SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Oh noes, it's the BBB! (with newyork.bbb.org email)

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
whats_all_that_then
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So I got a message from the BBB apparently... even though I'm kind of a grunt, and this was sent to I as well as other grunts, and not the management... and it was in my spam... but the email address looks pretty legit - Better Business Bureau [J@mie_Le@[email protected]] (still noobing it up, not sure if it needed to be leeted here or not, so the @s are of course a's).

Since it was sent to my work email, I can't check the header or anything that I know of. There's an attachment that I won't be opening.

Did they get a hold of a compromised account, or do they just have their email address masked?
TheProbie
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Was it a different e-mail address in the reply-to? If that's the case, that e-mail address have probably been spoofed.

If no, then it could be a compromised account. In this case, it's probably better not to leet, so if someone receives the scam and searches, they'll see it on Eater. Would it be possible for you to post the mail?

best quote: I HATE MYSELF MORE EACH DAY TO REALISE THAT I FALL A VICTIM.
Closed lad accounts x2

United KingdomUnited StatesBurkina FasoGhanaCanadaSpainNigeriaGermanyIreland-x14
Closed lad accounts x5 - Charity lads
Closed lad accounts x6 x2
Easter Egg 2012
"Why will i be afraid? Even the government knows its was a result of what they did to us back then, although is not encouraging but it can't stop" - Lad answering if he's afraid of being punished
Ima Baeder
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've received these. They're not real.

See this info from the BBB: http://youngstown.bbb.org/article/ALERT-Phishing-Scam-Looks-Like-BBB-EmailBut-Its-Not-37696

Quote:
The BBB name and logo are being fraudulently used by criminals in an on-going phishing scam. The emails look very much like notice of a complaint from BBB, but contain links to malware that can infect your computer, steal passwords, etc. BBB is working with law enforcement, as well as with a private deactivation firm (at our own expense), to shut down as many criminal websites as possible. To date, we have shut down well over 100 sites.

If you get an email that looks like it is a BBB complaint, here is what you should do:

1. Do NOT click on any links or attachments.

2. Read the email carefully for signs that it may be fake (for example, misspellings, grammar, generic greetings such as “Dear member” instead of a name, etc.).

3. Be wary of any urgent instructions to take specified action such as “Click on the link or your account will be closed.”

4. Hover your mouse over links without clicking to see if the address is truly from bbb.org. The URL in the text should match the URL that your mouse detects. If the two do not match, it is most likely a scam.

5. Send a copy of the email to [email protected] (Note: This address is only for scams that use the BBB name or logo)

6. Delete the email from your computer completely (be sure to empty your “trash can” or “recycling bin,” as well).

7. Run anti-virus software updates frequently and do a full system scan.

8. Keep a close eye on your bank statements for any unexpected or unexplained transactions.

Star Mugu Reseller Mortar Closed lad accounts x 100 Sand Timer 2 Years Pretty Rose Mc Fry Mc Fry Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Flying Monkey Easter Egg 2011
whats_all_that_then
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah, no question it's a fake. It was sent to my work Outlook, and went into my Spam. I can't view the actual details of it without moving it to my inbox (like who actually sent it), and I'm not sure if that would make my machine suddenly catch malaria and light on fire or something. Just curious if reporting this would actually help anything, or do nothing at all.

Would simply moving it to my inbox from spam cause some sort of issue? There are attachments on the email.

Here's the body -

Case #0983M98RFFThe Better Business Bureau has received the above-referenced complaint from one of your customers regarding their dealings with you. The details of the consumer's concern are included on the reverse. Please review this matter and advise us of your position. As a neutral third party, the Better Business Bureau can help to resolve the matter. Often complaints are a result of misunderstandings a company wants to know about and correct. In the interest of time and good customer relations, please provide the BBB with written verification of your position in this matter by December 12, 2012. Your prompt response will allow BBB to be of service to you and your customer in reaching a mutually agreeable resolution. Please inform us if you have contacted your customer directly and already resolved this matter.The Better Business Bureau develops and maintains Reliability Reports on companies across the United States and Canada . This information is available to the public and is frequently used by potential customers. Your cooperation in responding to this complaint becomes a permanent part of your file with the Better Business Bureau. Failure to promptly give attention to this matter may be reflected in the report we give to consumers about your company.We encourage you to print this complaint (attached file), answer the questions and respond to us.We look forward to your prompt attention to this matter.Sincerely, BBB Serving Metropolitan New York, Long Island and the Mid-Hudson Region
Ima Baeder
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would forward it to the BBB directly from your spam folder (at [email protected]) and then do nothing else with it. Most likely, it's the same as the ones they're already aware of.

Star Mugu Reseller Mortar Closed lad accounts x 100 Sand Timer 2 Years Pretty Rose Mc Fry Mc Fry Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Flying Monkey Easter Egg 2011
whats_all_that_then
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Done and done!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic