SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Craigslist Scam

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
PVTScamScammer
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This is my first post and if I can stay out of trouble, it won't be my last.  I know a lot of people who get "Requests to be Scammed" emails all the time. Having not received one, I was never really impressed and often wondered what they were doing wrong to get that junk in the first place. When asked, I would just tell them to ignore it, mark it as SPAM and delete it. However, after reading through this forum, I might take a different approach from now on. I came here after receiving my first ever scam attempt (in 27 years) that was pointed directly at me. I know this isn't the BIG 419 and these guys aren't from Nigeria, but what the heck. 1650 bucks might as well be 20,000 bucks when you're out scavenging for work on CraigsList.

So, on 9/23 I posted an ad on Craig's List offering to do freelance computer work. On 9/26 I Received the following request for an estimate to work on 7 laptop computers.

Quote:
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 9:53 AM
To: Jesse Simmons
Subject: Freelance Help Available! (Short-Term Hardware or Software Support) (Tri-City Area)
Hello,
How are you doing today ? I read about that you can repair computers, i will like to know how much it will cost you to fix my laptop computers i have about 7 Pentium IV HP laptops. Below are the things needed to be done one on each laptops.

1 Format Hard Drive
2 Install Win Xp with Service Pack 3
3 AVG Virus Software (Free Lifetime Updates)
4 Micro media Flash player
5 Microsoft Office Package
6 Laptop Cleaning of the keyboard, screen and other case.
7 Diagnostics of the entire system after to check hard, cdsrom, floppy, etc.

Please NOTE I have all the licence Software Get back to me with your total cost for the services of 7 Laptops.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

God help me for saying this, but I'm from the south. Some people down here lack the computer knowledge it takes to explain what they really want and how to really say what they need . . . For a moment I thought it might be legit. On that same day, I replied back with a $315.00 quote using my company information. Within a few hours I got another reply approving the cost. This email came from a different person, so I was little confused . . . for about 10 minutes or so.

Quote:
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 1:09 PM
Subject: Re: Freelance Help Available! (Short-Term Hardware or Software Support) (Tri-City Area)

The price is ok by me, And i have all the licenced softwares, i'll be sending them along with the computers. i have a reliable shipper who will be bringing the laptops to you and have them picked up as soon as you are done fixing them, I will pay you with a certified check. I await your urgent response so that i can make Moving arrangements of the laptops to your place and payment as soon as possible am going to need your full name,address and phone number so i can tell my secretary to prepare a check in your name and have it sent to you asap, as soon as you have the check cashed you will remove your own share and have the rest sent to the shipper so they can have the laptops delivered to you,am going to send you the shippers address as soon as you are ready, hope to hear from you soon.......213-373-7700 Thanks

The second email really blew it for the scammer and I knew for sure this whole thing was a fake. However, this is the first time this ever happened to me directly, so I decided to have some fun and threw caution to the wind. I gave her my business mailing address. This was before I found this site, so yes, I know I goofed! The third email came the same day from still another email account - blah blah blah - hoping to read from me soon.

Quote:
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 2:29 PM
Subject: =Freelance Help Available! (Short-Term Hardware or Software Support) (Tri-City Area)

thanks for the mail ...i will get back to you once the payment has been mailed to you .....hope to read from you soon thanks

After several days of hearing nothing, I thought it was over. But then on 10/1, I received and email with USPS tracking number.  I also got several more emails telling me to cash the check as soon as possible, take my portion, and send the balance to the shipper at the address provided.  I picked up the envelope at the post office and was really surprised to find a check for $1,950.00.  They want me to send $1,650.00 to some guy on the West Coast!  I got another email at 2 AM this morning, pretty much demanding to know what's going on with their check.

So now I'm at an impasse.  The ball is in my court.  I think to delay them, I will send an apologetic email stating that I worked off-site late last night and the banks were close before I could deposit the check and the banks won't open until 9 AM.  That will give me time to call the bank listed on the check to make absolutely sure it isn't real.  If it isn't real, I'll come up with another excuse such as I don't have the funds to cover the $1,650 withdraw.  I could always suggest having my shipper pick up the laptops . . .

Any other suggestions?
Seamless
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi PVTScamScammer and welcome to 419Eater

It sounds like he has your real life info, if so drop all contact with him.
Always 'Bait Safely'

Please forward the info about the 'shipper pickup agent' (mule) to a Mod.

"You are a destinated Idiot. a fibol element, a rebel against humanity.

You are a goat. And very stupid. I will deal with you very soon, just wait, I have all your contact address, and I will trace you very soon, for insulting me, all evidence of your insult to me has been filed.

Lawyer M4nu3l told me that you could be one of this terrorist in the usa. and I later find out on my research on you, that you are one of the bastards in wherever you are. not even in usa."

Closed lad accounts

Safari< S4NI S4LISU Ghana to Togo
Safari< St3lla J0nta Cote d'Ivoire to Ghana
Easter Egg Whip Penguin Mortar Purple Flower Purple Flower Killer Baiter
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic