SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Rationing in World War II in the UK

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Fo'andles
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

See what the rations were.
Want to lose weight then try this diet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/topics/rationing_in_ww2#p00gffy3

At the bottom of page is christmas 1940.

Closed lad accounts x40

FUK OOOOOOOOF - Mrs Cooker James
you are a fo0l forever because you are not worthy to be a human being but an Animal.
.something that cannot take 10minutes is taking you 2months- barrister lawrence
Esox lucius
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^
Ironically as the War progressed and turned in favour of the Allies the rationing in Great Britain got worse despite the Atlantic supply convoys getting through easier from Canada and the USA etc.

A lot of the surplus food supplies then went straight to the newly liberated countries in Europe (as well as the Berlin air lift) after the war and meat rationing in the UK went on until the early 1950's.

"..May your unborn kids don't grow and may you be burnt to ashes asap ! " CCS
"..Sir we have given you more than 5 different accounts yet you still complaining " SCB
" YOU LOW LIFE SATANIC AGENT, FORWARD THESE MESSAGES TO YOUR MOTHER AND FATHER, THEY WILL DEFINITELY ENJOY READING THEM." RG
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Apparently, people were healthier on the minimalist wartime diet than they are now.

I read the other day that worldwide, more people now die of obesity than hunger, which strikes me as &*^%ed up.

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
Justcold
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I remember looking through my Grandparent's old rationing stamps...no ice cream. No soda.

None for sitting on their asses or sitting in front of a tv or laptop either... Embarassed

Could we do it? I would like to think so...

Vcamera Sand Timer Easter 2015 Whip Jack Boot Goat Goat Flying Monkey Purple Flower
06/24/2015 Good journey Paranoid.
02/20/2017 You are missed Capone.
10/21/2018 Thank you for the laughs Toomuchfun.
03/21/2019 Keep drinking Grape Nehi, JC. I will, Irish. You win this time.
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Justcold wrote:

Could we do it? I would like to think so...

I could and I do.

Problem is, most people today don't even know what a vegetable is unless it's covered in batter and deep fried. Look around though and there's loads of food out there that's healthy and low in calories.

And exercise? Studies show that just 20 minutes of cardio a day will help to get you a lot fitter.

God will see you true for all this you have done to me you bastard. - Collins Kalu
MAY THE HAND THAT TYPE ON KEYBORD BECOME STRICKEN AND TRANSMIT VIRUS TO YOU ENTIRE BODY. - Dr Linda Akeem
oh what a mess its time cabbage punks like u will be expose for trully what they are. - David Cole
irishemigrant
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ What the Squirrel said

It doesn't take much to be fit and healthy, I'm milking 1400 cows twice a day, starting at 4am, finishing at 5.00pm, and mowing lawns in the time between milking

Then I waste time logging into here, and lose several hours chasing lads

http://www.scamwarners.com/ For when you want to remember why we bait

Goodbye Mike (Paranoid) Friend, confidant, partner. Till we meet again.
Personal Message From The Axeman
Easter Egg 2012 pony pony <-- Because you have earned them. Wink Goat Goat Golden Goat Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts a few x 13
chickenlegs
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's frightening how much food we waste in the West.

"Seriously did not plan to stay overnight.. I left my car parked in a wrong place in Benin and hope it doesnt get stolen before I get back..."

Closed lad accounts x 4
Pith Helmet Benin - Lagos 230km (WIMP)
Pith Helmet Johannesburg - Durban 1200km (WIMP)
Pith Helmet Cotonou - Lagos 240km (WIMP)
lakeside77
A chaff in the USA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Esox lucius wrote:
meat rationing in the UK went on until the early 1950's.

That reminds me of a very enjoyable and funny movie, A Private Function, with Michael Palin and Maggie Smith. Made in 1984, it got limited release in the US. It was a story of the absurdity of meat rationing in an English town right after WWII.

Rationing in the US was not as severe as it was in the UK during the war, mainly because the US was mostly self-sufficient in food. Apparel, rubber, gasoline, meat, some dairy products, and sugar were all rationed. Rationing ended shortly after the war ended; it was lifted for some items before the war was over.

Closed lad accounts x26 Easter Egg 2012 United KingdomNigeria x3 Thailand x2 Guinea BissauBeninGermanyNetherlands
Sand Timer Father Frank

I must let you know that am sick and tired of all this whole bull sheet do you know my ass is on the line - Jonh Raymund

i want to say i am very sorry for the Mother that gave Barth to you -- Jim Ovie

. . . it is disrespectful,malicious, an ILEDAN EYE,to our corporation and embarrassing to my secretary as he was messed up by your action. I thought I was assisting a true American gentleman without knowing that I am trying to help one of the most chaffs in the USA. --Dr. Leo Stan Ekeh

. . . I hate you with all my Live, you may not understand the Laval of hatred I have in you -- Dr. Lambert
Cougar
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, we have no bananas...

It's a period that's always fascinated me, particularly how the people at home managed to survive. No one can deny it was a terrible time for all concerned, but the ingenuity demonstrated never ceases to amaze.

#1 Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The movie Whisky Galore is an interesting (okay funny) film from the late forties that explores wartime shortages but with a twist. It is supposedly based upon a true story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-rkvIEERSA

I do not want to be associated with occult and blood sucking organization,i was told that you are not a man of God but an occult leader with 666 sign. - Elvis
Until thy kingdom hell of stupidity thy come!!! - Sarah
I AM GOING CRAZYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Bobby/Jenny/Jugs/moneyp**
ufffffffffffffffffffffffff - Outlander
F*ck you ass all – Jerry Asshat
i am a good lad i have told u that many times - Kevin the Idiot
You need home training lol - Brian LaLadyBits

Jack Boot Mortar Closed lad accounts Tattoo Sand Timer Vcamera Safari Easter 2015 Easter Egg 2013 Whip Whip
Fo'andles
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Its based on the wreck of the SS Politician, here is the link,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Politician

Closed lad accounts x40

you are a fo0l forever because you are not worthy to be a human being but an Animal.
Nanny Ogg
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm never sure how you could statistically prove the population was healthier, vast numbers were moved overseas or displaced in other ways.
I suppose if you didn't die due to bullets, bombs, torpedos, cold, infections and restricted diet then the survivors must have been healthier than those that perished.

If you were rich enough food was available, eating out in restaurants and hotels was "off ration" although eventually meals were restricted to 3 courses and not more than 5 shillings in cost.
Fish wasn't rationed nor were fruit and veg but they were in short supply. People were encouraged to "dig for victory" so flowerbeds and lawns were turned into vegetable plots, some golf courses were turned into allotments.

Many families found their incomes fell dramatically when the father was called up, of course women were encouraged to work but often at less wage than a man would have earned. Less money meant less off ration food.
Fo'andles
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I know my mother who was in the WRAF at the time stated that they were better of when they were put onto american rations.

Closed lad accounts x40

Nanny Ogg
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My mum was pre school when the war started.
She used to say she was always hungry. In spite of having a young family my grandfather was called up so she hardly saw her dad, though he wrote some wonderful letter to his children, making up stories and poems for them.
For a while the family slept in the space under the stair, a rather damp and cold space.
My mum didnt know she was allergic to bananas until after the war.
She also had no idea about street lights and was amazed when the blackout was lifted. She described being taken for a walk and looking out over the Forth watching lights twinkling over in Fife. "I thought it was fairies " she said
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic