SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Craiglist travel rep job scam

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
chestnut
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

i remembered this one and decided to dig it up from my mail... the truth is that i have still no 100% proof its a scam but i am quite certain. and i was really close to falling for it, scanning my docs etc...

basically, a job ad on Craigslist said there is a travel representative job, it was written ok. altho, on hindsight, what kind of a well known (American Express?) travel agency seeks for reps from CL, it was without direct contact info and names...(first flag)

anyway, i replied and sent my CV (yeah, with my name and address...). Kristen Thomas replied and didnt bother commenting on my CV or whatever else i wrote (2nd flag), just repeated the requirements and told me to fill their application forms and get back to me.

her email is below:

----
from Kristen Thomas [email protected]
to xxxxxx
date Tue, May 3, 2011 at 3:05 PM
subject RE: American Travel Rep
mailed-by gmail.com
signed-by gmail.com
hide details May 3
Hello xxx!

Thank you for getting in touch. We appreciate your inquiry. Attached is more information regarding employment with American Exp...

The position you are interested in requires proficient English in both reading and writing and basic internet technology skills. If selected, you will be responsible for coordinating travel accommodations for travelers based from your country of origin. We are a company that takes a much different approach in our marketing and operational strategies, so we want to focus on assisting high-end travelers from Turkey in the U.S. The best way to do this is by providing them with a representative they are comfortable with and can relate to. You would be responsible for showing them around the D.C. area and assisting in whatever accommodations they may need.

Once you fill out the application and necessary documentation, we will determine whether you meet the qualifications for this position. We also would like to interview with you over the telephone and in person, in the D.C. Area. We will provide you with a pre-paid debit Visa card, so you can arrange your own transportation to the U.S. or pay for other expenses. I will also contact you via-phone and we can discuss further details.

To be considered for this position you must have a valid:
-Passport
-Drivers license/identification card
-Proof of address (utility bill)

These documents need to be scanned and sent via e-mail to: [email protected].

We have been in business for the last 10 years and are very well known in the area. Any questions please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Again, thank you for your inquiry and best of luck!

Kristen Thomas: Human Resources
American Express Travel, LC
1500 21st St, Washington DC, DC 20036
+1 240.446.6084
-----------------------

pretty much a dream job and dream come true? so why would they require my passport and utility bill at this point? i admit it was my boyfriend who noted that with passport copy and utility bill a scammer can create a credit card at the bank, probably not through official ways but anyhow.

the 2 pdf-forms they attached were a bit pathetic which was another warning sign. at this point i googled the company, AE travel LC. however the logos in the applications and her signature company name were not a perfect match or something, AE website was not looking for representatives and the address didnt match if i remember correctly. the forms were real but old looking and only asking for my address and birthdate pretty much, definitely not enough info to decide if someone is a good canditate for a job. also i couldnt find Kristen via google, working at AE or anywhere else, oh and yea, she is using gmail... ehm.

i think thats the point where i had to give up and admit i had not found the job of my life. but damn that was close!

just wanted to share.
Loki66
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Another flag, and usually a big one, is the use of gmail, hotmail, yahoo, whatever as an email. Any big company (and most all 'real' companies) have their own domain and email. You would have to wonder why an established company would resort to gmail to handle all their email for them.

-Pastor Rebecca

THANKS FOR YOUR ANTICIPATED COPERATION WHILE YOU ASK YOUR SELF WHEATHER YOU ARE TELLING US THE TRUTH OR ARE YOU AN IMPOSTOR?
- Mr Edwards Robert- Lotto Paying Dept
Jeannette
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm just guessing:

The scammer has got hold of phished credit/debit card details and needs someone to use them so nothing leads back to him.

He will put you in contact with his alter egos who will demand fees to be paid. No problem, the scammer has promised you the use of a card! Once the real owner of the card finds out, you will be confronted by the bank and the police.

In this case, the requested utility bill etc. would be a red herring.

EDIT: Please post the email including the full header (even if it is gmail) over at www.Scamwarners.com for the experts to have a look at it.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic