SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

University/College Decisions...

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Javert
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

All right, I feel really young here, but, well, junior year of high school (Year 11 for you UKers) is winding down, and it's really time for me to focus on higher education.

That being said, I have no idea where I ought to go. I'm really up for any university (I mean, how many Americans do you know are looking at McGill and Queen's?). However, I'm considering the University of Chicago, but I could use some other choices.

So, my question to y'all is this:

What colleges and universities should I consider, with regards to a major in either psychology or pre-med?

United Kingdom x16 Nigeria x9 United States x8 Portugal x1 Switzerland x1 Spain x2 Ivory Coast x1 South Africa x1 Ghana x1 x1 Australia x1 United Nations x5
Don't forget to donate!

Fake sites killed: 47
Justcold
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^How are you fixed for scholarships, tuition money etc? McGill and Queens? Fine schools.

Just pick a good school in an area that you are interested in spending a few years . I attended good ol' St. Greg's in Shawnee, Oklahoma.

You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders, you should do fine.

Vcamera Sand Timer Easter 2015 Whip Jack Boot Goat Goat Flying Monkey Purple Flower
06/24/2015 Good journey Paranoid.
02/20/2017 You are missed Capone.
10/21/2018 Thank you for the laughs Toomuchfun.
03/21/2019 Keep drinking Grape Nehi, JC. I will, Irish. You win this time.
Javert
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for your vote of confidence, Justcold!

Eheh — haven't really put too much thought into scholarships and tuition money. I think it's time that I start doing that...

Anyway, thanks for your advice!

United Kingdom x16 Nigeria x9 United States x8 Portugal x1 Switzerland x1 Spain x2 Ivory Coast x1 South Africa x1 Ghana x1 x1 Australia x1 United Nations x5
Don't forget to donate!

Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm an American and I looked at McGill when I was your age. At the time they were number 1 in Canada and in the top 20 in the world.

If its all about a pre-med program you should take a look at this but consider the entire picture. Did you want to go to a small school? Visit a large university and sit in on a lecture. You may want to plan on attending a local school for undergraduate and something on the other coast for postgraduate studies.

You can still major in psychology and take your med school prerequisites but I would suggest that you consider being a math major and electively taking bio, chem, organic, physics, and p chem if you want to be a medical doctor.

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
Javert
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, fine — I retract my earlier statement: few of us Americans look at McGill, then.

Good point, I ought to do that; thanks, Connie!

Uff. Math. Not my strongest suit, but, hey, why not?

And I do love the sciences...

Don't forget to donate!

Risque Free
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm not convinced that it makes much difference where you get your bachelor's. As long as it is accredited that is.

Some schools accept more of their own graduates into graduate programs, but I don't think that holds for med school.

That said, a smaller college that focuses more on education can be a better deal than a larger research university.

Someone who aces the MCAT and has done a lot of volunteer work seems to me to be in a better position than someone who does just OK on the MCAT. Thus, my advice is to go where you think you'll get the best education. Smaller classes tend to give you more interaction with faculty.

Oh, and consider joining a research group in some capacity. The experience is good, you may get a publication out of it, and the chances for a good letter of recommendation increase.
Toomuchfun
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Justcold asked a few good questions.

Quote:
How are you fixed for scholarships, tuition money etc? McGill and Queens? Fine schools.

Research and visit the colleges. Narrow down your choices and make a visit with your parents.

Look how well your minor studies will get you in to a good graduate program.

Class size, who is teaching and availability of the Professor are good questions.

My children went to small private schools that had hands on.

A lot depends on what you from the college. I am not familiar with any of the colleges you mentioned.

What would be your desired degree?

Edit: Re-read.

I biased UNC Chapel Hill Razz

Closed lad accounts x31 x5 Cellphone Webstores x18 Cellphone x11 Easter Egg 2012 Purple Flower Mortar
Whip Jack Boot
$28,320.00 In Fake Checks

"Are you blind. I told you that i don't like this method payment,If you are serious
you have to understand me better" "You put me through all this pain" -Hitman

"YOU ARE MAD LOOK IM NOT HEAR TO PLAY GAME" Craigslist Scammer

"i ave your name do you want me to take your name to my native doctor you will just go totally insane overnight...YOUR ARE WARNED ...Don't dare"

Juan Freizwidatt
Associate

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm afraid I'm a generation or more past being helpful, but I will say that McGill was my first choice when I applied for colleges eons ago. I'm still heartbroken that I was turned down. Great school, certainly worth trying to get in.

"HOW DOES IT SOUND TO YOU THAT ANOTHER PERSON IS DEALING WITH YOU AND ASK YOU TO CONTACT ANOTHER PERSON AND NOW YOU SAID THAT YOU WANT TO DEAL WITH THE OTHER PERSON WITHOUT THE KNOWING OF THE PERSON THAT ASK YOU TO CONTACT THE OTHER PERSON"

I apologize again that I will lick the dust from your sandals - Shorty

Sand Timer x4: Shorty
Safari x 16:
US lad w/Capone: ( Golden Pith ) Black Ribbon
- ATL>DC>ATL>Vegas>Seattle>ATL>San Diego>LA>ATL>Seattle>ATL>WY>ATL>Aspen>ATL (21K+ miles, $11K+ expenses)
Shorty w/bohigal:
- Lagos>Abidjan
Random lads:
- Douala>Korup; Lagos>Cotonou>Parakou; Cotonou>Niger border; Cotonou>Pendjari>jail in Tanguietta; Asaba>Abuja; Accra>Tamale
Purple Flower Goat Jack Boot Whip
Justcold
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^Their loss Juan... Wink

Vcamera Sand Timer Easter 2015 Whip Jack Boot Goat Goat Flying Monkey Purple Flower
Toomuchfun
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^agree

Closed lad accounts x31 x5 Cellphone Webstores x18 Cellphone x11 Easter Egg 2012 Purple Flower Mortar
Whip Jack Boot
$28,320.00 In Fake Checks

"Are you blind. I told you that i don't like this method payment,If you are serious
you have to understand me better" "You put me through all this pain" -Hitman

"YOU ARE MAD LOOK IM NOT HEAR TO PLAY GAME" Craigslist Scammer

"i ave your name do you want me to take your name to my native doctor you will just go totally insane overnight...YOUR ARE WARNED ...Don't dare"

Morgain Le Fay
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am an American, but I will also add that McGill is a great school. One of our friend's son went there and received a top notch education.

I would like to suggest you consider class size and who is teaching pre-med. One of my daughters went to a university that only the professors taught the classes and not grad students. Find out who exactly is teaching the classes. This is where a visit to the university might be a very good idea.

Insofar as med schools, and having worked at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, I am slightly prejudiced about the quality of education at the Medical School. However, it is expensive.

I will second the advice of Loram insofar as getting volunteer work in at a local hospital or clinic -- that combined with good MCAT scores will go a long way in the med school reviewing your application.

Mortar x5
TV Star
.edu's 260 reported
Click here to support 419Eater.com
US Dropbox

"You people are all Junks" - Miss E. Kabx

"Maybe you are insane as your so called sat..." Barrister Insane

The website below is available for Eater folks to use.
Film & Production Needs
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

An important link for financial aid-
http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

To really boost SAT scores-
http://www.princetonreview.com/college/sat-test-preparation.aspx

The two items that undergraduate and graduate schools scrutinize during the admissions process are grades/class rank and test scores.

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Javert
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yep, took the SAT already.

Scores are as follows:

CR: 760
M: 660
WR: 680

Yeah — not so good, but decent...

Don't forget to donate!

Ima Baeder
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Are your grades good enough to apply to an ivy league, or "wannabe" ivy league?
Schools like that usually have need-blind admission policies. If you can get accepted, there is a lot more funding available to you. They'll find a way to meet whatever you can't pay. They can actually end up being cheaper than state universities.

One tip about majoring in psychology: A bachelor's in psychology, while extremely interesting, is pretty worthless in terms of marketability. Plan on going to graduate school to be able to do anything in the field.

Star Mugu Reseller Mortar Closed lad accounts x 100 Sand Timer 2 Years Pretty Rose Mc Fry Mc Fry Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Flying Monkey Easter Egg 2011
Fo'andles
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^ I agree with Ima about marketability for psychology.

Being the other side of the pond, i would like to add that if you do not get the university of your choice, to go for the job you want.

Have at least 3-4 choices available to try for other jobs, at other universities or to put it in a nutshell, have more than one iron in the fire.

Closed lad accounts x40

FUK OOOOOOOOF - Mrs Cooker James
you are a fo0l forever because you are not worthy to be a human being but an Animal.
.something that cannot take 10minutes is taking you 2months- barrister lawrence
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

A degree in psychology can be worth about as much as a degree in sociology, philosophy or English but with the proper additional courses could get a person into medical school. I'm going to someone's graduation on Tuesday with a degree in English, a minor in a critical language, course work in thermodynamics, three years of management, ethics, electrical engineering, physics, two years of calculus and chemistry. She starts work in July in management for a multibillion dollar organization running a multimillion dollar department.

If a degree in straight math seems to be too much I would suggest as an alternate quantitative economics with all of the pre-med prereqs. Minor in accounting. If you can't be a doctor, run the hospital, you will get paid more.

Javert
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Are your grades good enough to apply to an ivy league, or "wannabe" ivy league?

Yeah, about that... Mostly As and Bs, but even with a GPA of 3.88, it's going to be an uphill struggle...

Quote:
One tip about majoring in psychology: A bachelor's in psychology, while extremely interesting, is pretty worthless in terms of marketability. Plan on going to graduate school to be able to do anything in the field.

Well aware of that, thanks. Planning on grad school, anyway, if I can't get into med school...

Quote:
If a degree in straight math seems to be too much I would suggest as an alternate quantitative economics with all of the pre-med prereqs. Minor in accounting. If you can't be a doctor, run the hospital, you will get paid more.

Yeah, that's not really my thing — I'd much rather be "on the ground", as it were, administering care, etc.

Don't forget to donate!

BRUIN
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Think about what you might be interested in choosing as a major -- then look to see how strong a particular university is in that field.

Don't worry if you are not sure that "x" will ultimately be your major. If you change your mind after the first year or two, you can consider transferring if necessary.

Bruin

Safari Ivory Coast to Ghana by Margaret Don & Angus (WIMP) - approx 524 miles, round trip

Safari Lagos to Ghana (WIMP) by Emanuel, approx 454 miles round trip

YOU CAN GO TO HAIL - Barrister Benard Koffi

YOU HAVE REALLY INCONVINSE THE CHAMBERS AND WE HAVE NEVER ENCOUNTER SUCH DIFICULTIES - Barrister Sinega Amah

I will not and will never link you up to someone that is reputable - Thomas Malcom

UR A FUCKING DESTITUTE. U WERE A DRAIN DUCK AND NOW U A SCAM FRAUDSTAR -- SMALL TIME 419. - Marcus Owen

South Africa

Hello Kitty! <--- TS certified
Cougar
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As always, some very good advice here. I'd just like to add, don't think you are restricted to universities in North America - there are universities worldwide with good reputations and high rankings, many of which teach in English. If you would prefer to remain based in America but are not averse to travel, many universities have developed international partnerships, and offer opportunities for overseas study, either as optional study or integrated as part of the programme.

Good luck!

*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^Yes I seem to have heard of an up and coming University in England that has a Rhodes something or the other.

I believe it was called Oxford... Laughing

Fo'andles
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^Surprised you have not heard about Cambridge which has a medical teaching hospital for doctors and is well known through out the world.

Closed lad accounts x40

FUK OOOOOOOOF - Mrs Cooker James
you are a fo0l forever because you are not worthy to be a human being but an Animal.
.something that cannot take 10minutes is taking you 2months- barrister lawrence
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

http://bit.ly/JbeNgn

God will see you true for all this you have done to me you bastard. - Collins Kalu
MAY THE HAND THAT TYPE ON KEYBORD BECOME STRICKEN AND TRANSMIT VIRUS TO YOU ENTIRE BODY. - Dr Linda Akeem
oh what a mess its time cabbage punks like u will be expose for trully what they are. - David Cole
lakeside77
A chaff in the USA

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Javert wrote:
I'm considering the University of Chicago,

While I was stumbling through my own education a generation ago Chicago was more oriented toward graduate education than undergraduate. I'm not sure if that is still the case. They are very strong in the social sciences, however.

Closed lad accounts x26 Easter Egg 2012 United KingdomNigeria x3 Thailand x2 Guinea BissauBeninGermanyNetherlands
Sand Timer Father Frank

I must let you know that am sick and tired of all this whole bull sheet do you know my ass is on the line - Jonh Raymund

i want to say i am very sorry for the Mother that gave Barth to you -- Jim Ovie

. . . it is disrespectful,malicious, an ILEDAN EYE,to our corporation and embarrassing to my secretary as he was messed up by your action. I thought I was assisting a true American gentleman without knowing that I am trying to help one of the most chaffs in the USA. --Dr. Leo Stan Ekeh

. . . I hate you with all my Live, you may not understand the Laval of hatred I have in you -- Dr. Lambert
Javert
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Slightlyoutofit wrote:

That is awesome.

Don't forget to donate!

BattleHawk77
Master of Master Baiters

Location: 7.2° N, 5.9° E, FL410, Heading 230, aboard Striker 419

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Slightlyoutofit wrote:

Interesting that the first result is this posting. Razz

"THank you so much for this update and I am very mush happy to know that the bank has conted you. Please do send them all the required informations today along with the fees as mentioned. This is to make sure that you make ahead of time."
"I only signed for your trnasfer approval due to that i want you to proof to you we dont run a scam here and we wont tolerate that words from you anymore."

Closed lad accounts x6, with thanks to James and Joseph
First site kill
United KingdomNigeriaUnited StatesSpainCambodia FlagBenin
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic