SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Security Breach at 419Eater?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
DirkStruan
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've been going through this website for a couple weeks now and fell in love with it and wanted to give it a try.

As advised I set up a fake e-mail account to start baiting and have gotten many solicitations in the past couple of days.

However today I got an e-mail in my personal inbox that was clearly a 419 scam but for some reason was not pitched to my spambox... I found the timing odd. Going through my spambox I have found only 2 other 419s in the past 3 years so I thought it could be more than just a coincidence.

Here is where it gets weird-
The scammer used my name and the supposed victim of the scam also had the same last name as me. Granted my e-mail is of the firstname_lastname variety so its not that far-fetched.

I did not use my real e-mail for anything on this site so I don't see the connection between 419Eater and the recent e-mail.

Anyhow, I was hoping for advice. Can I bait this guy or should I just drop him? Maybe use my bait e-mail to act as my attorney or is that too dangerous??

Please advise....
next victim
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

When in doubt, BAIL OUT! Stay safe!
Dr Mike
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As next victim pointed out, you should not bait this lad. But you probably already figured that out yourself.
But i doubt that there is any connection with you signing up to 419eater. It is most likely a coincidence. I have been a member for over a year and i haven't gotten a single spam or scam mail to my box.

SafariX 24 Random safaris
SafariX 12 Welcome to Sweden
SafariX 9 Chadian minister of tourism project
SafariX 9 Rame Head pilgrimage
Golden Pith Rame Head 2013
Globe Globe of Gluttony
Golden Pith CBC Documentary Safari
Ima Baeder
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi, DirkStruan.

It's just a coincidence and not in any way connected to your membership here.

Quote:
The scammer used my name and the supposed victim of the scam also had the same last name as me. Granted my e-mail is of the firstname_lastname variety so its not that far-fetched.

It sounds like the scammer pulled your info from somewhere for a directed scam attempt. It happens plenty of times. Have you done a search for your email address? Where does it show up online? What have you used it for? Scammers buy lists for spamming their scripts.

See this article for more info: http://krebsonsecurity.com/2011/04/where-did-that-scammer-get-your-email-address/

You can probably safely bait the script by just copying it over to your baiting account and changing the name in the script to match your baiting character since he's sure to have sent it out to a bunch of people, but it's safest to just ignore it. There are thousands of scam emails to choose from for baiting.

Star Mugu Reseller Mortar Closed lad accounts x 100 Sand Timer 2 Years Pretty Rose Mc Fry Mc Fry Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Flying Monkey Easter Egg 2011

Last edited by Ima Baeder on Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
DirkStruan
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It just seems weird to me. Have any of you gotten scams with your name like that and the "dead" relative also has your name?
Ima Baeder
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've seen it happen plenty of times. It's just a scammer trying to be clever and customizing the script to match your address or info where your address was scraped from.

Star Mugu Reseller Mortar Closed lad accounts x 100 Sand Timer 2 Years Pretty Rose Mc Fry Mc Fry Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Flying Monkey Easter Egg 2011
next victim
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I keep a bait file with my IRL addy. My name is on most every one of them. I fwd. to my baiter acct. and only use the reply addy to compose a new mail with.
conga22
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

One of the lads I've got on the go at the moment sent his initial script (in letter form) to both my mother and my brother, using their names and a fictional deceased relative. I never received the original letter and I can only think that is because I am ex-directory (not listed) in the phone book. It's not that uncommon.

There is a lot of spaces in the receipt for them to put their stamp, so why do they put the stamp on the 10 digital codes, and you know that without the correct number ,western union here cannot issue out the payment. (I know Laughing)
When i tell you how to do things well you will do the opposite Why?-Joseph D1ar4
Closed lad accounts X60 X3
Tattoo Vcamerawatch video here Safari Lagos to Cotonou - thanks Mr. Grant

Mortar Japan Portugal United Kingdom x4 Easter Egg 2012
wasname
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

DirkStruan wrote:
I've been going through this website for a couple weeks now and fell in love with it and wanted to give it a try.

Here is where it gets weird-

I did not use my real e-mail for anything on this site so I don't see the connection between 419Eater and the recent e-mail.

I've often found that trying to sign up for a perfectly normal gmail or hotmail account for a plausable name (fred smith, peter white, or even my wifes name and surname), is impossible since someone has got them. My surname is not common. So lets say a spammer wants to find out if a fred smith exists on hotmail, he can simply try to create a [email protected]. If hotmail wont let him create it, then he knows [email protected] is used, so he can email Fred Smith and know he has the right names. I'm not sure if scammers do that, but it is perfectly possible they do.

Another option for them might be to email all common fornames combined with all common surnames. You can bet if you take a common name like Fred, Peter, Mike, then it will almost certainly exist with any common surname. Using a dot or underscore to sepparte them is very common.

If your account is more private, such as specific to a small ISP, I'd be more surprised and concerned, but with hotmail, gmail, yahoo etc, it would be easy for an intelligent scammer to get sensible names and emails.

wasname
View user's profileSend private messageAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerSkype Name
buried under 419 emails
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have gotten them with my name, and names of friends, its really creepy. I understand the concern, but I think you’re safe. Still don’t feel compelled to bait it

I have also gotten overused formats from scammers, PM'ed to me here before, It’s not really creepy just weird.

A lyric in a song reminds me of baiting “what a long strange trip it’s been” ..

"Any money you send to Africa to receive your payment is at your own risk " David Mark

over 1,000 fakes deaded since Oct 2005. This is my current rampage! Mortar x6 Easter Egg 2011 Purple Flower
DirkStruan
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks everyone.
AlanShore
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I created a new email adress for this website 3 days ago, I did not use it anywhere else that 419eater and already 6 scams !!!

Incredible, but I think it's stupid if they actually hack here to scam people that are well aware of it...

It should be a coincidence...

Alan Shore: And I'm such a slut for authority.
---
Sally: Is that fair?
Alan Shore: I don't understand the question.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic