SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Nigerian Scam - by physical mail!

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
pinguisavis
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Today, much to my bewilderment, the postman gave me an envelope with red and blue borders, "By air mail/Par avion", with a South Africa stamp.

It was addressed to my grandmother (who died at 97 last August and has never touched a computer let alone leaving her data on the Internet

The address was something like

First Name Second Name
Road, number, Province
ITALY

yeah you read right, no surname, no city name, no ZIP code.
It was like if someone sent the letter to

Abraham Smith
Douglas Avenue 130
Kansas

Inside, an elegant-looking letter from the National South Africa Bank and the usual scam letter for 18 million dollars, with a link to the BBC news page about the plane tragedy in which the owner of the money died.

Funny thing: a letter in English sent to a 97 years old in Italy. How likely is she to know English?
Dangerous thing: Many other people around here that I know received the same letter today.

How can this be happening? Where did they get the addresses from? And also, why would they spend real money to deliver real mail?
internationalchrysis
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Could be a relic from the pre-internet days when all scam letters where sent in the mail.

The internet quickly became their friend, but maybe your lad is hoping to fly under the radar by doing it the old fashioned way.

Other forum members have received scam letters by fax as well

Safari x1 (Senegal to Gambia)
"You can go now and f*ck yourself with a donkey or horse because you really need to be f*cked by a donkey or horse"
(George Michael's brother Frank/Frannypoo)

"You are a dead meat!"
(Léon the (Not so) Professional)

Closed lad accounts (19 in total:
x2 Léon the (not so) Professional. x4 Via Swindler's list. x4 Via Will and Grace the Law Firm. x3 *Hitman, x1 Hitman: The sequel!, , x1 Haiti scam, x1 The Bimbo (via Umbongo Chambers),
x1 Rita the ETA eater, x1 Via Team Doughnut, x1 Via Prince Emaka, x4 via the Nazis)
pinguisavis
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well this is new to me.
But again I live in Italy so maybe spammers concentrated on anglophone countries, not having to translate the letter in many languages. I still wonder what did they expect to achieve sending English letters in a non anglophone country
(I know, I'm writing in English, but I'm a rare case)
internationalchrysis
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I suspect that they simply mail out the letter, assuming everyone speaks english. I've discovered during my time at eater that a lot of lads have little interest in things outside their country and assume (often incorrectly) that whatever they do in their country will happen elsewhere

"You can go now and f*ck yourself with a donkey or horse because you really need to be f*cked by a donkey or horse"

"You are a dead meat!"

x2 Léon the (not so) Professional. x4 Via Swindler's list. x4 Via Will and Grace the Law Firm. x3 *Hitman, x1 Hitman: The sequel!, , x1 Haiti scam, x1 The Bimbo (via Umbongo Chambers),
x1 Rita the ETA eater, x1 Via Team Doughnut, x1 Via Prince Emaka, x4 via the Nazis)
pinguisavis
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Now I'm in two minds

Reply to him telling him I received a real letter, and those can't be scams (thus making him send and spend more, but with the risk other people may fall for it)

Or reply to him as if it was an email?
internationalchrysis
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

if there's an email addy, why not do both? Write back as two different people and see what happens or which format he writes back to. then bait away Smile

btw, with the physical mail, why not write back in Italian, you'll have a laugh at their reply, while causing lad more work

"You are a dead meat!"

piecrust
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hang on, hang on, what about the don't bait with your real details rule.
If you bait them well, they by definition will be pisssed off with you and frustrated and may well come round in person. - If you feel ready to deal with a half dozen angry lads on your doorstep demanding to know how you're going to compensate them for their troubles that YOU caused - then go ahead.
Otherwise I suggeest you create a fake E-Mail account or two with no personally identifiable info attached and bate safe.

The Responsible forum management. (Unofficial)
pinguisavis
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well of course I am not going to tell them any of my real detail.
The address they used was so vague it could have been anywhere within 60 miles, only that for their fortune there is only one road called like mine in the whole area.

I am not going to remember them who I am, my name, nothing. Don't worry.
piecrust
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Good, just checking. Wink

Bate safe and let us know how it goes. And above all, give 'em hell. Twisted Evil
lakeside77
A chaff in the USA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

internationalchrysis wrote:
Could be a relic from the pre-internet days when all scam letters where sent in the mail.

Did you check the postmark? Maybe they mailed it sometime in the 80s and it has been bouncing around in the Italian postal system all that time.

Closed lad accounts x26 Easter Egg 2012 United KingdomNigeria x3 Thailand x2 Guinea BissauBeninGermanyNetherlands
Sand Timer Father Frank

I must let you know that am sick and tired of all this whole bull sheet do you know my ass is on the line - Jonh Raymund

i want to say i am very sorry for the Mother that gave Barth to you -- Jim Ovie

. . . it is disrespectful,malicious, an ILEDAN EYE,to our corporation and embarrassing to my secretary as he was messed up by your action. I thought I was assisting a true American gentleman without knowing that I am trying to help one of the most chaffs in the USA. --Dr. Leo Stan Ekeh

. . . I hate you with all my Live, you may not understand the Laval of hatred I have in you -- Dr. Lambert
the vampire
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Has that letter actually been send by the postal system? Didn't the lads just throw the letters in the mailbox themselfs?

I'm always right! - Branwen
GoatEaster Egg Penguin Pole Dancer Purple Flower Mc Fry
pinguisavis
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

No that's the weird thing. It has a stamp, that weird orange barcode and was given to me by the postman himself
Mr Tambourine Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It was 1970 in this forum yesterday. The letter probably slipped through the time warp.

NOW AMBACK FOR YOU AGAIN STURBORN SHIT
you dont have a phone.that makes makes you joe butt

Fuck you and go find something to do man. Stop disturbing me please.

This is definitely why you will remain and die in poverty, ignorant of good things and easy acknowledgment of bad things and words. Shame on you, you wicked generation children.

i went you to no that this is not a cheld pray. i went you to get back to me

we are not scammer,we hate scammer as you do.scammer make out life harder and harder,a lot of people think we are scammer,in fact,we are not!! please trustt us
Mortal
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Did they mention a way to contact them, or something?

Are you familiar with the address, is it somewhere in your area?

Safari George: Accra -> Togo I really want to do business with you, because i know you are an Angel send to rescue me by God.
Czech RepublicUnited StatesNigeriaGhanaGermany x6
GOD PUNISH YOU, GOD PUNISH YOU, GOD PUNISH YOU. Mr. Olisa
Every night a phonecall from you, you talk rubbish. Mr. Olisa
Juan's hidden fries!
Terror Mask
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

pinguisavis wrote:
No that's the weird thing. It has a stamp, that weird orange barcode and was given to me by the postman himself

Odd. As a fellow countryman, I'll be on the lookout.

I GOT YOUR MAIL RIGHT NOW BUT THE PAYMENT SLIP THAT YOU SEND TO ME DID NOT SHOW ANY SIGNAL - Barr. St3v3 Mus4 4g4w4

.......i need to know cuz i like to do thing to pleased my self ok - John (or Frank) Smith.

FOOL I DON`T CARE HOW MUCH YOU MAKE IN 3 DAY. GOD GO PUNISH YOU LITTLE RAT. BEAST LIKE UR FATHER.... FUCK YOU AND FUCK UR FAMILY... U MOTHERFUCTHER (Barr. Michael Rich) Easter Egg 2011
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic