SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Coincidence or Advanced Scam?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bait It Up
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey Fellow 419eaters,

I have taken a hiatus from baiting and haven't been around much lately. Just been too busy with life. Anyway, I have an interesting story and wanted to hear opinions from the veterans.

I have a PC Laptop that's 3 years old and been slightly on the fritz for a while, but was hanging in there. A couple days ago it just randomly shut down on it's own. When I rebooted it, it started up fine but wouldn't let me open any programs. I tried everything under the sun to fix it. (System restore, booting in safe mode, etc.) Nothing worked. Eventually I tried to restore to factory state, and all that did was destroy my dying computer for good. Now it won't even start up. It just gives me an error message saying Windows failed to start. No big deal, the computer was falling apart anyway, time to start searching for a new laptop. Now comes the interesting part.

Today, my parents (who I am currently staying with briefly) received a phone call on their land line. My Mom answered and passed the phone to me. It was someone asking if we had a Windows machine at our home, and that they had information that my computer had been taken by hackers and that he could help me fix it. As I talked to him I knew it was fishy from the get-go. It was a fuzzy phone connection, plus strange accent that sounded to me like many of our African scammer friends (although it could possibly have been Indian, hard to tell with the bad connection). He said something along the lines of, "I assume you are in front of your computer, I can walk you through how to fix the problem."

At this point, I knew it was a scammer and hung up on him. In hindsight, I wish I had strung him along longer to see where he was going with it. My question is, do you think it was a random coincidence, or did it have something to do with my computer issues? Keep in mind I don't usually live with my parents (their phone was called), although their number may have been stored somewhere on my computer.

Notes:
1) I never contacted anyone about my computer problems, so nobody should have been calling me about them.
2) I've always baited safe, never gave a phone number.
3) I haven't been baiting for probably a year.

Very interested to hear your thoughts.

"17,000, usd is a chicken penny so fuck you off."

"Please don't write me anylonger because there's no reason for any more communication since you have messed everything up and i cannot continue to waste my time wtih a BASTARD like you. If you hadn't foolishly exposed your plan to that fellow fool of yours this problems wouldn't have arised so who are to blame I or You?"

"This is the reason why I get angry over you and call you names because you always peace me off.You will never listen to simple instruction"

Closed lad accounts X18 Easter Egg

Last edited by Bait It Up on Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Joker
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry I am not a veteran but I remember hearing about this a while back....

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/phone-scammers-target-pc-users-with-phony-virus-reports/4198

As far as viruses that can corrupt an OS install: I have seen them for windows. I know the Zeus and SpyEye variant can do this and I do wonder if scammers have combined malware with this type of fraud.

Dharma
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Bait It Up wrote:

My question is, do you think it was a random coincidence, or did it have something to do with my computer issues?

It's a random call and has nothing to do with your laptop issues. These scammers have been operating for sometime now and they target people in a massive scale..
I bet if you told them that you use Linux, they wouldn't have a clue.

Youtube is full of these cold calls. Check this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSFRtPus3DQ

Safari Accra- Douala(i only have one thing to say to you, go Fuck yourself and have a nice day Ok)
Safari London to Edinburgh(with DD)Sterck
Safari The Road to West Darfur (with Dr Mike)
Safari X2 Accra- Douala- Mundemba (Why do you put me in pain)
Safari Ireland to Sweden- Zion
Safari Nigeria- Chad (with Dr Mike and Agda)
Safari X2 Liberia- Ivory Coast, (with IG)
Safari X3 Nigeria to Chad- Steve & Tony(T**T team)
Safari X3 Belgium-Sweden-Denmark- Congo(with Dr Mike and Dane)
(Safari Safari Safari) X2 Operation Gold 2011
Safari X23 Random safaris (You are a bastard beast)Akmal
Golden Pith Rame Head 2013

Upgrade!
Scambaiting Tools!
vonpaso xlura
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dharma wrote:
I bet if you told them that you use Linux, they wouldn't have a clue.

If I got one of these calls and had time to bait it, I'd not mention Linux, but answer like: "The start button? Where's that? There's a button on the lower left that has a K on a gear, is that what you mean?"

×186
Safari Accra - SH Cotonou
you are a fake people so do not ever write to me again.
Am mad at you right now ... Am tired of your questions ... Am sick and tire you and your bank
Nigerian pig . go swallow a grenade idiot. Boko Haram will solve your problem idiot .
you are big fool by send a fake payment information and never you contact me again asshole .
your passgae bearing your ATM CATD ... Ant Terrorist Certificate ... legal verterbrate ... expartiate your meaning ... gets to your dwaignted address ... successful ofghw transfer
Yastreb
Common Street Thawth Vergabon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I had a call like that just today, but not from the usually sub-continent source; the accent sounded distinctly Ladian to me. The caller gave up early before s/he could do anything.

May you never se the end of the year, May you sick and die in JESUS NAME AMEN.
MARK MY WORD, YOU SHALL FALL SICK, IF YOU DONT PLEASE WITH ME, YOU SHALL DIE OF THE SICKNESS, THIS IS MY FINAL WORD TO YOU
I HAVE PLACED YOU UNDER MY ORACLE GODS,
YOU SHALL CRY AND BEG FOR FORGIVENESS OR YOU DIE

United Kingdom x5 Spain New Zealand Senegal Ghana x2 Benin Closed lad accounts x 246
Safari x 5 - Oyenka Chidinma Lagos-Cotonou; Dickyboi Lagos-Accra; Femmy Lagos-Porto Novo; "Woody" Accra-Singapore; Henry Philip Abuja-Natitingou w/MG & DSW
Sand Timer x 7
Wurzgnubbel
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Too bad, I would have liked to read what Cammy or Mal had to say about it.

the test question here is still who is the bastard b@la h@ssan, so were did you change the test question, and there is no change in this slip, this is the first slip you sent to me, you are wasting my time and dont call me a bastard in your next mail. (Hitman B@la H@ssan)

Closed lad accounts 5x
Scambay Terr
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My bet is coincidence.

I've gotten a few of these calls too, from a male with an Indian accent, claiming to be from Microsoft Windows Customer Support.

As if.

ScammedOut
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This is a very widespread scam, with Indian callers trying to get access to your computer with a program called "AMMYY".

People are having fun with these scammers, just as posters here do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hsEHRIMeZo&noredirect=1

YOU GO SLEEP YOU NO GO WAKE UP AGAIN
SEE YOU ASS IN HELL fucking tax payer ..
REJOICE IN HELL - Jack L1n (Mr.)
Enough fooling around with yourself. Your parents and family are Fucking scammer!
You are a white baboon,that doesn't even take
shower.
-Miss Gbagbo, Christian.
I NEVER SEE ANIMAL LIKE YOU. Your papa be castrated so he no make more like you!
Easter Egg 2012 - Robert Miller, philanthropist Closed lad accounts
"I am okay but had a little fracture on our last operation." - Capt. Highliner
Raga Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I love it when these guys try to pretend they are American. I got a similar call some time back from a guy with a VERY heavy Indian accent who stated his name as "Brian Wilson". Rolling Eyes

Nurse Nastys Audi TT + Sand Timer (15 mo.) David Holt (will eat your flesh for money)
"there is something fishery going on", "You people are all Junks", E. Kaba
"Go and face your dumb life", J. Mathin
"You are not well trained as a human being...", M. Tony
"...there are thieves and kackers and postal pilferers in africa...", E. Didier. Shocked Who knew?
Morgain Le Fay
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ A couple years ago I read an article where they talk about these foreign call centers employees using Anglicized names as they think we will be more accepting of the calls!

Oh, really! When your accent is so thick I cannot understand what you are saying you want me to believe you are "Jennifer" or "Tom"

Recently we had so much trouble with understanding one of these call center people we had to speak to that I kept asking for someone who spoke English without an Indian accent, and was passed up to a supervisor with same said accent.....I kept asking until they must have transferred me back to an American call center who I spoke to someone I could understand.

Mortar x5
TV Star
.edu's 260 reported
Click here to support 419Eater.com
US Dropbox

"You people are all Junks" - Miss E. Kabx

"Maybe you are insane as your so called sat..." Barrister Insane

The website below is available for Eater folks to use.
Film & Production Needs
ScammedOut
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah, I'm just watching one now on YT who says his name is Kevin Watson. Laughing

Well, at least they're better at using Western names than the lads are.

Enough fooling around with yourself. Your parents and family are Fucking scammer!
shower.
-Miss Gbagbo, Christian.
I NEVER SEE ANIMAL LIKE YOU. Your papa be castrated so he no make more like you!
Scambay Terr
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Phone scams in general seem to be making a comeback.

The latest I had the honour to spend an hour on the phone with (on their dime) was the free cruise scam. (You only have to pay the port fees today.)

ScammedOut
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If one of these "Windows" scammers in India calls someone in Canada and that person keeps Brian Wilson or Kevin Watson on the phone for an hour, what is the cost to the scammer?

shower.
-Miss Gbagbo, Christian.
oscarpiles
#1 Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^Probably not a huge amount in this day and age. Some of these outfits are huge with resources stretching around the globe. I chased one particular company from India, Poland, most of Eastern Europe and the United States although the call actually originated from Toronto, Ontario (Trust me on the originating call as I do that sort of stuff to keep beer in the fridge).

Mind you,if you can keep them on the line for an hour more the power to you. At least they aren't scamming someone else. My record was twenty minutes with them.

I do not want to be associated with occult and blood sucking organization,i was told that you are not a man of God but an occult leader with 666 sign. - Elvis
Until thy kingdom hell of stupidity thy come!!! - Sarah
I AM GOING CRAZYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Bobby/Jenny/Jugs/moneyp**
ufffffffffffffffffffffffff - Outlander
F*ck you ass all – Jerry Asshat
i am a good lad i have told u that many times - Kevin the Idiot
You need home training lol - Brian LaLadyBits

Jack Boot Mortar Closed lad accounts Tattoo Sand Timer Vcamera Safari Easter 2015 Easter Egg 2013 Whip Whip
Capt. Tripps
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Typical Indian 'Microsoft technician' cold-caller. Instantly suspicious that he has to ask if you have a Windows machine, but at the same time knows there's malware on it.

It plays upon the presumed naivety of a person, yet the con is laughable to a computer-savvy person. A lot of technical-sounding, made-up computer jargon with the intent to bamboozle the potential victim and assert the authority of the scammer. It is in many respects similar to 419, especially since there's an advance-fee variant of it whereas the victim has to pay money for practically nonexistant software to remove the supposed infections on their computer. There are other variants, including one where the scammer remotely controls the PC and effectively holds it to ransom.

Like the video posted indicates, only LEAs or your ISP would bring something you've downloaded to your attention. Microsoft, and as far as I'm aware no other company, never cold call people.

Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
victim has to pay money for practically nonexistant software to remove the supposed infections on their computer.

Yes. They get victims to open their "Event viewer" to prove how many errors and malicious files are on their computers. Rolling Eyes

shower.
-Miss Gbagbo, Christian.
Capt. Tripps
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I suppose the red crosses and yellow caution symbols are meant to be intimidating, when in fact they're simply a log of error and warning messages that have popped up during the normal course of running Windows.

Granted, the tech support scammers are more computer savvy than the majority of lads, but even so once you know the workings of the scam, you've pretty much exhausted their repertoire until they can think of something else.

419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I had occasion to fix a customer computer, and he had allowed the caller remote access..

What a fool.. He is one of the scum of the earth, would cheat seniors and steal candy from babies, yet he fell for the scam..

After he paid his bill, I yelled at him..

Perhaps he'll not return.. Rolling Eyes

Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I get them all the time, probably because my phone number is on my work website. I either play along dumb if I've time, or make it clear I know all about it -' You're going to send me to the Prefetch file again?' then hang up.

Once I asked them to 'wait while I booted the PC up' and left them listening to a noisy Japanese pr0n film soundtrack. I wonder if they put it on the call cantre speakers....

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic