SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Bicycle Baiting **ONGOING**

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
theweave
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well my first attempt at scambaiting failed miserably thanks to a rookie mistake.

However, I did not let that deter me and moved onto the next one!

I found a fake website selling bicycles and sent them an email asking about a certain type of bike and how much 7 of them would be.

I got a fast reply:

Scammer wrote:

Quote:
hello ilene thanks for your mail..

yes we still have the Cannondale 2010 Flash Carbon Ultimate XC Race Mountain Bikes available in stock...the Cannondale 2010 Flash Carbon Ultimate XC Race Mountain Bikes is brand new....not used at all.and comes with 12 months warantee without damage...also comes with full kits.

PRICE LIST.

Cannondale 2010 Flash Carbon Ultimate XC Race Mountain Bikes cost...$3,000.per one

for 7 will be $3,000*7= 21,000.

Shipping fee..free

Total cost..$21,000.

for buying in bulk we are giving you free shipping to your door step.

we have 3 mode of payment..Via bank transfer, Via Money Gramm, and Via western union...kindly choose any of the above payment terms that is preferably and convenient to you, so we can forward the account details to you. we also like to confirm if the above address you sent to us is correct before we can proceed for the shipment of your order.

we also like to know which country you are located...because is not in your address.

Do get back as soon as possible.

Regards.
Sales Manager

Since I didn't write him right back, he sent this one day later.

Scammer wrote:

Quote:
hello ilene.
are you still interested for the bike.
do get back.

Regards

So I wrote him back,

Ilene wrote:

Quote:
Hi there, sorry for taking so long to reply. Looking after a child is so much work!

Thank you for the price on the bikes. I am looking at buying them for Christmas presents.

I see that you said I can pay by Money Gramm, Western Union or Bank Transfer. What is Money Gramm? What is Western Union? I could just go to my local check cashing store and buy a money order couldn't I?

I am located in the USA, sorry I thought you would have gathered that from my address. Where are you located?

Please get back to me, I will try to watch for your email.

Thank you,

Ilene

The scammer was obviously reading my replies, as he mentions my child when he wrote back:

Scammer wrote:

Quote:
hello ilene.

That true ilene looking after a child is not an easy job may be boy or girl...don't worry God will strengthen you more...

for the questions you asked.

Money Gram:Is one of the most easiest and fast way of doing business transaction online....you can send or receive money using your credit card or bank account to pay bills online in as little as 10 minutes.

Western Union:Is still the same way of Sending money worldwide online, its one of the most fastest, reliable way to send and receive money worldwide.

Bank Transfer:Is also a way of sending money from one bank to another bank.

we didn't see any country in the address you sent to us and that was why we decided to confirm the country you from...OK.

In order to proceed further do get back to us with the payment method you prefer most, so we can send the account details to you.

do get back as soon as possible.

Regards.
Sales Manager.

I gave him a couple of days in between (as per instructions!). Then sent him this:

Ilene wrote:

Quote:
Dear Sir Or Madam,

Thank you for your reply! I am still not understanding this Money Gram (or is it Money Gramm as you called it before?) or this Western Union thing. How do I do this? Do I simply go to the bank and ask for either one of these? Can't I just write you a check from my checking account to pay you? That is how I pay all of my bills. I write a check, send it in the mail and it is done.

I have never heard of the two things that you mention here. Can you please explain a little more for me?

Thanks,
Ilene

Then came the reply that I was not expecting (at least this fast!):

Scammer wrote:

Quote:
hello ilene.

okay..if you don't understand what i mean or have not heard of money Gram or Western Union before.

i think the best way to do this is to give you the company bank account so can transfer the payment from your bank account to our company's account.

Here is our company Bank Account where to make the payment.

BANK NAME:BARCLAYS BANK
BENEFICIARY:BURTLE BICYCLE COMPANY LTD
ACCT NO: xxxxxxxxxx
SORT CODE: xxxxxxx
BIC SWIFT:xxxxxxx
IBAN:GB70 BARC206804500xxxxxx
WALWORTH RD BRANCH

we have already packaged the bikes and the labeling of your name and address to your door step.we are now waiting for the payment to be made.

as soon as the payment is being made kindly get back to with the payment slip...so we can confirm if the payment is being made.

do get back as soon as possible.

Regards.
Sales Manager.

Well after that I didn't really want to get into the bank transfer modality right away since I am newbie at this...So I gave him this response:

Ilene wrote:

Quote:
Hi there! It's Ilene again!

I did get your email with all the bank information. I do not get paid until Friday so I will do the bank transfer on Monday when my bank is open.

In the meantime, can you confirm the exact amount that has to be transferred so I do not get this wrong.

Also, where do you ship the bikes from and how long will it take to reach me in USA?

Thank you,
Ilene

Meanwhile, I wanted his website again for future reference so I wrote to him:

Irene wrote:

Quote:
Hi again! A friend of mine wants to check out your site but all of my bookmarks got erased, can you send me the url of your website please?

Thank you,
Ilene

He wrote back to me with:

Scammer wrote:

Quote:
hello Ilene...please I'm very sorry for the late response...as i have being very busy attending to urgent meetings....

okay we will be awaiting for the payment on Monday and the total amount you are paying is....$21,000.usd.

The bikes will be shipped to you between 48hrs Via FedEx after the confirmation of payment ,from United Kingdom where we are located to your destination in USA.(to your door step).

here is our website. www.burtlebicyclelimited.webs.com check it out......

i will also like to have your mobile number....

Regards.
Sales Manager

I totally ignored the mobile request, since I don't have a number for him to call me on..

He then wrote me a day later:

Scammer wrote:

Quote:
hello ilene.

we still await for the payment of your order...

please do this as soon as possible and get back to us

with the payment details so we can start shipping of your order immediately.

Regards.
Sales Manager.

Then I decided it was time to switch things up a bit, so I wrote to him.

Irene says:

Quote:
Hi there!

I do apologize for not writing sooner but I have not been feeling good and have just spent 9 hours in the hospital, only to be told I am fine and to go home!

So I was not able to make it to the bank today. If I feel up to it tomorrow, I will go make the transfer.

Thank you for your patience,
Ilene

Gee it seems like Ilene Dover is not feeling to well.....

The scammer did not waste any time, he wrote the very next day:

Scammer wrote:

Quote:
hello ilene.

I'm very sorry...how you felling now, hope you okay.

okay we will be expecting the payment... please just get back to us once it done so we can start the shipping immediately...OK.

Regards.
Sales Mnager.

Nice spelling of Manager eh?

Since I was "ill" I waited a couple of days in answering him, in the meantime I got this...

Scammer wrote:

Quote:
hello ilene.
how is your health now.....please try go and make the payment so we can proceed with the shipping......your items its already packaged and sealed with your name and address....we only waiting for the payment so can carryout the shipping immediately....

Regards.
Sales Manager.

At least he is concerned about my health and the $21,000!!! *LOL*

Later on the same day....

Scammer wrote:

Quote:
hello ilene.

we are still waiting for your response.

please do get back as soon as possible.

Regards

Then a couple of days later he sends...

Scammer wrote:
Quote:
hello ilene.
we have not heard from you hope you okay now or are you still in the hospital......i want to know while you are still delaying for the payment.

please i will like you to forward your mobile number to us,if its necessary to call you then we will call you.

please do get back as soon as possible....

Regards.
Sales Manager.

Note: I think I may have missed a reply from me in here, saying I was not feeling well still and mentioning the hospital...

Not sure where the next couple of emails went (still getting used to my email box!) but I introduced my son Ben Dover, who took over for me as I ended up in hospital....

So "Ben" decided to go for the "trophy"....

Ben wrote:
Quote:
Dear Sir Or Madam,

I do apologize for not responding for so long! Mom is still in hospital so things have been very hectic around here!

She did talk to me about what this was all about, and we decided that despite huge medical bills she is going to have, she still would like to purchase 2 of the bikes instead of the, I think, 7 she originally said she wanted?

As she was telling me about all of this, I reminded her of last year when someone was selling something and she bought it and never received it. She lost over $3000.00 over that and was devastated for months after. I am not saying that you guys are like that or anything, but I am the more cautious person of the family.....

So while I was trying to talk her out of this whole deal, she insisted she still wanted to order the 2 bikes and told me you accept Western Union. Since I am familiar with Western Union, that would be my preffered method of payment.

But I want you to do one small thing for me, to prove you are genuine and honest.

Here are the instructions for you to follow:

1. Make a LARGE sign that says "Ben Dover My Bikes". You can just use magic marker and cardboard, but it has to be large and readable.
2. Take a picture with your sales manager holding the sign.
3. Scan the picture and send it back to this email address.

If you are willing to do that, I am willing to send you the money for 2 bikes by Western Union. I will make the transfer the day after I receive the picture, as we do wants these bikes by Christmas!

So if you could send that picture and also the price for just two bikes, I can have your money transferred in no time!

Thank You,

Ben Dover

Would he go for it or avoid it...

Well after not checking my email for a couple of days, I checked today and found:

Scammer wrote:
Quote:
hello Ben sorry for the late response

that very brave of you......and how is your mum now, is she recovering my greetings to her.

i have attached the picture which you requested of me and my boss.

the bike which your mum requested for cost $3,000 per one.

Cannondale 2010 Flash Carbon Ultimate XC Race Mountain Bikes cost...$3,000.

total cost for 2 will be $6,000.

i told her that i will be shipping the bike free to her door step as she was ordering it in bulk.

do get back as soon as possible so we can forward our account details to you.

Regards.
Sales Manager.

And attached this:

Actually not too bad, but I decided not good enough!

Ben wrote:
Quote:
Hi again!

I was able to open the attachement, however, this picture is not acceptable to me. It looks like it was squished somehow, I can't really make out the sign all that good.

Pleae redo the picture and make sure that it is clear and visible to me. Again, it must say "Ben Dover My Bike" on it. Make sure that the sign is held straight so it not bent together like the one you sent me.

Mom is doing good but is probably not going to be home for a while still. They still have not determined what is wrong with her, which is the worrying part. I thought she was in a good hospital, yet they stil cannot tell us what is wrong with her!

Anyways, I will await your new photo. The price on the bikes is fine with me. I will transfer the money over to my checking account now from my online bank account so that I have access to it when I go to do the Western Union transfer.

Thanks for your patience,

Ben Dover

I want a good "trophy picture" for my first one!!! *LOL*

So that is where we stand now.... can't wait to start throwing him WU brick walls!!!! Will keep this updated!

Quote Tag - Fixed - Spot
Agent1002
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Read the thread on reporting bank accounts to Alan. Get your self a piggy in your sig line.

http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=119780

Next since you are in the US..

Quote:
I totally ignored the mobile request, since I don't have a number for him to call me on..

Delay tactics are to ask him what color bikes he has in stock. Ask for a color he doesn't list. A list from a car dealer is a good start for colors he won't list. Can you get me one in Royal Regatta Blue?

Sign up for a free Google Voice account. Get a phone number in some other state. Google Voice has an answering machine (voicemail) and can receive taxt messages. Let the lad know your phone plan is domestic so you can't call or text overseas, but when you are not out of range, you can receive calls.

GV can forward the calls to your home phone, cell phone, or other number if you want to sometimes take a call while not at the computer or you don't have a headset set up. I have mine set up to ring a VOIP phone in my back office. It separates lad calls from my RL calls.

I have a GV number in another state attached to by bait account.

If you are not using Gmail, PM me your email and I will send you an invite so you can easily get Gmail and Google Voice. USA only though.

Read the stickes and well done.

Internet Security Team

Agent 1002
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic