of my bank (one of the largest in the US) and asked for $5,000 in cash. Much to my dismay, I was told I could only get $1,000 in cash per day. It took the better part of 2 weeks to convert one-fifth of the funds in my mutual fund account into cash. I had to go through this routine 5 times (with 25 trips to my bank) to get my hands on all of my $25,000. This took almost 2 months.

I tell this tale to make people aware that limits on bank withdrawals are not imposed only in severe crisis situations like Cyprus. They already exist – at least in some countries and with some financial institutions. I suspect such limitations are commonplace.

The morale of the story is: You should find out what the limits are on your ability to move your funds around and to convert bank deposits into cash. It may be more difficult than you think. And, if you ever contemplate converting your deposits into cash, you may need to give yourself PLENTY of lead time to do so.

Nurse Nastys Audi TT + Sand Timer (15 mo.) David Holt (will eat your flesh for money)
"there is something fishery going on", "You people are all Junks", E. Kaba
"Go and face your dumb life", J. Mathin
"You are not well trained as a human being...", M. Tony
"...there are thieves and kackers and postal pilferers in africa...", E. Didier. Shocked Who knew?
Collieflower
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Or you phone your bank in advance and say I'm needing my £25'000 out in cash please. I'll collect it in 7days, thanks!

Worked for me when I was buying a car anyway. (Cheaper price if it's cash in hand.) I had to prove I had adequate security, but that wasn't an issue as the boyfriend is a hairy scary biker dude and he brought a couple of mates along to help. Wink
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We can use this to our advantage - we are dying to send the lad his money, but we foolishly deposited all our monies in a Cyprus bank, and it has been frozen.

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
Juan Freizwidatt
Associate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I used to do a lot of wheeling and dealing in antiques, and in that realm, cash is king. I never had any problem walking into my bank and taking out $9K at one time. Or more, if I was willing to fill out Federal forms (required on any cash withdrawal or deposit in excess of $10K).

If I were planning to go to a major show I would withdraw $9K one week, and another $5K-$9K the next, depending upon how much I anticipated needing. Again, never a problem. Technically, however, the IRS could have jumped all over me because they have rules about evading the $10K documents-needed regulation with the sort of ploy I used.

I'm surprised they restricted you to $1K per day. That has simply never come up with my bank. The only restriction they place is on the amount I can withdraw from the ATM on any given day.

(I have retired from the show circuit so I'm no longer playing with so much cash anymore, but it does blow my mind when I think about all the times I would get on a plane with anywhere from $10K-$25K in my carry-on. And that I was routinely spending upwards of $100K a year in cash. Shocked )

"HOW DOES IT SOUND TO YOU THAT ANOTHER PERSON IS DEALING WITH YOU AND ASK YOU TO CONTACT ANOTHER PERSON AND NOW YOU SAID THAT YOU WANT TO DEAL WITH THE OTHER PERSON WITHOUT THE KNOWING OF THE PERSON THAT ASK YOU TO CONTACT THE OTHER PERSON"

I apologize again that I will lick the dust from your sandals - Shorty

Sand Timer x4: Shorty
Safari x 16:
US lad w/Capone: ( Golden Pith ) Black Ribbon
- ATL>DC>ATL>Vegas>Seattle>ATL>San Diego>LA>ATL>Seattle>ATL>WY>ATL>Aspen>ATL (21K+ miles, $11K+ expenses)
Shorty w/bohigal:
- Lagos>Abidjan
Random lads:
- Douala>Korup; Lagos>Cotonou>Parakou; Cotonou>Niger border; Cotonou>Pendjari>jail in Tanguietta; Asaba>Abuja; Accra>Tamale
Purple Flower Goat Jack Boot Whip
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Juan Freizwidatt wrote:
I was routinely spending upwards of $100K a year in cash.

Thanks for the info.

Love,

Your friends at the CIA, NSA, FBI, DHS and several other three letter entities.

Associate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^
NB: past tense. That was before I retired. And I did declare my profits. I was in the odd position of buying for cash but selling for checks and credit cards, which are fully documented. No getting around that. My only worry was if I ever was audited. How to defend my cost of sales based on my own handwritten notes?

"HOW DOES IT SOUND TO YOU THAT ANOTHER PERSON IS DEALING WITH YOU AND ASK YOU TO CONTACT ANOTHER PERSON AND NOW YOU SAID THAT YOU WANT TO DEAL WITH THE OTHER PERSON WITHOUT THE KNOWING OF THE PERSON THAT ASK YOU TO CONTACT THE OTHER PERSON"

I apologize again that I will lick the dust from your sandals - Shorty

Sand Timer x4: Shorty
Safari x 16:
US lad w/Capone: ( Golden Pith ) Black Ribbon
- ATL>DC>ATL>Vegas>Seattle>ATL>San Diego>LA>ATL>Seattle>ATL>WY>ATL>Aspen>ATL (21K+ miles, $11K+ expenses)
Shorty w/bohigal:
- Lagos>Abidjan
Random lads:
- Douala>Korup; Lagos>Cotonou>Parakou; Cotonou>Niger border; Cotonou>Pendjari>jail in Tanguietta; Asaba>Abuja; Accra>Tamale
Purple Flower Goat Jack Boot Whip
Raga Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I am sure withdrawal limits vary significantly depending on what country you live in and what bank you use. These limits probably also vary over time so what may have been true a short time ago may no longer be so. As the debt/banking crisis has deepened, this has become one of my concerns - that much stricter limits (all the way up to shutting down banks as was recently done in Cyprus) could be imposed with little or no notice.

I am concerned about this because my wife and I have significant funds in tax-deferred retirement accounts. If I were to hear of proposals to confiscate a large percentage of those accounts (such proposals have recently been made in Cyprus), I would start seriously thinking about pulling our funds out of those accounts. There would be taxes and penalties to be considered but a couple of years from now that will be less of an issue. The bigger problem might be the logistics of actually converting those accounts to cash.

I may begin shopping around at other banks to see what their withdrawal limits are. It might be a good idea to link each of our retirement accounts to different checking accounts in different banks. This could increase the speed with which funds could be withdrawn significantly.

Nurse Nastys Audi TT + Sand Timer (15 mo.) David Holt (will eat your flesh for money)
"...there are thieves and kackers and postal pilferers in africa...", E. Didier. Shocked Who knew?
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^Here is a good blog, if you are interested in this kind of stuff.

http://www.zerohedge.com/

Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
If I were to hear of proposals to confiscate a large percentage of those accounts (such proposals have recently been made in Cyprus), I would start seriously thinking about pulling our funds out of those accounts

Not sure where you live, but it was proposed in the US during President Clinton's first term (15% tax).

http://www.businessweek.com/stories/1994-10-30/private-nest-eggs-dont-make-public-safety-nets

On another note, I had a large bank temporarily hold funds (to ensure a check cleared) when I wrote a check from one account in their bank to a different account in the same bank! (I controlled both accounts, but they were not linked within their system)

You mean to tell me it takes 3 business days to confirm there is money in an account in their own bank??

"you can as well fuck the hell out" Barr. Peter Ojiko
"Don;t even try to mail me again,just forget about me forever.Even GO AWAY" Abu Tafa
Easter Egg 2013
Code:
Closed lad accounts x 2
Big Al
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've used the $1000.00 per day rule in a bait not long ago. Funny how the Lad decided to take 4 smaller payments of $2500.00 rather than 1 lump sum. LOL. Then the first two MG payments didn't go through and I stopped pulling out cash and had to recall the MG payments from my end. Of course I needed an ID-10T from the two payees to get it returned or I would need to go to court to have it returned. (The lawyer wasn't cheap that got my money back either) I never could get the second ID-10T and the second payee was a female. I guess the Lad doesn't have a GF that he wants to involve in the scam.
Raga Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@IM_Dumm: I live in the US. Thanks for the link to that 1994 article. I won't offer any comment on it so this thread doesn't wander off into the realm of politics.

@Big Al: I can see how withdrawal limits could be useful in baiting but this thread isn't about baiting.

Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiDDPMw8VO0

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ LOL_sign

Nanny Ogg
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Can only speak for UK, well Scotland in particular
there will be a limit in what you can transfer

This will change if you go into the bank and talk to them face to face

and here's a nice thing for you baiters, some banks will not clear online transactions after a certain time of night
Nanny Ogg
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've just remembered that I also got questioned about a cash deposit
Morgain Le Fay
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Try bringing money back into the country.

When I sold my house in Canada and brought my funds back into the USA, we had fun at the bank!!!!! FORMS!!

I dodged the taxes because at that time if you sold a home (which I did in the USA) and bought another home within 2 years you were OK. I just bought my house in Canada which the rule applied.

I did lose some money bringing it back into the US because of the value of the Canadian dollar at that time.

Mortar x5
TV Star
.edu's 260 reported
Click here to support 419Eater.com
US Dropbox

"You people are all Junks" - Miss E. Kabx

"Maybe you are insane as your so called sat..." Barrister Insane

The website below is available for Eater folks to use.
Film & Production Needs
bearkat419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Cash makes no enemies. Let's be friends. Laughing

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic