SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Entry level scammer snag

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Rockford
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This no doubt ranks low on baiting the scammers, but thought I'd toss it out there anyway. Was selling something on Craig's List and have used it enough to spot the scammers. I must have been bored, but I replied to the person wanting to buy my "item" did some research and found out they actually lived in my state. I went through the dance and when it came time to give my name and address where I wanted the counterfeit check sent I had him send it to the deputy chief at the local police station who was in charge of the fraud division. After a couple of days the scammer e-mails me wanting to know if I had wired the overpayment to a city at the opposite end of the state. I said that while I was at work the cops came to my house searched it and wanted to arrest me and were asking about "you". He got pissed and said I was trying to steal his money and that he contacted the FBI about me and even gave me the general number to a terrorist task force or something at the FBI. I replied that I wasn't trying to steal his money, but that I talked to an attorney who got me immunity from prosecution and that if he could talk to the cops who interviewed me. Then I sent him the name and phone number of the deputy chief to whom he has sent the check. Haven't heard back, but I do hope a cop knew better than to cash a big check that just showed up at their office unsolicited, especially a cop who works for the fraud division. For the record, I never said I was a cop or even claimed to be the person he sent the check to. His e-mail simply asked what name I wanted on the check and an address to mail it to.

Low level stuff, but I had a good time...
next victim
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome to the board and it is good to see that you knew of this scam beforehand. However, sending checks to what is known as an "ITP" (innocent third party) is not something we do here. Same with phone numbers. Best to give a completely false address or if you were to become premium there is a drop box for such things.

Sand Timer Hana, Flip It, G spot, Rosy, Cynthia
Cellphone - web store
Just read the posting on Eater. You are one sick motherf****r! Smile-Alan
"The skull with bunny ears was a good enough warning" - Nailgunner
mentors- http://forum.419eater.com/forum/cherrie_mentor_program.php
This Derick moral monster! From http:/ /scamnewss.wordpress.com/2011/10/14/derrick-ratt-scammer-beware/ Vlad blog
http://tinyurl.com/btf7872 - Toolbox
Rockford
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

next victim wrote:
Welcome to the board and it is good to see that you knew of this scam beforehand. However, sending checks to what is known as an "ITP" (innocent third party) is not something we do here. Same with phone numbers. Best to give a completely false address or if you were to become premium there is a drop box for such things.

I considered that possibility, but in the end I concluded that since it is the job of the police to investigate such crimes it wasn't really an innocent third party I was involving. I did have concerns that the cop in question might say, "Great! I got a check for $XXXX.XX, I think I'll cash it!" But in the end, I further concluded that he wouldn't cash it because he dealt with that kind of nonsense every day and would know better.
Scambuster1212
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I like this ... The cop would likely get a charge at how apparently stupid the criminal is to send to him and if there were a video involved, it would be on the stupid criminals' show!
rattlesnake
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^The police will not be able to do anything with a bad/fake check unless someone attempts to cash it. And then it will be the person (or victim) who cashed the check that will face charges, not the person who wrote it.

If you'd like to collect fake checks then I strong recommend getting a premium membership (it's worth it!) and you'll have access to a drop box where you can safely receive them.

'i hate the fact that i come online everyday to send you emails and all i get is disappointment every time' - Silk
'keep your money ok. we dont need it. have a bless day' - Barrister Douglas Brown
'YOU ARE A BASTARD AND A FOOL' - Dr. Ugo Peters
'I WANT TO LET YOU KNOW THAT THE MAN IN THE WESTERN UNION IS A CRIMINAL AND A LOW LIFE CHEAT' - Dr. Ugo Peters
'tell your stupid prostitute step dauther never to play with the tail of a tigger' - Capt. Anita George (US Army)
michibait
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Rockford wrote:

I considered that possibility, but in the end I concluded that since it is the job of the police to investigate such crimes it wasn't really an innocent third party I was involving....

I've read the rules, but I have to agree with Rockford.
If a fraud check is sent to the police fraud division, it's well with-in their job description how to handle it. If a scammer / criminal is dumb enough to look for a detective at the police station, he'll end up getting what he deserves.
Just my two cents worth.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic