SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Rental scam baiting - any success?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Kilik
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi guys, I would like to ask whether someone hoodwinked some rental scammers. In the summer I "rent" a flat as well as some friends of mine and we fell for a rental scam.
It would be great to know if someone managed to bait several scammers Smile
Caligula
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi there Kilik, welcome to eater.

First of all I'm sorry to hear you were scammed. I hope the losses weren't too big Sad. Was there a site involved? If so, we can get it offline.

I've dealt with quite some rental lads (I think I closed down 30ish rental sites the last half year) and in my experience they're quite hard to let them do what you want. They have many potential targets to choose from, so if one of them gives them problems they'll just move on to the next victim. You *might* get them interested when ASEMing them with something totally unrelated which has an enormous payout, or they won't bite. It might be interesting to hear spot and Fowan Nyne, as I know they deal(t) with lots of rental lads aswell.

Going Gold?
Post scripts at scamwarners!
Kill a fake site today!
Kilik
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow, thanks for reply, I am glad that there are some good guys fighting against scammers. Unfortunately, the scam was a reply to an add on Gumtree by a friend of mine. Normally I would be concerned if I got an unsolicited email, but this was only one of many offers coming as an answer. Therefore, there is no website that could be closed.
Interestingly, this scam was quite well organized - I sent money to a UK account, no stupid WU transfer that would immediately arouse my suspicion.
I did my own piece of fight but posting a blog about the scam that made using a stolen ID impossible - by typing Carol Wallace everybody should be pointed out to an anti scam website leading to my blog. But still, those assholes have my identity and I did not really harm them - they can set up as many webmail account as they want.
Yeah, I lost a quite big amount of money, but I hope I will be able to pay off my debts soon. Well, bad luck. It is ironic that I have always helped others not to get scammed and in the end it was me who got scammed. I will definitely try some scambaiting after finishing my exams.

I could not find a search button for this forum, so I posted a message whether somebody dealt with rental scammers. I am looking forward to seeing next responses Smile
Mr Tambourine Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Kilik wrote:
I could not find a search button for this forum,

Click on "Search" to the right of the 419Eater logo at the top of the page.
There's a lot about rental scams at our sister site at http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=39

NOW AMBACK FOR YOU AGAIN STURBORN SHIT
you dont have a phone.that makes makes you joe butt

Fuck you and go find something to do man. Stop disturbing me please.

This is definitely why you will remain and die in poverty, ignorant of good things and easy acknowledgment of bad things and words. Shame on you, you wicked generation children.

i went you to no that this is not a cheld pray. i went you to get back to me

we are not scammer,we hate scammer as you do.scammer make out life harder and harder,a lot of people think we are scammer,in fact,we are not!! please trustt us
Caligula
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Carol Wallace, you say? [email protected] or something similar, by any chance? Or [email protected]? That's no stranger with us.

What you describe is correct though, these scams don't rely on sending mails. They just place ads on craigslist, gumtree, etc. Many people fall victim of these scams

Going Gold?
Kill a fake site today!
Kilik
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Mr Tambourine Man
OMG, and I searched for the search buttom in the forum interface - no wonder I could not find it - thanks Wink

@Caligula: yes, baroness.wallace - that is her/ him Smile I am curious when they start using my name for similar frauds, since they have a copy of my passport :/
At the time I was investigating her/ her "lawyer" everything seemed to be fine. There was no mention of her on internet. Now people can simply put an email address or a name and see the results on antiscam website. but that was not my case. A very tricky move was that she gave me her lawyer email and phone number, who indeed, is a registered lawayer, but as he later replied, had nothing to do with her. I found it out too late.
Guys, do you think that there is any chance in legal proceeding in the UK? The police has the identity of the person whom I sent the money, but they act monumentaly slow. Could that person be an accomplice, or only another poor vicitm who re-sent the money via Western Union to Nigeria?
If you were insterested in detail what happened to me, here is the whole case:

Code:
http://rentalscamdetails.blogspot.com/

@Caligula - she did send us an email as an answer to a flat wanted add on gumtree. Interestingly, there were pretty few red flags in her emails and not as many English errors as I usually see in Nigerian scams.
I am especially pissed off that he used my friends against me which pretty stressed me out and resulted in my hasty actions.
Caligula
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I skimmed your blog very loosely - I'll read it more thoroughly later tonight. There are 2 things I'd like to ask though. In your Chapter 2 you post the identity card used by the scammer and a form/document. Even though the images are small, could you label them with 'Used by scammer' writing on top of it (ms paint is just fine) so it can't get reused by other scammers.

And the other - could you send me the mail where you received the bank account, along with the headers? We have a contact here that closes down bank accounts. You can just PM it to me. If you are unsure what headers are just ask and we'll guide you through the process Smile

Going Gold?
Kill a fake site today!
Kilik
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow guys, I really admire your involvement - it has been two months since British police started invastigating this, but except for drawing up an official scam statement they did not do anything to solve the case.

thanks for remark, I will immediately label the passport picture.

@Caligula - I have sent you a PM with all details you requested Wink

Wow, sounds like you have pretty good connectins Smile I desparately tried to inform the bank that there is a scammer abusing their account, but they did not care at all. I understand that due to security measures they cannot take any actions while having a cold call as the only evidence, but they could have done something about it.
Lol, I remember, how desparetely I tried to get some help - I wrote to both embassies, informed Microsoft about abuse their webmail, went to Interpol and so on - no replies at all, so you can imagine how really happy I am when I see that somebody volunteers to shed light up on this case
jrhc
419Eater is my life

Location: Playing for fool from behind the bottom of his heart

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah, we've got this really mysterious guy named "Alan" who seems to be very very good at making bank accounts vanish.

You are not serious,how can you send this can of message to my bank? do you want me to go to gel? - Mr. dennis abuda

Can you...pray for Mai Arsehole. - Pastor George
internationalchrysis
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ Some say he's the Stig!

Safari x1 (Senegal to Gambia)
"You can go now and f*ck yourself with a donkey or horse because you really need to be f*cked by a donkey or horse"
(George Michael's brother Frank/Frannypoo)

"You are a dead meat!"
(Léon the (Not so) Professional)

Closed lad accounts (19 in total:
x2 Léon the (not so) Professional. x4 Via Swindler's list. x4 Via Will and Grace the Law Firm. x3 *Hitman, x1 Hitman: The sequel!, , x1 Haiti scam, x1 The Bimbo (via Umbongo Chambers),
x1 Rita the ETA eater, x1 Via Team Doughnut, x1 Via Prince Emaka, x4 via the Nazis)
jrhc
419Eater is my life

Location: Playing for fool from behind the bottom of his heart

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Which, admittedly, doesn't really help us with the whole identity thing.

You are not serious,how can you send this can of message to my bank? do you want me to go to gel? - Mr. dennis abuda

Can you...pray for Mai Arsehole. - Pastor George
Kilik
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Lol, nobody would be so nuts to divulge his/ her true identity while being involved in nuking bank accounts. Anyway, whoever he is, he/ she makes a great contribution to fighting against crime.
And in fact, everyone here - scambiting must take pretty much time and many people would not really care much. Therefore it is great that there is a community like that on internet.
Lol, today I have got a funny scam translated by google translator. Nobody would be so stupid to write back - what is the perspose of that? Just to check valid addresses?
Fowan Nyne
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, most of the questions are already answered here but there is no harm in baiting a rental lad.
They move so fast on their victims that if you looked like you were going to pay, your lad would have to ignore someone in order to concentrate on you.

They don't play for long though...

"Note I am very weak by straight"
"Did you want to cheat me or play on my intelligent?"
"All necessary preparation for the movement of the stool are in the pipe line" - Stan "the man" Agbley

Click here to see a proper scam

angrylady
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm amazed to see this thred from 2010. I was about to be fooled by the same scammer. It is incredible that they use exactly the same documents and even pictures, just changing some minor details. I was very lucky because I know a lawyer who saw it and found the whole thing dodgy. They use the names of real solicitors... It wasn't easy t find this, though. Her name was not enough, you need to add "scam". I was lucky this time. Now the email they use is: [email protected]
Morgain Le Fay
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

When a thread is over a couple months old, we usually don't post in them any more, or necro the thread. So you found it because it had not been "locked"

Mortar x5
TV Star
.edu's 260 reported
Click here to support 419Eater.com
US Dropbox

"You people are all Junks" - Miss E. Kabx

"Maybe you are insane as your so called sat..." Barrister Insane

The website below is available for Eater folks to use.
Film & Production Needs
music man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

MLF is right. if you want to open a new thread on this subject please do so and link back to the original thread if necessary.

Locking

Switzerland x2 Netherlands x2 Filipino flag United States x104 United Kingdom x213 Portugal x4 Spain x20 Belgium x4 Canada Hong Kong Italy x2 x1 France x2 Russia x2 Luxembourg Australia x2 Sweden x2 Czech Republic x2 Mortar x13

You will rot in jail.watch your back- any shadow could be mine ! YOU ARE VERY EASY TO TRACK IN YOU NEIGHBOURHOOD ! DRUNKARD AND A SCUMBAG LIKE YOU!
mike lawrence (cheque scammer)

Go fuck your dead parents asshole!!!How can a deaf fool make clean money..The money that you have will never be spent on anything reasonable.
So fuck off..dont reply me again until the cops get your stinking ass...
Lyord Melson- cheque scammer
$4.002million and £214K in fake cheques taken out of circulation. (updated May 2009)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic