SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Craigslist Work-At-Home scam

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Teh Str4y 7
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I was trolling through Craigslist in my area, sending off resumes to various job offerings. Thus far, I've got one reply, and it was depressing:

Quote:
X-Message-Delivery: Vj0xLjE7dXM9MDtsPTE7YT0wO0Q9MDtTQ0w9NA==

X-Message-Status: n

X-SID-PRA: mack solomom <[email protected]>

X-SID-Result: Pass

X-AUTH-Result: PASS

X-Message-Info: <snipped for forum blowout- dorothy>==

Received: from snt0-omc3-s27.snt0.hotmail.com ([65.55.90.166]) by SNT0-hmmc1-F12.Snt0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.4675);

Tue, 12 Apr 2011 10:11:31 -0700

Received: from SNT127-W29 ([65.55.90.136]) by snt0-omc3-s27.snt0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.4675);

Tue, 12 Apr 2011 10:11:31 -0700

Message-ID: <[email protected]>

Return-Path: [email protected]

Content-Type: multipart/alternative;

boundary="_8b6af449-2233-4bbe-9b3b-d165858512de_"

X-Originating-IP: [41.155.81.244]

Reply-To: <[email protected]>

To: <>

Subject: Fill This Application And Email It Back Here Asap!!!

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 17:11:31 +0000

Importance: Normal

In-Reply-To: <[email protected]>

References: <[email protected]>

MIME-Version: 1.0

X-OriginalArrivalTime: 12 Apr 2011 17:11:31.0293 (UTC) FILETIME=[AB0358D0:01CBF934]

Thanks for your interests in the PA position, I will deeply appreciate all genuine efforts to help me monitor and keep up to date with all my activities. I most very often get my hands occupied because am working with many companies both states and outside,

so it is imperative for me to have a worthy assistant who can monitor and keep me up to date with my activities. As my assistant, your activities amongst other things will include: Make travel arrangements and submit expenses for Attorneys Order office supplies, Running personal errands,Check Processing Filing

documents,faxing,printing and typing letters Web research, Internet search skills and posting ads Quality communication etiquette skills and good organizational skills Serious sense of humor required and mandatory to work with me Ability to handle highly sensitive and confidential information Perform duties with accuracy, quality, and integrity You can only apply for this position if you own a printer and personal computer. Basic wage is $500 a weekly About me:

My name is Mr Mack Solomom, i have a family of 3 and i am a Realtor and Lawyer.I travel alot,

hence the reason why i need an assistant to handle affairs for me on the home front when i am away on business which is usually quite often. This position is home-based and flexible you can be in any location,working with me is basically about instructions and following them, my only fear is that I may come at you impromptu sometimes,

I need someone who can be able to meet up with my i regular timings.There is also a very sensitive issue on trust and accountability which I believe will resolve itself as time goes on.

This is only an introductory e-mail, as time goes on we should be able to arrange a proper meeting to get things started officially. I do have a number of things you could help me with this week if you will be available for me. This can act as a stable foundation to our working relationship. Note:This position is home base office work you can be in any location and work with me from your home. Let me know your interest if you are ready to work with me from your home Mon-Fri @ 10am

So Fill This Application And Email It Back Here Asap!!!

First Name______________________

Middle Name___________________________

Last Name_____________________________

Street Address_____________________________

City, State, Zip Code______________________________________

Sex________Age_________

Nationality___________________________

Cell Phone Number (___)___________________________________

Home Phone Number(___)___________________________________

Email:____________________________

Current Job:____________________________

Hope to hear from you soon...

Mr Mack

The header read as coming from Lagos, and I've seen enough scam emails to know the signs.

It's a depressing scam because to get this email I had already sent a reply...which had my resume attached. Now I'm worried that my contact information might be used for fishy purposes.

"THE GOD WHICH I WORSHIP DO NOT CURSE HIS OWN, BUT I PRONUNCE YOU CURSED FOR EVER AND EVER AND YOU AND YOUR FAMILY IN THE MIGTHY NAME OF JESUS WHOM I WORSHIP. AMEN." george kabia
"LET THE UNQUENCHABLE FIRE OF THE HOLY GHOST BURN YOU FOREVER AND EVER IN THE MIGHTY NAME OF JESUS AMEND." george kabia (again)
"GO BEHIND ME SATAN."--Benson Obagha
Jeannette
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome Teh Str4y,
you did not send your banking details, did you? In that case, you'd need to contact your bank.
As for your address, the lad won't show up on your door step any time soon - what's the price for a return ticket from Lagos? Very Happy
He might have been in a hurry and have already posted a fake cheque - congratulations! Take a felt marker with permanent ink, write "FAKE" onto the cheque, frame it as a souvenir. - Or just tear it to tiny shreds and throw it away. You could get angry mails from the lad asking about the money, even phone calls, but eventually he will go away.

Teh Str4y 7
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't generally put my banking details on my Resume.

My main worry is that my name and/or address might get used to scam someone else. If I happen to get any fake checks, I'll keep them...I just don't want my stuff being used to sucker some other poor soul.

I dunno if he opened the resume or not...I got this reply after sending a response to a Craigs List ad, which looked fairly innocuous.

"THE GOD WHICH I WORSHIP DO NOT CURSE HIS OWN, BUT I PRONUNCE YOU CURSED FOR EVER AND EVER AND YOU AND YOUR FAMILY IN THE MIGTHY NAME OF JESUS WHOM I WORSHIP. AMEN." george kabia
"LET THE UNQUENCHABLE FIRE OF THE HOLY GHOST BURN YOU FOREVER AND EVER IN THE MIGHTY NAME OF JESUS AMEND." george kabia (again)
Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Is it possible? Yes.

Is it likely? No.

The simple fact is, between directory sites like whitepages.com and social networking sites like facebook and twitter (where the majority of people are oblivious to security needs) they can get as much information (or more) about millions of other people.

Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Damn it! The other job I sent a resume to is ALSO a fucking scam!

Quote:
X-Message-Delivery: Vj0xLjE7dXM9MDtsPTE7YT0xO0Q9MDtTQ0w9MA==

X-Message-Status: n

X-SID-PRA:

X-SID-Result: Pass

X-AUTH-Result: PASS

X-Message-Info: JGTYoYF78jFvJqc9xIb7Jd8Gf7SoVBYETQZrDES+2Ac4FXnS9dPT7JsM3K08E5rzPTxwVvgJOCAtnVtU+0xlfm/6Bc3yWbZKWBjC4bI0/l+ki0+e/x+bsQ==

Received: from snt0-omc3-s9.snt0.hotmail.com ([65.55.90.148]) by SNT0-hmmc1-F7.Snt0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.4675);

Sun, 17 Apr 2011 15:45:18 -0700

Received: from SNT131-W4 ([65.55.90.135]) by snt0-omc3-s9.snt0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.4675);

Sun, 17 Apr 2011 15:45:18 -0700

Message-ID: <[email protected]>

Return-Path:

Content-Type: multipart/alternative;

boundary="_91a78f67-9d8b-4e08-a2bb-64afbee52b65_"

X-Originating-IP: [41.58.64.96]

Reply-To: <[email protected]>

To: <scrubbed>

Subject: RE: Resposne to Craiglsist Ad

Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 18:45:18 -0400

Importance: Normal

In-Reply-To: <[email protected]>

References: <[email protected]>

MIME-Version: 1.0

X-OriginalArrivalTime: 17 Apr 2011 22:45:18.0433 (UTC) FILETIME=[202F2510:01CBFD51]

Hello There,
Hope you're having a pleasant day today? You contacted me applying for the position which I advertised on Craigslist. Do take time to go through this introductory mail and feel free to pass any questions on.
Robert Davis is My name. I have been a photographer for over 30 years and also has been teaching photography for 20 years. I bring a unique teaching style to students which will guarantee creative and fun learning by all student photographers while elevating them to new, exciting photographic heights that they have only dreamed of.I often conduct LIVE slide/talk lectures on Understanding Exposure, the Art of Seeing, Macro Photography and Photographing People throughout the USA, Great Britain and Asia.At the moment, I am in a work-ship in the Great Britain.I will be here for a month after which I will fly down to Philippines for a Live-slide/talk show lectures with some students.

YOUR DUTIES AS MY PERSONAL ASSISTANT.

While I am out of the states, I need some one who can stand in the gap for me.His/her duties will be the following

1.To receive letters and mails on my behalf.
2.Receive checks and money orders from clients who want to attend the forth coming workshops or Live shows.
3.Schedule appointments for me.
4.Book my flight tickets.
5.Send letters and mails from my clients.

This position is home-based and flexible part time job,you can be in any location to carry out any of the activities.All you need do is to check your emails twice daily and keep your phone on most times in case i might need to call you from anywhere i may be.I do have a number of things you could help me with this week if you will be available to start.This can act as a stable foundation to our working relationship.Let me know if you have any of the office equipment (If not,I will make arrangements to send them to your address)

Printer:
Personal Laptop/Desktop:
Internet Access:
Scanner:
Fax machine:
Lamina tor (pouch type):
Paper Cutter: (up/down cutter type)

For proper review (since i am not available now to set up a face-to-face interview) supply out correctly the information below.

FIRST NAME ...................... SURNAME...................
ADDRESS.................
CITY ............STATE............................
ZIP CODE............COUNTRY..................
PHONE NUMBER (S) ........................
PRESENT OCCUPATION..............................
GENDER.............MARITAL STATUS........
AGE..............NATIONALITY.................
Email....................
Scanned copy of your ID: (You can provide that later when you are employed)

Note: It will be of added advantage if you can provide 2 references from your past employments.

Qualification:

1.Educational background is not a criteria.
2.You must be Organized and able to take instructions well Dependable, Reliable, Trustworthy a must
3.Must have excellent English language skills (both spoken and written)
4.Have great work ethic and attitude, as well as people skills, pay-attention to detail, capable of multi-tasking, and works well under stress at times.

Benefits:
- Yearly performance bonus
- Paid vacation/sick/personal days
- Medical benefits

Salary:
$500 weekly($2,000 monthly)
Also,there will be compensation for efficiency and hard working.

Thanks
Robert Davis
NOTE: FOR QUICK RESPONSE WE CAN TALK THROUGH YAHOO INSTANT MESSAGER, MY ID IS ()

Another Nigerian sender. That's it. I'm never applying for clerical work via Craigslist again.

At least I'm thankful to 419eater for teaching me how to recognize these things for what they are--I might have bought this one (as it's plausible a photographer might not have the best typing skills) but the header says this is from Nigera and anything asking me to deal with checks for a person I never met is a big red flag, as well as the extra information requested (most of which should have been gleaned from the resume I sent).

Friggin' Craigslist.

Jeannette
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Our friends over at Scamwarners will be interested in these details.
http://www.scamwarners.com/

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic