SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

interesting article I found

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Padfoot
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It asks this question: "Does scambaiting make a noticeable difference to the prevention of internet fraud?"

Quote:

So I've recently found out about scam-baiting, and I've discovered a whole community around just wasting the times of scammers, such as 419Baiter and the-ex-baiter.

A lot of the people there are quite passionate about it. Some have set up fake websites, banks and stuff in order to fool the scammers.

Most also think that what they do makes a difference by wasting the scammer's time and effort and acting as a deterrent. My question is, does it?

Mostly it seems to take more time and effort for the scam-baiter. So given the number of scammers out there, it doesn't seem like it could ever scale to be an effective solution.

Furthermore, if it was successful as a deterrent, wouldn't it be in, say, the FBI or Google's best interest to start producing software that automatically baited scammers in order to waste their time?

Lastly, these schemes seem to have increased not decreased.

Can anyone actually offer any research which suggests that scam-baiting is an effective deterrent and that the scam-baiting has a measurable effect in lowering the incidence of internet fraud?

Source, with comments

Fixed your coding - TS
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
Justcold
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If I cared about whether or not I was saving the world..I would give up.
I'm doing something and I do not do it in a particularly amusing way.

Go to fake banks..nothing funny there. Just hard working folks taking down scam sites.
Romance baiters causing havoc, straight baiters getting bank accounts and CCs. The amount of banks, cc's that we report must be incredible.

We get tattoos, safaris, trophies and mind blowing movie scripts. We even get lads arrested. And rarely..we get them to profess to change their ways.

Do I get some pleasure from this? Absolutely. Do I enjoy causing misery to my fellow man? No, but when they ask for it, we are prepared to respond.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men (women) do nothing."(Edmund Burke)
To everyone here at Eater that does SOMETHING to combat these lads..here's to you. Image

Vcamera Sand Timer Easter 2015 Whip Jack Boot Goat Goat Flying Monkey Purple Flower
06/24/2015 Good journey Paranoid.
02/20/2017 You are missed Capone.
10/21/2018 Thank you for the laughs Toomuchfun.
03/21/2019 Keep drinking Grape Nehi, JC. I will, Irish. You win this time.
vonpaso xlura
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If it didn't make a difference, why did they DoS us? I guess that the percentage of attempts to scam going on at any one time, not counting the initial script which is spammed, in which the apparent victim is a baiting character, is at least a few percent. Add to that the mules, bank accounts, and fake sites we get shut down, and that amounts to enough lad pain that they retaliate.

×186
Safari Accra - SH Cotonou
you are a fake people so do not ever write to me again.
Am mad at you right now ... Am tired of your questions ... Am sick and tire you and your bank
Nigerian pig . go swallow a grenade idiot. Boko Haram will solve your problem idiot .
you are big fool by send a fake payment information and never you contact me again asshole .
your passgae bearing your ATM CATD ... Ant Terrorist Certificate ... legal verterbrate ... expartiate your meaning ... gets to your dwaignted address ... successful ofghw transfer
ScammedOut
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, it may not act as a deterrent, but one thing we know for sure is that a lad on safari who is streded in hash conditions, isn't scamming anyone for however long he's streded.

Knowing that you're the cause of lad misery and suffering (if you're really doing a good job) is reward enough in itself.Very Happy

YOU GO SLEEP YOU NO GO WAKE UP AGAIN
SEE YOU ASS IN HELL fucking tax payer ..
REJOICE IN HELL - Jack L1n (Mr.)
Enough fooling around with yourself. Your parents and family are Fucking scammer!
You are a white baboon,that doesn't even take
shower.
-Miss Gbagbo, Christian.
I NEVER SEE ANIMAL LIKE YOU. Your papa be castrated so he no make more like you!
Easter Egg 2012 - Robert Miller, philanthropist Closed lad accounts
"I am okay but had a little fracture on our last operation." - Capt. Highliner
Justcold
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

VX wrote:
If it didn't make a difference, why did they DoS us?

Excellent point that I left out.

Vcamera Sand Timer Easter 2015 Whip Jack Boot Goat Goat Flying Monkey Purple Flower
06/24/2015 Good journey Paranoid.
02/20/2017 You are missed Capone.
10/21/2018 Thank you for the laughs Toomuchfun.
03/21/2019 Keep drinking Grape Nehi, JC. I will, Irish. You win this time.
TheFae
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I know one thing, and one thing only.
Every fake site I get suspended, via however many reports it takes, cannot victimize anyone. Period.
A scammer loses his investment in hiring the fake-site maker and/or paying for the privilege, and most likely his hosting account as well.

Is this resourceful? Damn right it is. I'll never know how many innocent people are 'saved', but that's not the issue. The issue, to me, is that an obvious scammer is taken to ground, with help from the hosters/registrars who are working with us. They cannot possibly have enough eyes on the back of their heads to keep up with the tide.

In the end, I work to keep innocent people away from these cretins. Imagine your grandmother or grandfather getting an email, asking for their bank account information. Innocently, they respond. The looting begins.

It gets worse, but I'll spare you the details.

My friends who stred lads in hash conditions are another side of the same coin. My hat is off to you, I don't have the imagination for it! But give me a dodgy site, and I will find the right person who will take it down, legally and without question.

ooooo

GO GOLD! **CLICKY**
"This is really bad"
"my account has been disable and can not sell anymore and this is all i live on"
vonpaso xlura
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have a site on my list of watched domains that every so often (including several hours ago) pops up at a new address, then an hour later is gone. Apparently some hosters look at the DB or SW or here, notice it's a scam, and pull the plug. Every time that happens, the lad loses money, even if he spews out a million messages in the hour the site is up, because by the time the potvic responds, the domain is down. Someone got one yesterday, became suspicious, and posted on the SW thread.

×186
Am mad at you right now ... Am tired of your questions ... Am sick and tire you and your bank
Nigerian pig . go swallow a grenade idiot. Boko Haram will solve your problem idiot .
you are big fool by send a fake payment information and never you contact me again asshole .
your passgae bearing your ATM CATD ... Ant Terrorist Certificate ... legal verterbrate ... expartiate your meaning ... gets to your dwaignted address ... successful ofghw transfer
TheFae
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^Yes. Lads will try to host-jump, and there are people on his butt making sure he sticks to his cafe chair. Cool

GO GOLD! **CLICKY**
"This is really bad"
"my account has been disable and can not sell anymore and this is all i live on"
devil_woman
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Such a negative approach to baiting.

If it were not for baiters there would be no SW or SS who are doing a great job helping victims and their families.

The team of clever people who give up their time to kill fake sites and banks are doing great work.

All I can do is report bank accounts and hope to get them closed, and where applicable account holder warned off money laundering.

The 'do nothing' brigade will never stand up and be counted and history shows what that means!

Closed lad accounts 100+45:goat: Easter Egg

I have trying to access the confirmation code but it always stated Errow Anthony Hills Togo
I am pissing out and off my brain seemed shattered of several thoughts and implications this is really taken much time and am afraid. Sgt Allen Nigeria
Morgain Le Fay
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Agree with all that has been said previously in posts so I can only say "Ditto" especially on the DoS attack that occurred a few months.

If we are not hurting them, then why take our website down. IIRC for whomever was responsible for that DoS attack it cost them a ton of money to pull off that DoS.

Mortar x5
TV Star
.edu's 260 reported
Click here to support 419Eater.com
US Dropbox

"You people are all Junks" - Miss E. Kabx

"Maybe you are insane as your so called sat..." Barrister Insane

The website below is available for Eater folks to use.
Film & Production Needs
firehouse5
Palm Wino Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Scam-baiting is also a very useful means of keeping up with new developments in the scammer world and trying to create better scam awareness and avoidance.

Knowing how these scams actually work in practice is essential to advising people how to avoid them.

TV StarMortar dozens Closed lad accounts Not as many piggies as you.
The details you sent do not match, check your records and reply immediate. I have forced to wait in office for two hours with out eating
Padfoot
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This is a very, very good point, Firehouse. Smile The baiters are the ones who document and analyse this stuff.

Thank you for the correction, TS. <3

Well, you know...with great power comes great responsibility. How would I be able to sleep with a stray URL code running amok? Laughing TS
rattlesnake
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

At the end of the day, we represent a percentage of the responses the lads have to deal with. This translates directly into lost 'profits' for them. And I can't tell you what that number is, but it's greater than zero.

'i hate the fact that i come online everyday to send you emails and all i get is disappointment every time' - Silk
'keep your money ok. we dont need it. have a bless day' - Barrister Douglas Brown
'YOU ARE A BASTARD AND A FOOL' - Dr. Ugo Peters
'I WANT TO LET YOU KNOW THAT THE MAN IN THE WESTERN UNION IS A CRIMINAL AND A LOW LIFE CHEAT' - Dr. Ugo Peters
'tell your stupid prostitute step dauther never to play with the tail of a tigger' - Capt. Anita George (US Army)
sunshine
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

There are always going to be more scammers than baiters and we're never going to be able to stop every scam and save every victim but then, as a certain squirrel of this parish once observed "It's not your job to unf*ck the world"

We do what we can do to slow them down, cause them grief and money and maybe even get them to the point where they realise they would be better off with a real job but in the end we do this (well I do) because it's fun and gives me something productive to do on my boring commute to work.

I have explain this whole process to you so many times over and over again. - Spencer
Safari Praveen - Hanuman Junction - Hyderabad x2
Safari Bola - Accra - Cotonou Safari Alex - Accra - Abidjan Safari Austin - Accra - Abidjan
Safari George - Accra - Cotonou - Lome - Niamtougou Safari Toks London - Milford Haven
pony pony pony Mortar Closed lad accounts x170 Czech Republic Easter Egg 2011 Sand Timer Engineer Cooke vs. Temeraire x8
Padfoot
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:

Thank you for the correction, TS. <3

Well, you know...with great power comes great responsibility. How would I be able to sleep with a stray URL code running amok? Laughing TS

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
vonpaso xlura
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

We also pass them silly names, which sometimes they use, reducing their effectiveness. The loan lad calling himself Frodo Baggins probably got very few victims. And if you look at the latest military scam post on SW, you'll see a joke name that goes along with Eileen.

×186
Scambay Terr
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Every time my baiting blog gets a hit from a search engine for an email address, name, or fake document used by a lad, there is someone somewhere who has either confirmed or become aware that the email they got was an attempted scam.

And I'm not worried about the time I spend baiting - it's a hobby, and I manage it accordingly. The time my lads spend getting baited is another story...

Joker
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Furthermore, if it was successful as a deterrent, wouldn't it be in, say, the FBI or Google's best interest to start producing software that automatically baited scammers in order to waste their time?

This comment struck me as funny as I have a program that works somewhat like that. It by no means replaces baiters as far as quality but in quantity it rocks the boat. It is definitely a work in progress and I hope to one day have it responding to scammer inquiries at a fairly precise level by using attributes and text parsing etc etc etc. It still is far from being able to do the amount of personal damage human baiters can do because we can think outside of the box. The program I run is definitely stuck in the box with whatever rules I program into the thing.

As far as effectiveness..... from reading above if you get DDoS attacked I would say you are at the very least pissing someone off. Congratulations. Very Happy

Sir Blimly Windy
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

See my sig

i ask people about Inmate Rehabilitation & Reform group which is an organization but they told me that they don't know and my taxi became upset and collect more than what i expected and drooped me unknown area shouting to people that i am a thief that i took him where i don't know and he is afraid .then i explain to people and they let me go my way after spoiling my image.
Ray
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

He who say it cannot be done should get out of the way of the person doing it.
Deductive reasoning alone suggests that we are wreaking havoc amongst the lads. Imagine the stress the lad feels, even dealing with a "legitimate" victim. He knows it could be a trick, but has no choice but to seek legitimate work, or continue in his safari. That alone is worth it to me.
TheProbie
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

While we're not the best possible solution to the problem (authorities cracking down more seriously against this would be), we're still doing a good job.

Every minute a lad spends sending mails to a baiter, he isn't using sending to an actual victim.
Every website we shut down forces a lad to spend money creating a new one
Every dollar a lad spends on a safari, he can't spend on resources that can be used for scamming.

best quote: I HATE MYSELF MORE EACH DAY TO REALISE THAT I FALL A VICTIM.
Closed lad accounts x2

United KingdomUnited StatesBurkina FasoGhanaCanadaSpainNigeriaGermanyIreland-x14
Closed lad accounts x5 - Charity lads
Closed lad accounts x6 x2
Easter Egg 2012
"Why will i be afraid? Even the government knows its was a result of what they did to us back then, although is not encouraging but it can't stop" - Lad answering if he's afraid of being punished
lakeside77
A chaff in the USA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Scambaiting is fun. Need I say anything more?

Closed lad accounts x26 Easter Egg 2012 United KingdomNigeria x3 Thailand x2 Guinea BissauBeninGermanyNetherlands
Sand Timer Father Frank

I must let you know that am sick and tired of all this whole bull sheet do you know my ass is on the line - Jonh Raymund

i want to say i am very sorry for the Mother that gave Barth to you -- Jim Ovie

. . . it is disrespectful,malicious, an ILEDAN EYE,to our corporation and embarrassing to my secretary as he was messed up by your action. I thought I was assisting a true American gentleman without knowing that I am trying to help one of the most chaffs in the USA. --Dr. Leo Stan Ekeh

. . . I hate you with all my Live, you may not understand the Laval of hatred I have in you -- Dr. Lambert
georob
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sometimes fun for the scammers too according to my current pet...

Quote:
I know you are playing me but i enjoy it lol.

I must torment him more.....

YOUR ARE A FOOL STUPID MAN SO THIS IS WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN GOD WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU I CAUSED YOU IN THE NAME GOD. YOU WILL REMAIN A FOOL FOREVER

whit God all tin's are possible.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic