SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

I got snail mail

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Shellee
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi!

I just got a physical scam letter from "Authority Law Firms" sent to my home address with my name almost correctly spelled. I'm not sure how they found my name/address, but I guess it'd be best to respond using some other identity. How should I go about it?

Their website: www.f-wiglerneto.com
TheProbie
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

First off, welcome to eater Smile

I would say that you should leave this lad alone. He has your address, so you simply wouldn't be baiting safe. Post the content of the letter here, if you're unsure of it. If not, then go to the local law enforcement (I doubt they'll actually do anything, but it's worth a shot).

As for baiting, all the advice I have for you is:
- read the stickies
- bait safe
- have fun

best quote: I HATE MYSELF MORE EACH DAY TO REALISE THAT I FALL A VICTIM.
Closed lad accounts x2

United KingdomUnited StatesBurkina FasoGhanaCanadaSpainNigeriaGermanyIreland-x14
Closed lad accounts x5 - Charity lads
Closed lad accounts x6 x2
Easter Egg 2012
"Why will i be afraid? Even the government knows its was a result of what they did to us back then, although is not encouraging but it can't stop" - Lad answering if he's afraid of being punished
B8er
Associate Boomdazzler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Do they expect you to communicate by snail mail or do they give you a email address to communicate via (or do they expect you to make contact via the website)?

I would be very careful about using the contact us form on the website as it is likely to capture your IP address, which could theoritically ID you if they kept a record of all of the people they wrote to.

The website is a fake and I have listed it to be investigated and killed. It would be helpful if you could scan the letter (hide your personal details of course) and post it in the topic here http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1791828#1791828

Safari x 5 Tattoo Golden Pig Easter 2015 Vcamera
United KingdomUnited StatesNigeriaMalaysiaNetherlandsThailandCanadaUnited Arab EmiratesUnited NationsAustraliaSenegalSpainBeninChinaDenmarkGhanaIvory CoastKorean FlagSouth AfricaSwedenBurkina FasoCambodia FlagcameroonGermanyHong KongIndonesiaJapanNew ZealandSwitzerlandTogoTurkeyUkraine x 335 Elite Ninja Team Member Whip 🚽
Cellphone x 4 Closed lad accounts x 1746 x 1904 - Fake cheques: $4,392,620.83
Safari Team Woody - Ghana to Singapore - 11535km
Benjamin_Franklin
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmm...maybe I'm wrong, but something seems fishy about the OP.

"BIG BODY LIKE ELEPHANT, small knowledge and wisdom like mosquito. SHAME ON YOU THE FIRST FOOL OF THE GREATEST ORDER." - Wilson Smith<br>"I HAVE A GOOD NEWS FOR YOU, YOU CAN STILL QUIT THIS JOB BEFORE YOU GO HANGYOURSELF." - Wilson Smith<br>"I want you to understand that those guys at Western Union are nothing but enemies of progress" - Jude 0koya

Closed lad accounts Easter Egg 2012
bearkat419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you're in the U.S., the Postal Inspector would be the appropriate authority to report the letter to.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I occasionally get snail mail scams; the lad gets my name and address from the Companies House register of limited companies in the UK (I'm a director of a small company and all directors are registered, I guess imilar things operate in other countries).

They are baitable as they'll normally include an email account to respond to so you can bait from a safe box the same as any other bait you might get in your catcher account, just don't use your real name, obviously.

I have explain this whole process to you so many times over and over again. - Spencer
Safari Praveen - Hanuman Junction - Hyderabad x2
Safari Bola - Accra - Cotonou Safari Alex - Accra - Abidjan Safari Austin - Accra - Abidjan
Safari George - Accra - Cotonou - Lome - Niamtougou Safari Toks London - Milford Haven
pony pony pony Mortar Closed lad accounts x170 Czech Republic Easter Egg 2011 Sand Timer Engineer Cooke vs. Temeraire x8
Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome Shellee,

Could you post the letter here, either in a picture or just the text?

As Sunshine said, these can typically be baited the same as any other scam if they gave you an email address, assuming this is a more general scam and not one that is specifically targeted to you. There is always a higher malware risk associated with visiting scam websites, so in general it's best to avoid entirely unless you are certain of your system security. If you do visit, using a proxy is a good idea in this case.

If the scam is specifically targeted to you and shows knowledge of specific personal information (beyond what can be picked up from a general directory listing), then it is best not to bait.

Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't have easy access to a scanner, so I took a photo instead: http://oi42.tinypic.com/fkxo36.jpg
Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I take it this person had the same last name as you? If it is a very common last name, it's probably not a big deal--but if it is an unusual last name, you would need to be a bit more careful. I would do some online searches and see if I can find any other scams tied to this email and/or website before baiting, then be very nonspecific in my response.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It would appear starting a baiting account and proceeding from that safe haven might be advised. The email address shoudl be the point of contact. While phone numbers are listed, I wouldn't recommend phone baiting at this time.

As previously mentioned, please read the stickies for the forums. Peruse the Eater University forum for further information (especially that wonderful treatise on straight bating by our Otterfan. Great way to get started in the baiting world.

Being your scam was sent via snail mail, I highly doubt the scammer would be sad if you simply tossed it in the bin and went along your merry way.

-----------
Closed lad accounts x13 Goat Easter Egg Mortar x3 x4 Elite Ninja Team Member

We are Karma's soldiers.
<a href="/forum/donate.php">Mugu Gold</a>

I must be cruel, only to be kind:
Thus bad begins and worse remains behind.
-Hamlet, scene iv

vonpaso xlura
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you respond from a baiting account with a different last name, the lad will probably change the last name of the dead guy to match.

Welcome to Eater!

×186
Safari Accra - SH Cotonou
you are a fake people so do not ever write to me again.
Am mad at you right now ... Am tired of your questions ... Am sick and tire you and your bank
Nigerian pig . go swallow a grenade idiot. Boko Haram will solve your problem idiot .
you are big fool by send a fake payment information and never you contact me again asshole .
your passgae bearing your ATM CATD ... Ant Terrorist Certificate ... legal verterbrate ... expartiate your meaning ... gets to your dwaignted address ... successful ofghw transfer
bearkat419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ Or simply ignore the fact that it doesn't match, since it obviously didn't stop you from replying Laughing

Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the welcoming, everybody!

I've been looking at some baits on the site for some time and was quite surprised to find this letter in my mailbox, and it made me want to try some baiting.

My last name is quite uncommon in my country (1 in 5000 has some variation of it including the sender's spelling; my specific spelling has only 1 in 30000).

I went on and sent an enquiring email from a newly registered email address with another name... we'll see if he responds.
pablo
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Last week my wife received a loan scam snail mail sent from Spain. This is the first snail mail spam I have seen in several years. It was actually quite elaborate with realistic looking forms and personalized letter.

The scammers mistake was they were offing loans in pounds to dollar based Canada

We have two postal addresses 150 miles apart the one that it was sent to is the address that my wife never (never has) used. It was addressed to her actual name not Mrs. Pablo...

p.
Agent1002
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you had a membership, you could use the site drop box function. Have the "letter" forwarded to the drop box and mail the lad back from your new address. Due to the economy you just got a new job, moved, etc. The time to forward the letter will be a good excuse for a delay in a reply. Be sure to keep using the wrong name.

Internet Security Team

Agent 1002
next victim
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

An internet friend sent me a copy of a snail mail and pictures that her husband received just before he deployed. I have been watching and hoping that that one shows up somewhere with more information.

Sand Timer Hana, Flip It, G spot, Rosy, Cynthia
Cellphone - web store
Just read the posting on Eater. You are one sick motherf****r! Smile-Alan
"The skull with bunny ears was a good enough warning" - Nailgunner
mentors- http://forum.419eater.com/forum/cherrie_mentor_program.php
This Derick moral monster! From http:/ /scamnewss.wordpress.com/2011/10/14/derrick-ratt-scammer-beware/ Vlad blog
http://tinyurl.com/btf7872 - Toolbox
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic