SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

This one's personal...

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Kernel
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi all - haven't done this for a while but this particular scenario has got a rise out of me... a good friend of mine has had her email account hacked, and a bait email has been sent out to everyone in her address book.
Quote:
I really hope you get this fast. I could not inform anyone about our trip, because it was impromptu. we had to be in Manila, Philippines for a program. The program was successful, but our journey has turned sour. we misplaced our wallet and cell phone on our way back to the hotel we lodge in after we went for sight seeing. The wallet contained all the valuables we had. Now, our passport is in custody of the hotel management pending when we make payment.
I am sorry if i am inconveniencing you, but i have only very few people to run to now. i will be indeed very grateful if i can get a loan of 2,300 Euro from you. this will enable me sort our hotel bills and get my sorry self back home. I will really appreciate whatever you can afford in assisting me with. I promise to refund it in full as soon as I return. let me know if you can be of any assistance. Please, let me know soonest. Thanks so much..

This one has done his homework as there are phrases in there that she uses herself and it's finished with the shortened version of her name - he has had a good old nose in her emails before deleting them all along with all her contacts! This has really screwed her over and I would like to return the favour Cool Already sent the "oh no, I hope you're OK, of course I'll help you" email, just waiting for the reply.

How can I really ruin his week?
Big Al
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Actually Kernel, this is another one of those un-baitable situations. The scammer possibly has your friends RL info. If you really anger the Lad they might retaliate against your friend. Better to warn other contacts and let the whole thing drop.
TheDane
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree. If I was in your shoes, I would alert your friend, and in turn have him alert his mail contacts, but I strongly advise that you do not start a bait on this one, as he with all probability has access to your friends personal info, and your friend is to be regarded as an ITP.

Sand Timer T.W.A.T Santa Safari Lagos-Ouagadougou-Arbinda Safari Warri-Yaoundé

I AM A FOOL AND I AM SO DISAPPOINTED - Brother Okei AKA Goat Milk Lad
I do not wish my enemy what I have experienced and this humiliation you are putting me through - Rushforth (on behalf of Dharma & Dr Mike)
Kernel
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

OK - I never thought of that... thanks guys! At least if I get one reply from him I've wasted 5 minutes of his time...

I'll have to take my frustration out on another more anonymous scumbag instead Smile
Big Al
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Contact Dorothy here at Eater. She has/had a throwaway account that she was trying to get a scammer to do the same thing with so baiters could massbait the clown. Maybe it would suit your fancy.

I don't know the status of that project. Maybe Dorothy could give an update concerning it.
Agent1002
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I led a mass misinformation campaign on one of these a few years ago, Due to RL commitments I don't have the time to head this up this time.

The scenario was the company boss she worked for wants to know her return date because she is late back to work, a long lost boyfriend in town where she is stranded offers to help, will provide an airline ticket and ride to the airport.. Just meet me for dinner at syz pub just down the street.. etc. Friends and family speculate she is on drugs, left the country to avoid jail, or other malady.

In short, the vic has left town unexpectedly and hasn't shown up for work. Concerned family and friends are trying to help in anyway possible.

Scammer gets the idea the RL vic info is no longer valid and stops responding to email resulting in further reaching out from family to bring her home. Her old boyfriend with the airplane ticket can be a real bother as he knows many of her contacts, knows her face, and trying to meet in person.. Not gonna happen. A SIP gateway in the target country is helpful to pull this off. An investment in a DID number in the target country to take the calls, adds legitimacy. Gall me now my number is XXX here in town.. I would love to hear your voice again!! Tell me you are OK.. Lets meet for dinner tomorrow night.. Scammer can't place the call, but can do a wrong number dialed to see if the claim is legit..

How to set up a SIP account.. Get a free SIP account using a free account such as Ekiga, IPtel, IPPI, etc.. Some come with voicemail. IPtel and IPPI come with free voicemail. Easy way to tell if your lad tested your number.

Get a DID number. Subscribe for a month. Prices vary based on country and provider. US DID numbers are free in Washington State USA from IPKall.

If you want to check your voicemail, you will need an IP phone, either physical or a Skype type PC based softphone. Many of those are free. On Linux Twinkle, Linphone, Ekiga, and others work great.

To plug IPPI, they have a SIP to/from Gtalk, SIP to/from Skype,gateways, voicemail, and a free iNum. Google it for details. With a free IPKall number, I have a number to hand out to lads not tied to my RL info in any way. The Skype gateway shields my real IP addy from anyone calling in from Skype as the IP of the gateway in France shows, not my real IP. I went a step further and have an IP phone tied to the SIP account so calls to the account ring a scamer on the line phone at my house. Fun if I want to take a call.

Anyone want to start a disinformation campaign on our poor stranded traveler?

Internet Security Team

Agent 1002
Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Agent1002:
The scenario you describe still puts the box owner at risk. If the scammer figures out that he is being played or passes the emails up the chain to someone who is more aware, then he WILL blame the original victim for playing with him and will potentially take his anger out on him/her. You have no idea what information is in that box for the scammer to misuse when angry.

I still have "special" email accounts loaded with nothing but baiter addresses, and I hand them over to phishing emails as I get them.

Kernel:
If your friend gets the account back, have them look for the original phishing email that triggered the attack. If you can get that email (which will have gone to hundreds of people, I can "accidentally" hand the keys over to them.

The same applies to any phishing emails that don't pose a virus threat.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic