SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Facebook scam from the phillipines

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
bjenkin1
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have a parapalegic relative who spends his life online. He is "dating" a woman who he met online and has never seen other than facebook photos and video chat. I'm sure it is a scam but no one will ever convince him of this. She has gone so far as to friend all of his family members on facebook and even change her relationship status to say she is in a relationship with him. He has sent her hundreds of dollars over the past year and is saving up enough money to bring her to the US so that they can get married. It all seems very legitimate because she is active on facebook and has pictures of her friends and family but I am highly skeptical. Anyone else heard of anything like this?
Stepan Fetchit
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The possibilities range from overeager girl who wants to leave the Philippines, any way she can....to an outright scam.

He should cut off the money. Period. If she has the ability to be online and use a cam, she's not broke, or she is online for a reason. Money.

Depending on which country he is in, it's pretty unlikely she will be able to jump on a plane and come meet him. The visa provisions vary, but most developed countries don't let people from poorer countries enter that easily.

The fact he sees a normal looking facebook page for her, with friends and family as buddies, is a minor plus, but we still have the fact that many girls in poorer asian countries will do anything to get to a more prosperous country.

He should also be careful in Video chat. There is a growing problem with blackmail activity, after engaging in sexual play on cam.

Is he able to go meet this girl? Is the age gap reasonable? He's going to have to do his homework, but his wallet needs to be closed, first.

I've posed as a very elderly man, somewhat feeble, and chatted with many filipinas, and many have claimed to love me, and would come to the US to take care of me. It's easy to get sucked into this, but, the reality is....it's not likely they are going to do the above strictly out of love and room and board, and/or will stick around very long if it gets to the point they arrive here.

If he is a US citizen there is also the requirement that he meet the lady in person, before she could get a fiance visa. There is some exception for religious or medical reasons the groom can't travel, but I have not heard of anyone getting that exemption.

Gettting to a more developed country is a big prize for many Asians in poorer countries. The going rate to be smuggled into the US, or for a fake marriage, is $20-30000, US. Why not sweet talk some man into paying the bill?

<A href="http://www.dragonladies.org/bbs">Dragonladies.org</a>
bjenkin1
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi, thanks for the reply. He is not able to meet this girl. He lives in the U.S. and she lives in Tobaco City. He has sent her money to pay for her internet bill and even to buy her a new laptop and such. Based on what I have seen on the cost of living there she's made enough money off him to last her a good while. Based on her facebook pictures she is far from poor. I don't know what "poor" looks like in the phillipines but to me it looks like she has a pretty lavish lifestyle. She has promised him the same things that you mentioned though...she wants to come over and take care of him...yada yada...She has asked if his mother could fly over to meet her at the airport so that they can fly back together...this concerns me as well. They are overly trusting ppl and if this lady does get to the US she could do a lot of damage to the family if she isn't sincere.
Stepan Fetchit
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry, don't check here very often.

The actual 'poor' girls in the Philippines don't spend much time online, and any photos will not show them in real lavish surroundings.

He may be in contact with a ladyboy (gay) who is using stolen pics and some video feed of a pretty girl over the cam.

A monthly income for an average filipina, non-professional type, may be $100 to 200 US a month....IF THEY CAN FIND A JOB. They can live on that.

He needs to cut the money off.

You also have a lot of gray areas with Filipinas, and 'money'. Sometimes it's not an outright scam, but even in a real relationship with a person from a poorer asian country, you have to understand the dynamics of money, differing cultures and economies, and be in control of money issues.
(learning to say NO) I don't think this is the situation, but often a man will get involved with a filipina online, and eventually in person, and the family of the girl will pressure her to hit him up for money.

Western guys should never forget, our citizenship in what they consider a more affluent country, is a major part of what even real ladies from poorer asian countries are interested in.

<A href="http://www.dragonladies.org/bbs">Dragonladies.org</a>
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic