SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

guides on PayPal usage

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
buggerup
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've got a scammer trying to buy a car I'm selling. This is their 3rd attempt (different email addy but the wording of the ads are similar including poor grammar)
each time they have asked about PayPal. I have an account and am obviously not willing to use it. Apart from saying the account is locked, any other suggestions?
One thing that is interesting is that they haven't read the ad I posted and keep asking the price. Given that I have trebled the price to see if they are reading.
The most recent one is apparently in the UK so I am "placing" myself there as well.

Thanks in advance
buggerup
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

They have also used a phone number from FleXible Telecoms. This one is trying to be smart
leonsumbitches
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You could (in Opera or Firefox with firebug) edit the html of a paypal page to show that your character's account has been locked, then send a screenshot. For added verisimilitude, you could edit in some previous transactions with men named Mfwume, Sanusi, and Obilor.

GYV::Tanstaafl::Abiga::Game-theory::Church-Sites Easter Egg 2011
Closed lad accounts x 18 (10 from Tanstaafl baits) United Kingdom x 5 United States x 2 Ivory Coast Netherlands Malaysia Nigeria x 2 Spain
Safari SW Bait - Cl3tus Orof3 Accra->8auchi->Accra->Lagos, co-bait with Nowhere Man, Bravo, The Dane & psychicbait
insults and more
How to kill a Badger
Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^There's really no point to doing that. It won't serve any purpose, and it's best not to give them fake screenshots that they can reuse for their own purposes.

The scammer doesn't plan to do anything with your paypal account. All they actually want is the linked email address. This particular scam consists of sending you a fake paypal email essentially saying the money has been paid and will be released to you once you have paid the "shipper."

Anybody who uses paypal frequently is unlikely to fall for this, but people who have only used it once or twice are vulnerable.

While some scammers run several formats at the same time and may have access to other options (e.g. fake checks, stolen credit cards), not all scammers have access to these things. Once you tell them you won't use paypal, most of these scammers will disappear, because they don't have another scam option. So they just drop you and move on. If they are running other suitable formats, they may be able to switch gears and offer a check istead.

Since you are really selling a car, it is best not to bait them or push back as you are not baiting safely.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic