SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Dialect and culture: UK vs USA

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Travelling across the US and Canada in 2010, I found it hard to keep track of whether I was going to the restroom for a rest, to the bathroom for a bath, the powder room for a powder or to the washroom for a wash, when all I wanted to do was go to the toilet....

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
The Craptastic Goddess
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Morgain - Well, I didn't grow up way down in southern MD but where I'm from, Steamed hardshell crabs was the norm... and yes... served with beer and my lips were quite numb from the Old Bay.

I currently possess a gallon sized container of Old Bay in my cabinet. I use it on everything - fries, corn on the cob, salad etc. I LOVE that stuff!

For those that aren't familiar with UTZ potato chips which is based out of the snack capitol of the world, they have a crab chip that is dusted with old bay seasoning to give it that crab flavor Marylanders are so accustomed to Very Happy
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think you'll find that these are crisps, not chips:

Chips are these:

And fries are those skinny things that McD's serve:

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
The Craptastic Goddess
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

OK.... Here in the US...

Pic #1 - potato chips.
Pic #2 - fries
Pic #3 - more fries lol

A french fry (fries) is a french fry by any other name - is still a french fry. Although when the French refused to help us in Iraq, many places here replaced french fries with either freedom fries or american fries.
Sold_Me_Out
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Roycropper wrote:
Sold_Me_Out wrote:

One thing I have never quite understood is that MOST houses in America or Canada are made of wood.... what is the reason for this do you think??

Dunno but it keeps fire brigades in a job. More trees than clay for bricks perhaps? Houses are enough trouble without worrying about them rotting.

Meanwhile, what do you call these?

Round here they are teacakes, but it varies all over the UK, never mind the US. Muffins, rolls, baps, stotties etc etc..

Hey Roy cropper,

I missed that one somehow, I apologise

I would call them hot cross buns I think
Morgain Le Fay
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The Craptastic Goddess Am quite familiar with Old Bay. Southerners use it too. I understand now there are different flavors - some to blacken fish, etc and one with garlic. Did you know back in the day crabs were so cheap that bars gave them away FREE and the seasonings so strong you drank more (beer).

Try it on popcorn.

@Sold_Me_Out I think hot cross buns having icing in the shape of a cross on them.

Mortar x5
TV Star
.edu's 260 reported
Click here to support 419Eater.com
US Dropbox

"You people are all Junks" - Miss E. Kabx

"Maybe you are insane as your so called sat..." Barrister Insane

The website below is available for Eater folks to use.
Film & Production Needs
Sold_Me_Out
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A question for Americans on this forum

I would really like an opinion, as I have always been curious at how the London accent sounds to you guys

I just want to know if any of you understand ANYTHING of what the characters are saying in these clips that I have posted down below. (the main character is the dark haired guy,) its one of our flagship shows, EastEnders, and people here either love it or hate it, like Marmite (another one of our specialities, lol

I posted 2, because one of them I reckon they speak a bit slower...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4kjIVzlgCE&feature=channel_video_title

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3eNPKDCk3o&feature=relmfu

Cheers
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I understood about every 5th word of the first clip. The bald guy made the most sense. It looked like some kind if gay prison flick, very strange.

I made it about 15 seconds into the second clip.

Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It really is funny the differences between terminology between areas all in the same country. I had never heard the term "party store" until recently we call that a c-store.

For about 5 years I travelled 90% of the time for work. I got to go to most major cities in the US. It was then I learned words I say daily are not real words i.e. fixin. I had a real hard time understanding accents from NY and Boston. They often looked at me like I had two heads when I talked.

Food is another thing that is drastically different. I remember being in Cincinati and seeing chili places everywhere. I was excited as every good Texan loves then some chili. So I stopped by Gold Star and I should have known something was wrong when they had chili on spaghetti. What ever I put in my mouth it was not chili...Also Texas is the only place to get good Mexican (well I guess Tex-Mex). I have had ok Mexican food in California but not the same. In the South West it's completely different. I do really like soft shell crab and it is impossible to find here. Having a crawfish boil in May and I can't wait!

I am curious why the Brits call French fries "chips". To confuse the matter when you eat them in the morning here they can be hash browns or home fries depending on how the potato is cut.

Oh and another term for a cigerette is a "square". Why? I have no idea...

Closed lad accounts Goat Golden Goat  Mc Fry Pole Dancer Mortar  Tattoo Easter Egg 2011

Vcamera Off to see the wizard!

United States United Kingdom Nigeria Ghana

Sand Timer Shortstuff

Safari Brother Mike co-bait with NWM : Agbor, Nigeria to Douala
Safari Brother Mike again with the help of Juan and Allst@R : Agbor to Abuja
Safari Pastor Clet Star Wars Safari Accra-Bauchi Co-Bait with NWM and the Rebels 
Safari Justice my He@vy Elecric1ty lad Accra to Tamale with the help of Alls@r and Juan
Safari Operation "Lagos spy" 
Safari The Dynamic Dumbasses 
Sold_Me_Out
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Pastor Frank wrote:
I understood about every 5th word of the first clip. The bald guy made the most sense. It looked like some kind if gay prison flick, very strange.

I made it about 15 seconds into the second clip.

LOl, only one of the characters was gay, and that Queeny, the tall curly haired one

The dark haired guy was the womaniser of the show, wrongly banged up for something he didn't do

When you say 5th of every word... I take it you didn't understand the dark haired guy

Still cheers for comments
The Craptastic Goddess
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sold_Me_Out wrote:

I would really like an opinion, as I have always been curious at how the London accent sounds to you guys

Cheers

I understood them. I find that listening to it for a while, I become accustomed to the accent and can easily adapt. I loved watching the original Dr. Who series if that's a plus for me Smile

Funny how Brits seem to think that Americans have accents and vice versa. Guess it all depends on where you are at the moment (here or there)

Cheerio!
bohigal
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

b95 wrote:
I should have known something was wrong when they had chili on spaghetti. What ever I put in my mouth it was not chili

A good Cincinnati Chili is awesome, if you're not expecting tex-mex chili con carne. It's actually a variation invented by two Armenian guys who missed their home cookin'. Did you have it 5-way? That's the only way. So says mr bo, you betcha.

Edit: other Minnesota-isms I've used that my inlaws have made fun of: taking food to "go with", or asking someone if he's "coming with"; a snowmobile is a sled; going "up north"="to the lake" = going to the cabin; adding "den" to a sentence, as in "You're goin to da Twins game den?"

Stop typing in french, am seriously dissapointed....am just confused!!!
You will have my nuts in your hands as soon as i have the latrine in my hand & i will pay the goats to the lawyer
My dear with this only, it is clear you have contacted and communicated with Africa Fraudsters and even send funds to him. what a pity!
YOU ARE A WITCH. MAY YOU MENSURATE NON STOP TILL THE END OF YOUR LIFE
Golden PithSafari Mortar Tattoo Vcamera Closed lad accountsSand Timer Team Hector:Lagos-Douala,Benin-Liberia,Senegal-Gambia-Mali-Chad, Egypt ,Awka w/ Shorty
Sand Timer Sand Timer Shorty Safari Abidjan w/ Juan
Safari Bibian
Closed lad accounts Cellphone pony Mc Fry Mc Fry Easter Egg 2013
Donate to Eater

Last edited by bohigal on Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:00 pm; edited 3 times in total
bravo95
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I listened to the clips. I could understand most of it especially the second clip. More important question is why British TV shows looke like they were filmed in the 80s. Also are those supposed to be comedy's? Smile

Closed lad accounts Goat Golden Goat  Mc Fry Pole Dancer Mortar  Tattoo Easter Egg 2011

Sand Timer Shortstuff

Safari Pastor Clet Star Wars Safari Accra-Bauchi Co-Bait with NWM and the Rebels 
Safari Justice my He@vy Elecric1ty lad Accra to Tamale with the help of Alls@r and Juan
The Craptastic Goddess
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

bravo95 wrote:

Food is another thing that is drastically different. I remember being in Cincinati and seeing chili places everywhere. I was excited as every good Texan loves then some chili. So I stopped by Gold Star and I should have known something was wrong when they had chili on spaghetti. What ever I put in my mouth it was not chili...

Oh it's chili alright. Just not the Texas version. Cincinnati chili is something my kids LOVE and we're not even from there. If you do travel through there, you can get it up to 5 different ways. They are:

One-way: chili in a bowl
Two-way: chili and spaghetti
Three-way: chili, spaghetti, and cheese
Four-way: chili, spaghetti, cheese, and onions
Five-way: chili, spaghetti, cheese, onions, and beans

The uniqueness of the taste comes primarily because of the combination of 16 different spices along with chocolate (to give it body) and honey ( to add sweetness)

If anyone is interested in the recipe that I have, pm me and I will gladly share it. Of course, my kids like it when I make it at the very least FIVE alarm. Extremely HOT. Hot enough to make ya break a sweat. If you "can't" handle it that is lol. My kids are used to it so they don't even bat so much as an eyelash at the heat.

We love it over spaghetti but it's also very excellent on foot long hotdogs as well and over burgers.
bravo95
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Bo I think I had a three way..I'll try a five way next time if I can pull it off.

@TCG yeah I think that was what I didn't like it was sweet and I remember tasting cinnamon.

Sand Timer Shortstuff

Sold_Me_Out
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

bravo95 wrote:
I listened to the clips. I could understand most of it especially the second clip. More important question is why British TV shows looke like they were filmed in the 80s. Also are those supposed to be comedy's? Smile

Those clips I just posted WERE filmed in the 80's, sorry I should have mentioned that...but the dialect hasn't changed one bit.

The answer to your second question is that this show is a SERIOUS drama show, not a comedy... although, because of UK humour, a lot of the characters will use sarcasm and irony SOMETIMES even when being serious, lol

I didn't post recent ones, as I think the show has gone down hill (cliche?)

But here is one recent clip, of the same show... maybe you can see if the dialects easier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qOF1aZ5DvI

cheers
bravo95
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That clip was much easier to understand. Most all of the guys sound like Jason Statham to me. I liked the "Bobby" I have a thing for women in uniform but that's for a different thread.

Sand Timer Shortstuff

Sold_Me_Out
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

bravo95 wrote:
That clip was much easier to understand. Most all of the guys sound like Jason Statham to me. I liked the "Bobby" I have a thing for women in uniform but that's for a different thread.

Lol, she was lovely aye?

I think she had a northern English accent, but the rerst of them are Londoners

Talking of Mexican food, I went to a resturant in South Orange NJ once, which was cool

But I guess I don't know Mexican food, lol
Scentless Apprentice
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sold_Me_Out wrote:

Here's a little challenge for our American cousins.

Listen to THIS.
Then watch it back and read the sub-titles to see how much of it you understood
on first listen. I think you will be totally lost after the first 18 seconds.

Should probably say its a bit sweary so NSFW

Winner: Easter Egg 2012 2012
Winner: Easter Egg 2013 2013
bravo95
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Mexican Food in New Jersy Shocked Yes way too far north. Although it is a great place for Italian (well American Itallian). Pizza really is better in NY and NJ than anywhere else in the US. It's good in Chicago too but that's more like a pizza style casserole as far as I'm concerned.

Another place I ate something that is never the same anywhere else is a Cuban sandwich in Miami. I've seen them elsewhere but never the same or as good.

Shit sorry this is turning into the food network thread!

Question for UK baiters. Why do British people end comments with a question? I.E. "That's a lovely dust bin isn't it."

Sand Timer Shortstuff

The Craptastic Goddess
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The only place you will find an awesome Philly cheese steak sub is of course, in Philly. Hmm... kids go to their dad's this evening. I have time to kill... just an hour and a half away.... I might just have to take a trip to get me one. Wink

The more grease oozes from it, the better it tastes lol
bravo95
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^Agreed! The best one I had was in a little hole in a wall next to a adult movie theater. Please eat one for me too.

Sand Timer Shortstuff

The Monsignor
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Drives me out of my tree to hear the British use American phraseology. "Hi" (or even worse, "Hey") instead of "Hello". "Movie" instead of "Film". "Step up to the plate", "Don't go there", etc.

Toodle-pip, old chap!

banghead
Sold_Me_Out
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[quote="The Craptastic Goddess"]
Sold_Me_Out wrote:

Cheers
I understood them. I find that listening to it for a while, I become accustomed to the accent and can easily adapt. I loved watching the original Dr. Who series if that's a plus for me Smile

Funny how Brits seem to think that Americans have accents and vice versa. Guess it all depends on where you are at the moment (here or there)

Cheerio!

The old Doctor Who was better, from 1960's to 80's... saw them on video, as I am to young to have seen them on TV

They started a new series around 20044, and it has continued since... not as good I don't think

Would you say the first clip's dark haired guy looks like a rookie/rogue/hardman type??

Glad you understood the accent
Nailgunner
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

if it's Eastenders then the accents are self-evidently thick east end London accents which can fox English people, let alone Americans.

Accents both side of the pond are often tidied up for TV. I've found some Americans quite hard to understand in person, much harder than film/TV would have me believe. I expect the opposite applies.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic