SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

ratio of victims to baiters?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
vonpaso xlura
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Are there any data that could indicate how many of the scammers' apparent victims are actually baiters?

×186
Safari Accra - SH Cotonou
you are a fake people so do not ever write to me again.
Am mad at you right now ... Am tired of your questions ... Am sick and tire you and your bank
Nigerian pig . go swallow a grenade idiot. Boko Haram will solve your problem idiot .
you are big fool by send a fake payment information and never you contact me again asshole .
your passgae bearing your ATM CATD ... Ant Terrorist Certificate ... legal verterbrate ... expartiate your meaning ... gets to your dwaignted address ... successful ofghw transfer
BRUIN
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't know of any studies, but I suspect that there are a LOT of victims. Keep in mind most victims do not come forward (out of embarrassment, etc).

The very fact that there are several tens of thousands of scammers active at any moment in time is some indication of their success - people would not be scamming if you could not make money off of it. If you assume that the average scammer gets ONE victim a month who actually pays him, and that there are 25,000 active scammers at any point in time, that works out to 300,000 victims per year.

There are probably several thousand active baiters out there (not all of them affiliated with 419eater) but we are way outnumbered both by the scammers and the victims.

Bruin

Safari Ivory Coast to Ghana by Margaret Don & Angus (WIMP) - approx 524 miles, round trip

Safari Lagos to Ghana (WIMP) by Emanuel, approx 454 miles round trip

YOU CAN GO TO HAIL - Barrister Benard Koffi

YOU HAVE REALLY INCONVINSE THE CHAMBERS AND WE HAVE NEVER ENCOUNTER SUCH DIFICULTIES - Barrister Sinega Amah

I will not and will never link you up to someone that is reputable - Thomas Malcom

UR A FUCKING DESTITUTE. U WERE A DRAIN DUCK AND NOW U A SCAM FRAUDSTAR -- SMALL TIME 419. - Marcus Owen

South Africa

Hello Kitty! <--- TS certified
Gentleman Jim
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I always thought the ratio might be quite high.

Witness, the amount of times a 'new' or amusing scam crops up (for example the 'I got your email from 419baiter.com' email) quite a lot of us all get the same one, and we all jump on it.

Having said that, there is no shortage of lads. Wink

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

There was an email that a lad accidentally sent to many people, leaving the list of addresses exposed. Among the addresses were several obvious baiter names. How often does this happen, and does it give an accurate ratio?

×186
Safari Accra - SH Cotonou
you are a fake people so do not ever write to me again.
Am mad at you right now ... Am tired of your questions ... Am sick and tire you and your bank
Nigerian pig . go swallow a grenade idiot. Boko Haram will solve your problem idiot .
you are big fool by send a fake payment information and never you contact me again asshole .
your passgae bearing your ATM CATD ... Ant Terrorist Certificate ... legal verterbrate ... expartiate your meaning ... gets to your dwaignted address ... successful ofghw transfer
Jeannette
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, I guess there are baiters and baiters, i.e. organised baiters like the ones around the Eater, and annoyed spam recipients who just want to annoy the lads back.

firehouse5
Palm Wino Aficionado

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

vonpaso xlura wrote:
There was an email that a lad accidentally sent to many people, leaving the list of addresses exposed. Among the addresses were several obvious baiter names. How often does this happen, and does it give an accurate ratio?

This happens occasionally and gives a very inaccurate ratio - a lot of baiters get their scam emails from the same sources, such as scams posted in the Surplus forum, or other sites that compile scam messages (419baiter's list has come to attention recently).

Considering the full range of scams out there, I think the number of victims is inordinately high (who knows just how many people give in to a scammer's first request, then figure out that it's a scam but then stay silent about being scammed), while the number of (organised + active) baiters might be somewhere in the hundreds.

TV StarMortar dozens Closed lad accounts Not as many piggies as you.
The details you sent do not match, check your records and reply immediate. I have forced to wait in office for two hours with out eating
bravo95
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There certainly are unfortunately plenty of victims and I would say they far outway baiters. One thing to think about is we usually deal with the absurd formats mainly because those lads are the smal bois and much more fun to bait. I'd think these formats like Nok formats have a very low success rate. The "better" lads are running the job, rental and craigslist type scams. A lot of people fall for these because the formats make a lot more sense to an unsuspecting victim then someone trying to give you millions of dollars from a trunk box.

Closed lad accounts Goat Golden Goat  Mc Fry Pole Dancer Mortar  Tattoo Easter Egg 2011

Vcamera Off to see the wizard!

United States United Kingdom Nigeria Ghana

Sand Timer Shortstuff

Safari Brother Mike co-bait with NWM : Agbor, Nigeria to Douala
Safari Brother Mike again with the help of Juan and Allst@R : Agbor to Abuja
Safari Pastor Clet Star Wars Safari Accra-Bauchi Co-Bait with NWM and the Rebels 
Safari Justice my He@vy Elecric1ty lad Accra to Tamale with the help of Alls@r and Juan
Safari Operation "Lagos spy" 
Safari The Dynamic Dumbasses 
Branwen
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

bravo95, I agree with you. I love fun baits, and maybe my next sandtimer will be thanks to the Idiot Scammer Of The Decade. But mostly I concentrate on those lads who probably get the most victims - the types that you name.

However ... don't dismiss the old predictable formats. Through ScamWarners I've learnt that people can be tricked by these too - including the Next-of-Kin scams. All that we do makes a difference ... and maybe stops the more ridiculous scammers evolving into something more easily believable ... because they are too busy waiting-and-hoping for payment from us. We believe every silly word they say - so why do they need to improve?

Bait the clever, but bait the stupid too ... let them think that their formats work!

It is your first time to use western union so therefore none can blame you. It is always like this at the first experience. - Yes lad, and at the second, and the third... you'll see.

I don't want to guess the number - But, lad, isn't that the best fun to be had with MoneyGram reference numbers?
bravo95
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ I completely agree all lads need loving Laughing

Closed lad accounts Goat Golden Goat  Mc Fry Pole Dancer Mortar  Tattoo Easter Egg 2011

Vcamera Off to see the wizard!

United States United Kingdom Nigeria Ghana

Sand Timer Shortstuff

Safari Brother Mike co-bait with NWM : Agbor, Nigeria to Douala
Safari Brother Mike again with the help of Juan and Allst@R : Agbor to Abuja
Safari Pastor Clet Star Wars Safari Accra-Bauchi Co-Bait with NWM and the Rebels 
Safari Justice my He@vy Elecric1ty lad Accra to Tamale with the help of Alls@r and Juan
Safari Operation "Lagos spy" 
Safari The Dynamic Dumbasses 
Ima Baeder
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Victims definitely FAR outnumber baiters. Crying or Very sad

While as Branwen says, there are still plenty of lottery and NOK victims, I think there are many more victims who are becoming victims not from an email that landed in their inbox, but from means that are less easily baited from than catcher accounts like sites and online ads, and, as Bravo said, make more sense to the victim. My impression is that there are a lot more romance, employment, rental, pet and auction site scam victims.

Star Mugu Reseller Mortar Closed lad accounts x 100 Sand Timer 2 Years Pretty Rose Mc Fry Mc Fry Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Flying Monkey Easter Egg 2011
D11
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Theres also different types of scam which cant easily or safely be baited.

Years ago google used to list how many websites it indexed, these days there are literally billions, even if we all went searching we would only really scratch the surface of what is actually a scam, even with tons of experience its still easy to be caught out, even supermarkets ended up on TV selling fake wine lol, paid for organic food? paid for free range eggs? Chances are in our lives we have all been scammed, and those numbers are uncounted, so based on that there is a figure.

6billion -> 40,000 ratio.

I make software that drives lads crazy. Thats my revenge on lads. (it all helps)

this transaction is 100 percent risk/hitch free - bobo

why no pay me - abum bello
because the cops will know it was you - me
ok this is good - abum bello
buried under 419 emails
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think there are a lot more victims with baiters. That is why so many mugus continue, they have to be fairly certain they will succeed.

But I think there would be a lot more if it weren’t for us. I believe us sharing the love is having a dramatic impact.

"Any money you send to Africa to receive your payment is at your own risk " David Mark

over 1,000 fakes deaded since Oct 2005. This is my current rampage! Mortar x6 Easter Egg 2011 Purple Flower
Mr Tambourine Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I expect that hitlads get a much higher than usual proportion of baiters, but most scams won't get any. There aren't enough baiters to go round.

NOW AMBACK FOR YOU AGAIN STURBORN SHIT
you dont have a phone.that makes makes you joe butt

Fuck you and go find something to do man. Stop disturbing me please.

This is definitely why you will remain and die in poverty, ignorant of good things and easy acknowledgment of bad things and words. Shame on you, you wicked generation children.

i went you to no that this is not a cheld pray. i went you to get back to me

we are not scammer,we hate scammer as you do.scammer make out life harder and harder,a lot of people think we are scammer,in fact,we are not!! please trustt us
BRUIN
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There is an article in the June/July 2011 issue of Reader's Digest Magazine, that focuses on internet scams (especially Craigslist scams) originating in one small town in Romania. The article suggests that there are some scores of scammers in this one town, that numerous W.U. storefronts have opened in the last few years, and that W.U. transfers of $10 million per year are being made to this one town.

Considering there are other ways to transfer funds, the real total is probably several times this level.

And this is just ONE little town.

Bruin

Safari Ivory Coast to Ghana by Margaret Don & Angus (WIMP) - approx 524 miles, round trip

Safari Lagos to Ghana (WIMP) by Emanuel, approx 454 miles round trip

YOU CAN GO TO HAIL - Barrister Benard Koffi

YOU HAVE REALLY INCONVINSE THE CHAMBERS AND WE HAVE NEVER ENCOUNTER SUCH DIFICULTIES - Barrister Sinega Amah

I will not and will never link you up to someone that is reputable - Thomas Malcom

UR A FUCKING DESTITUTE. U WERE A DRAIN DUCK AND NOW U A SCAM FRAUDSTAR -- SMALL TIME 419. - Marcus Owen

South Africa

Hello Kitty! <--- TS certified
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic