SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

How about going after some US scammers?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Malvorich
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So, recently I received a phone call from 360-xxx-xxxx. totally out of area as I'm on the other side of the country. It starts with some recorded message about how they are calling from 'account services' and want to lower the rate on my credit card, and that there is no problem with my current card. Then it says to 'push 1 for more information'.
Naturally, I'm already highly dubious that this is legit at all. I figure I'll just speak with some poor rep making minimum wage, tell them that I'm on the DNC list, have them remove me from their call list, and be done with it.
The intensely ghetto sounding woman on the other line decided to be not only vague when asked about what card she was calling from and avoiding other questions, but when I asked her to "Do me a favor and take me off the call list" she said "No, you need to do me a favor and not press one because you sound like a dickhead."
Reported to BBB? Check.
Reported to DNC.org? Check.
Reported to state attorney general? Check.
And now, I turn to the lovely world of internet justice. Any thoughts?

Mod edit to obfuscate phone number - JF
doc holliday
Squirrels Hate Me

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I sympathize with you,and feel the same way but this really is not baitable.It may be shady as hell,but it has nothing to do with advance fee fraud which is what we deal with here.
I can tell you that much enjoyment can be had by keeping them on the phone as long as possible and giving them totally insane answers.I had one similar on the phone for over 10 minutes yesterday Very Happy

You have given me enough stress through the shit you sent to me
Jack the hitlad

What you sent to me is not real, don't you fucking understand simple english, that is not real slip from money gram, I have been using money gram before now, FUCK YOU. IDIOT. PLAY YOUR GAME WELL. MASTER OF ALL PLAYERS
Jack,the hitlad who keeps giving me fresh sig lines

Closed lad accounts x35 x2 Easter Egg 2012
Juan Freizwidatt
Associate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I was obliged to obfuscate the listed number as it violates forum rules to list phone numbers or addresses without firm substantiation of a scam. There's way too much opportunity for abuse.

In any event, as Doc Holliday say, that sort of telemarketing is outside of our scope. We fight advance fee fraud, not shady but legitimate businesses operating boiler room call centers and ignoring the Do Not Call list.

I am not exaggerating in the slightest when I say that between my business and home telephone lines I get 10-15 such calls every single day. If a number shows on caller ID -- often it won't -- I go to www.whocalled.us and look up who the caller actually is. Sometimes it's a legitimate charity, or a business like Sears trying to pitch me on a service contract. Those are legal calls under the DNC. For those that aren't, I go to the FCC's DNC complaint center and file a formal complaint.

Ultimately, the only thing you can do is ignore them. You certainly can't bait them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrFhAbilj48

"HOW DOES IT SOUND TO YOU THAT ANOTHER PERSON IS DEALING WITH YOU AND ASK YOU TO CONTACT ANOTHER PERSON AND NOW YOU SAID THAT YOU WANT TO DEAL WITH THE OTHER PERSON WITHOUT THE KNOWING OF THE PERSON THAT ASK YOU TO CONTACT THE OTHER PERSON"

I apologize again that I will lick the dust from your sandals - Shorty

Sand Timer x4: Shorty
Safari x 16:
US lad w/Capone: ( Golden Pith ) Black Ribbon
- ATL>DC>ATL>Vegas>Seattle>ATL>San Diego>LA>ATL>Seattle>ATL>WY>ATL>Aspen>ATL (21K+ miles, $11K+ expenses)
Shorty w/bohigal:
- Lagos>Abidjan
Random lads:
- Douala>Korup; Lagos>Cotonou>Parakou; Cotonou>Niger border; Cotonou>Pendjari>jail in Tanguietta; Asaba>Abuja; Accra>Tamale
Purple Flower Goat Jack Boot Whip
bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
You certainly can't bait them.

Come on, where's your imagination, anyone, anytime can be baited, you just need the right line or subject at the right moment.
But I don't like phone baits anymore, although this one on the same continent might keep decent hours for their calls back Twisted Evil

A chaff in the USA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

doc holliday wrote:
I had one similar on the phone for over 10 minutes yesterday

You are to be commended. Thumbs up Usually these guys hang up with the first hint that you are not serious or when you tell them they are running a scam.

@Malvorich: that phone number is likely spoofed to look like they are operating from the 360 area code. These guys move on a soon as the authorities turn the heat up on them. Stopping them is like playing whack-a-mole.

Closed lad accounts x26 Easter Egg 2012 United KingdomNigeria x3 Thailand x2 Guinea BissauBeninGermanyNetherlands
Sand Timer Father Frank

I must let you know that am sick and tired of all this whole bull sheet do you know my ass is on the line - Jonh Raymund

i want to say i am very sorry for the Mother that gave Barth to you -- Jim Ovie

. . . it is disrespectful,malicious, an ILEDAN EYE,to our corporation and embarrassing to my secretary as he was messed up by your action. I thought I was assisting a true American gentleman without knowing that I am trying to help one of the most chaffs in the USA. --Dr. Leo Stan Ekeh

. . . I hate you with all my Live, you may not understand the Laval of hatred I have in you -- Dr. Lambert
Flash347
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I used to work for Sears in their telemarketing department and we actually had a call that was placed where the contact kept the rep on the line for 3 hours with questions about the product. The Supervisors were monitoring the call and kept a running update for us on the different questions the contact was asking.

Even we hate telemarketing sometimes it does serve a legitimate purpose.
woody999
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^

Quote:
Even we hate telemarketing sometimes it does serve a legitimate purpose.

In my house we call it entertainment.

"YOU NEED SOME DOCTOR" Barrister Peter Paul

I dont know who is lieing ,either you or F3lcha1r

is annoying to watch my email for a whole day and not read from you-
>178 Closed lad accounts x 200 Goat Easter Egg Purple Flower x2
United StatesNigeriaSpainUnited KingdomChinaGhanaUnited NationsThailandFilipino flagCambodia FlagcameroonGermanyMalaysiaSouth AfricaCanadaBeninRussiaFranceCayman IslandsLuxembourg
Ivory CoastBurkina FasoPortugalUnited Arab EmiratesTogoMexican FlagNetherlandsAustraliaIndonesiaSwitzerlandItalySenegalTurkeyJapanGibraltar
Peru : sri lanka : USVI : Oman x 5816
Cellphone x 45 Nurse Nastys Audi TT x2
Flash347
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Telemarketing has become so evil lately with autodialers. I even hate getting calls from them now.
jose_cuervo
Baiting Guru

Location: Packing Vaseline in my frilly boots, I can’t help if it gets in other places.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Back in '00 I had just moved in to a new apartment in North Carolina. I mean really new, not just new to me. The complex was about 90% completed with construction and about 20% leased.

I had also just set up a field office in the area and within minutes of having the phone connected, I get a call from someone who would be very interested in giving me a quote on some new siding. I said that I was most certainly interested in some siding, but I also wanted some sturdy windows and a Spanish tile roof. Twisted Evil

They, unfortunately, did not offer Spanish tile roofing, but they had some red shingles that he was certain would be to my liking, and give a similar look to the Spanish tile. Being easily persuaded, I told him I would consider the shingles, so long as he brought a full set of samples so I could compare and contrast the various options. He asked for my name and address, so I gave him a fake name and the address to my apartment complex's office.

I can't say what happened when the estimator/salesman arrived at the apartments (I wasn't there), but I can imagine that someone in the phone sales room got an ass chewing when he returned. Laughing

“I guess a man is the only kind of varmint sets his own trap, baits it, and then steps in it.” ~ John Steinbeck
Juan Freizwidatt
Associate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

bill2 wrote:
[although this one on the same continent might keep decent hours for their calls back

The problem is, 90% of the time if you call the number shown on caller ID you'll get a message saying that number is not in service. I've done that a few times just to <strike>request</strike> demand they remove me from their list. You can't get through. You can only toy with them if you answer the actual call. And with automated calling it can sometimes take as long as a full minute for someone to actually come on the line after your first 'hello.' Pretty dumb marketing, in my opinion, but that's the way most seem to work.

"HOW DOES IT SOUND TO YOU THAT ANOTHER PERSON IS DEALING WITH YOU AND ASK YOU TO CONTACT ANOTHER PERSON AND NOW YOU SAID THAT YOU WANT TO DEAL WITH THE OTHER PERSON WITHOUT THE KNOWING OF THE PERSON THAT ASK YOU TO CONTACT THE OTHER PERSON"

Safari x 16:
- ATL>DC>ATL>Vegas>Seattle>ATL>San Diego>LA>ATL>Seattle>ATL>WY>ATL>Aspen>ATL (21K+ miles, $11K+ expenses)
Shorty w/bohigal:
- Lagos>Abidjan
Random lads:
- Douala>Korup; Lagos>Cotonou>Parakou; Cotonou>Niger border; Cotonou>Pendjari>jail in Tanguietta; Asaba>Abuja; Accra>Tamale
BearSeason
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Whatever happened to telezappers? They worked wonders back in the day. Are they still effective or have telemarketers figured out how to get around them?

U 2 go fuck yourself ! I don't need the money and stop emailing me please / BASTARD!!!! / fuck ur family
<a href="/forum/donate.php">Where all the cool kids are.</a>
Closed lad accounts x 47 Mortar x 2 x 2 Easter Egg 2013
Flash347
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

they have figured how to get around them. There is a list you can sign up for through the DMCA that is a no call list but only legitimate companies subscribe to it.
BearSeason
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ Well, we're on the Do Not Call list. Unfortuantely, that pretty much gets ignored on a routine basis. We basically just don't pick up the phone for any number we don't recognize. And if the call is really that important, the person will leave a message. That pretty much solves the problem.

U 2 go fuck yourself ! I don't need the money and stop emailing me please / BASTARD!!!! / fuck ur family
Flash347
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

true that works but if you get the company name when they call you can file a complaint on them with the FTC for violating the do not call list.

One of my favorite things to do to them is to bait them and ask questions.
or you can put the phone down and walk away if they are in the script and come back in a few minutes.

Best one that happened to me when I was working at Sears was someone took the phone into the bathroom while they had a bout of explosive diarrhea.
BearSeason
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^ I used to do things like that but then I started noticing that, if you answer the phone, even if you're messing with them, you start getting even more calls. Ignoring the calls makes them stop eventually. Last year, when my husband was actively job hunting and sending his phone number out, we were get about 5-10 unsolicted calls a day. We never answered a single one. Withing a couple of weeks, we weren't getting any.

Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

What you are describing is an increasingly common scam. While technically, there is nothing to stop you from baiting it, (ignoring safe baiting concerns, that is) you won't generally get very far.

These are fairly well-organized scams that hit fast and hard. They usually don't leave voicemails.

In the standard variation, they claim to be from an unspecified credit card company and say they can lower your interest rates. They are looking for people who will respond quickly and ask no questions. The moment you ask what company they represent, ask any questions that suggest you have a clue, or bring up the no-call list, they will often hang up. If you are responsive, they will try to get your credit card number and personal info immediately, and by the time you hang up, they have already passed it on, and someone is probably charging it to the max.

In another variant of the scam , they will actually call your credit card company and ask for a reduced rate, which of course the company will refuse--they will then charge you a hefty fee for their "service".

As far as reporting them to the FTC goes, it's pointless. Of course they don't care about the no-call list. They are not legitimate businesses. They are criminals who are already concealing their true identities, since they obviously could end up facing more than a few little fines. They will use one number for a short time, then will move on to the next phone number, often calling the same phone numbers with each new round.

Here's one of many articles about the scam.
http://moneywatch.bnet.com/saving-money/blog/devil-details/its-a-credit-card-scam-dont-fall-for-it/106/

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We used to get many telemarketers' calls around dinner time.

Whatever they were selling, we did not have.

1. Called talking about waterproofing our basement. I retorted we did not have a basement. (Now everyone in our region at that time had a basement.)

2. Called about cleaning our carpeting/upholstered furniture. My reply was we had hardwood floors and no upholstered furniture.

3. Caller yacked about something to do for a garage; and my comeback was we had no garage.

Hubby told me after all this, one day they will call about roofing the house!

4. Yep, we had a call about re-roofing our house roof. And yep, with a casual tone in my voice retorted "We don't have a roof, we live in a tent" and put the phone down and continued with dinner.

Soon thereafter the DNC law was implemented and it cut down those dinner time marketing calls. However, if it is a business you have done business with, they apparently are legally permitted to call you.

With no landline and a cell phone, any call which pops up UNKNOWN or NUMBER UNAVAILABLE does not get answered and if a 800/866/etc shows up again no answer, same with out of area area codes.

Mortar x5
TV Star
.edu's 260 reported
Click here to support 419Eater.com
US Dropbox

"You people are all Junks" - Miss E. Kabx

"Maybe you are insane as your so called sat..." Barrister Insane

The website below is available for Eater folks to use.
Film & Production Needs
ParaNoid
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have done something similar Morgaine. When ever they call and mangle my name or ask for me by a name I rarely use, I tell them "He died last week" with a real somber tone.

It makes them go away and I rarely get calls like that any more. Twisted Evil

pony pony Closed lad accounts Goat Goat Goat Goat Sand Timer Easter Egg Easter 2015
Mortar x 4 <b>Looking for a Mentor? Click here</b>

"If I get mad at you, please just understand me. I am just being ParaNoid because I love you so much." - unknown

Visit www.scamwarners.com
justicebdone
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

When I saw the Topic title I thought we were going to run a mass bait on Congress and the Senate . . . Twisted Evil

F****** d*** motherf***** if you really sent the f****** money why don't you send the f****** control number at once cos I don't really have the time to f*** around with you anymore....you messed up my own Chritsmas too. Nathan "The Potty Mouth" Hitman

If you dont know you are now the Company Police. The Annoyed Check Lad

BACK the ATTACK
Agent1002
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm not sure if the phone company has a way to filter and replace caller ID, but I had a very pleasant caller ID surprise. The caller ID showed the caller as Card Scam. I took the call just to check and yup, it was an automated call touting lowering my card interest rate. I hung up on the robot and did not press one.

I did not want to inform them what the Caller ID showed.
Very Happy

Internet Security Team

Agent 1002
billykid
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I recently got one of those calls and pressed one. The very helpful gentleman ask about my credit card balance and I told them it was around 12k and I would love to lower my rate. When he ask for the CC number I put the phone down for a couple of minutes and returned to tell him I couldn't find my wallet and I must have left it in the car and would go get it. I put the phone down and went back to watching TV. I checked about ten minutes later and could tell that he was still on the line so I went back to my program. Eventually I just hung it up and I guess he was still on the line because I almost immediately got another call from that number that I didn't answer. A small victory but still a victory.
bearkat419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

whocallsme.com is a useful resource when you get these calls. They let you list the number and post comments - and when another user reports the same number they are linked. Often, additional numbers for the same company are located and occasionally even names/addresses are there. I am still not sure about baiting them - if they are calling you on your home phone associated with your real-life identity, and presumably they are in the States, baiting them is probably a bad idea. But gathering info and reporting them? Definitely a good idea IMHO.

Associate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

whocalled.us is another resource in the same vein. I usually report calls there, then click their handy link to the FCC page to file a formal report if the data shows it's not a legal call under the DNC rules.

Safari x 16:
Shorty w/bohigal:
- Lagos>Abidjan
Random lads:
Bart Fargo
Corporate Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The site whocalled.us doesn't work anymore, expired domain!!

Juan Freizwidatt
Associate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, that's disturbing. Confused

Edit: WHOIS shows another year on the registration:

Quote:
Created: 2005-10-24
Expires: 2012-10-23
Updated: 2011-10-24

It's down now but it must be a glitch.

Safari x 16:
Shorty w/bohigal:
- Lagos>Abidjan
Random lads:
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic