SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Correction re your IP address

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Hugh R Thaar
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I mentioned somewhere on one of the topics about IP addresses on your send emails and I got it wrong so here is clarification:

I use gmail, and if I send using Thunderbird using IMAP, or I send via Outlook using POP, it does send my ip address in both cases - enough to identify my small town.

If I go to gmail on the web and send from there, it doesn't include my local IP and searching for the IP returns an 'unknown'

It seems that using ANY client on your computer, whether using POP or IMAP will include your ip - so if you don't want your town to be known then go with gmail webmail

may heavenly peace be up your valley and nourish your colons and amplify your earthly wealth dear brothers and sisters

Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Most of us use Gmail here.

Madam F**k you with your game ok and dont write to my email or l will track you down with FBI you play with me .

You are nothing but an idiot , You must die by motor accident by fooling with a man that is old enough to be your father .
soon you will writing from your grave .
IDIOT (Barrister after I closed his bank account)

Safari Ch4nt4l Posse-Accra, Ghana > Cotonou, Benin (Co-Bait with GnarlySpoof+psychicbait)
Closed lad accounts x 11 Easter Egg 2011

* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
vonpaso xlura
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Gmail inserts the IP address when you send with SMTP. You can't send with IMAP or POP; those are fetching protocols, and IMAP lets you manage mail folders remotely. You can, with Thunderbird, connect to Gmail through a SOCKS proxy like Tor, and Gmail will put the exit node's IP address in the headers instead of your own. You probably have to use SMTPS for this, as most exit nodes block port 25 (the unencrypted SMTP port).

Gmail does not insert the IP address when you connect with HTTP.

×186
Safari Accra - SH Cotonou
you are a fake people so do not ever write to me again.
Am mad at you right now ... Am tired of your questions ... Am sick and tire you and your bank
Nigerian pig . go swallow a grenade idiot. Boko Haram will solve your problem idiot .
you are big fool by send a fake payment information and never you contact me again asshole .
your passgae bearing your ATM CATD ... Ant Terrorist Certificate ... legal verterbrate ... expartiate your meaning ... gets to your dwaignted address ... successful ofghw transfer
Hugh R Thaar
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ I think you are saying the same as me but in a far better professional way which is more precise, but might 'lose' the readers

Let me try and summarize it in layman's terms:

http means via google webmail >> no home user ip address gets attached

but.... a client on the home computer will add the local ip address

I think the end result of what I was saying is correct - don't send from your PC's client - can you confirm that is so in layman's terms ?

I know about vpn tunnels to free servers etc etc but I am trying to keep it simple for people who just have a pc with a client like Thunderbird or outlook
and don't want their locality to be known - in their case they need to just stick to webmail for send. Can you confirm that is so ?

thanks

Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm just feeling my feet here. Do you mean, rather than send gmail while logged onto Internet Provider, eg AOL, go via IE..?
Ghost
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hugh R Thaar You are correct. Accessing Gmail though a third party client such as Thunderbird or Outlook will include your IP in the Email headers. Accessing Gmail from the web interface will not.

Sand Timer 8/11/07-12/15/08 i am totally a looser -Bruce The trophy machine

Sand Timer 2/25/08-4/10/10 It is going to cost me more this time - Lawrence, EFCC Lad Deck participant

Sand Timer 3/3/08-6/6/10 i know some day you'll send me some real good bucks ok - Byran The Eater Bunny

Sand Timer 3/13/08-3/25/10 i have played my path and now I am waiting for the pay - Wale Wild card
Hugh R Thaar
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ ok we have lift off.

The next step 'on the dark side' would be to use VPN (Virtual private network) to establish a connection with one of the free servers in the UK or Belgium so that the send ip is shown as being in that country.

People do that to access BBC TV etc in the UK which is only available to people with a UK IP address. The UK TV companies are forever trying to block these IP addresses. I 'think' its legal to access TV like that even though the TV companies hate it, but I don't do it in case it isn't legal.

However, sending an email by VPN tunnel to a free European server which offers that connection openly to the public, is a good way to tell a scammer you are in europe.

So long as the server is offering it openly and there is no suggestion of hacking or doing anything illegal, then I would be ok with it

BUT everyone should satisfy themselves with the legality of everything they do before they do it.

On the converse, because this can be done, don't trust that a scammers location is what the IP is telling you because he might be using VPN tunnel to a server in the US for instance.

The guy I have on at the mo is telling me he is off to Saudi on contract. If he uses a Saudi server to contact me then I wouldn't be able to prove to myself that he wasn't there. (He would probably have his mouse amputated for trying that, but I am talking hypothetically)

Be careful, stay legal

Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Also, please keep in mind that even when Web mail is used with GMail, it includes your real timezone information into email headers.

I either use a commercial proxy for scambaiting, or temporary ones, taken from, say, checkedproxylists.com

Just don't abuse the proxies and you'll be fine.

Angel of unrealistic meetings

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

All this seems to be a bit over the top.

I log into www.googlemail.com
www.inbox.com
www.hushmail.com

Have been doing so for 4 years and I aien't dead yet.

none of the above display my IP address, and I've even had the longitude and latitude co-ordinates <-- on display and no ones come knocking.

Mind you, Don disappear shortly after Velocity went gunning for him, can't have been wearing his tinfoil hat correctly.

Oh, and if you do log on most ISP's use dynamic IP addressing so your IP address today is different to yesterdays.

Pith Helmet Halil, Cotonou to Accra
Pith Helmet + Sand Timer Precious 10/08/11
Cellphone x8 Nigeria Spain Mortar x34 Closed lad accounts x 73 Goat
grown up man like him, still doing all this shit games - Stanley, (he doesn't like Parcel Direct)
You again do the strange reflections stuffed with drugs? - Natalia
Sand Timer x3 Hector 24/1/13 Sand Timer Moses 15th Oct 2011
Pretty Rose Sand Timer x 2Mick Ole 11th Sept 2014-16 Sand Timer Asare Akuffo start 4th Aug 2014
Hugh R Thaar
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ I am not too bothered about someone knowing my town for fear of them coming knocking, but it's useful to be able to say you are at Lagos airport on your laptop and you can't phone because you have cleft palate.
I do have a static IP, but using webmail at google solves that problem.
Even a dynamic IP would still be linked to a specific ISP and town I guess ?

Google web mail rules I reckon

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have never ever seen on Eater anyone ever claiming a bait was ruined by the lad figuring out the timing was off on the emails. Laughing

I sometimes think new baiters (and even some experienced ones) might over think things a bit. Plus, even if the lad happen to ask about the time differences, shouldn't a good baiter be able to explain it or deflect from it? Personally, I'd just play dumb.

Quote:
Dear Mr. Lad,

How in the world should I know why the time is off on my emails? Must be cause I could never figure out how to set the internal clock on my CPU. Or maybe it is because we had that huge power outage in our city and the clock at city hall has never been accurate since. Do you want me to spend the next week working on fixing that or working to get you your money?

Love,
Dora

Safari Vcamera Paga John Safari Vcamera Paga Willie Safari Vcamera Paga Kingsley Safari James

Safari The Dynamic Duo Travels! Vcamera Sand Timer
Hugh R Thaar
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would think the Nigerian ones are not even aware of what day it is or know their situpons from their elbows.

I would like to bag a Western one and they are much harder. They speak English which has to make it more of a challenge

I did get one jailed - but he was my boss so it wasn't hard.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic