SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Money transfer companies and scam prevention

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Shinsengumi
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey there guys! I'm new here! What do you think money transfers companies should do to prevent scams?
rattlesnake
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

While money transfer services such as Western Union and Money Gram often are seen in a poor light because they are the scammer's preferred method of collecting funds, in truth they post prominent warnings at their locations against sending money overseas or to people who you do not know.

There is very little they can do to prevent scams, however they do a great deal to warn people from sending money to scammers. Some will sadly ignore those warnings.

edit: Welcome to 419eater! Smile

'i hate the fact that i come online everyday to send you emails and all i get is disappointment every time' - Silk
'keep your money ok. we dont need it. have a bless day' - Barrister Douglas Brown
'YOU ARE A BASTARD AND A FOOL' - Dr. Ugo Peters
'I WANT TO LET YOU KNOW THAT THE MAN IN THE WESTERN UNION IS A CRIMINAL AND A LOW LIFE CHEAT' - Dr. Ugo Peters
'tell your stupid prostitute step dauther never to play with the tail of a tigger' - Capt. Anita George (US Army)
Shinsengumi
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah i totally agree with you! But i want to know what do you scambaiters think? Any suggestions? lets say I can make some of your suggestions work in one of these companies, if it's reasonable of course..
ParaNoid
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ rattlesnake said it pretty much for me. Those companies do a lot to try to reduce scams using their services.

The service is only as good as it's franchisee. Most locations are franchises and are supposed to follow policies and procedures, but not all of them do.

I hope you have read some of the instances on here where a WU or MG employee stopped a victim from sending money to someone they don't know.

Since the services are international, it is difficult to "standardize" anything. McHamburger places have similar issues because the cultures are different and what is acceptable in one culture is not even possible in another.

It sounds like you have some ideas and just want someone to ask you what your ideas are.

As always, education of potential victims is important.

Oh, here is an idea. Make everyone who wants to send money by a transfer service sit through a 30 minute educational video describing scams in their various types. Then they have to spend 30 minutes on ScamWarners reading, and yes there will be a test.

By the way, Welcome to Eater.

pony pony Closed lad accounts Goat Goat Goat Goat Sand Timer Easter Egg Easter 2015
Mortar x 4 <b>Looking for a Mentor? Click here</b>

"If I get mad at you, please just understand me. I am just being ParaNoid because I love you so much." - unknown

Visit www.scamwarners.com
MuzunguTheHuntress
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ Rattlesnake & 'Noid both said it quite well.

As long as you have franchisees - with low-level, minimum wage, morally bankrupt, refusing to follow the rules employees(granted, a minority, but they're there [1]) - you'll have scammers taking advantage of those windows.

Even if you changed the entire business model to reflect company-owned locations, you'd still have the problem both at the employee and customer levels - although you'd have more control over the employee part - and that's only 1 part of the problem. (But prices for sending would be prohibitive, considering the infrastructure investment necessary.)

From the outside looking in, a lot of WU's problems (since we dont deal with MG) are internal. Too many things out-sourced and nobody's watching the cookie jar. (like pre-cashed gold card rewards checks that *never* get rectified) But it is nice that customer service hasn't been outsourced.

Perhaps some additional auditing at the agent level? Requiring a copy of photo ID for claiming cash? Some facial recognition software that would pair up the recipients name with the photo (or fingerprint - or both) on file? (no match, no cash) At least that way, you'd *know* who's on the receiving end provided the ^^ low-level-morally-bankrupt (et. al.) actually do their job. (and if the fingerprint system were used, then regular database checks to catch any who are using more than 1 ID.) Tie it in with the WU computer system - no computer match, no printer access & no way to pay out. *no* over-ride at the local level. And hold the agents employee responsible if they don't do it. Some accountability (ok, additional accountability) when the hand goes into the cookie jar would be nice. And holding an agents employee responsible might entice the agents to hire better people for the job. [edit] And if over-ride were available with a phone call, then those who are over-riding regularly - claiming orphaned MTCN's etc - would be flagged & more easily investigated [/edit]

^^ That could be done world-wide without raising cries of 'racist' if you targeted only one high-fraud country like Nigeria.... but you could certainly start there.

I see WU has some nice 4-color (expensive) literature in their bins now and there's plenty of signage regarding fraud. WU's relatively recent changes in requiring additional personal information when sending over $2k were a nice touch. So I have to provide everything but a DNA sample when I send - but if I know a crooked employee - I can walk in & claim a transfer sent to "Santa Claus" if I have the MTCN.

But you can't legislate - or regulate - gullibility. As long as there are people willing to believe the story that's just "too good to be true" - you'll have successful scammers. Whether they're using money transfer services, banks, or the postal service to claim their cash.

(imho, etc etc - ymmv)

[1] Not to imply that all WU agent employees are morally bankrupt, etc - as the majority that we have dealt with are not. But the exceptions that prove the rule are glaring reminders every time we use the system.

Anderson: ask the Doc if my perfect sperm can make you pregnant and i wont fail. (to my character's recent surgery - a hysterectomy.)
'abeg' challenged "David Nelson", worlds most inept romance lad: se u won dey abuse me ni?? (from english to laddish in 2.5 seconds.)
Easter Egg 2012 Closed lad accounts x8 Mc Fry

Last edited by MuzunguTheHuntress on Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Robert Heinrich der 1.
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Shinsengumi wrote:
Hey there guys! I'm new here! What do you think money transfers companies should do to prevent scams?

the main problem (in my eyes): why should they prevent scams.

just an educated guess, those companies make up to 10% of their total income by transferring scam-money.

so, there is no real need to repair the system. but it could be repaired by setting up a few nice laws in the us and europe that the money transferring company has to repay the sender if sender was tricked into sending the money.

just as it is with credit cards... if I find out someone used mine, or I never received the bought product, I can go to my CCcompany report fraud and get my money back. that would force them to install security systems to prevent that... or at least to get the scammer afterwards.

Easter Egg 2012 Safari Lagos - Accra - Kasoa (and back) 2x490km Safari Lagos - Nairobi (and back) 2x ~5000km, Nairobi - Mbiri 2x130km on easter sunday, Closed lad accounts x12 , 6x Penisprint, Dai Teatime / Anderson Frank: but have been there since about 1hr plus no sign of them and was interrogated by the police and almost arrested

Team Eze, 2 Safari lagos - cotonou and lagos - cotonou (he hated it).
The threatening is increasing day by day with different cursed of animals, and i don't know what to do now. ---- am angry for your head
jose_cuervo
Baiting Guru

Location: Packing Vaseline in my frilly boots, I can’t help if it gets in other places.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I haven't wheeled this one out in a while... Smile

Quote:
WU is a legitimate service that is abused by scammers. Other services that the scammers abuse include, but are not limited to; MoneyGram, TDD/TTY services, the US/UK postal service et al, UPS, Fed Ex, DHL and every single free webmail provider past, present and future.

Western Union/MoneyGram/etc is a business, like all businesses, their goal is to make a profit, not to make decisions for their customers or get involved in every aspect of their customers personal affairs. They are aware that the scammers use their service and have even taken the initiative to provide warnings on their website. To my knowledge they are under no legal obligation to do so.

I have gone through the effort to provide some links and PDFs from Western Union's website that clearly addresses specific scams and specific types of scams and even what one should do if they suspect that they may be involved in a scam.

http://www.westernunion.com/info/fraudIndex.asp?country=global
http://www.westernunion.com/info/fraudProtectYourself.asp?country=global
http://www.westernunion.com/info/fraudProtectYourPassword.asp?country=global
http://www.westernunion.com/info/fraudScams.asp?country=global
http://www.westernunion.com/info/fraudTips.asp?country=global

http://members.419eater.com/~jose_cuervo/western_union/wu_pdf1.pdf
http://members.419eater.com/~jose_cuervo/western_union/wu_pdf2.pdf
http://members.419eater.com/~jose_cuervo/western_union/wu_pdf3.pdf

Additionally, every Western Union location I've seen (since I started paying attention to that sort of thing) has scam warnings clearly posted.

I believe there was a discussion about this a while back, I'll try to find the link and post it here.

“I guess a man is the only kind of varmint sets his own trap, baits it, and then steps in it.” ~ John Steinbeck
Shinsengumi
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey guys! i was thinking if i should make another thread or people can just post here scammers names and their location , the same name which they ask you to send money to, because of my work i can prevent them from getting the funds.. and waste their time on creating new ID's.. or it would be even better if you could PM it to me... i dont want my company to find out that im doing it here on forums:)
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi.

I am sure that we appreciate the offer, but I hope that you realize that this is only your fourth post here?

We would need a lot more information, Shins.

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
ScammedOut
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

When I pick up a package at my post office, I have to show a picture ID with name, license number, SIN etc. and that's to collect a package that may be worth 10$

Why can't WU do that when someone is coming to collect large sums of money? I don't think they should be making decisions about who can and cannot send money, but wouldn't getting the receiver's ID be easy, or am I missing something?
It certainly wouldn't cause any inconvenience to legit senders/receivers.

YOU GO SLEEP YOU NO GO WAKE UP AGAIN
SEE YOU ASS IN HELL fucking tax payer ..
REJOICE IN HELL - Jack L1n (Mr.)
Enough fooling around with yourself. Your parents and family are Fucking scammer!
You are a white baboon,that doesn't even take
shower.
-Miss Gbagbo, Christian.
I NEVER SEE ANIMAL LIKE YOU. Your papa be castrated so he no make more like you!
Easter Egg 2012 - Robert Miller, philanthropist Closed lad accounts
"I am okay but had a little fracture on our last operation." - Capt. Highliner
MuzunguTheHuntress
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I saw the "new & improved" WU system in operation today. So much for having a clerk ask 'why' i'm sending the $. The sys is now computerized - touch screen. Fill in the name, location & amount - click - take the receipt to the register where they collect & process the transaction. <deletes rant about WU IT support>

It'll be nice not to be grilled every week by a new clerk. But the "new" system does take some of the personal touch out of it.

If I'm sending, they want *all* of my info (and poorly trained clerks have demanded to see my social security card on a $300 transaction - one even tried to swipe my DL) - but virtually nothing from the recipient. Well - they're supposed to look at photo ID, but a lot of them don't even do that.

Anderson: ask the Doc if my perfect sperm can make you pregnant and i wont fail. (to my character's recent surgery - a hysterectomy.)
'abeg' challenged "David Nelson", worlds most inept romance lad: se u won dey abuse me ni?? (from english to laddish in 2.5 seconds.)
jose_cuervo
Baiting Guru

Location: Packing Vaseline in my frilly boots, I can’t help if it gets in other places.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Re: The ID requirement for collecting money...

Let's say you're on vacation, traveling, etc. You've lost your billfold/purse/wallet with all your money, credit cards, checks (cheques, for you weirdos - you know who you are).

What do you do now?

You have friends/family that can, and will, help you by sending you some money. How do they send it? You don't have any ID. Remember? Try walking into a bank, even YOUR bank, and withdrawing some money without any ID. It's not going to happen, regardless of your tales of misery and woe.

Now, if you were in said situation, walked in to a WU/MG and had the clerk treat you as if you were a criminal, all because a very small percentage of WU/MG transactions were scam related, would you have the same opinion about how WU/MG should run their business?

I have very nearly been in that situation, and I can assure you that the thought of being able to have my wife send money, without needing any ID to collect it, was reassuring.

Everyone can think whatever they want about the issue, but I would caution folks to use some judgment before clicking "submit", when throwing about conjecture and opinion.

“I guess a man is the only kind of varmint sets his own trap, baits it, and then steps in it.” ~ John Steinbeck
oscarpiles
#1 Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^Cheers! I used WU once in my life to send money to my sister who had been mugged while on vacation. She had no ID and thankfully didn't need any in order to collect.

Can't remember if she ever paid me back though....

I do not want to be associated with occult and blood sucking organization,i was told that you are not a man of God but an occult leader with 666 sign. - Elvis
Until thy kingdom hell of stupidity thy come!!! - Sarah
I AM GOING CRAZYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Bobby/Jenny/Jugs/moneyp**
ufffffffffffffffffffffffff - Outlander
F*ck you ass all – Jerry Asshat
i am a good lad i have told u that many times - Kevin the Idiot
You need home training lol - Brian LaLadyBits

Jack Boot Mortar Closed lad accounts Tattoo Sand Timer Vcamera Safari Easter 2015 Easter Egg 2013 Whip Whip
MuzunguTheHuntress
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
You have friends/family that can, and will, help you by sending you some money. How do they send it? You don't have any ID. Remember? Try walking into a bank, even YOUR bank, and withdrawing some money without any ID. It's not going to happen, regardless of your tales of misery and woe.

It has happened - mugged while out of the country. Fortunately, the embassy took care of it & at least provided temporary papers. Originally that's what the Q&A were there for, to verify people without ID - but it's not even an option (to give a question/answer) when sending to some countries. That's why the 'bypass' or 'override' - with a phone call from the agent. If somebody shows up with a recent police report that their ID was lost / stolen, or a letter from the embassy, or some other document - the report should be good enough for ID - a phone call to WU could by-pass the required ID. (and i must have a really unusual bank - i've never had to show ID except when opening the account.)

I gave MG the wrong mtcn yesterday - even *with* photo ID & the test question / answer - he couldn't collect... and called me at 3am His voice mail said ... "are you baiting me?"

Dharma
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

WU can't control some corrupt societies, where a clerk can be bribed easily to release the money without a proper checking.
Wiring money this way is untraceable and only used by individuals who know each other personally.

WU has done its best to tackle this problem:
-They put clear warnings in their sites and outlets.
-They give a number to call to cancel the payment before it's picked.
- In some cases, they even intervene physically to stop people from sending money to scammers.

They can not be blamed for individuals decisions. If he/she insists on sending money to someone they don't know from the internet, so let it be. It's their choice .

Copied from here, I'm too lazy to write a new answer Laughing . Also, it seems nothing has changed since. Lads still can pick the money anywhere in the world:
http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1832543&highlight=#1832543

Safari Accra- Douala(i only have one thing to say to you, go Fuck yourself and have a nice day Ok)
Safari London to Edinburgh(with DD)Sterck
Safari The Road to West Darfur (with Dr Mike)
Safari X2 Accra- Douala- Mundemba (Why do you put me in pain)
Safari Ireland to Sweden- Zion
Safari Nigeria- Chad (with Dr Mike and Agda)
Safari X2 Liberia- Ivory Coast, (with IG)
Safari X3 Nigeria to Chad- Steve & Tony(T**T team)
Safari X3 Belgium-Sweden-Denmark- Congo(with Dr Mike and Dane)
(Safari Safari Safari) X2 Operation Gold 2011
Safari X23 Random safaris (You are a bastard beast)Akmal
Golden Pith Rame Head 2013

Upgrade!
Scambaiting Tools!
Yabadabadoo
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This is a genuine effort by WU to protect those who send money to Nigeria
http://nigeria.westernunion.com/WUCOMWEB/staticMid.do?method=load&countryCode=NG&languageCode=en&pagename=promo_NGNote&pid=NG_NigeriaNote_0910

Of course it depends on the Nigerian clerk. Lads really appreciate this explanation as to why I can't send them the money by WU Rolling Eyes

Send the money and stop this dragging thing you engaging yourself with the bank - Mrs Rose after 80+ emails

I WAS LIKE A LAUGHING STOCK IN MONEY GRAM OFFICE TODAY..I WILL NEVER GO THERE AGAIN - Barrister Bediako after four trips

The UN diplomat feel so embaranced going to Money Gram twice without receiving any money from Money Gram - Prince Zulusofola

You could have made the payment but you go turning a rev. Sister like me ups and downs forgetting that God is watching you - Sister Mary, charity scammer

He called himself Satan Gomer, is that name not evil? May God protect me and my work from him - Scammer Patrick meets Gomer, the Demon Dollar-chopper
Shinsengumi
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey guys! Actually WU/MG do require ID to collect the money, but there are some countries who have their own restrictions how to pay out the money so it all depends on the region... plus fraudster often use fake ID's.. also Tsnerd you do understand that i cannot give you a lot of info..
jose_cuervo
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Shinsengumi wrote:
...also Tsnerd you do understand that i cannot give you a lot of info..

I doubt anyone here will be giving you a lot of info either. Laughing

I mean, how would we know that you're not just looking to collect some errant funds with the info we would provide?

We're a suspicious bunch, so don't take it personally, it comes with the territory. Wink

doc holliday
Squirrels Hate Me

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Somehow,I feel this will end badly. Rolling Eyes

You have given me enough stress through the shit you sent to me
Jack the hitlad

What you sent to me is not real, don't you fucking understand simple english, that is not real slip from money gram, I have been using money gram before now, FUCK YOU. IDIOT. PLAY YOUR GAME WELL. MASTER OF ALL PLAYERS
Jack,the hitlad who keeps giving me fresh sig lines

Closed lad accounts x35 x2 Easter Egg 2012
Shinsengumi
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

jose_cuervo wrote:
Shinsengumi wrote:

I doubt anyone here will be giving you a lot of info either. Laughing

I mean, how would we know that you're not just looking to collect some errant funds with the info we would provide?

We're a suspicious bunch, so don't take it personally, it comes with the territory. Wink

i see your point.. fair enough:) one thing i can tell you is that i work in fraud department in one of previous mentioned companies

Last edited by Shinsengumi on Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:

No, not really, actually.

We have a long standing relationship with various law enforcement organizations, financial institutions and media organizations spanning continents.

In each case, that relationship has been vetted to confirm that not only what was being offered was legitimate but that the person offering was whom he or she said he or she was. Not all endeavors turned out successfully, but in each we knew whom we were dealing with, we kept confidentiality and both sides focused on the given goal of the arrangement.

If you want, I will politely explain my opinion about Walter Mitty in PM.

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
Shinsengumi
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Btw guys I had few cases when people were resending money which they received to their Bank account, now can someone explain to me whats the point to play a guy for 7-9 months just for him to resend the money as he never sent any money to them previously? Supposedly he's sending his girlfriends salary...
Justcold
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Vcamera Sand Timer Easter 2015 Whip Jack Boot Goat Goat Flying Monkey Purple Flower
06/24/2015 Good journey Paranoid.
02/20/2017 You are missed Capone.
10/21/2018 Thank you for the laughs Toomuchfun.
03/21/2019 Keep drinking Grape Nehi, JC. I will, Irish. You win this time.
MuzunguTheHuntress
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
whats the point to play a guy for 7-9 months just for him to resend the money as he never sent any money to them previously?

Money mule? keeping 10% & sending the balance to the *real* scammer?

Maybe he bought something from the local version of Craigs List - or eBay - or maybe it was for his under-the-table viagra n vicodan order .... (or on the dark continent, mi rra & dagga)

That's a question that has *way* too many answers - as many answers as there are legitimate (and not so legitimate) reasons to send money. To get the answer, you'd probably need a full-blown law enforcement investigation.

And even then you might find out the recipient was his cousin & he was sending funds for granny's doctor bills.

And the important question - how do *you* know what was in his bank account? Unless your company tracks transactions & keeps financial tabs on people.

Shinsengumi
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

well we get info from victims... had a guy who was toyed by Vlad, said that he supposedly received funds from India, for somekind of a job Vlad did and he was resending the whole amount. Didn't send any money previously, and was in contact with Vlad for 7-9 months, there must be somekind of a hook.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic