SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Common lad conventions and phrases

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Capt. Tripps
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey everyone, just thought I'd create this topic because, although I'm sure it's been done before, I think it would be interesting for people to share things they've found in their scambaiting travels.

Common conventions and phrases of the scammers that people have noticed. I remember reading something that Otterfan wrote on the topic.
Here it is; in section 2., and so I won't include any of those unless I feel there's some significance to them.

My scambaiting career has only just begun, but in the course of it and indeed from reading other people's baits, I've noticed some phrases and conventions that the scammers often use, which I'd like to share.
Note: these aren't hard and fast - merely personal observations.

"demand" - I've seen this used many times by the scammer when agreeing to comply with a reasonable request for some ID (*snicker*).
E.g. "Here is the photograph that you demanded".
As native English speakers, we can agree that "demand" is not the same as "request" - but the lads seem to use it interchangeably.

"content is well understood/noted" - Might not seem so odd, but I can't tell you how many times I've seen this phraseology from the lads.
E.g. "I have read your last e-mail and the content is well understood".

"consignment" - This seems to be a blanket term for the non-existant windfall the victim is never going to receive.
Whether it be a cheque, a trunk-box, or whatever, it is often unspecified and simply called "the consignment".

"I will not fail to - Again, not exactly odd, but seems awkward and an unnecessary thing to say - it is possibly just a disparity between languages, however.
E.g. "I will not fail to tell you that..."

"Dearest/Beloved" - I think this is fairly self-explanatory: used in the format, from the get-go it is overly forward and familiar, especially when it's meant to be the words from a barrister
or another person in an official capacity about to discuss a serious business matter.
I understand it is likely another disparity between culture and language, but even so it never ceases to nonplus me when I see it.

As for conventions, here are a few that I've noticed a fair bit since I found this site and got interested in 419.

Names - It is my understanding that in some parts of the world, that names are written with the family name first. West Africa seemingly shares this convention - it is of course alien to me,
but I can respect and understand it.

However, some of the names the lads use when trying to be "westernised", are to someone from a Western country, quite ridiculous.
I've seen two first names used as the full name, for example "Mr. Michael Carl" or "Mrs. Rose Dan" - both very unauthentic, especially considering a prime target of the scammers are rich Westerners.

I've also seen the baiter be addressed by the scammer with no kind of consistency. I remember noticing this for the first time in Shiver's "Road to Nowhere" scambait
where "Matins Davis" would address Max N. Paddy in one e-mail as "Mr Max", then in the next as "Mr Paddy".

Phone calls --> <-- E-mail - The seemingly endless cycle I've noticed in many baits (none of my own so far) is where the scammer will ask the baiter to call them, and then when on the phone the scammer seemingly is unprepared and fumbles for words, asking the baiter then to "send me an e-mail". It seems pointless - though of course it's not because time and resources of the scammer are being taken up.

On this note, the ubiquitous "Listen to me, listen to me" is something worth noting. The scammer says this on the phone, but when the baiter does eventually try to listen, the scammer has nothing to say other than "send the money" or "send me an e-mail".

The lads' telephone etiquette is mostly appaling as well. Talking over the victim, shouting, swearing and even threats of violence are unorthodox behaviour from a seasoned banker or reputable attorney, I think we all can agree. Most unprofessional.

Very little grasp of Western culture - This is not exclusive to lads, I agree, as I would imagine a large percentage of Africans would be unfamiliar with our customs and culture. However, the larger percentage of Africans aren't trying to steal money from us, so they can be excused.
However, I would have thought it would behoove the scammer to be familiar with our culture and customs, to make the scam seem more believable.

I've seen scammers make references to non-existant government departments in the UK and the US; try to bluff their way through questions any "westerner" would know the answer to, and make allusions to things we may regard as outdated or "backward" in our culture.
They seemingly have little grasp on how business is done in the western world, and even less on how to behave as a professional from any country.

Feel free to contribute your own, add your thoughts or opinions - I'd be interested in hearing from more experienced users.
As I've said, this isn't meant to be any kind of guide or anything else definitive - just my own observations and thoughts on some mannerisms of the lads.
EU321
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nice and interesting thread. They also think we have an infinite flow of money.

who are you and what are trying to do? why are you playing with me? JACK 5MITH

WE DON’T PALY HERE, WE ARE TIRED OF YOUR GAMES. United R1vals after 30x MTCN v4ult logins
Fusion Event
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That was a great thread! I hope you update it as you bait more lads Very Happy

And I've just gotten a mail from the silliest of silly names: Papyrus Wax (letter-for-letter). Laughing

Possible safari (unverified). Watch this space
Yastreb
Common Street Thawth Vergabon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Invoices - Lads have no understanding of the concept. Their reaction to being asked for an invoice varies from simple disregard (repeating the demand for money), to being dismissive ("You will get an invoice after payment"), questioning ("What sort of invoice do you mean?"), to angry ("How can you demand an invoice before payment?")

May you never se the end of the year, May you sick and die in JESUS NAME AMEN.
MARK MY WORD, YOU SHALL FALL SICK, IF YOU DONT PLEASE WITH ME, YOU SHALL DIE OF THE SICKNESS, THIS IS MY FINAL WORD TO YOU
I HAVE PLACED YOU UNDER MY ORACLE GODS,
YOU SHALL CRY AND BEG FOR FORGIVENESS OR YOU DIE

United Kingdom x5 Spain New Zealand Senegal Ghana x2 Benin Closed lad accounts x 246
Safari x 5 - Oyenka Chidinma Lagos-Cotonou; Dickyboi Lagos-Accra; Femmy Lagos-Porto Novo; "Woody" Accra-Singapore; Henry Philip Abuja-Natitingou w/MG & DSW
Sand Timer x 7
Capt. Tripps
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Lads must think Americans are stupid. In fact, they must think we're all stupid. There are those that think a lot of Americans are, but considering the size of the country and the amount of people that live in the United States, this is only to be expected.
It's much the same here in England - we have a lot of stupid people. Many 419 victims are indeed Americans - but again this is only logical due to the size of the place and all the people that live there. It is ludicrous to believe that Americans are inherently stupid, as is the belief of far too many.

But anyway, I digress. The point of this post is to partially expand on how I said that scammers don't have much grasp on the West and its culture, and as a result under-estimate would-be victims.

And, as a disclaimer - I am English and not American. This is in no way an attack on any American, whether they be a member here or otherwise. Just want to be 100% clear on that because we're all friends here. OK, here we go.

Are Americans really mugus?

The Robert Mueller FBI compensation scam

I think we've all seen the 419 letters that purport to be from Robert Mueller III, Director of the FBI. Some are better written than others, but they all fall short of being even remotely convincing. The basic drive of the format the scammer sends out is that the FBI are contacting victims of 419 fraud (these, for those who don't know, are often called "anti-scam scams", and are one of the nastiest type of 419 scams there are), in an attempt to offer compensation for moneys lost.

Here is a typical example of the Robert Mueller FBI 419 letter, retrieved from the Surplus Letters board.

Many things are wrong with this - even looking at the header we can see that the e-mail came from "[email protected]". Admittedly, this is a more convincing domain name, as I've seen ones sent from accounts similar to "[email protected]" and other popular webmail providers.
Perhaps more - hate to say it - gullible, people would be taken in by this initially, but as we progress through the body of the e-mail, we can see how silly it really is.

As a note, also: many would-be victims would perhaps not check to see the e-mail address it was sent from, and even less would go into the header (or even know what the header is) and find out where the originating IP (220.130.176.208) actually is located. It is, in fact, Taipei in Taiwan, and not Washington, DC.

Technical knowledge of IPs and e-mail headers aside, when the letter comes unsolicited, beginning with "Attention Beneficiary" (a word which, interestingly enough, I've never once seen spelled incorrectly by a scammer), it's a dead giveaway it's little more than a cold call.
It may also be a dead giveaway if in fact you haven't lost anything to these dogs in the first place - it's possible that these letters only target people who have already fallen victim - but then again, any and everybody is fair game to the lads.

"The Cyber Crime Division of the FBI gathered information from the Internet Fraud Complaint Center (IFCC) formerly known as the Internet Fraud Complaint Center (IFCC) of how some people have lost outrageous sums of money to these impostors."

Something a bit wrong there. And I also doubt that Mr. Mueller would show any kind of personal feelings one way or another towards the scammers. It would be unprofessional of him to do so. Smile

Another thing, and I'm sure this has been brought up countless times: If you have been tracked down by the FBI because you've been defrauded, then why would you then have to provide details about yourself that they should already have? If that isn't a sign that it isn't legit, then I don't know what is.

"...he will be sending you the payment information in which you will use in making payment of $297.00 via Western Union Money Transfer for the procurement of your Approval of Payment Warrant and Endorsement of your ATM Release Order. After which the delivery of your ATM card will be effected to your designated home address without any further delay, extra fee or any authority raising eyebrow."

The usual, "send money by Western Union", after which you will be 100% guaranteed the money you are owed.
Why Western Union? Surely the FBI would have the appropriate means of taking money in, without having to use a 3rd-party company. And anyway, why would you have to pay to receive compensation in the first place? Unfortunately however, for those that have already lost money by sending it overseas by wire transfer, they will be more inclined to do it again in a desperate hope to get back money that they couldn't afford to lose in the first place.

Anybody with any common sense - anybody who has not been scammed but are a target, should have alarm bells ringing and ignore the e-mail. However, on pursuing it, there is a number to call. If Mr. Mueller has his mobile phone switched on, it might surprise the potential victim that he speaks with a West African accent, or a Chinese one, or another foreign accent that isn't American. He also is very unprofessional; talks over the top of the other person, and goes into a mantra about "sending the fee".
Believable? Convincing? Even a little bit? No, no and no.

Dead Presidents

I have a theory that in a lazy attempt to sound genuine, scammers type something like "american names" into a search engine.
Maybe they come across a list of American presidents, because I've seen letters from George Washington, F John Kennedy, Benjamin Franklin and Andrew Jackson. Admittedly, the latter isn't an uncommon American name, but the first two are less believable and should give most Americans pause for thought upon receiving them unexpectedly in their inbox. Especially when it offers them a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to make millions from doing nothing. Suspicious? I think so. Don't give them Abraham Lincoln.

This has been longer than I intended, and maybe a bit off topic for what I started with, but I hope it's kept some of you entertained if only for a few minutes.

I have the full intention to update this with more lad-like tidbits from time to time, but I was really in the mood to just project, and so this longer post is the result of that.
DoraTheExplorer
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Cpt. Tripps wrote:
Lads must think Americans are stupid.

No. Lads do what works. (Well they may think Americans are stupid too. Laughing ) And what you think is stupid, their formats, is making them money from victims. As long as some people DO pay, then that's all that matters, right? It's a numbers game (bomb your format to thousands and get a couple of paying vics) and the fact that a couple hundred dollars in Nigeria is a heck of a lot of money compared to the western world, so they don't need a lot to be doing 'well'.

Quote:
I said that scammers don't have much grasp on the West and its culture...

I am curious. How much do you know about West African culture? Most (not all) baiters don't really have any clue of the scammers' culture until they have spent a while baiting. Personally, I am still learning more all the time and I have been baiting for almost 3 years. Wink

Safari Vcamera Paga John Safari Vcamera Paga Willie Safari Vcamera Paga Kingsley Safari James

Safari The Dynamic Duo Travels! Vcamera Sand Timer
Capt. Tripps
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dora,

You are right in what you are saying. Perhaps saying that the scammers think Americans are stupid was somewhat inaccurate. They are doing what works (unfortunately it does often work), but why else would they call the victims "mugu"? Agreed, it is a game of numbers and out of maybe 1000 e-mails sent out, they may get only 1 or 2 responses. If only one of them comes through with a few thousand dollars, then that's a good day for a lad. But, the mugu is the idiot who believes the story and is going to pay them money.

As well as this, a common factor in I would say the majority of 419 letters is the urgency to keep the "deal" secret and not tell anyone. While this would add an air of secrecy to the morally and legally grey proposition, it's also likely that if a victim told someone else about the proposition, that other person would tell them it's a scam and talk them out of doing it.
I've personally been asked by friends about such letters in their inbox, to which I immediately told them it was a scam and to ignore and delete the message.

Perhaps I am just biased in saying their formats are stupid, because I know it's a scam.

Quote:
I am curious. How much do you know about West African culture? Most (not all) baiters don't really have any clue of the scammers' culture until they have spent a while baiting.

I will be the first to admit that before becoming interested in 419, I knew nothing of West African culture. Furthermore, what I know now is limited to what I've read here and on other sites. I apologise if I came off as condescending, but I believe in the context I was justified in saying it.
And while you have been baiting for just under 3 years, I'll come straight and say I've been baiting a little under 3 weeks. I certainly was not being lofty or arrogant.

True, I know little about West African culture, but I'm not trying to steal money from them so I don't need to. In context, it behooves the lads to be familiar with ours since the majority of their victims are from the western hemisphere. But, as you rightly pointed out, despite this they still manage to steal money from people. If their formats were so unbelievable, this site would likely not exist.
DoraTheExplorer
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey Cpt,

Mugu just means fool and that is their condescending way of looking at the victims of their scams. Certainly it is not directed at Americans or even those of the western world.

Some of the victims are non-English speaking from countries beside US, UK, Canada, etc. (Or they are poor English speaking within the US/UK/Canada.) I find that many of those that fall for the FBI scams are without a good grasp of English.

Many of the common current scams that victims (including English speaking) are falling prey to are the rental/roommate/apartment scams, the Craigslist scams, job scams, loan scam, and romance scams, especially the military romance scam.

Also, many elderly that haven't been on the internet long can easily believe all these scam emails are legit and think they are just helping someone (like with a refugee scam).

So while I do agree that there is a percentage of victims that probably know these scams aren't 100 legit, I think that is a small percentage. And the vast majority are just trying to get a job, get a loan, sell something on CL, find a place to live, or find romance.

Anyways, glad you are here and hope you enjoy baiting and learning more! Very Happy

Safari Vcamera Paga John Safari Vcamera Paga Willie Safari Vcamera Paga Kingsley Safari James

Safari The Dynamic Duo Travels! Vcamera Sand Timer
Capt. Tripps
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Fusion Event wrote:
That was a great thread! I hope you update it as you bait more lads Very Happy

And I've just gotten a mail from the silliest of silly names: Papyrus Wax (letter-for-letter). Laughing

Thanks a lot man. I intend to update it when I notice some more trends with the lads.

And Papyrus Wax, eh? Admittedly a ridiculously funny game - I believe Dunc has set that very chap on the path to righteousness in this thread. Very Happy

Well worth a listen, if you can understand the Glasgow accent.
wowwow
Elite Baiter

Location: Here is the picture of the cash in the boxes before we send it down to the company to deposited it

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Great, another topic on scammer commonalities. If you haven't read my genus post please do Wink

Other things,

Distant relationships: Lads state they are going to adopt you as their God parent .. or even suggest instant marriage.

Assuming a lot of stuff: Lads seem to think that everyone who replies to their bait is either stupid, naive, greedy, lonely or desperate. Which is probably a logical path of thinking, as who else would actually reply to this rubbish.

Gagging for the money: Their goal is the money, they try to bypass all logical formal negotiations, requests for ID, proper processes to get hold of the money. They do actually expect you to go, "ok, I just sent you $10,000 via western union, have a nice day" after their first e-mail.

Laziness: Lads think that they have to do little or nothing to get this money, so are quite reticent to pick up any actual real knowledge to help their scam.

Bastardized Scam scripts: They often use scripts that they adjust to suit their own characterizations, barrister, orphan etc Often the scripts are so strangely worked or reworded to 'fit' their attempted scam that they are ridiculously funny and good fun to pick apart.

Lack of English: Lads think that because they speak 'English' at home, that they are fluent. A west African accent is very easily recognizable. They often try to disguise their voice or sound important (talking in a slower/deeper voice), especially if they are attempting to be a barrister.

I could go on for ages ... Smile

I am the person who owns the safe firm in UK but right now on sick bed for my heart surgery due to my heart failure M Efosa
Tell them to go to hell and burn to arches Prince Jerry Zulusofola
I don’t have job, I am a hacker, hacking jawing stick and Sachet water Udeh Ebuka
http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=162469
Closed lad accounts x5 Easter Egg 2012
Jeannette
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Alright, I've donned my tinfoil hat:

This section of the forum is open to the public = can be read by lads. And right now, we are in the process of educating them. Confused

Entomologist
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

G'Day Cpt Tripps, Smile

I have folders full of emails with; URGENT, RESPONSE IMMEDIATELY, LETTER OF AKNOWLEDGEMENT, REPLY SOONEST.

They often start the email with, "Sir". I don't like to be called "sir". I work for a living.LOL

Sir, how are your families hoping they are sound in health?

Sir, I am very sorry for not hear from me all this days, I went for 14 days prayer and I have return back.

Sir, how are you going with the transaction, did you hear from the bank?

Lotsa' fun they are, keeping in mind they are criminals.

Cheers

Sir, I do not send any money to me because i need it.
Let GOD judge me if this is a trick Sir, this is a trick
So if you are buying the Hubble Space telescope that cost 1,000usd.
EU321
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

When I first read a scam mail on my inbox I got suprised and believed that I really won some 200 000 Dollars then I checked how to get this money and I saw that I needed to pay a fee that's when I found out immediately that I was dealing with criminals because I have never seen this before and it made me suspicious.

I even got suprised when I saw the 419 scam short film on the net about advanced payment fraud because I din't know anything about that. People DON'T KNOW about these things because they are not used to dealing with fraudsters.

But still I can never get it how someone can pay a stranger from email that lives in a strange distant country.

who are you and what are trying to do? why are you playing with me? JACK 5MITH

WE DON’T PALY HERE, WE ARE TIRED OF YOUR GAMES. United R1vals after 30x MTCN v4ult logins
FrumpyBB
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^Never mind, do it, these lists are good. Casual readers / baiting newcomers / internet surfing kids / people browsing their cellphone while waiting for the bus etc. = normal citizens may chuckle about it now but will remember it when they get scam emails themselves even months after and when this happens to a friend/relative, then they can advise them so your starting a topic on mugus here might be worth several tens of thousands potentially saved dollars already Very Happy

Safari Dan the lotto man, ARK mugu wedding
Safari Dennis the hitman, co-bait w/ Murry Guru
Safari Zake (w/ SH, SL & Craig)
Safari x 5 Modeling Mugu Meeting, w/ mewing_ghecko & Otterfan & SSC
Safari x 2 another MMM w/ SH
Safari x 13 Later shows and trips for the benefit of M00seknuckle, incl. the 0budu Fact Finding Mission

Come to our Eater University Baiting Tutorials Hello Kitty! pony Cos you deserve it. Smile Mortar x5 Closed lad accounts x50+ Sand Timer x 4 -- T.W.A.T Goat Easter Egg 2013
Wright B Hindyou
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

EU321 wrote:
Nice and interesting thread. They also think we have an infinite flow of money.

And hence it isn't stealing.

Because: Infinity - Any Amount = Infinity.

Nice thought, but actually, Lads couldn't care how much money you have as long as they can take it all.

Most Lads would skin a wet fart with a blunt knife if they thought there was a dollar in it.

They are not people who waste a second thinking about their victims; they are 100% self-centered, and their mails reveal this.

Mess up a WUxfer and see how quick the Lad accuses you of defrauding him.

"bastard like you, I will kill you with my hand, son of nobody. May your soul rust in help." - Titi Andrew

"I trusted you very much without knowing that you are a drug addit person" - Emma Bambara

"THIS YOUR BEHAVIOR IS IRELEVANT AND CROSPOLOS CARACTER" - Madam Clarrise Keita.

"you must speak beter because we dont train mad people in this company." - Incredible Self-Baiting Pastor Joe
wowwow
Elite Baiter

Location: Here is the picture of the cash in the boxes before we send it down to the company to deposited it

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Jeannette wrote:
Alright, I've donned my tinfoil hat:

This section of the forum is open to the public = can be read by lads. And right now, we are in the process of educating them. Confused

Hehe, lads reading and educating themselves, not likely. Wink
Actually might be good to move this post behind the login.
I'd also like to add

Lad are criminally minded: They think like criminals and aim to be devious at every turn. Do not expect your lad to care if they are taking a dollar off a pauper a dying person or a child, they will do.

Lads are (bad) liars: Lads come up with excuses and reasons for everything and are often artful liars. They can be caught in a lie but often try to cover them up with feeble excuses. If you don't believe them then they often try to brush it off or drop you. Baiters should aim to force them to lie and watch them expand the lie over time.
Good examples of this in Yastrebs chats.

Lads are religious: Believe it or not most lads are religious. How they excuse their behavior within the bounds of their religion don't ask. The commandment 'Though shall not steal' seemingly doesn't apply to them.

Lads are desperate: Don't imagine most lads are driving around in brand new BMW's. There may be one or two who pulled off a good scam but your average Joe Scammer doesn't have a pot to piss in. They are also tight as hell when it comes to spending money on anything. Forcing them to borrow money to travel or for phone calls/internet time may be the best way to dissuade them.

Lads are arrogant: Most lads hold themselves in high esteem and the more arrogant ones seem to try more ambitious type scams. Usually when you respond to a lad you are passed on to a higher level lad for the sell. These higher level lads tend to be the most arrogant.

Lads feel untouchable: Unfortunately this may be true as the arrest rate for lads in all countries is very ow. This is why it's a popular crime as they hardly ever get caught. Hopefully one day this will change.

I am the person who owns the safe firm in UK but right now on sick bed for my heart surgery due to my heart failure M Efosa
Tell them to go to hell and burn to arches Prince Jerry Zulusofola
I don’t have job, I am a hacker, hacking jawing stick and Sachet water Udeh Ebuka
http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=162469
Closed lad accounts x5 Easter Egg 2012
PsycheDelia_Smith
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The lads I've managed to engage in conversation about what they do and how they justify it see themselves as heroes, and they have this self-image mainly because the successful guy man is a respected figure in the areas of Nigeria where 419 abounds. They don't think they're stealing because they believe the westerners stole resources from Africa and they are simply taking it back.

Whether they actually believe this or not is irrelevant, since putting up this psychological shield allows them to ignore the very biblical commandment that would prevent them doing it. This "getting it back for Africa" may have more merit if they were't just taking it back for their rotten selves, to blow on prostitutes, gambling and fancy cars. And of course it ignores the millions of dollars sent in aid from westerners, by charitable donation and government aid. Go tell a lad that.

The successful guymen tend to operate in gangs, sharing the booty, with the Oga taking the lion's share of course. There are far too many successful geemen. The less successful chancers are easy to spot and often the easiest to bait, but even they score sometimes. If it wasn't still paying well, these buggers wouldn't be still doing it.

Phrases I like include "Calvary greetings" and "do not entertain any atom of fear". I never tire of being told to "forgive my indignation if this message may come to you as a surprise since we do not know ourselves".

"I am now completely twatted and shagged and will obey all your instructions to the fullest."-"Tosser" Oguguo

Golden Pith "Frankily speaking,I wouldn't want to travel to the far east again."-Edward Smith, Lagos-Singapore (14600 miles round trip via Dubai)

9x Safari 4 x Lagos-Accra , 3x Port Harcourt - Ibadan, 1x Lagos-Singapore, 1x Burkina-Bamako
Netherlands Nigeria Ghana South Africa
Sand Timer'Ed', 3 yrs 8 mnths Sand Timer'Oguguo',6 years and 4 months
Capt. Tripps
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

While I agree this may be educating the lads, it's also educating ordinary people who may otherwise be taken in by a 419 scam.

Even so, if a mod would see fit to move this to another section that requires a log in, then that would maybe not be a bad idea, on the off-chance a lad was to stumble across this thread.

It's actually interesting though, how religious the lads are. They steal for a living, in direct contravention to one of the 10 holy commandments.
The distorted justification - "taking back what is owed" - is nonsense and a cop-out for their criminalistic behaviour.

I thought at first that perhaps that the lads were simply acting religious to appear genuine and decent, but from what I've seen they actually do seem to know the Bible quite well and often make allusions to God and Providence in their e-mails.

I do actually find it hard to believe that the lads could indeed be religious, when they commit sins on a daily basis. Perhaps they are indeed using it as a psychological shield to divert their guilt from their crimes. Maybe they feel that praying and reading the Bible makes up for their behaviour. For me, the jury's still out on that one.
Tuco
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I get a laugh out of how they use the term "ok" at the end of a lie.

"I am an Englishman and this is legitimate business, ok."
"This is not a scam, ok." Etc., etc.

It must have something to do with their way of making a point in their native language and in pidgin.

"Thanks for giving me a nauthy number that preys unit like a hungry lion." - Alise Kar1m
"I have called you more than 20 times but non of the calls went through." - Williams C0ker
"I've said in my previous mail that I do not understand English." - Cabinet Bad0u
"PLEASE MY CHAIRMAN, I AM NOT GREEDY, I LIKE TO WORK WITH YOU, I HAVE LOST MANY OF MY JOBS , PLS PLS PLS, I WILL WORK HARD WITH U." - Dr. Lui$ James
"There are two kinds of people in the world, my friend."
Closed lad accounts x8 (Thanks Corona)
Pretty´s Darling
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tuco wrote:
I get a laugh out of how they use the term "ok" at the end of a lie.

"I am an Englishman and this is legitimate business, ok."
"This is not a scam, ok." Etc., etc.

It must have something to do with their way of making a point in their native language and in pidgin.

You are right. I´ve noticed that too.

Also "I love you ok". "You are a beautiful woman ok".
Morgain Le Fay
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Recently when making a call for another Eater member, I used the "Ok, Ok, Ok" lad format as a stalling technique.....and their "send an email" -- I just used the stuff they say and parroted it back to the lad.

Mortar x5
TV Star
.edu's 260 reported
Click here to support 419Eater.com
US Dropbox

"You people are all Junks" - Miss E. Kabx

"Maybe you are insane as your so called sat..." Barrister Insane

The website below is available for Eater folks to use.
Film & Production Needs
next victim
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Cpt. Tripps wrote:

It's actually interesting though, how religious the lads are. They steal for a living, in direct contravention to one of the 10 holy commandments.
The distorted justification - "taking back what is owed" - is nonsense and a cop-out for their criminalistic behaviour.

I thought at first that perhaps that the lads were simply acting religious to appear genuine and decent, but from what I've seen they actually do seem to know the Bible quite well and often make allusions to God and Providence in their e-mails.

I do actually find it hard to believe that the lads could indeed be religious, when they commit sins on a daily basis. Perhaps they are indeed using it as a psychological shield to divert their guilt from their crimes. Maybe they feel that praying and reading the Bible makes up for their behaviour. For me, the jury's still out on that one.
I tend to think they are exploiting that whole religion thing. They've seen the missionaries and such that were there to do things for the people. Using some God makes it easier to scam the religious types.

Sand Timer Hana, Flip It, G spot, Rosy, Cynthia
Cellphone - web store
Just read the posting on Eater. You are one sick motherf****r! Smile-Alan
"The skull with bunny ears was a good enough warning" - Nailgunner
mentors- http://forum.419eater.com/forum/cherrie_mentor_program.php
This Derick moral monster! From http:/ /scamnewss.wordpress.com/2011/10/14/derrick-ratt-scammer-beware/ Vlad blog
http://tinyurl.com/btf7872 - Toolbox
Capt. Tripps
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

One thing that always makes me smile is when the lads are so vague in their e-mails.

Examples:
    "I am a seasoned banker with one of the leading banks here in <insert any city>"
    "I found your name/email from a site"
    "All modalities...All necessary documents..."
    "the security company"
    "the diplomat"

Some other miscellaneous lad phrases and conventions:

"stated above" - I see this all the time, when something is below the lad always says above. Language gap, I imagine, but still commonplace among lads.

"to the tune of" - When mentioning the amount of money safely deposited.
E.g. "I have money safely deposited to the tune of $20,500,000"

"Only" - Always like this one. After stating the figure, such as $20,500,000, the lad will write in brackets (Twenty Million Five Hundred Thousand Dollars Only). They don't always write "Only" on the end, but I always find it amusing when they do.

"please" - Like "ok", "please" is often used excessively in an e-mail, often at the beginning of every sentence.

CAPS - I hate this so much. A lot of scammers type their e-mails entirely in capital letters. So, if terrible spelling and grammar wasn't bad enough, it's all in capitals as well.

() - I've seen lads use brackets quite a lot in their e-mails.
E.g. "I just got a call from the security company (Security Trust Company) saying..."
"Please send me an email at: (<insert scammer e-mail address>)

Loans at 2% APR - 90% of the loan scams I have seen offer this incredible interest rate.
Entomologist
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Happy Eighth Birthday to All.Very Happy Laughing happy crowd Dancing Banana jump_4_joy clapping

Risky free, how many times does that turn up?

Lads maybe purchase scripts to set up their scams. Some scripts are good. Others are woeful.

YOUR ADEQUATE AND URGENCY IN RESPONSE WILL AS WELL ASSIST OUR ACCOUNTING INTELLECTS TO DISBURSE YOUR WINNING FUND TO YOU IN NO TIME APPROPRIATLY WITHOUT ERRORS OF OMMISSION OR COMMISSION.

The auther of the script has tried I suspect to compose the above with the aid of a thesaurus. Inserting words with related meanings. If he knew the accurate meanings of the words, this para would not be so badly compiled. Its a poor attempt to give it integrity and have it appear dignified. Yet people will be fooled by such unconvincing scripts. Those victims also have driver's licences.

Taken from the Toyota lotto scam (email has UK as originator, false of-course.)

Cheers Smile

Sir, I do not send any money to me because i need it.
Let GOD judge me if this is a trick Sir, this is a trick
So if you are buying the Hubble Space telescope that cost 1,000usd.
BearSeason
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Fantastic discussion started... however:

Quote:
True, I know little about West African culture, but I'm not trying to steal money from them so I don't need to. In context, it behooves the lads to be familiar with ours since the majority of their victims are from the western hemisphere.

I have to disagree with this. If lads would need to familiarize themselves with Western culture in order to stay ahead of their victims, wouldn't it benefit us baiters to familiarize ourselves with West African culture in order to stay ahead of them. Know thine enemy and such?

Sorry if this is off topic.

U 2 go fuck yourself ! I don't need the money and stop emailing me please / BASTARD!!!! / fuck ur family
<a href="/forum/donate.php">Where all the cool kids are.</a>
Closed lad accounts x 47 Mortar x 2 x 2 Easter Egg 2013
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic