SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

World of Warcraft account.

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
kingoffrogs
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

For every day for about a year now I recieve 2 emails from 'World of Warcraft' telling me my account is in danger/ made inactive/ I have won a beta e.t.c.

The most suprising thing about this is I've never even played Warcraft, and have never used that email to sign up to this.

Has anyone else had this, and a way to stop it?
Jeannette
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, I don't play WOW, I just about know what it is.
My guess: The scammer sends out thousands of those emails completely at random, hoping that a certain percentage will hit an actual player.
Then he goes for the account details and passwords for further use.

kingoffrogs
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

this is what i would presume,
But would a scammer send upwards of 500 emails with no reply?
GiggleStick
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My guess is they are the same types of phishing emails that are sent out for Facebook, Paypal, etc. trying to gain access to your account for whatever reason, most likely financial. Some people run business through WoW (making add-on stuff such as spells and weapons that can be purchased from them using other methods). The other reasons could be revenge, or to take over high level characters.

If it's annoying, set up a filter that sends everything containing "Warcraft" in the subject line to your spam folder.
ateabanah
Gone fishin'

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Free beta, what! haha. Let me in on that Razz

Scammers likely spend a immense amount of time sending emails out into the wild. Unless they're smart enough to write a script to send auto emails. Which i'm sure sets off a red flag for the ISP or email host.

Sometimes they get a response cursing them, often times they get nothing. Sometimes a poor sap, or baiter.

The amount of times there is an actual response is likely very low.
SlapHappy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome to Eater, and consider yourself lucky that that is all the spam that annoys you in your box. I get fake prescription pain medication and male enhancement emails, neither of which I need or want. Wink Laughing

That's one thing about criminals and lads. They will throw everything and anything on the wall, in hopes that some of it will stick. Unfortunately, there are victims of their scams. There does not seem to be a way of completely stopping it, but we do our best to try.

Safari Safari Sand Timer (19 mo.) Tina and Joe's Safari - Accra to Niger & Timbucktu
Safari Safari Z@ke & Charlie -Wulugu Or Bust Safari- Lagos to Paga & Tokwari X2 - 3800mi.
Golden Pith x3 H3ctor & C@leb - Yankar1 & Parakou
Safari x2 Charles and Friend-Amsterdam to Vatican
Safari Issac to Chad
Be A Cool Cat, Like Me Trophy Videos Cool Stuff
pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar Goat Easter Egg 2011
Colin Ewe Stoopyd
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello all Smile

As GiggleStick said... they're phishing for account details.

Usually these types of mails are from organised 'gold' gangs.

They send out mass mails such as beta key invites (around the time that new expansions are announced), or warnings that your account is 'in violation' of something or other etc. They will give you a realistic-looking URL that takes you to a fake battle.net look-a-like.

Once they have your login details, they will log in and strip each character on your account of all in-game gold, sell all your items, and clean out your guild bank (if they have access).

The gold will then be forwarded on to a mule in order to be sold on to people via the actual gold sellers.

Now with this said, Blizzard does release beta keys when new expansions reach beta phase, but usually you have to apply for beta access before getting any sort of invite.

If you do play WoW, you can probably contact a GM in-game to verify the validity of such mails.

If you have fallen for one of these (and I have tech-savvy friends who have fallen for these prior to the latest expansion), contact Blizzard immediately and they can investigate and restore your account.

I hope this info is helpful Smile

EDIT: Baiting gold sellers and scammers in WoW can actually be fun too... I've had several tell me to 'go die in a fire' Smile
AnnaSasin
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have played WOW in the past, and still maintain my account as my kids currently play. Although I have yet to get spam emails such as the one you mentioned. I have had my account stolen on more than one occasion.

From my experience, much as stated by Colin, these scammers strip the characters and send off all the gold to later be sold on an online farming site.

I received many /tells in game with a link that I should access to receive my free reward, beta access, etc. These websites look amazingly authentic and asks you for your account name and password to login. They can get your information that simply. I however did not fall for this one.

On one occasion that I had my account stolen I found a remote keylogger had somehow been installed on my computer. More frightening than anything was the fact that so much personal information (passwords, bank info, pin numbers, credit card numbers etc) were made readily available to whoever had access to it. Never did figure out how that made it's way onto my computer. But needless to say, I'm much more careful about what I download as a result.

Blizzard tries to be very proactive against scammers. Report scams on Battle.net Take a screenshot of the person attempting to steal a password or CD-Key and mail it to [email protected]. Make sure the screenshot includes their account name and Realm. If the password stealing involves a third party program or a web page, include the URL or link.
Olly3008
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've been getting them for atleast 3 years, sometimes up to 10 a day.
My cousin is constantly falling for them, yet he always refuses to admit it, and blames everyone else in the family for when he loses his account. its pretty annoying.

Me:you gonna poo on me?
Abraham 0gho:Until u become honest

Ming Yang: hold for 15mins please i want make use of the bathroom
Squirrel
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I play the game and have done so for 5 yrs .. I too get these emails but the strange thing is the address they send it to has nothing to do with my acount and the same with my daughter.

As stated they hope you will click on the link and when you try to sign in the get sent your user name and password. They the watch for you to log off then clean out your account.

As far as stopping the emails if anyone knows how please let me know as well. Wink

edit spelling errors Embarassed
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic