SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

New member - Possible id theft or something else?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
asdf0987
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I initially got a call from carmax, from a car salesman saying he needed more info than what I submitted on their online form... which I never inquired about. I froze my credit and got an identity theft protection service subscription.

Next, I started getting calls from window companies/ contractors responding to my submission through servicemagic.com. Never have been on servicemagic.com!

Some time passes... now just the other day, I'm getting calls from insurance companies about my submission through Netquote.com about getting auto insurance. Didn't do that.

Is this identity theft? Or is this some scammer who is using tons of people's info (probably hacked) to have a computer program submit millions of submissions through these companies (netquote.com, etc., etc.) and get referral $. I'm thinking the last option because the scammer/thief doesn't appear to be opening accounts and stealing, just submitting my info. ?? any ideas? EXTREMELY annoying and worrisome!
piecrust
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello asdf0987 and welcome to the forum.

Companies buy information and there are others that sell information, I don't know what other people are going to pipe up and say, but this sounds very much more like a set of marketing campaigns than an actual scam. IE> a marketing company that makes money from bulk referrals is submitting your data. Very annoying, I agree.

Another possibility might be a practical joke by a friend or neighborhood kid. (Or ex-partner) Do you have any details how your details were submitted? Was it by telephone, email, postal letter? What was the phone number that the call came from? the email address?

I presume that your forms of ID are safe - Passport/Drivers Licence?

You would look good in Gold
Never use windows auto-fill again, use something much more secure like lastpass for free.

"I am a man of hing reputation." - Loan lad Billy Hord.
"don't even think of given me that crap that you are Deaf and dump or my line is cut off , i don't have a phone please don't.." - Loan lad Billy Hord. (Having been baited to hell)
asdf0987
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Someone or something (hacker's software) is actually filling out forms for various services. The calls I am getting are from local companies and when some of them hear that I did not submit the inquiry they are surprised (i assume because 99.99% inquiries are legitimate). I don't have anyone I know that would be doing this as a prank... 100% sure of that.

I'm really leaning to some kind of scam where data is hacked that includes name, address, email, etc., but not account #'s and ssn#'s... because no money or credit has actually been stolen (so far). And then the data is used by some program that automatically fills out forms on sites that pay referral $ back to the the scammer. All the while, the companies are not aware that no actual person filled out the form.
Morgain Le Fay
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Being a tad technically deficient in some areas, I am thinking would these be sites that a bot could fill in information? Some of the sites I visit require typing in the CAPTCHA information and a bot could not do that.

Maybe someone more technical advanced can answer that unless there is some kind of new hacker-type software that could do that. My other question would be why would this be occurring. It sounds like a new take on someone filling out magazine subscriptions and having pizzas delivered by pranksters.

Mortar x5
TV Star
.edu's 260 reported
Click here to support 419Eater.com
US Dropbox

"You people are all Junks" - Miss E. Kabx

"Maybe you are insane as your so called sat..." Barrister Insane

The website below is available for Eater folks to use.
Film & Production Needs
ScammedOut
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd love to know what this is all about too. It sounds like the submissions to the various companies have little of your information required since whoever/whatever is sending them doesn't know your info...but still extremely odd.
Do the people who phone address you by your name?

YOU GO SLEEP YOU NO GO WAKE UP AGAIN
SEE YOU ASS IN HELL fucking tax payer ..
REJOICE IN HELL - Jack L1n (Mr.)
Enough fooling around with yourself. Your parents and family are Fucking scammer!
You are a white baboon,that doesn't even take
shower.
-Miss Gbagbo, Christian.
I NEVER SEE ANIMAL LIKE YOU. Your papa be castrated so he no make more like you!
Easter Egg 2012 - Robert Miller, philanthropist Closed lad accounts
"I am okay but had a little fracture on our last operation." - Capt. Highliner
George Carl
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Morgain Le Fay wrote:
Some of the sites I visit require typing in the CAPTCHA information and a bot could not do that.

I think some types of CAPTCHA can be beaten.
Joker
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^ Yes it is possible to do and even somewhat efficiently these days:

http://code.google.com/p/captchacker/

As for the original post I am still trying to figure out what that could be. I know sometimes fraud artists, ID thieves, and launderers will set up services in the name of someone else in order to make that person a sort of fall guy. For the most part those services are abused for fraudulent purposes.... but this is still beyond me with the OP.

servicemagic.com?

netquote.com?

Where is the personal profit for the scammer in submitting stolen identity information to these companies? Where can they abuse this information to extort money?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic