SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

HMV UK PLC gift vouchers

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
spot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Millions of pounds of HMV gift cards and vouchers have been declared worthless by the collapsed music and movies retailer HMV.

I have a £10 gift card: If I walked into a HMV store picked up a £9.99 CD, took it to a checkout, put the gift card on the counter, said "keep the change" then walked out with the CD doyerthink I could be prosecuted for shoplifting ?

windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Who's going to bring charges?

My advice. Take the CD down to Blockbusters and exchange it for a £15.99 DVD.

If it's LADS you want. GoTo: http://www.yopmail.com/
and sign in with either ladmail or kentbrockman
Esox lucius
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My advice would be to get down there today and use it in part payment or whatever.

If they are still open and taking sales they have to honour it, and as CP says 'who's going to bring charges?

Somebody paid £10 cash for your gift card that went into HMV's coffers at the time.
If they can't keep afloat, tough, that isn't your concern Wink

"..May your unborn kids don't grow and may you be burnt to ashes asap ! " CCS
"..Sir we have given you more than 5 different accounts yet you still complaining " SCB
" YOU LOW LIFE SATANIC AGENT, FORWARD THESE MESSAGES TO YOUR MOTHER AND FATHER, THEY WILL DEFINITELY ENJOY READING THEM." RG
spot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Captain Pugwash wrote:

My advice. Take the CD down to Blockbusters and exchange it for a £15.99 DVD.

Breaking news wrote:
DVD and video game rental chain Blockbuster UK has collapsed into administration, putting more than 4,000 jobs at risk.

........................................... L I N K

windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We live in interesting times.

HMV and Blockbusters put a lot of independents out of business when they came along. Now the internet is doing the same for them.

I wonder if anyone will be crying for Amazon and iTunes, when it's possible to teleport goods direct from factory, to your home, or music into your brain?

If it's LADS you want. GoTo: http://www.yopmail.com/
and sign in with either ladmail or kentbrockman
Scentless Apprentice
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

spot wrote:
If I walked into a HMV store picked up a £9.99 CD, took it to a checkout, put the gift card on the counter, said "keep the change" then walked out with the CD doyerthink I could be prosecuted for shoplifting ?

According to Martin Lewis' site Money saving expert, Yes, you could be prosecuted.

Q. Is it against the law to just walk out with goods to the value of my gift vouchers?
A. We're surprised how many have asked us this, but yes, it is theft, a criminal offence and you can be arrested.

Police called to Oxford HMV gift card row

Winner: Easter Egg 2012 2012
Winner: Easter Egg 2013 2013
Inspector Gadget
Angel of unrealistic meetings

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Jessops as well, they are falling fast this month. Only place I could get a decent clone battery for my camera.

Pith Helmet Halil, Cotonou to Accra
Pith Helmet + Sand Timer Precious 10/08/11
Cellphone x8 Nigeria Spain Mortar x34 Closed lad accounts x 73 Goat
grown up man like him, still doing all this shit games - Stanley, (he doesn't like Parcel Direct)
You again do the strange reflections stuffed with drugs? - Natalia
Sand Timer x3 Hector 24/1/13 Sand Timer Moses 15th Oct 2011
Pretty Rose Sand Timer x 2Mick Ole 11th Sept 2014-16 Sand Timer Asare Akuffo start 4th Aug 2014
Fowan Nyne
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We are seeing a return of the independents.
Small retailers that have grasped the internet in order to hit their limited market are doing reasonably well.

They also need a base to work from which are usually on small industrial estates.
If the councils and landlords use their loaf and entice businesses back,we could see our high streets back to normal instead of towns full of charity shops, cash for clothes shops and zombies. Evil or Very Mad

"Note I am very weak by straight"
"Did you want to cheat me or play on my intelligent?"
"All necessary preparation for the movement of the stool are in the pipe line" - Stan "the man" Agbley

Click here to see a proper scam

lord goldblade
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I thought this too, coz surely HMV or any other company not honoring gift cards etc are also stealing?

my 2p

"GO DRINK POISEN AND SLEEP THEN DIE FUCK WITH YOUR MONEY"

"i should have known that you are full of lies ,at first you told me you have a flying jet but i never knew that you were nothing but building upstairs on the sky"

"I like to sincerely thank you for all your disappointment,stress ,lies and frustrations,now I should have not gotten myself involved in the first place thanks to you all"

Easter 2015Closed lad accounts x13 Nigeria x2 United Kingdom x2 Malaysia United States China Easter Egg 2011 Ivory Coast Burkina Faso

Dead Phish - 350
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ A gift voucher is a debt owed by the company. But once they're in administration, they don't have to honour any debts.
The whole point of administration is to put the company's creditors on hold so that a re-organisation can take place and hopefully save the business. If that doesn't work out, the next step is receivership.

God will see you true for all this you have done to me you bastard. - Collins Kalu
MAY THE HAND THAT TYPE ON KEYBORD BECOME STRICKEN AND TRANSMIT VIRUS TO YOU ENTIRE BODY. - Dr Linda Akeem
oh what a mess its time cabbage punks like u will be expose for trully what they are. - David Cole
lord goldblade
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ Ah i see, makes sense now, cheers.

"GO DRINK POISEN AND SLEEP THEN DIE FUCK WITH YOUR MONEY"

"i should have known that you are full of lies ,at first you told me you have a flying jet but i never knew that you were nothing but building upstairs on the sky"

"I like to sincerely thank you for all your disappointment,stress ,lies and frustrations,now I should have not gotten myself involved in the first place thanks to you all"

Easter 2015Closed lad accounts x13 Nigeria x2 United Kingdom x2 Malaysia United States China Easter Egg 2011 Ivory Coast Burkina Faso

Dead Phish - 350
Nailgunner
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

And the next (Likely) step after that is insolvency and liquidation. Since the company will go insolvent mainly as a result of an inability to meet its debts as they fall due, the gift vouchers (effectively a credit note of sorts) will of course be worthless. You could in theory stand in line with the other creditors but since they will be owed millions and you will be owed ten quid, you'd be wasting your time.

Blockbuster as well, what will they do with all the empty shops? Also, beware of lad formats claiming to be from abandoned town centres and deserted shopping arcardes. It's coming, I tell you.

lakeside77
A chaff in the USA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Your only hope would be for a competitor to buy them out and agree to honor the gift cards. This is what usually happens in the airline industry with unused tickets issued by a company that goes belly up. But this is very unlikely in this case since the entire movie/DVD rental industry is on life support.

Closed lad accounts x26 Easter Egg 2012 United KingdomNigeria x3 Thailand x2 Guinea BissauBeninGermanyNetherlands
Sand Timer Father Frank

I must let you know that am sick and tired of all this whole bull sheet do you know my ass is on the line - Jonh Raymund

i want to say i am very sorry for the Mother that gave Barth to you -- Jim Ovie

. . . it is disrespectful,malicious, an ILEDAN EYE,to our corporation and embarrassing to my secretary as he was messed up by your action. I thought I was assisting a true American gentleman without knowing that I am trying to help one of the most chaffs in the USA. --Dr. Leo Stan Ekeh

. . . I hate you with all my Live, you may not understand the Laval of hatred I have in you -- Dr. Lambert
JMRazor
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

All of the above makes one wonder why we go to such pains to fund the gift card industry. The U.S. had to pass some laws fairly recently which forbade some of the more egregious acts by companies, such as putting quick expiration dates or even charging the cardholder an "inactivity" fee. For the latter, in exchange for your interest free loan to the company, it would charge YOU, the creditor, a fee. The lawyer who thought that one up was brilliant!

Anyway, for some reason we find cash distasteful even though, at worst, it only loses relative value as measured against inflation. But find a $5 bill from 1933 and you can still get $5 worth of goods (unless and until the U.S. government goes broke -- but I see Slightly reaching for his truncheon...). I am guilty myself of this practice and I don't really see why getting a gift card indicates any greater degree of thought or consideration than cold, hard cash.

____________________________ pony Pretty Prancing Pink Pony Master pony _____________________________

Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo
Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x 43
Mortar x 16
Sand Timer x 3
Nailgunner
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^ it stops you spending it on food or bills, which forces you to do something enjoyable with it; even if you are hungry and the electricity's off.

Put like that, not so great. I'd rather have a tipped load of firewood or a bag of coal. Or a ham. Or something.

oscarpiles
#1 Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am guilty of buying Gift Cards as it is so much easier than thinking of something to buy. Plus we have been 'trained' to believe that a gift of cash is impersonal.

For the real darlings in my life I give them cards that are for the Grocery store. Although that may seem odd, I have experienced first hand what it is like to blow all of my money on Booze and other fun stuff and not have enough money to eat properly. Not that my Angels would do such a thing!

Looking through my recent presents, I have a card for the Liquor store, Sears, Home Depot, Starbucks and an Irish Pub. Not a bad haul in my books....

By the way I do accept cash as well.

I do not want to be associated with occult and blood sucking organization,i was told that you are not a man of God but an occult leader with 666 sign. - Elvis
Until thy kingdom hell of stupidity thy come!!! - Sarah
I AM GOING CRAZYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Bobby/Jenny/Jugs/moneyp**
ufffffffffffffffffffffffff - Outlander
F*ck you ass all – Jerry Asshat
i am a good lad i have told u that many times - Kevin the Idiot
You need home training lol - Brian LaLadyBits

Jack Boot Mortar Closed lad accounts Tattoo Sand Timer Vcamera Safari Easter 2015 Easter Egg 2013 Whip Whip
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

oscarpiles wrote:
I... ... accept cash

That is what I tell anyone that asks me what I want for my birthday, Christmas et al. I have everything I need in life, and more. I end up giving any money received to the local food shelf and shelter. I'm no saint, but it's ridiculous how people blow money on useless stuff.

With all that said, my favorite gift this Christmas was an amaryllis bulb. It's currently starting to bloom in a South facing window.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Good news, Spot!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21118711

Get in there quick, before they change their minds and stop taking them again!!

God will see you true for all this you have done to me you bastard. - Collins Kalu
MAY THE HAND THAT TYPE ON KEYBORD BECOME STRICKEN AND TRANSMIT VIRUS TO YOU ENTIRE BODY. - Dr Linda Akeem
oh what a mess its time cabbage punks like u will be expose for trully what they are. - David Cole
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic