SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Can Lads get personal data from a file you sent?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
419Bob
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Can Lads get personal data from a file you created and sent from your computer? If I look at the properties a file created on my machine it contains data like owner and computer. Is it safe to create documents and then rename the extension so that are corrupt and won't open or will the original file data ie owner and computer names be available?
TwentyPercentCooler
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you're using Windows the most they can get is your username if you're editing a file. Just create a new user account with the same fake name as your character (or any other fake name.)

As far as I know there's no way any sensitive information about you can leak out beyond that and the model of the camera you use if you take photos.

Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh Crap! Then they have my full name coz that's my username!!
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I assume you use Windows...

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/docscrubber.html

Drop that lad and carry on.

Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks. Yip, windows. That doc scrubber is kool for word docs. This opens the question about whether all docs including pdf's made with cute pdf, jpgs and what about renamed dll's or pdf's renamed to tif etc carry username info?
TwentyPercentCooler
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah, I never use my real name when I install a new version of Windows for any account. You just never know. Should I be admitting this here? If you've accidentally given your real name away then you'd better drop that lad before pissing him off too much, assuming he's even smart enough to figure out where to find your details.

If you've got a copy of Photoshop then go to File>File Info you'll be astonished how much information can be hidden inside an image file. And you'll be delighted how much false and misleading crap you can add (whole addresses!)

You can read more about that here: http://www.iptc.org/cms/site/index.html?channel=CH0099 I doubt lads will have access to such software and I doubt they'll know how to find that information if they do. Most of their image editing looks like it's done with a combination of MS Paint and crack.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm not sure, I haven't used Windows for some time. I think the information that TwentyPercentCooler gave was pretty solid, create a new user account for baiting and creating documents.

99.99% of lads have no idea on how to check for that information, I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

If you want to send a lad a ton of fake garbage head over here...

http://www.xnet.se/fd/

You can name the extension anything you want.

Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you're really concerned why not create a whole new computer: http://www.virtualbox.org/ although that's a bit overkill when you dealing with retarded e-mail scammers and not master cyber criminals. Just create a new account with a fake name and you should be fine.

Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I know many people worry about privacy and security online especially as lads are criminals but we have to be realistic in how far we actually need to go to protect ourselves.

Obviously real email, home address etc are a big no no, but things like having a computer user name in a file really isnt going to be an issue.

Motivation, if you look at lads and the various types of scam we deal with many will just call you a joker and not send you any more email. Others will write a nice load of abuse to you, sig material.

Now thats the basic straight baits, so lets look at the other end of things - you get a lad maimed by branding or a tattoo - well he might have a bit more incentive to want to do you some harm, he is in most likelyhood walking round with a permanant reminder of his own stupidity. Would knowing your computer has an account called "user" really aid in his revenge?

Then there are the big organised gangs, and say you cost them millions when you scrap one of there plans? They would probably attack ALL scambaiting sites themselves rather than try to track you down.

REAL DANGERS: viruses, lads computers might well be infected with viruses, some idiots think that is a way to deal with lads, firstly its illegal, secondly as the lads are still there going strong that obviously does not work, be careful what lads send you - SCAN IT - they might accidently or deliberately send you a nasty - this is a real danger.

IP - If your dealing with someone from the russian/italian/balkaan mafia then having a visible ip is probably not the best idea, they could pay someone in the FSB / TELS to track it. You would of course have to really do something big for them to bother. I have yet to read a post with "mafia don gets tattoo"

In reality what happens - you get no response, a mail cannot be sent, virus, abuse.

I make software that drives lads crazy. Thats my revenge on lads. (it all helps)

this transaction is 100 percent risk/hitch free - bobo

why no pay me - abum bello
because the cops will know it was you - me
ok this is good - abum bello
TwentyPercentCooler
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The anonymous browser/Vidalia <a href="https://www.torproject.org/download/download.html.en">here</a> solves the ip problem. I use Tor via Vidalia and Firefox's Torbutton plugin (configuring Opera, my favorite browser, to use Tor is rather troublesome.) There's a simple solution to every problem.

And remember Tor (onion routing) is not just a standalone proxy server but a full fledged routing encryption system in which the source and destination is hidden at each node. Nobody can track you along the way.

Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

But yeah, metatdata can be a bitch if you're baiting the big people: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ld7yrzlIhi1qzy4odo1_400.png (sound of trombone.)

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have to agree with Frank. Most really don’t have time or intellect to gather such information. Just learn and move on.

It’s probably best to bait as safe as possible, but mistakes are made, but this is a minor mistake.

On motivation, I have gotten the most mental torment from mugus who really believed no matter how bizarre the excuse. And believe me I have came up with completely insane excuses. The bottom line, if they believe they will not check the file.

Bait safe!

"Any money you send to Africa to receive your payment is at your own risk " David Mark

over 1,000 fakes deaded since Oct 2005. This is my current rampage! Mortar x6 Easter Egg 2011 Purple Flower
419Bob
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks to all of you for your comments and advice. I'll look into all this a bit deeper. I would like to believe it but somehow I doubt that all lads are retarded and I guess it is better to be safe than sorry after all I am surrounded by them.
419Bob
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have noted all your suggestions and I agree so probably the only thing I will need to do is use another username! Problem solved. Let's get on with baiting. I got a great first one going now after nearly botching it by sending a fake MTCN without a backup plan, but we seem to be going along swimmingly now thanks to all the ideas and advice on this forum. Thanks Guys and Gals!! BTW Does anyone know statistically how many baiters are girls (really, not characters)? It would be great to see who makes the better baiters (is this worth another thread?).
D11
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Have you ever tried to meet one of the eater ladies?

Your in real trouble if they say "meet me at 7" hehehe

I make software that drives lads crazy. Thats my revenge on lads. (it all helps)

this transaction is 100 percent risk/hitch free - bobo

why no pay me - abum bello
because the cops will know it was you - me
ok this is good - abum bello
Morgain Le Fay
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
BTW Does anyone know statistically how many baiters are girls.........? It would be great to see who makes the better baiters

IMHO I don't think it really matters in the scheme of things because baiters use all kinds of techniques and who is to say that one gender is better than the other at baiting? And I don't think there is a "test" to define who is better.

Whatever type baiting a male or female is using doesn't matter. What matters is wasting the scammers' time so they don't have time to pursue RL victims.

Mortar x5
TV Star
.edu's 260 reported
Click here to support 419Eater.com
US Dropbox

"You people are all Junks" - Miss E. Kabx

"Maybe you are insane as your so called sat..." Barrister Insane

The website below is available for Eater folks to use.
Film & Production Needs
buried under 419 emails
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Broda

eater chicks rock! one love! (Marley inspired post)

"Any money you send to Africa to receive your payment is at your own risk " David Mark

over 1,000 fakes deaded since Oct 2005. This is my current rampage! Mortar x6 Easter Egg 2011 Purple Flower
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic