SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Car Purchase- How Does This Scam Work?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Loki66
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A guy I work with has a classic car posted for sale on a legitimate site. He got an email last week from a Smurff Gary who was interested in buying his car. Smurff gave an address about 6 hours from here and of course couldn't use the phone to talk about the deal or come here to do business as he was leaving town. His deal was to send full payment for the car PLUS extra for shipping through the shipping company that he would make arrangements with...all in a certified cashiers check.

I overheard this and knew it was a scam for numerous reasons and warned the guy about it so I feel good that I saved him from getting screwed. The only problem is that I have a few ideas of different ways this would have worked but none of them am I really sure of. Would he have actually shipped the car and then been out of the car AND the money when the check went bad? Or maybe he would not even have gotten to the point of shipping the car?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

-Pastor Rebecca

THANKS FOR YOUR ANTICIPATED COPERATION WHILE YOU ASK YOUR SELF WHEATHER YOU ARE TELLING US THE TRUTH OR ARE YOU AN IMPOSTOR?
- Mr Edwards Robert- Lotto Paying Dept
Tom Terrific
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yup. Bad check would be sent probably for more than the sale price "by accident" Your buddy would then be asked to send the difference via Western Union to the "shippers". When the check bounced days or weeks later he would be out the dough. I see it all the time as I buy and sell a lot on E-Bay and Craig'slist. I have a separate Gmail account that I punish them from. Wink

"Send money now or I do voodoo on you and make die!"
Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The scammer couldn't care less about the car--in this variant of scam, he is only after cash. The shipping company is fake (it's the scammer himself). Your friend would be told to cash the check and pay the "shipper," who conveniently only accepts Western Union or Moneygram.

The car would never go anywhere. The "shipper" would simply disappear with the shipping fee. Then when the fake check is discovered, your friend is out the money he sent to the "shipper" plus the charges he will undoubtedly be hit with for depositing a fake check.

Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the replies. I knew I could count on an answer here.

-Pastor Rebecca

THANKS FOR YOUR ANTICIPATED COPERATION WHILE YOU ASK YOUR SELF WHEATHER YOU ARE TELLING US THE TRUTH OR ARE YOU AN IMPOSTOR?
- Mr Edwards Robert- Lotto Paying Dept
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic