SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

American vs British accent

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
MrFigaro
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hugh Laurie, Linus Roach, Gary Oldman, Tim Roth and a few others come to mind when I think of British people doing an American accent. Each one of them surprised me when I found out they were not Americans. On the other side, Renee Zellweger is really the only American doing a British accent with any real success that I can think of.

So, my question is, is it easier for a Brit to do an American accent or an American to do a British accent?

Also, can anybody from the UK tell us what, if any, Americans fooled them when they found out they were not British.

- "My Drunk Kitchen"
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Apart from the obvious (Gawd blimey Mary Poppins'!) my favourite Yank doing a British accent is Gwyneth Paltrow in sliding doors. I think her vocal chords are in her nose.

Those actors you mention, doing American accents grate with me a little. Are they really that accurate? Maybe it's because I know what they sound like speaking normally.

If it's LADS you want. GoTo: http://www.yopmail.com/
and sign in with either ladmail or kentbrockman
Phil Yerboots
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Christopher Guest and Michael McKean in Spinal Tap do excellent British accents - even giving their characters a bit of regional inflection as well.

"You are sick and need medical attention. I just realised." Pee
luckey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I was in Germany a few weeks ago. I got tired of watching BBC, one of the very few channels in English, so I watched Brave Heart dubbed in German (which I don't speak a word of).. In the regular version, Gibson speaks with an excruciating Scottish brogue. Now I'm wondering if the dubbed version was German with a Scottish accent. Is that even possible?

Jim Morrison
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

having travelled trough both countries quite a lot, what do you mean by British or American accent? there are hundreds

Easter Egg 2011 Closed lad accounts x56 GermanyBenin x2 United States x6 Malaysia x2 Portugal x2 Spain x4 United Kingdom x22 United Arab Emirates x2 GhanaChinaNigeria x2 Thailand thanks to Dora and the rest of the site killing team x4 <-- Alott@ Fag1na Asian Foods, Inc. x13 <-- Hump a t0n Infl@table Dolls & Co. x18 Cellphone Cellphone website x2
<a href="/forum/donate.php">[naked women here]</a>
Safari BRUIN's WIMP Modality, Lomé - Accra
have i offended you before on why you do this to me?
God go hammer all your generation. say
amen. - reverend
are you joking or your tormentor? (I am tormentor Twisted Evil )
Gommer basterd your mama is a prostitute, am a full niger delta boy and i must bomb your mamas toto with ak47 riffle...
Nanny Ogg
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I was very surprised to find out James Doohan wasn't Scottish

hahahahahahaha
Orange Rose3
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

luckey wrote:
I was in Germany a few weeks ago. I got tired of watching BBC, one of the very few channels in English, so I watched Brave Heart dubbed in German (which I don't speak a word of).. In the regular version, Gibson speaks with an excruciating Scottish brogue. Now I'm wondering if the dubbed version was German with a Scottish accent. Is that even possible?

Hi there Luckey
to be honest, the dubbed version just sound so real to us. no scottish accent as far as I now. (we wouldnt know it anyway, as it is hard to pick an accent in another language)
It is funny, not long ago I have seen "the pelican brief" in english, and the voices sounded so strange. The 'german voice' of Julia Roberts and Denzel Washington sounded much more real then the original ones.. lol....

Another little while ago, I saw a beautifull Swiss movie dubbed in high german. It was 'awful'. Didnt relize before how much difference it makes.

Funny
Orange Rose

"i need money so bad sugar, can you help me out my son must not die please help me"

"oooooh my life is down, you are heartless and wicked..i wish i never meet you" (Ex-fiancé)
Asena
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Connie Booth in Fawlty Towers and also in Romance With A Double Bass; would have sworn blind that she was British.

Anyone a fan of Lloyd Grossman's for real accent? Laughing

Have always loved Paul Gambaccini's sexy voice/accent ... drawl/drool Very Happy

Goat Golden Goat Closed lad accounts x 40 Easter Egg 2011 x 249
Cellphone x 2
Cellphone webstore x 1

Click here to JITSAMA - acronym invented by Tsnerd
Flying Monkey
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^ Gillian Anderson can switch seamlessly from one accent to another.
She grew up in north London, but moved to the US in her early teens and managed to retain the English accent.

The problem most US actors have when doing an English accent, is they think, or are trained to speak like we are all dead posh or cockney w**kers. Nobody I know sounds like either of the extremes you hear mimicked. Laughing

The Queen, is another one. Nobody talks like that. Confused Laughing

If it's LADS you want. GoTo: http://www.yopmail.com/
and sign in with either ladmail or kentbrockman
lakeside77
A chaff in the USA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Meryl Streep can do any accent and I was impressed by her British one in The French Lieutenant's Woman.

Not all of them (British or American) pull it off. I remember Michael Caine was less than convincing as a Southerner in Hurry Sundown. Conversely, I thought Julia Roberts should have worked a little harder on her Irish accent in Michael Collins.

Closed lad accounts x26 Easter Egg 2012 United KingdomNigeria x3 Thailand x2 Guinea BissauBeninGermanyNetherlands
Sand Timer Father Frank

I must let you know that am sick and tired of all this whole bull sheet do you know my ass is on the line - Jonh Raymund

i want to say i am very sorry for the Mother that gave Barth to you -- Jim Ovie

. . . it is disrespectful,malicious, an ILEDAN EYE,to our corporation and embarrassing to my secretary as he was messed up by your action. I thought I was assisting a true American gentleman without knowing that I am trying to help one of the most chaffs in the USA. --Dr. Leo Stan Ekeh

. . . I hate you with all my Live, you may not understand the Laval of hatred I have in you -- Dr. Lambert
Bart Fargo
Corporate Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hugh Laurie's American accent is really amazing to me. And honestly I didn't recognize him at first when i saw House, I only had remembered him in Black Adder and A Bit of Fry and Laurie.

When I had visited a friend in Edinburgh I tried to do my best Scottish accent. He said I sounded like I was from India.

Stoney
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

luckey wrote:
so I watched Brave Heart dubbed in German (which I don't speak a word of).. In the regular version, Gibson speaks with an excruciating Scottish brogue.

Well he fooled you well & good considering he is an aussie!
FrumpyBB
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

luckey wrote:

Sometimes they "emulate" it with regional local accents. To take one example, The Flintstones, all posh characters have a Viennese accent.
And a more graphic example, Hogan´s Heroes, Hogan in the synchronized version speaks normal German like all the others of the "heroes" do, while dumbman Klink speaks a strong Saxonian dialect, Schultz Bavarian dialect (which fits his role) and Burkhalter also Viennese dialect (which is where the actor Leon Askin was born FWIK).
In a feeble attempt of synchronizing Monty Python´s Flying Circus, some also have strong dealects.
All dialect speaking is very strong and exaggerated. Well ok, it´s all comedies that I know and can compare the originals and synchronizations.

Safari Dan the lotto man, ARK mugu wedding
Safari Dennis the hitman, co-bait w/ Murry Guru
Safari Zake (w/ SH, SL & Craig)
Safari x 5 Modeling Mugu Meeting, w/ mewing_ghecko & Otterfan & SSC
Safari x 2 another MMM w/ SH
Safari x 13 Later shows and trips for the benefit of M00seknuckle, incl. the 0budu Fact Finding Mission

Come to our Eater University Baiting Tutorials Hello Kitty! pony Cos you deserve it. Smile Mortar x5 Closed lad accounts x50+ Sand Timer x 4 -- T.W.A.T Goat Easter Egg 2013
Badgerbait
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Always the sucker for a saucy dame with a Brit accent. 'cept maybe Cockney... Laughing

-----------
Closed lad accounts x13 Goat Easter Egg Mortar x3 x4 Elite Ninja Team Member

We are Karma's soldiers.
<a href="/forum/donate.php">Mugu Gold</a>

I must be cruel, only to be kind:
Thus bad begins and worse remains behind.
-Hamlet, scene iv

Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Renee Zellweger has it nailed in Bridget Jones. On the other hand Kevin Costner in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves was pathetic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXTj5nd2oKQ They could get from Dover to Nottingham before nightfall, and railways, too.

Most attempts are laughable, but I get enough entertainment from soft Southerners trying to do a Northern UK accent, and getting the 't' thing all wrong every time.

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
Rooted
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

lakeside77 wrote:
Meryl Streep can do any accent ...

Got to disagree on that one!

Meryl Streep's Aussie accent in 'Evil Angels' was so bad that I couldn't bear to watch her movies for years afterwards.

Become a GOLD DIGGER

Closed lad accounts x18
Mortar x1

I thank you for your mail and wish to inform you that I mate with the lawyer this afternoon...

PAY YOUR BILL PAY YOUR BILL.OR STOP WASTING YOUR TIME. BARRISTER S ZUMA ESQ.

How will be asking all that question wasting my time that is precious....

... you are a joker a deciever and also a liar ...

New User's FAQ
luckey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Roycropper wrote:
Most attempts are laughable, but I get enough entertainment from soft Southerners trying to do a Northern UK accent, and getting the 't' thing all wrong every time.

I think that sort of thing is even more irritating. Like William Hurt's attempt to do some sort of New York (or maybe Southie?) tough guy mobster accent in History of Violence. He came off sounding like he should be playing shuffle board down in Boca. Single handedly turned the movie into a comedy.

@Stoney: Please. Give me some credit. Wink

Sleepless
Goat Licker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

English is a second language for me. I learned queen's english when I was 9, but being a yankee all this time, it only comes out when I am seriously drunk Shocked I think if you live in any place for a while you pick up what the local speak Razz

"You demanded for tampax i bought it now where are you?" - Z4k3 4dams
United Kingdom Closed lad accounts x19, Safari Safari Z@ke & Charlie -Wulugu Or Bust Safaris- Lagos Nigeria to Paga ("Crocodile City") Ghana; repeat Lagos to Tokwari Ghana - 3800mi. (With SH & Craig & Frumpy )
Safari Safari Safari Nancy, Security Guy, Robert Accra to Tamale (with SH)
Morgain Le Fay
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ Quite right. When I lived in Canada and later worked for a Canadian company in the States, I spoke "Canadianese" quite well. Living all over the US I picked up a bundle of regional dialects but the nasally mid-western accent comes through with my southern expressions and the southerners know I was not born in the Deep South.

Mortar x5
TV Star
.edu's 260 reported
Click here to support 419Eater.com
US Dropbox

"You people are all Junks" - Miss E. Kabx

"Maybe you are insane as your so called sat..." Barrister Insane

The website below is available for Eater folks to use.
Film & Production Needs
Doodle Bug
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

How does the accents sound just either side of the US Canada border,
only the welsh sound like scousers just over the border with Chester

Who is this person Mickey Mouse???
trying to dercieve hoorable men like me. You are stupid man ok.
Olly3008
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

All us Brit's have completely different Accents, I for example have been told i sound like an Australian farmer, and people in my area have the slogan "I Cant read and i cant write, but i can drive a tractor" which how we say it is " i C'nt reeeed n i c'nt Write but i cn Drive a Tra-Errr".

Londoners, about and hour down the road, sound different, and most of the country pronounce Bath and Laugh as "Baff and Laff" while i pronounce it "Barth and Larth".

Many different people also skip words, for example those from yorkshire almost never use the word "The". If you ask them to say "Down the lane" they'll say "Down't Layun"

It's Impossible to sound British, as we all sound bloody different.

Me:you gonna poo on me?
Abraham 0gho:Until u become honest

Ming Yang: hold for 15mins please i want make use of the bathroom
TheDane
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's all Greek to me...

Sand Timer T.W.A.T Santa Safari Lagos-Ouagadougou-Arbinda Safari Warri-Yaoundé

I AM A FOOL AND I AM SO DISAPPOINTED - Brother Okei AKA Goat Milk Lad
I do not wish my enemy what I have experienced and this humiliation you are putting me through - Rushforth (on behalf of Dharma & Dr Mike)
Olly3008
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^
Would you like me to translate? Wink

Me:you gonna poo on me?
Abraham 0gho:Until u become honest

Ming Yang: hold for 15mins please i want make use of the bathroom
Bart Fargo
Corporate Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I need someone to translate Newfie (Newfoundland) I worked with a few of them, the accent to see sounded like a combination of Irish, and New Englander after stuffing your mouth with oatmeal. If one of them were talking to me directly I could mostly understand them, but talking amongst themselves, made no sense to me whatsoever.

Really cool guys though, they'd give the shirt off their backs to help ya!!

Nanny Ogg
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Stephen Hawkins does a good American accent

One of the worst Brit accents I heard was Daphne Moon in Frasier, ironic as Jane Leeves is a Brit, and as for Daphne's brother Simons accent???

Mind you I know a family where the 2 eldest have Midlands accents like their mum and then the family moved up to Scotland so the youngest has a Scots accent Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic