SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

BMO money order for $2500 for a $100 item

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Kenny1234
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,

So I'm selling my $100 item and get contacted by a Mr Garry Shane ([email protected]), he informs me he is out of the country on business at the moment but wants to purchase my item so can I ship it abroad to Cyprus for his daughters wedding. He has also just been traveling through Canada and so will be sending me a Canadian money order to cover the cost of both the item and the shipping.

Sure enough the BMO money order arrives for $2500 (the max amount allowed apparently for one of these).

He urges me to go cash the money order and to keep checking the ATM for when the funds become available at which point I am to contact his shippers ([email protected]) who will request a money gram payment from the local post office.

I'm new to all this but can anyone think of some fun ways to wind this guy up?( The scam seems ridiculous, I mean even before the alarm bells went off I told him after the first email that if he is going to paying by cheque I would be waiting for full clearance of the cheque before sending/paying anything. So I don't know what he's expecting to happen by sending me a fake order...perhaps catch those few people who only wait a day or two before clearance to send the money over??)
Mr Tambourine Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome to 419Eater.
He's hoping that you will send the money by Moneygram after the check appears to clear. It can take days, weeks, or even months before the fake is spotted.
Read the stickies about safe baiting and ask for a mentor. On no account bait from your real life email address.

NOW AMBACK FOR YOU AGAIN STURBORN SHIT
you dont have a phone.that makes makes you joe butt

Fuck you and go find something to do man. Stop disturbing me please.

This is definitely why you will remain and die in poverty, ignorant of good things and easy acknowledgment of bad things and words. Shame on you, you wicked generation children.

i went you to no that this is not a cheld pray. i went you to get back to me

we are not scammer,we hate scammer as you do.scammer make out life harder and harder,a lot of people think we are scammer,in fact,we are not!! please trustt us
Kenny1234
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Don't worry I tore up the Money order as soon as it arrived, the alarm bells went off some time ago. Also the email I'm using to contact him is my "trash" gmail account that I use to sign up to various disposable services (such as forums haha) not my main account. Although unfortunately he does have my real address, as I was under the impression he was just a buyer on an auction site before the alarm bells went off, so maybe I shouldn't bait him after all, LOL.

[It's interesting to hear that Money orders and cheques can actually take months to clear though. So if after 2 weeks I went into my bank and they told me the money order has cleared, and I then withdrew the money, then 3 months later the cheque/MO could still be returned leaving me negative? Whats the point in having a "clearing" system then? surely the bank should be liable if they have told the customer after sufficient time that the cheque/MO has *cleared* (not just available but cleared)?]

]

Last edited by Kenny1234 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:15 pm; edited 4 times in total
Inspector Gadget
Angel of unrealistic meetings

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Have a look round for our Shipping Company, much better than his, cheaper and more reliable. It goes by the name of A L L S T A R S H I P P I N G. Let your lad know, after his shipping company has contacted you that you've used a better one.
They are very good, from what I can remember they have a 100% record.

Admittedly that's 100% failure....

Pith Helmet Halil, Cotonou to Accra
Pith Helmet + Sand Timer Precious 10/08/11
Cellphone x8 Nigeria Spain Mortar x34 Closed lad accounts x 73 Goat
grown up man like him, still doing all this shit games - Stanley, (he doesn't like Parcel Direct)
You again do the strange reflections stuffed with drugs? - Natalia
Sand Timer x3 Hector 24/1/13 Sand Timer Moses 15th Oct 2011
Pretty Rose Sand Timer x 2Mick Ole 11th Sept 2014-16 Sand Timer Asare Akuffo start 4th Aug 2014
Nailgunner
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^ I think it's a bit different if the cheque turns out to be stolen or forged. Be careful Wink

Kenny1234
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nailgunner wrote:
^ I think it's a bit different if the cheque turns out to be stolen or forged. Be careful Wink

After some googling I found out that( in the UK at least) the regulations changed in 2007 to mean that after 6 days you can be certain that the money is yours and you are protected from any loss if the cheque subsequently bounces or turns out to be fraudulent. See: http://www.ukpayments.org.uk/payments_industry/payment_fraud/cheque_fraud/ and http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6144756.stm

At least that is partly reassuring. Although I obviously wouldn't want to bet on it..
vonpaso xlura
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If he has your real life anything, drop him. Make up an emali address used only for baiting, make up a nonexistent but plausible street address, and send him an email saying "Yes I'm willing to sell you my item", where the item is unrelated to your actual item, perhaps nonsensical, such as a fur sink.

×186
Safari Accra - SH Cotonou
you are a fake people so do not ever write to me again.
Am mad at you right now ... Am tired of your questions ... Am sick and tire you and your bank
Nigerian pig . go swallow a grenade idiot. Boko Haram will solve your problem idiot .
you are big fool by send a fake payment information and never you contact me again asshole .
your passgae bearing your ATM CATD ... Ant Terrorist Certificate ... legal verterbrate ... expartiate your meaning ... gets to your dwaignted address ... successful ofghw transfer
Kenny1234
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

vonpaso xlura wrote:
If he has your real life anything, drop him. Make up an emali address used only for baiting, make up a nonexistent but plausible street address, and send him an email saying "Yes I'm willing to sell you my item", where the item is unrelated to your actual item, perhaps nonsensical, such as a fur sink.

Yeah, as I say, I didn't get in contact with him with original intention of baiting him he just fell upon my lap. Maybe you're right though he does have my address, so I should probably tell him where to go and then leave it at that.

I guess you guys could have some fun with him if you wanted though? his details are above..
Maxine_christine
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Concerning this person I was selling a £100 gas fire on bargain pages web site when Gary Shane emailed me wanting to by the fire.

He too told me the story about his daughters wedding and sent me a cheque in Canadian dollars for $2,500 asked if i could pay his courier for the collection of his goods that he had brought around the west midlands so i did it .. the cheque bounced sky high but i had been emailed and chatted with him and the courier to send the cash £1400 asap by money gram which I stupidly did .. now im in deep craps with my bank which has started a fraud investigation .. Im so scared Id never dont this before.
Angus T Leaves
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Depending on the country you're in, you can be liable for 'dodgy' cheques for a long time. Check this video at 6.15:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF5u6CmgbsI

Closed lad accounts x2 from my first lad.
TheProbie
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Maxine - Sorry to hear that, hopefully the investigation will show that you've a victim, not a scammer.

About the video Angus is posting, couldn't it be argued that the banks are misleading people if they say that the cheque is cleared - at least if they don't warn the person that it can change?

best quote: I HATE MYSELF MORE EACH DAY TO REALISE THAT I FALL A VICTIM.
Closed lad accounts x2

United KingdomUnited StatesBurkina FasoGhanaCanadaSpainNigeriaGermanyIreland-x14
Closed lad accounts x5 - Charity lads
Closed lad accounts x6 x2
Easter Egg 2012
"Why will i be afraid? Even the government knows its was a result of what they did to us back then, although is not encouraging but it can't stop" - Lad answering if he's afraid of being punished
Angus T Leaves
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would argue that the banks are misleading people. The video shows that customers are liable for the banks mistakes for 90 days in most places, and up to 6 years where the law allows it!

Here in the UK, cheques are rapidly falling out of favour, and many shops no longer accept them. This is part of the reason why. It is too easy for a scammer to exploit the system, and the liability falls on an innocent party such as Maxine.

@Maxine - Don't worry too much. Just be honest, and answer all their questions to the best of your ability. As Probie said, you are a victim in this episode. There are several places to get help, and I recommend that you contact the CAB as soon as possible. They will be able to advise you far better than I can

Closed lad accounts x2 from my first lad.
Maxine_christine
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

thanks to everyones help I have been to the CAB office and they say I have a complaint against the bank for cashing a cheque before it had cleared.

My fingers are crossed and Im going to fight these jerks at Barclays for their incompetence.
I will be happy to let you know how it all turns out for me.
N N N
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

honest bankers? .... Rolling Eyes
Morgain Le Fay
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ sort of an oxymoron like "honest lawyers", eh?

Mortar x5
TV Star
.edu's 260 reported
Click here to support 419Eater.com
US Dropbox

"You people are all Junks" - Miss E. Kabx

"Maybe you are insane as your so called sat..." Barrister Insane

The website below is available for Eater folks to use.
Film & Production Needs
N N N
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You can't beat a good oxymoron ... my favourite has to be "police intelligence" Laughing
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic