SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Collectables

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I thought I would share this. It's amazing what folk will pay for something so it can be added to a collection.

I collect slide rules and every once in while one of these comes up:

Old (v desirable) Slide Rule in Mint Condition

It's already over what I could afford to pay so that's my chance of owning one gone for now. These can go for well over a thousand dollars on a good day. Still five and a half days to go on this auction.

I thought I was being really smart collecting slide rules as they can be picked up for a few pounds/dollars/euros. Then I discovered there was another end to the market.

Should have chose something easy to collect like North Korean wristwatches say. Very Happy

If it's LADS you want. GoTo: http://www.yopmail.com/
and sign in with either ladmail or kentbrockman
conga22
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Use a calculator Twisted Evil

There is a lot of spaces in the receipt for them to put their stamp, so why do they put the stamp on the 10 digital codes, and you know that without the correct number ,western union here cannot issue out the payment. (I know Laughing)
When i tell you how to do things well you will do the opposite Why?-Joseph D1ar4
Closed lad accounts X60 X3
Tattoo Vcamerawatch video here Safari Lagos to Cotonou - thanks Mr. Grant

Mortar Japan Portugal United Kingdom x4 Easter Egg 2012
Big Al
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmmm, a while ago I ran across one somewhere in my managerie of stuff. I'll probably never see it again but if I do I'll try to get it to you.

People collect most anything. You just gotta know what it is and get it in the right place to sell it.
Rooted
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I grew up in the age when calculators were first introduced and I think most of us tossed out the old sliderules the first chance we got. Who would have ever believed that they would bring these sort of prices! Looking back I can appreciate the beauty of having all the solutions sitting right in front of you without having to punch calculator buttons for each problem.

Become a GOLD DIGGER

Closed lad accounts x18
Mortar x1

I thank you for your mail and wish to inform you that I mate with the lawyer this afternoon...

PAY YOUR BILL PAY YOUR BILL.OR STOP WASTING YOUR TIME. BARRISTER S ZUMA ESQ.

How will be asking all that question wasting my time that is precious....

... you are a joker a deciever and also a liar ...

New User's FAQ
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Makes me want to go rooting in my Mum's cupboards next time I visit, I know I had one, and have no idea hat happened to it.

When I took my maths 'O' and 'A' levels, only the very rich kids had calculators, so it was slide rules or logarithmic tables only in the exam room.

ETA: I wouldn't want that one CP, it only works in German! Laughing

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The thing with slide rules is, you need to have a rough idea what the answer is going to be before you make the calculation.

With electronic calculators, mistakes happen because the answer is generally accepted as being right whether or not the right buttons were pushed.

I still use one to calculate areas when pricing work. Never fails to impress customers.

windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I wouldn't want one of those in my collection unless one came up really cheap. Don't think they look particularly nice.

This is regarded as one of the most beautiful slide rules ever made:

Faber Castell Novo Duplex 2/83N

Amazingly, they can still be be bought from Faber Castell. They found some old stocks and are selling them off direct. Though only with German instructions.

Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Captain Pugwash wrote:
Should have chose something easy to collect like North Korean wristwatches say. Very Happy

I see what you did there.

Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I sympathise Pugsy! I have a collection of vintage powder compacts, mostly bought when I was younger at various car boot sales and antiques fairs. It's a decent collection, just over 200 compacts covering most makes and types. I haven't added to the collection for a few years, partly as these days I have other financial priorities (you know, mortgage, food, bills... Wink ) and partly because the cost of any significant addition is now out of my price range. Yes there are still lots of cheaper buys out there, but in most cases I'd be duplicating ones I already have. It needs to be something special to get my finger twitching, but when that happens they usually go on the market at my top-end so I'm quickly out of the running. Sad

Still, there's always that potential lucky find at a car boot sale. Sometimes the search is half the fun. Very Happy

Squirrels Hate Me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Now you have me curious and I need to go find my fathers slide rule.Dates from sometime in the 30s I would think.Not quite as fancy as those,but it does have an impressive sliding magnifier on it as I recall.

You have given me enough stress through the shit you sent to me
Jack the hitlad

What you sent to me is not real, don't you fucking understand simple english, that is not real slip from money gram, I have been using money gram before now, FUCK YOU. IDIOT. PLAY YOUR GAME WELL. MASTER OF ALL PLAYERS
Jack,the hitlad who keeps giving me fresh sig lines

Closed lad accounts x35 x2 Easter Egg 2012
Master
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Roycropper wrote:
Makes me want to go rooting in my Mum's cupboards next time I visit

interesting fetish there mr cropper

Safari it was all a big fuck of disappointed
you are the fooliest baboom!
Closed lad accountsMortarSand TimerSand TimerSand TimerTattooVcamera
You are dead MUMU!!!!
TheDane
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Captain Pugwash wrote:

They have more than one?

Sand Timer T.W.A.T Santa Safari Lagos-Ouagadougou-Arbinda Safari Warri-Yaoundé

I AM A FOOL AND I AM SO DISAPPOINTED - Brother Okei AKA Goat Milk Lad
I do not wish my enemy what I have experienced and this humiliation you are putting me through - Rushforth (on behalf of Dharma & Dr Mike)
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

doc holliday wrote:
Dates from sometime in the 30s I would think.Not quite as fancy as those,but it does have an impressive sliding magnifier on it as I recall.

If you find it and want to know more go here: Slide Rule Museum

If you're in the US could be either a Keuffel & Esser or Sun-Hemmi. Though Pickett and Ricoh also made rules with pretty impressive lumps of magnifying glass as optional extras.

Normal 'cursors' were flat or slightly convex.

This Aristo 0972 similar to the one I posted above made a staggering amount last year:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mint-ARIST...-/121034368152

Fowan Nyne
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Old joke alert...

What does a constipated mathematician do?

Works it out with a slide rule Shocked

"Note I am very weak by straight"
"Did you want to cheat me or play on my intelligent?"
"All necessary preparation for the movement of the stool are in the pipe line" - Stan "the man" Agbley

Click here to see a proper scam

Karl_Ranseier
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh, its jokes time Very Happy

A physicist, a biologist and a mathematician are sitting in a street cafe. Suddenly the physicist jumps up: "Wow, I just saw a paradox! In that House over there, just a minute ago, two people entered the house and now three left it."
The biologist said: "For a physicist this may be a paradox, but for me its just common reproduction."
The mathematician said: "Two went in and three went out. So if one will enter the house it would be empty. qed!"

rowIand 0bimdike: YOU MUST BE CRAZY AND MAD. GO TO HELL SON OF A BITCH LIKE YOU. DON'T EVER WRITE ME AGAIN. YOU THINK YOU CAN JOKE WITH ME. EVEN I DID NOT GO TO THE HOTEL. I JUST WROTE TO YOU THAT I WENT BUT I DIDN'T. I AM ON MY HOME. SO GO AND PICH UP YOUR ROUTHLESS MOTHER AT THE AIRPORT.
So you where not really at the hotel? Easter Egg 2013
Nailgunner
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

They still have their place - I have a rotary one for working out thread diameters and tapping drill sizes (sadly it doesn't do roll taps) and another one for antenna gain vs. aperture/frequency/efficiency. It also calculates wind loading for diameter vs windspeed/configuration. These were produced in their thousands in the 80s as promotional goodies but they are still incredibly useful. They're only made of cardboard so they are also very light and can be carried inside a notebook.

Cap'n - Have you got one of these? it's a flight comuter which does dozens of different things to do with windspeed, heading/bearing, endurance, mach numbers, etc etc. It's a pretty amazing thing. I have one but I still haven't got to grips with all it can do.

windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^ Nooooooooooooooooo! Don't get me started on circular slide rules. Laughing

I play the Silent Hunter games, (a nerdy sub sim game) and part of the 'fun' is working out angles, distance, time-distance and speed calculations. One of those would help. Flight computers can still be picked up for around £45.00-£50.00 but are a bit too extravagant as a gaming aid. Early all aluminium one's fetch a bit.

I'm trying to concentrate on the later all plastic types. I have a few early boxwood/celluloid types that came with multi-item sales, but they'll probably get sold sometime soon.

Have a look at this site: stefanv.com He's an interesting guy who has written a guide on using aviation rules. You'll find them useful.

Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I like your passion for keeping old things alive. Here is the current (working) telephone on my desk.

Associate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just stick with "regular" hobbies, like coin collecting.

"HOW DOES IT SOUND TO YOU THAT ANOTHER PERSON IS DEALING WITH YOU AND ASK YOU TO CONTACT ANOTHER PERSON AND NOW YOU SAID THAT YOU WANT TO DEAL WITH THE OTHER PERSON WITHOUT THE KNOWING OF THE PERSON THAT ASK YOU TO CONTACT THE OTHER PERSON"

I apologize again that I will lick the dust from your sandals - Shorty

Sand Timer x4: Shorty
Safari x 16:
US lad w/Capone: ( Golden Pith ) Black Ribbon
- ATL>DC>ATL>Vegas>Seattle>ATL>San Diego>LA>ATL>Seattle>ATL>WY>ATL>Aspen>ATL (21K+ miles, $11K+ expenses)
Shorty w/bohigal:
- Lagos>Abidjan
Random lads:
- Douala>Korup; Lagos>Cotonou>Parakou; Cotonou>Niger border; Cotonou>Pendjari>jail in Tanguietta; Asaba>Abuja; Accra>Tamale
Purple Flower Goat Jack Boot Whip
lakeside77
A chaff in the USA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Whenever I fill in "information" for lads I list my occupation as "sliderule calibrater." I have my old sliderule to thank for motivating me to learn logarithms.

But speaking of collectibles, I saw this news just yesterday and I have two of them!

Closed lad accounts x26 Easter Egg 2012 United KingdomNigeria x3 Thailand x2 Guinea BissauBeninGermanyNetherlands
Sand Timer Father Frank

I must let you know that am sick and tired of all this whole bull sheet do you know my ass is on the line - Jonh Raymund

i want to say i am very sorry for the Mother that gave Barth to you -- Jim Ovie

. . . it is disrespectful,malicious, an ILEDAN EYE,to our corporation and embarrassing to my secretary as he was messed up by your action. I thought I was assisting a true American gentleman without knowing that I am trying to help one of the most chaffs in the USA. --Dr. Leo Stan Ekeh

. . . I hate you with all my Live, you may not understand the Laval of hatred I have in you -- Dr. Lambert
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ Great phone. Dial phones need some rewiring to work in the UK since our system went digital.

^ I had one of the original Sony Walkman cassette players. The blue brushed aluminium one with orange mute button. My then, boss's wife was Japanese and was involved in the launch over in Japan, and brought me one back about a year and a half before they could be bought here. Wish I'd looked after it better.

I like collecting things that can still be used and don't rely on a power source (other than me). Most of my woodworking hand-tools are antique or I restored them back to working order.

Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^ When I bought it I had no idea if it would still be compatible in our digital world. I wired an RJ11 to the phone, plugged and prayed. To my amazement, it worked. The thing weighs about 8 pounds and doubles as a weapon, just in case a bear sneaks into my office.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Captain Pugwash wrote:
I like collecting things that can still be used

Well, at least it is useful, unlike my collection of 1,500+ Heroclix miniatures. Laughing

I do not wish my enemy what I have experienced and this humiliation you are putting me through - Rushforth (on behalf of Dharma & Dr Mike)
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^It was Timpo back in my day. Razz

TheDane
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^ Oh, those - I used to play with those when I was a kid in the 70's. Good times. No stats on the base, though. Laughing

This is what I'm talking about:

Ufortunately, my collector cromosome kicked in, and after 5 years, 1,500+ bought miniatures (closer to 2,000, actually), lots of spent money, and a lot less room, I gave up. Because it never ends... those game manufacturers know what they're doing, and keep sending out new booster packs. Mad

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic